Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The great thing about that article is that it naively suggests letting Obsidian get another crack at it, even though only one writer remains.

I'd actually love to see Sega give it to Avellone so he could do it without Obsidian. Has there ever been a case where a publisher gave a sequel (as opposed to a spiritual successor) to the primary creative force of its predecessor but without the original studio involved?

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yes, there is, and in fact, the most recent example of it would be Sega themselves. They gave Yu Suzuki the Shenmue IP to create/kickstart Shenmue 3. If any studio was likely to consider it, Sega might be.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Everything is so American in that pic... half of the people are morbidly obese, the other half is overweight.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Everything is so American in that pic... half of the people are morbidly obese, the other half is overweight.
I don't think you know what morbidly obese means. There are only 3 slightly overweight people on the picture, the other are normal.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Codex Twitter brought him to Larian. Apples and oranges of course considering Japanese business culture and the nature of the deal, but it's better than having his imaginary secretary send Satomi new golf clubs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Trying to enter negotiations by tagging a company in a tweet isn't a feasible plan.

It demonstrates to Sega that there's interest, with all the people who enter/like/retweet that thread.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Trying to enter negotiations by tagging a company in a tweet isn't a feasible plan.

It demonstrates to Sega that there's interest, with all the people who enter/like/retweet that thread.

It surely doesn't look like a serious proposal, and even if it was, I think Chris has enough projects/stuff he's working on already.

And I doubt Sega makes decisions based on retweets.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whatever happened to his supposed studio that he was thinking of creating? Any updates?

torpid

Liturgist
Whatever happened to his supposed studio that he was thinking of creating? Any updates?

He was thinking about creating a studio? When did he announce that? I haven't updated my Avellone.txt much since he left Obsidian and only wanted to work part-time. From where I had left off it's hard to picture him creating and presumably leading a studio when he clearly didn't like being in management at Obsidian. It feels like Avellone is content with selling his brand to developers and writing the occasional character.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

He was thinking about creating a studio? When did he announce that? I haven't updated my Avellone.txt much since he left Obsidian and only wanted to work part-time. From where I had left off it's hard to picture him creating and presumably leading a studio when he clearly didn't like being in management at Obsidian. It feels like Avellone is content with selling his brand to developers and writing the occasional character.
He even asked suggestions for names. I took that part as a joke, but not the actual new studio part as a joke.

Fairfax

Arcane
Nothing yet. I doubt it'll happen before he's done with his current projects.

He even asked suggestions for names. I took that part as a joke, but not the actual new studio part as a joke.
It was serious, he said a while ago that he had pages worth of suggestions and hadn't picked a name yet.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

In this 2016 GDC panel, writers Chris Avellone, Michelle Clough, Toiya Kristen Finley, Heidi McDonald, Richard Rouse III and Evan Skolnick answer questions to help new writers navigate the perilous waters of the video game industry.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"I was a writer for a HIV prevention game"
dude what
Real writers deal with real issues man, didn't you get the memo? Perfect for RPGs since they're all about creating an inclusive fantasy land to show players how to deal with those real issues. Video game writers bear a great moral responsability.

torpid

Liturgist
It was serious, he said a while ago that he had pages worth of suggestions and hadn't picked a name yet.

Will it be Obsidian redux? Co-found the studio with someone else, let the other guy run the day-to-day business, leave when he's been overruled/outvoted one too many times? I can't imagine a studio with Avellone alone at the helm, delivering an unadulterated MCA game. But maybe he's worked something out and found his motivation after participating in all of these Kickstarter campaigns. Make a studio and use his name for his own game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've still not seen evidence that Avellone's "studio" will be anything more than a brand name for him to operate under when working on other company's games.

Eg, "Arkane Studios' Prey, co-written with Avellone Entertainment"

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Real estate developers are already in talks to license his name for an 80-story tall Avellone Tower in Dubai.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom