Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Delterius

Arcane
I agree with Lacrymas, that quest was off. The mental gymnastics in this comment chain is testimony to that.
Don't you think its silly to assume a vengeful bitchgoddess of cuntism would only hand out challenges that people are meant to succeed in? Magran is a whore, who uses, abuses and discards her faithful. A deity of fire and passion. She's about glory. Wether you survive the trial is irrelevant. Its about wether you stand up to it at all.

The vision of the Godhammer Bomb was a reminder of that. Fyrga could have have hired an adventuring party and gone there herself. Or she could gone with you. Dead or alive, they'd have their chance to shine, and probably die, just as the Dozens did.

Defiance Bay is Magran's chosen nation and the city's main priest is losing her faith. Then, according to some PCs, she was meant to prove it. Going by that specific interpretation, the old priestess' shame is that she was no better than any other quest giver.

Besides, she's a Priest. She could have solo'd an albino dragon.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It could be interesting if they take advantage of what Delterius is talking about. The gods overwriting their initial programming and start causing ...unforeseen consequences. From a deity of war and trials, Magran turns into a "vengeful bitchgoddess of cuntism" (love that). Not so much overwriting their programming, but reacting fiercely to the opposition of the other gods, like Magran turning into what she is now in response to Eothas' actions. That will make them a bit more dynamic and relevant. While it's still not clear how much power they actually have over the physical world Obsidian can remedy that.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wasn't Cragholdt quite a bit higher level than WM2? Though I suppose it could work if you intend to scale part 2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It was added in WM1, so I wouldn't think so. In any case, all my guys are 13, so I don't expect that much trouble.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, but it was added as endgame content, separated from the WM quests. I think the area is like level 14 or something. You should be fine at 13 though.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Yeah, but it was added as endgame content, separated from the WM quests. I think the area is like level 14 or something. You should be fine at 13 though.

It probably depends how hard you found WM1.

Prime Junta

Wasn't Cragholdt quite a bit higher level than WM2? Though I suppose it could work if you intend to scale part 2.

It was targeted at level 13-14. It's not that long, it won't ruin WM2 for you. OTOH if you do WM2 and hit it at level 16 it'll be a bit of a snooze.

Delterius

Arcane
The gods overwriting their initial programming and start causing ...unforeseen consequences.
It could be a more interpretative process than that. You keep asking what power the Gods have over mortals. What about the other way around? Do mortals change the Gods?

Magran has two incarnations that we know of. One more closely resembles Ares and the other Athena. Dyrwood and Aedyr. One is unleashed in the frontier of an Empire, the other domesticated by the chosen nation of Woedica. Not to mention when the Gods are given different names entirely, like with Eothas and Gaun.

As such, the existance of the Gods is an illusion. Not because the Gods were made, but because they are constantly re-made. To speak to them is like speaking to an idea. Something which does not make slaves out of hearts and minds, rather persuade people to act in a given way. In so doing they are changed in turn, for the more people accept a creed, the more people are in a position to alter it.

In any case, Fyrga's heaven and hell are of her own making and by her own demand.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I actually had an idea like that when I was musing over how to make the gods more relevant and not so deus-ex-machina-y. I thought about it in another way, though, I thought that maybe when the souls fragment the fragments fuse with the soul construct/s that is/are the god/s the person worshiped and they start changing based on what kind of person the soul was when it was alive. The mass death of like-minded worshipers could change the gods in a small, but significant way. I like your idea as well, though. It, of course, raises the question of what the gods' role in the universe is, as an idea can have devoted followers and opponents without it having a literal physical manifestation, but that question is already on the table.

Efe

Erudite
if that is true we'r gonna see a lot of childlike behavior from whoever we fed hollowborn souls

Prime Junta

if that is true we'r gonna see a lot of childlike behavior from whoever we fed hollowborn souls

I know that was tongue-in-cheek but...

Those weren't baby souls. Those were adult souls waiting to be reborn as babies.

Efe

Erudite
if you look at it like that there are no 'infant' souls.
Wouldnt they have to forget and accept starting anew before entering a body?

Prime Junta

if you look at it like that there are no 'infant' souls.
Wouldnt they have to forget and accept starting anew before entering a body?

Would, but the point was they were snagged before they could do that.

Efe

Erudite
dont quote me on that but i remember souls were going underground before coming back up all amnesiac.
or maybe i just fileld in blanks

Lacrymas

Arcane
They go into "the Wheel", not underground. The Wheel is an imaginary construct/concept, kinda like the Equator, which describes the process of reincarnation. Whether the souls literally go through the underground adra I'm not sure.

Efe

Erudite
i vaguely remember souls were going through adra into the earth and they interfered with that to make that adra giant?
then adra block was cut off and whatsitsname's could no longer feed on souls coming 'up'?

the_shadow

Arcane
Replaying PoE with both expansions, and am fiddling around with talents/spells I never bothered with in the vanilla version. A few thoughts:

- The Hobbling effect is terrible. Even the Druids Entangle Tanglefoot doesn't appear to make any significant difference in the enemies move speed.

- I've heard a lot of good stuff about Antipathetic Field and the amount of damage it does. But I find the thing hard to use. Enemies bum rush my party and move about unpredictably during combat, that targeting the thing isn't practicable.

- I've also heard good stuff about Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon, and the large amount of damage it does. But looking at the spell description, it does that damage over time, which makes it far less valuable. You also need to be almost on top of the enemy to target them with it too.

This game is much harder than I remember when I first played it before the Expansions were released.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hobbled's true strength is in the penalty to reflex, plus the vulnerability to sneak attacks.

Prime Junta

- The Hobbling effect is terrible. Even the Druids Entangle Tanglefoot doesn't appear to make any significant difference in the enemies move speed.

Combine with an attack that hits Reflex. Tanglefoot + Fireball f.ex. is pretty lulzy.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Antipathetic Field and the amount of damage it does. But I find the thing hard to use. Enemies bum rush my party and move about unpredictably during combat, that targeting the thing isn't practicable.

Haven't played much with ciphers, can't help you there.

I've also heard good stuff about Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon, and the large amount of damage it does. But looking at the spell description, it does that damage over time, which makes it far less valuable. You also need to be almost on top of the enemy to target them with it too.

Combine with something that builds on DoT effects. Combusting Wounds or a predatory ranger pet for example.

This game is much harder than I remember when I first played it before the Expansions were released.

Only if you were relying on cheese.

the_shadow

Arcane
I think they've improved the A.I in one of the updates since I last played. Enemies seem to run past my tank and attack my low endurance druid/mage. I'm not complaining, since improving the A.I is the best way to increase the difficulty of a game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Antipathetic Field and the amount of damage it does. But I find the thing hard to use. Enemies bum rush my party and move about unpredictably during combat, that targeting the thing isn't practicable.

The idea is to use it in combination with stealth. You scout ahead with your Cipher, get the exact right angle and unleash the field.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'm not complaining, since improving the A.I is the best way to increase the difficulty of a game.

This is one of the reasons why I'm interested to see what people think of D:OS 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom