Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance gets a new story trailer, now available for preorder on Steam

hivemind

the voice acting is ok imo just the animation sync feels weird

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
CNN: Trump is a nazi.
Me: No, u retarded, he's not perfect but far from nazi.
CNN: Why u so emotionally invested in defending him. :removes-his-moral-highground-monocle-cleans-it-puts-it-back: Not arguing, just noting your behavior.
Your analogy would make sense if there was a video of trump holding a nazi flag and sieg hailing with erika playing in the background.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
  • Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660, AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
  • Storage: 30 GB available space

Better graphics, lower requirements than Underworld Ascendant. The difference between a good engine and a bad one.

Also why are they still hiding the combat?

I'd guess because first person melee is terrible. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure but the game was supposed to take it more seriously than clickclickclickclick with a more tactical melee combat designed with HEMA experts.

Joshposting again

I feel that a 1st person perspective will always handicap melee. The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even if - in the end - the game turns out to be shit (I really hope not) it was at least a noble effort to try and produce an RPG set in real medieval setting, and not "Generic Renaissance-Fair Fantasy World" RPG #569.
I'd really like devs to invest on more experiences like these.

Aside from Darklands and Mount&Blade: WF&S I can't remember any more CRPGs set in pre-20th century real world.

Delterius

Arcane
Yeah, there are some issues with the lip synch but I've been looking forward to Kingdom Comrade ever since Jarl's preview. The world is pretty and content is king. Not to mention how releases like these reflect the countries they were made in. Looking forward to the day we'll get games from all over the world.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
That trailer is pretty messy. Seems the voice acting lacks directional mixing, and that every other sound that isn't NPC voices is muted. For example when the guy wakes up at the start or the woman grabs his hand, there's no sound whatsoever to represent these movements. When the woman is walking around with the basket in her hand, there's no footstep sounds either. Not even the door cranking.

That's why it sounds so fucking awkward.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You don't have to be a genius to make the observations that Josh made about forst person melee combat. Regardless of them being correct, people still play and enjoy first person melee combat.

I liked both the trailer, the face animations and the voice acting? What's your problem?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lol what a bunch of idiots and bandwagon-jumping sheeple ITT. :lol:

Voiceacting is great, some of the best British actors were doing it. Problem is, and always was, with the mother, don't understand how Vavra doesn't see that. And the "What the fuck are you doing!!" dude is Toby, Warhorse German-Czech PR manager, it's an easter egg or some such.

Dialogue animation is still raw true, it's mainly bc of the unmoving eyes I'd say. But that's why the release was postponed by about 8 months, to iron out things like that.

Comparisons with Witcher are retarded, CD Projekt is a gigantic studio compared to Warhorse and TW3 cost 80 milion to develop and market (they also got all kinds of state and EU subsidies btw). KCD's budget is what, 7 milion? We'll talk in half a year if the difference in overall content quality is also tenfold.

U jelly coz ur Polak brethren make a good game while Czechs make a low rent copy in Two Worlds' league? Is it CDPR's fault for making games that sell and thus be able to make something with a large budget? Don't do the 'but, bcoz' relativism argument. You can make fantastic games on a small budget like Gothic 1 proved. Problem with this Czech shit is they are trying to ape Witcher rather than trying to make a Gothic and if you do that, then don't whine about complaints about the result with flaccid retorts about 'muh small budget'.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am glad I don't give a shit about voice acting. It is great if good, but it doesn't damage my enjoyment much if it's not good. I was able to play Oblivion and Skyrim for fuck sake.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Is this an actual rpg? Or just more survival/crafting game nonsense with some rpg-lite elements?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Is this an actual rpg? Or just more survival/crafting game nonsense with some rpg-lite elements?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Mechanics-wise, as far as we can tell so far, it's closest to Skyrim, with much bigger accent on speech/diplomacy and lesser on crafting.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Joshposting again

I feel that a 1st person perspective will always handicap melee. The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.

Maybe VR can alleviate this in the future.

The facial animations have much improved and while they don't exactly look great they are more than adequate. The much more unappealing part about the trailer, IMO, is that it paints the game as having a typical hollywood coming of age story of a shitpeasant becoming some great force of vengeance because his home village got burned down or whatever. The generic epic music and the overused OMINOUS INDUSTRIAL SOUND FOR NO REASON near the end did not help at all.

Mind you, the game's story could be very interesting - I am just saying that the game's trailer does not paint it as such.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I can imagine that the game is not easy to sell outside its core audience - maybe they still are experimenting a bit with tonality and message.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom