Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
You fucking faggots can't see this is the game of the decade

What's a good tactical game to the Codex now? Do you even have a notion of it?

If JA2 came out today we'd get someone telling us about how much it lacks content and is repetitive. I don't know man, I don't think I can take this place anymore

Any game with content. JA2 had tons of content. JA2 had complexity and depth. This game is neither an rpg nor a tactical game. You get a mission go have one battle travel back and turn in mission. The battles are not tactical, the system is not complex, the chargen is not existant, the chardev is lite and too simple. This is a hipster game for idiots. It is popular because it is popular, like Pyre and Undertale and other hipster shit games. This is a simple puzzle game like checkers but with down syndrome looking characters instead of round pieces and some rpg-lite elements.

I am willing to bet there is a huge crossover of love for this game and Dark Soul games. Just games people love because they are told they should love them. Godffall had better everything, including combat. Compare and contrast the actual systems objectively and tell me I am wrong. Keep going when BB runs out of them and Godfall still has a bunch more to list.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Answering to JarlFrank : That's absolutely true, modding was ideal for the game. And you dont even need real animations or voice acting or anything. Just some drawing,code and text. But..

Nirvash

Liturgist
Really, where the hell is the cavalry mod/expansion... the "we orc/goblins/undead", the "we lord" etc...

Kuattro

Augur
Adding cavalry or "lording" (I expect that means getting a castle, controlling settlements, etc.) would have been a horrible mistake. Thank fuck they didn't commit it.

If you want to play M&B, go play M&B.

Dayyālu

Arcane

The point is not to add M&B features to BB: it's that M&B would have been dead and buried a decade ago if not for the open structure. BB needs variety. Terrain (swamps and forests already give you interesting tactical differences, just imagine better done hills\forts\underground battlefields). More enemy types. Fix the weird "roguelike death ratio with non-disposable goons" problem. This thread has given top-tier suggestions on how to improve the game, and it's mostly from people that liked it.

Hell, I liked it.

BB can sadly attain only an also-ran status, as it lacks MP and you can see everything it has to offer in 10 hours if you play it thoroughly enough. We aren't mad at the game... we are simply.... how to say.... sad to see it sink?

Kuattro

Augur

The point is not to add M&B features to BB: it's that M&B would have been dead and buried a decade ago if not for the open structure. BB needs variety. Terrain (swamps and forests already give you interesting tactical differences, just imagine better done hills\forts\underground battlefields). More enemy types. Fix the weird "roguelike death ratio with non-disposable goons" problem. This thread has given top-tier suggestions on how to improve the game, and it's mostly from people that liked it.

Hell, I liked it.

BB can sadly attain only an also-ran status, as it lacks MP and you can see everything it has to offer in 10 hours if you play it thoroughly enough. We aren't mad at the game... we are simply.... how to say.... sad to see it sink?

I may or may not agree with all that (well, I agree, of course Battle Brothers could have more content and variety and it would be better).

I was referring to adding cavalry (other than wolf riders) and taking over settlemens, which in my opinion would clash with both the setting and the systems in place.

And would also make BB just a wannabe M&B clone, which, as I said, you can get just by playing the original game.

EDIT: Also... I'm not that sure about the sinking part. Battle Brothers had a peak of players around release (obviously), and later has mantained around 500 average players, which is not that bad for a niche indie game I think.

And the Steam forum still has some healthy discussions.

Godfall, a game with which BB was unfavourably compared in this thread, has less than 30 average players, and its peak was half of BB's, even though it was released a month ago.

So I don't know if BB has sunk THAT much.

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I was recently playing and can tell that end game is awfully done.
Its just grind against hordes of identical enemy parties that you wipe out by dozens with no real effect. Also fighting goblins with shamans is just a pain. They never get tired, hit with 100% and have decent initiative for some old farts. Then there are undead that just tire you(it looks like their tactics even affect layer - some real meta gaming) and are most boring enemy to fight. Either zombie that you just kill few times or skeletons with their shield wall. No morale, no injuries, no fatigue. Half the tactics that can be used against orcs or humans gone. No fun, no fun at all.
Overall enemy factions lack any personalities and use the same tactics again and again. I think they use the same AI. No difference for sub-factions that only have different crest or banner.

Settlements can burn in a a moment as there is no siege mechanic.
They make contract that spawn siege, Why they can not make that few enemy parties organize siege around settlement(by constructing siege machines) and either noble house relief them or they will be assaulted and fall in few days. It would allow player to go on the rescue or even for noble house to organize response. Not even mention lack of fortifications on global and tactical map.
I actually have fun earlier just grinding but lack of global map mechanics driving me mad.
I think I will do a list with details what exactly is wrong and what should be done to perfect game in current state and point bad design that should be replaced by something else. Not that I have any hopes that it will be done but hey. Another pointless exercise.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
1337 hours or bust Sarissofoi
I can bet he has approximately twice as that

I gonna get 1337 hours, screen cap and post here.

Do not get me wrong I like this game actually and enjoy grind(to some extent) but some things infuriate me. Its good could be great and maybe even almost perfect.
But instead we get stuck with half done could be amazing game.
I can not sight with sadness when I see art and that this good looking game gonna be dead soon.

Damn you OverNerf. This hunger can not be satisfied.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I really, really hate some designs in this game.
When I play I just can't stand them and it kills my will to play. But then after some time I get this urge to play some more and then it strikes me again how horribly shallow global map is(even if pretty good looking) or so damn annoying or frustrating some mechanics are.
And that is not even end of this. Battles and battle terrain is all randomly generated - so you can not fight the same fight twice. Which is a big no for me as sometimes you play, make stupid mistake and then want to replay it as you try to resolve problem. But no.
Anyway its really depressing.
I can sense how much potential this game have. I can almost touch it. But I can not. Its left for dead.
Damn.

Also I just lost village some like day after crisis ended. Which mean 3rd settlement in this crisis.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dude you are right but the game is not intended to be played for 1000 hours. I mean it's cool that you can do that but yeah, like many other games in the world, in about 20-30 hours you could stop. It took me much more than that because I really like it but you are really :deadhorse: at this point.
Yes they could've done stuff, they didn't. The game is good for what it is but has limited content that if you don't enjoy, will get boring after a while.
I guess we can stop repeating the same discussion now? How about we try to milk info on what they're gonna do next?

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Dude, quit torturing yourself on this and play Deepest Dark already.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Dude you are right but the game is not intended to be played for 1000 hours. I mean it's cool that you can do that but yeah, like many other games in the world, in about 20-30 hours you could stop. It took me much more than that because I really like it but you are really :deadhorse: at this point.
Yes they could've done stuff, they didn't. The game is good for what it is but has limited content that if you don't enjoy, will get boring after a while.
I guess we can stop repeating the same discussion now? How about we try to milk info on what they're gonna do next?

I refuse.
There could be so much done even using the current engine - only if it was not locked. Dammit.
Why they not outsource this to somebody? I bet they could find some guys who would made some DLC content cheap if they do not want waste their own time.
TBH I am not interested in their new project at all. Hype died.
Either they will use the same still locked engine for a 20-30h game as this one that only some autist or masochist will play longer or they will use new one and at this point BoringLord will hopefully be released. Also their new settings do not really appeal to me - either scifi or after apocalypse now(probably both).
And where exactly you want milk this info? Either they speak or not. When was last time raps even speak here?

Is Dankest Dungeon even good?
I remember having fun but not really played much and when style and narration was really great it was just to grindy even for me.

Kuattro

Augur
Either they will use the same still locked engine for a 20-30h game as this one that only some autist or masochist will play longer

23442.jpg

I know, I know, the joke's already been made quite some times in this thread, but this shit just writes itself, doesn't it.

Bocian

Arcane
Adding cavalry or "lording" (I expect that means getting a castle, controlling settlements, etc.) would have been a horrible mistake. Thank fuck they didn't commit it.

rating_citation.png

Don't see how settlement management would work, looking at how the gameplay is constructed, but some cavalry (at least as scouts or skirmishers) would be a nice touch.

jungl

Augur
ya this games definitely not designed to be played too long. Late game, want to fight orcs? every brother needs a maul. Hopefully their next game is done much better.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Orcs actually can be fun to fight at higher levels.
Goblins on the other hand. Not so much.
Nets and shamans and snipers. Shamans especially. They are so annoying to fight especially with combination of enemy superior numbers and unfavorable terrain.
Nets plus vines plus insects plus daggers = pure frustration. And they never get tired and have pretty high fatigue and HP for a old farts.
Overall Orcs are the most fight against faction. Sure Bersekers can one shot guys and warriors can solo your early company but still fighting against them is rather fun.
Goblins are pure frustration as noted earlier. You can not even reliable out-shoot them thanks to shamans and boosted ranged defense for them.
Undead. Zombies are most boring one but bones are not so far away. No injuries, no morale, no fatigue. Boring.
Bandits and noble troops are pretty fun when they not snipe your guys with the xbows.
But Orcs are the best.
To be honest factions really have limited enemy types. Is adding few more would be that much a problem? I wonder.
I mean goblins have 5(plus wolves), orcs 4, zombies 4(plus necro), bones 5. Bandits have more but only because more hero/champion units. Few more mid tier units would greatly help - even some more variation in enemy party compositions and unit weapon/armor choices.
The same goes for weapon types. At first they are fine but with added multiple weapon specialization perks its not really that great especially that you can have limited recruits and training them take long. Too bad that weapons types consist of straight upgrades and zero variation in skills.

rating_citation.png

Don't see how settlement management would work, looking at how the gameplay is constructed, but some cavalry (at least as scouts or skirmishers) would be a nice touch.

When I agree that owning settlements would be too much - veteran houses could become a sort of bases for a player. A place that can be bought for high amount of cash and only if you have high rep with the owner. It could serve as a warehouse mostly but also as place where player could stash some brothers on rehabilitation, training, guard duty, paid vacation or put them on hire so they would earn some money. Or retire them and get some bonus to the company. It could be also place to hire non combat followers that could offer some buffs to the company in similar way of companions in Sid Meier Pirates.
And I am not fond of cavalry. It would change the gameplay balance too much. Too bad that they abandon idea of world with no horses. Although ponies or mules for faster global map movement would be nice.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Sarissofoi no point in dwelling over the dead game. There comes the point in life where you have to move over. Sure its hard if you spent so much time on this, but really what's the point of this theorycrafting, when there won't be ever any mod support?
It's more productive to reminiscent about another mod for 20 yers old XCOM than dwell on this game. It's finished and you have to somehow manage with your grief. See some therapist if its too hard for you ;)

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter

Sarissofoi no point in dwelling over the dead game. There comes the pont in life where you have to move over. Sure its hard if you spent so much time on this, but really what's the point of this theorycrafting, when there won't be ever any mod support?
It's more productive to reminiscent about another mod for 20 yers old XCOM than dwell on this game. It's finished and you have to somehow manage with your grief. See some therapist if its too hard for you ;)

thumb_MGSUYPEE103120161244.png

You mean we better talk about this?

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Is Dankest Dungeon even good?
I remember having fun but not really played much and when style and narration was really great it was just to grindy even for me.

No, Derpest Dungeon is utter dogshit, unless you like trolling autistic SJWs on their forums in which case it's great and also free.

I was talking about Deepest Dark for Lords of Xulima.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=538266546

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom