Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
OMG- I leave for a week and it all goes to hell.

Why must we hurt each other so?

Felip and Cleve need to shake hands and come to terms because you're both wrong in some ways and right in others. This shit is how the civil war started.

God Dammit! We have a future to think about. Think of the children.

Now make nice.
We need Sherry as a peace negotiator.

Only if it's drunk Sherry.

:)

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where in the IndieGoGo campaign were you assured a Steam key when you donated? If you believed this game was Early Access why did you play for over 100 hours? Something is not quite right there.

I didn't even know you were a backer when I asked my wife to send you a Steam key. Sorry, what happened to the Steam key you got through IndieGoGo? Did you get two and just give one away? That means you defrauded me.

I am also terminating that Steam key shortly you were issued. I don't need your money or your business. You're an idiot, that isn't criticism, that's telling my forum what I said about my own game. I never said any such thing. You're not welcome on that forum and I don't want you playing my game. Only a complete asshole plays a game for over a 100 hours then tells people on the forum that the author said it is totally broken and totally unbalanced. You got banned for being a pushy loudmouthed dickhead creating fake press releases for the game like you knew better what I said than I did. You don't work at Golden Era Games, shitbird. You're just a guy playing it. You misquoted me three times and made up your own narrative for my game. You are the only person so far suggesting this game is Early Access out of 4000+ players.

You should have asked for a refund earlier before your order was locked. People like you I don't need as customers. Be sure to mention you were spamming for a free key that got canceled in your review. As it is I am going to personally assure you are refunded. You are not getting that hardback manual and accompanying perks. You don't deserve nice things.

You had some trust issued to you. Looks like you could not be trusted even a little bit.

By the time your review comes out, Grimoire will have the finishing polish added to it. Keep winning snowflake.

Fuck yourself, Cleve.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
felipepepe

broken combat = implies bugged and unplayable
unbalanced combat = lack of balance

But people already explained that to you, yet you still keep insisting it's broken.
Here's Cleve's opinion on that:

KvMhOl2.jpg

"WITHOUT EXPLOITS SOME OF THE COMBATS ARE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE."

Need to exploit to win = broken.

I've never asked for a tag before but can somebody give FelipePepe a "MUH BALANCE" tag? Because the lack of the capacity for joy needs to be flagged on this forum.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I think it is all in the wording.

Im sure Cleve would not mind a fair critique of the weaker points of the game, some of which he acknowledges himself. Now it could be written by Baxander in his anti-cleve mode.Im missing some constructive elements in the critique.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
It has enemies, like the Dark Fairies or those fucking ninjas, that can kill your entire party before you can even act.
Most bosses can be stunlocked forever with Charm, Paralysis, Flesh to Stone, etc
The ones that are immune to these will die with a single Critical Strike or by using items like the Vorpal Sword.
Enemies attack your character on the upper right more than anyone else.
Spells like Freezing Sphere deal over 1000 in AoE damage, which kills any enemy in the game.
Because XP rewards make no sense, you can't level up your party properly. Viata and I never got anyone to Lv 10 to do the class change.

I don't know about your standards, but if I have to choose carefully my weapons & spells to AVOID killing bosses in the first turn, then I'd say the combat is damn fucking broken.

Not to mention more nuanced things, like how the game is filled with enemies that will kill you in one blow, but resurrecting characters reduce their CON, meaning that some characters in my party grew weaker instead of stronger in the mid/end-game.

No offence muh nigro but just about all of this, except for the XP rewards, is 100% true of wiz 6 and 7, just like Latro said.

Ninjas with instakills - check. The wiz6 final dungeon is full of them for example.
Bosses that can be stunlocked forever - check. Why not? If this is not a possibility, you end up with an abomination like MMX that has bosses immune to everything because fuck you lol that's why.
Instakill critical strike or items - check.
Enemies attack front row more - check. Actually, upper right dude being the main target seems to be 100% my current experience in wiz7.
Absurd 1000 damage spells - check. Lifesteal says hi.
Rezzing characters reduces vitality - check.

These are very silly things to complain about in something that's supposed to be a wizardry clone.

WHICH WAS UPPERMOST IN MY MIND 100% OF THE TIME PLAYING GRIMOIRE TO TRY TO MAKE MY SYSTEM MATCH, WHILE EDITING EVERYTHING AND ADJUSTING EVERYTHING. NEARLY ALWAYS HEAVILY INFLUENCED BY WIZ 7 MECHANICS, PLAYING THE GAME, NOTICING THESE THINGS AND MAKING SURE GRIMOIRE HAS SOMETHING SIMILAR LIKE MY OWN INSTA-KILL NINJAS.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Also note that only two people here actually finished the damn game - and both me and Viata agreed it should've been an Early Access title.

Have you ever played an Early Access game for close to a 100 hours and finished it?

Makes far too much sense. If you played for twenty hours and then gave up and said you thought it was broken and unbalanced, that's one thing. Playing for 100 hours and claiming I SAID it was totally broken and unbalanced AFTER YOU FINISHED THE GAME, naw homey ya trippin'

Efe

Erudite
he was (is still) going to review your game. he was doing you a service by playing it to completion rather than judging it by its initial few levels.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also note that only two people here actually finished the damn game - and both me and Viata agreed it should've been an Early Access title.
Have you ever played an Early Access game for close to a 100 hours and finished it?
Makes far too much sense. If you played for twenty hours and then gave up and said you thought it was broken and unbalanced, that's one thing. Playing for 100 hours and claiming I SAID it was totally broken and unbalanced AFTER YOU FINISHED THE GAME, naw homey ya trippin'
First, I played it for 80hs - far less than the 600 you sold.

Second, I'm reviewing it for the Codex. Gotta finish games to review them. Guess if I stopped early your excuse would be "HE DIDN'T EVEN FINISH IT!"

mwnn85

Savant
My biggest problem with Pepe's post is he's basically hammering Cleve for the exact same thing Cleve himself admitted and promised to fix asap.
There's something on Steam called EARLY ACCESS that serves for this exact purpose.

Cleve chose to ignore it and release the game as "done" and charge top dollar for it. So I'm judging what he release, not what he says behind the forums he'll release.
I think it's fairly clear that Cleve considers the term Early Access to be some sort of dirty slur against the game.
Either that or he doesn't like the irony.
It's a unique selling point: "Grimoire - the world's first 20+ year long early access title."

It works for Factorio - near the top of the global sellers list for how long now...?

> No manual or documentation. And not much point in writing most of it until the mechanics are finalised. Don't need it personally.
> Obvious mouse cursor bugs. Literally the first thing you notice when you start the game. Great first impression!
> Sound FX / Music sliders don't work as expected (try setting Sound FX to 0% and Music to 100%). As above.
> MIDI tracks for sound but no hardware MIDI support i.e. completely pointless.
> Initial release couldn't be finished!
> Crashes, trashed saves, bugs, broken quests, missing items, npcs, several alterations to the encounter rate, etc. Ongoing.
> Crafting GUI present but nothing functional.
> Certain game areas are sparse / pending content.
> Classes, encounters, multi-classing, XP gain, gold prices, etc - all need balancing/adjustments.
> Wizardry 7 style roaming npcs not added yet.
> Even more stuff +++

The testers must've been blind to not spot some of those or non-existent.

Cleve claims that Grimoire V2 - should we ever see it before we all die of old age - won't resemble the initial launch. Is that not the definition of early access?
Grimoire the MMORPG - it never ends.
:australia:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
he was (is still) going to review your game. he was doing you a service by playing it to completion rather than judging it by its initial few levels.

IF FelipePepe fell off the planet or was sucked into a black hole tonight, I would never miss him. He's not doing me any service unless he does anything but go away forever.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
First, I played it for 80hs - far less than the 600 you sold.

Second, I'm reviewing it for the Codex. Gotta finish games to review them. Guess if I stopped early your excuse would be "HE DIDN'T EVEN FINISH IT!"

Naw homey yaw a special snowflake trippin' hard

bataille

Arcane
The most joy I've had in Grimoire was when the Samhian Horror left a few of my party members alive after the initial 'Turn 0' onslaught and I had the time to read a scroll of 'Hold Monsters' to paralyze it indefinitely and then slowly kill it without any resistance while I was resurrecting my party members.
No, wait, I got it wrong. It was the worst part.
The best part was a great set of levels, the amount of passion that was put into designing the world, all the trails of personality that usually perpetuate author projects and the feel that *this game has reasons to exist*.

And this is exactly why it pains me so much to read all those dismissive posts about the design philosophy of combat being fine. As I see it, right now there are two sides to Grimoire that are at odds with each other: the actual worthy part of the game: the first person adventure; and the messy part that is combat.
It just saddens me that such a magical thing as the former might never escape from under that pile of rubble.
There is a lot of possible solutions to that, of course; I'll just sit here and watch how it's going to untangle itself with time.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
It looks like Cleve simply packed up Stones of Arnhem code, much of what he didn't wrote. Cleve was probably a mediocre tools programmer there, no wonder the project was scrapped as a result of failings from impotent idiots like him. Game projects are always doomed when incompetents swarm a studio by "Oh, save him!"-hiring methods.

Look at him failing even to code a basic file open - the save / open routine that had a "overwrite" warning message pasted into it and couldn't even complete a basic file save operation??? Did people read that on Steam that an other developer recognized the LAMER ERROR and pointed it out to Cleve on Steam - who by then was foaming at the mouth about pirates infecting his game with their evil save games??? So Cleve finally was able to fix that blatant mistake, which proved he cannot code?

Also do you remember the EXE versioning was left on DEMO. Any sane real programmer always takes care about the versioning first..

That Cleve doesn't understand steam_api.dll and is unable to use it, all can see he couldn't include it in "his" game.

All this seems to prove that probably Cleve is only hacking away at a code that he doesn't understand or he is just trying to edit the exe somehow and has some level editing tools that other programmers wrote 20 years ago and is inept at even that?

How about the ridiculous fact of a missing manual and Cleve wondering on Steam about the monster attack frequency saying "Even I was surprised..." It appears the game code is far away from Cleve, he never wrote it just stole it and cannot understand most parts...

Inept hacking at a code to further mess things up with his "updates and patches".

Unfinished areas after 20 years???!

Banning people left and right, so nay sayers doesn't hurt Cleve's Scam on Steam.

I hope Cleve will be banned from Steam for good and by court rule he will be ordered to refund all Steam income. So people will get back their money from this imbecile.

Still hurling that libel on this forum. Going to find out who you are one of these days and you're going to have to back up your random bulls*t. Do I know you? What do you know anything about Stones of Arnhem, stolen code, blah blah blah weren't you the asshole claiming Grimoire would never be released, didn't exist, stolen assets, stolen this or that. Do you know what I know about people who anonymously call strangers thieves? They're always thieves. Always.

Did I ever tell you about this colossal fat guy neckbeard who sat on a stool at Wendy's all day and was an expert on everything until some homeys poured an entire bucket of chili down his ass crack from behind and it totally vanished into his pants like a gigantic blue diaper?

THAT GUY WAS A MEGA-WINNER COMPARED TO YOU

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In grimoire the combat is so broken later that you HAVE to exploit or die

If there is a game mechanic you have to use not to die, then it's not an exploit.

Please explain. which mechanic are you referring to?

What? You said yourself you need to "exploit or die". The exploit you use is the mechanic, eg. powerful spells.

I am not talking about powerful spells though. I am talking about stuff like using instruments from your inventory or stacking up defensive spells that are not supposed to stack. ( at least I am pretty sure it is not intended )

Instruments or spells, what's the difference? It's still a game mechanic. And yeah, you don't know whether spells should or should not stack either. Right now it's a game mechanic you can use, so what is the problem really? That you think you're not supposed to use certain things even though those are the things you need to do not to die? You're not making any sense.

Cleve replied to you telling you it's "a fun exploit" , so he agrees it's an exploit so is he going to fix it? it does not feel right to have to exploit the game in order to survive, there needs to be a non-exploited method to defeat enemies.

I'll try to explain again my point about instruments - There is an exploitable BUG in the game that lets you use instruments that you do not equip , all characters can do this even a warrior with 3 intellect and cast spells using these BEFORE any character can cast a spell.
If you try to stunlock a boss with spells your party will most likely die before your character can even start his combat turn even if he has speed 120 because spells are coded to always be last in the turn order ( this is the worst offender here IMO).
BUT when you USE instruments from the inventory bar they happen first before casters can do their shit and thus you can stunlock or nuke or whatever and exploit your victory. I am pretty sure this how people beat the hardest bosses so fast. This bug needs to be fixed but also give an alternative, Like casting spells before you are dead because speed is not working for casters.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Now this is what a Grimoire thread is all about...THE DRAMA.

Shouldn't have retardoed the original.

Cleve's current meltdown is excellent.

Zep--

bataille

Arcane
In my opinion, you should cherish Felipe, not shun him.
I, for one, had to put the game on hold for the time being so as not to spoil my enjoyment with experiencing some of the harsher parts.
He, on the other hand, will never have the first time experience again, he went with it to the end, for which I salute him.

If anything, you should invite him to sit in a chair, have Sherry pour him a cup of tea and interrogate him about all his thoughts, remarks and criticisms concerning the game.
And Viata, too.
And in general, have a calm thread with all the stuff and ideas that might benefit Grimoire as a game. And go from there with tweaks, adjustments, cutting and adding, reworking, etc.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
It has enemies, like the Dark Fairies or those fucking ninjas, that can kill your entire party before you can even act.
Most bosses can be stunlocked forever with Charm, Paralysis, Flesh to Stone, etc
The ones that are immune to these will die with a single Critical Strike or by using items like the Vorpal Sword.
Enemies attack your character on the upper right more than anyone else.
Spells like Freezing Sphere deal over 1000 in AoE damage, which kills any enemy in the game.
Because XP rewards make no sense, you can't level up your party properly. Viata and I never got anyone to Lv 10 to do the class change.

I don't know about your standards, but if I have to choose carefully my weapons & spells to AVOID killing bosses in the first turn, then I'd say the combat is damn fucking broken.

Not to mention more nuanced things, like how the game is filled with enemies that will kill you in one blow, but resurrecting characters reduce their CON, meaning that some characters in my party grew weaker instead of stronger in the mid/end-game.

No offence muh nigro but just about all of this, except for the XP rewards, is 100% true of wiz 6 and 7, just like Latro said.

Ninjas with instakills - check. The wiz6 final dungeon is full of them for example.
Bosses that can be stunlocked forever - check. Why not? If this is not a possibility, you end up with an abomination like MMX that has bosses immune to everything because fuck you lol that's why.
Instakill critical strike or items - check.
Enemies attack front row more - check. Actually, upper right dude being the main target seems to be 100% my current experience in wiz7.
Absurd 1000 damage spells - check. Lifesteal says hi.
Rezzing characters reduces vitality - check.

These are very silly things to complain about in something that's supposed to be a wizardry clone.

It is a matter of degree.

How many hours are you in, that these things are not visible to you? Right now the combat feels like it lacks that "finesse" that makes you feel the character development matters at all. It's either you use one of these 3 things that will win, or even random encounters will toast you. It feels arbitrary. Because of this, character development feels irrelevant right now. In Wiz7 you were always excited over class changing and powerbuilding, here according to the two people who completed it, you finish at level 10 so it's pointless to make such plans. Also I've read class change is not working properly, something related to skills not working.

I think Felipepe's review is fair. Maybe he could have held it until Cleve released more updates... But that's precisely his point, the game is at a stage where said updates are needed. The fact the game is already very fun because of the incredible world and exploration furthers the point: Grimoire already has what most other games lack, a soul. Playing it at half potential is not a good choice right now, personally I decided the same, wait for V2 to not spoil the experience, and possibly restart after reading the manual.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
In grimoire the combat is so broken later that you HAVE to exploit or die

If there is a game mechanic you have to use not to die, then it's not an exploit.

Please explain. which mechanic are you referring to?

What? You said yourself you need to "exploit or die". The exploit you use is the mechanic, eg. powerful spells.

I am not talking about powerful spells though. I am talking about stuff like using instruments from your inventory or stacking up defensive spells that are not supposed to stack. ( at least I am pretty sure it is not intended )

Instruments or spells, what's the difference? It's still a game mechanic. And yeah, you don't know whether spells should or should not stack either. Right now it's a game mechanic you can use, so what is the problem really? That you think you're not supposed to use certain things even though those are the things you need to do not to die? You're not making any sense.

Cleve replied to you telling you it's "a fun exploit" , so he agrees it's an exploit so is he going to fix it? it does not feel right to have to exploit the game in order to survive, there needs to be a non-exploited method to defeat enemies.

I'll try to explain again my point about instruments - There is an exploitable BUG in the game that lets you use instruments that you do not equip , all characters can do this even a warrior with 3 intellect and cast spells using these BEFORE any character can cast a spell.
If you try to stunlock a boss with spells your party will most likely die before your character can even start his combat turn even if he has speed 120 because spells are coded to always be last in the turn order ( this is the worst offender here IMO).
BUT when you USE instruments from the inventory bar they happen first before casters can do their shit and thus you can stunlock or nuke or whatever and exploit your victory. I am pretty sure this how people beat the hardest bosses so fast. This bug needs to be fixed but also give an alternative, Like casting spells before you are dead because speed is not working for casters.

You know, you're basically saying that some monsters are overpowered AND some exploits are overpowered, so you need to use these to defeat the former. As long as it works that way, it's actually balanced. Cleve says it's a deliberate design choice to leave the exploits in for now, until he balances it more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom