Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Mightmagic

Augur
Man, what a few pages to catch up on :lol:

In other news:
i8riqy0.png

Maybe cleve waited each update of Game Maker to advance the development of Grimoire. Thar's explain why 20 years was necessary and if each update of game maker cost 0.99 cent, that's explain the final huge price.:lol:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No, this game should not have been in early access. It is feature complete.

Crafting elements that don't exist should have been removed.

Food meter and any mentions to food should have been removed.

Cleve should have had ~5 trusted people play through the game and tell him the parts that are broken (quests, items that don't work). Then those should have been fixed. After that release the game WITH manual and fukken' in-game tooltips for stats and skills.

After that it is COMPLETELY ON PAR with any 90's cRPG release. Naturally all of those games are "broken" as well...

But of course it is not sane to expect sensible from the categorically insensible.

Huge turn-off for people curious about a neanderthal and his magnum opus, don't you think?
Do you realize that if Cleve had actually, you know, balanced these things - or released it as Early Access - then this whole discussion would be unnecessary?

felipepepe, some of that stuff you're complaining about was present in sacred cows such as Wiz 7, which was a big-budget game for its time with a significant debugging effort behind it. Some stuff could use more polish sure, and I'm sure Cleve is aware of it, but I for one think it's refreshing that a developer doesn't really put balance at the top of his priority list. It's a whimsical game made by one guy - seems you were expecting something that was designed by committee and that went through 5 proper balance patches.
What an absurd false equivalency... so we can only get AAA design-by-committee games or totally unbalanced games?

What about Knights of the Chalice? AoD? Underrail? Undertale? Tales of Maj'Eyal? Salt & Sactuary? Dwarf Run? Telepath Tactics? Stardew Valley? FFS, there's Avadon or the Jeff Vogel games... all these were released fully working and balanced - and in less than 20 years. Why the hell should Cleve get a free pass?

Not to mention that Grimore is the most expensive of them all.

Your selective reply is cute - the important aspect of my post wasn't the little jab, it was the fact that pretty much everything you listed in your post was present in sacred RPG cows such as Wiz 7, as amply demonstrated by multiple people in this thread. I'm also of the sentiment that 'broken' is a word that gets thrown out too often these days when referring to things that are not to someone's taste.

treborSux

Arcane
If you recall the rechargeable eternal nuclear grenade, it is still unknown where the battle is balanced worse - in the grimoire or in wiz7.
Thermal pineapple was the shit

Also as far as the word broken goes, don't be a faggot and follow trends of redefining words on the internet. Words are supposed to be meaningful. Broken means something doesn't work. I fell into the same trap years ago of not understanding why people called things in games that were perfectly functional broken.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Cleve should have had ~5 trusted people play through the game and tell him the parts that are broken (quests, items that don't work). Then those should have been fixed. After that release the game WITH manual and fukken' in-game tooltips for stats and skills.

The whining would have reached epic proportions if he delayed the release even more. Now at least he gets good feedback and fixes things quickly.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A surreal thing is happening. After the release of the game the Codex was jizzing all over Grimoire, labeling it the best game in decades. But the Steam rating dropped with each hour, to somewhere around 64%. A few weeks later the Steam rating is picking up, now it is at 71%, but the Codex started to pick this game apart, noticing all the bullshit in it. It's like the Codex is a mirror opposite of the real world.

mondblut

Arcane
Speaking of magic regeneration, just noticed my aeorb now takes less than a second to regenerate 100+ mp while sleeping. Is it the patch, or did I equip something nice while shuffling loot?

Have you equipped Golden Armor? I equipped that particular item and my Templar's HP / MP regenerate incredibly fast while sleeping and during combat.

Nope. I did equip the boots from the perk chests though.

Tarrant

Educated
A surreal thing is happening. After the release of the game the Codex was jizzing all over Grimoire, labeling it the best game in decades. But the Steam rating dropped with each hour, to somewhere around 64%. A few weeks later the Steam rating is picking up, now it is at 71%, but the Codex started to pick this game apart, noticing all the bullshit in it. It's like the Codex is a mirror opposite of the real world.

I'd like to gently encourage you to smoke less weed.

mwnn85

Savant
This is clearly another masterful 'thal publicity stunt by everyone's favourite superman. Calling out Felipe for complicity.

:d1p:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No offence muh nigro but just about all of this, except for the XP rewards, is 100% true of wiz 6 and 7, just like Latro said.

Ninjas with instakills - check. The wiz6 final dungeon is full of them for example.
Bosses that can be stunlocked forever - check. Why not? If this is not a possibility, you end up with an abomination like MMX that has bosses immune to everything because fuck you lol that's why.
Instakill critical strike or items - check.
Enemies attack front row more - check. Actually, upper right dude being the main target seems to be 100% my current experience in wiz7.
Absurd 1000 damage spells - check. Lifesteal says hi.
Rezzing characters reduces vitality - check.

That is not as 100% as you wrote.

There are no mobs that can "kill you before you can move" (implying on turn 1) in any Wizardry, not in any level-appropriate area.
Bosses can indeed be stunlocked forever, in fact that is the only way to kill the likes of Blienmies or the Beast, but it's decidedly not easy to do, that's the key part here.
Most bosses are immune to KIA so no, they can't be killed in a lucky crit.
Lifesteal is a single target spell bro and it in no way can kill "any monster in the game".
Rezzing chars does decrease Vitality (in W6 and W7, not W8), thing is the penalty is relatively manageable, not sure about Grimoire.

My biggest problem with Pepe's post is he's basically hammering Cleve for the exact same thing Cleve himself admitted and promised to fix asap. Would've pissed me too. But the last thing I'd do is to ban somebody for this, yeah.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I think the difference is that the codex tends to criticise things like game mechanics (and suggests improvements), whereas most steam reviews were complaining about things like graphics.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
My biggest problem with Pepe's post is he's basically hammering Cleve for the exact same thing Cleve himself admitted and promised to fix asap.
There's something on Steam called EARLY ACCESS that serves for this exact purpose.

Cleve chose to ignore it and release the game as "done" and charge top dollar for it. So I'm judging what he release, not what he says behind the forums he'll release one day.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Huge turn-off for people curious about a neanderthal and his magnum opus, don't you think?
Do you realize that if Cleve had actually, you know, balanced these things - or released it as Early Access - then this whole discussion would be unnecessary?

felipepepe, some of that stuff you're complaining about was present in sacred cows such as Wiz 7, which was a big-budget game for its time with a significant debugging effort behind it. Some stuff could use more polish sure, and I'm sure Cleve is aware of it, but I for one think it's refreshing that a developer doesn't really put balance at the top of his priority list. It's a whimsical game made by one guy - seems you were expecting something that was designed by committee and that went through 5 proper balance patches.
What an absurd false equivalency... so we can only get AAA design-by-committee games or totally unbalanced games?

What about Knights of the Chalice? AoD? Underrail? Undertale? Tales of Maj'Eyal? Salt & Sactuary? Dwarf Run? Telepath Tactics? Stardew Valley? FFS, there's Avadon or the Jeff Vogel games... all these were released fully working and balanced - and in less than 20 years. Why the hell should Cleve get a free pass?

Not to mention that Grimore is the most expensive of them all.

Exactly. Current Girmoire supporters - the people who paid a high sum for this trainwreck - will experience a hard hit on their face from smashing into the pavement, when they will be forced to realize the truth of why "Grimoire" - rather Stones of Arnhem could not be finished.

It looks like Cleve simply packed up Stones of Arnhem code, much of what he didn't wrote. Cleve was probably a mediocre tools programmer there, no wonder the project was scrapped as a result of failings from impotent idiots like him. Game projects are always doomed when incompetents swarm a studio by "Oh, save him!"-hiring methods.

Look at him failing even to code a basic file open - the save / open routine that had a "overwrite" warning message pasted into it and couldn't even complete a basic file save operation??? Did people read that on Steam that an other developer recognized the LAMER ERROR and pointed it out to Cleve on Steam - who by then was foaming at the mouth about pirates infecting his game with their evil save games??? So Cleve finally was able to fix that blatant mistake, which proved he cannot code?

Also do you remember the EXE versioning was left on DEMO. Any sane real programmer always takes care about the versioning first..

That Cleve doesn't understand steam_api.dll and is unable to use it, all can see he couldn't include it in "his" game.

All this seems to prove that probably Cleve is only hacking away at a code that he doesn't understand or he is just trying to edit the exe somehow and has some level editing tools that other programmers wrote 20 years ago and is inept at even that?

How about the ridiculous fact of a missing manual and Cleve wondering on Steam about the monster attack frequency saying "Even I was surprised..." It appears the game code is far away from Cleve, he never wrote it just stole it and cannot understand most parts...

Inept hacking at a code to further mess things up with his "updates and patches".

Unfinished areas after 20 years???!

Banning people left and right, so nay sayers doesn't hurt Cleve's Scam on Steam.

I hope Cleve will be banned from Steam for good and by court rule he will be ordered to refund all Steam income. So people will get back their money from this imbecile.

Last edited:
Weasel
Just when it seemed the Grimoire drama was dying off :lol:
So if Felipe is switching from the neutral-positive to Roxor review, who's up for doing the Decado one? (I humbly volunteer for the Roguey Retrospective in a couple of years)

treborSux

Arcane
No offence muh nigro but just about all of this, except for the XP rewards, is 100% true of wiz 6 and 7, just like Latro said.

Ninjas with instakills - check. The wiz6 final dungeon is full of them for example.
Bosses that can be stunlocked forever - check. Why not? If this is not a possibility, you end up with an abomination like MMX that has bosses immune to everything because fuck you lol that's why.
Instakill critical strike or items - check.
Enemies attack front row more - check. Actually, upper right dude being the main target seems to be 100% my current experience in wiz7.
Absurd 1000 damage spells - check. Lifesteal says hi.
Rezzing characters reduces vitality - check.

That is not as 100% as you wrote.

There are no mobs that can "kill you before you can move" (implying on turn 1) in any Wizardry, not in any level-appropriate area.
I don't think that's true. Getting surprised by a pack of killers like Greater Demons in Wizardry 1 could take you out. My memory is hazy for the lot of it though.

bataille

Arcane
What a great day to take sides, pull out flyswatters and beat each other up over...reasons.

Let's hope nobody's got Lethal Blow skill, or it can get messy quick!

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Blow it out your ass, you obese pederast. I didn't pirate your game, and I certainly don't give a damn about not being able to post in your forum. Get bent.

If you can lift a car, that's not obesity, little man. That's also not fat you're looking at. Trying to get it back this week at the gym, amazing how weeks of sedentary parked solid in front of a computer and am still doing 140 pound bent-arm pullovers. Surreal. Muscles swelled so much from a single workout I looked like the Michelin tire man, could barely move, was hyper inflating inside my own body like one of those Sumo suits. Just fell over and laid there as quads and biceps bloated to 10x size at rest. Basically did ten minutes of weightlifting and metamorphosed into Hulk on the spot. Casuals at the gym were crying and curled up into fetal position in horror beneath tables completely traumatised at seeing me 4x height and weight when I entered. Where does the mass come from, man? Where does the mass come from? How I can enter the gym weighing 280 and leave apparently weighing 560?

If you didn't care then why did you come skipping over to RPGCodex with your mascara tears pouring down crying dindonuffin?

Listen, is that 700 pound man sitting on a bucket playing computer games in your avatar? Who is that? Please don't tell me that lard hillock is you. Just looking at your avatar the smell hit me and that's physically impossible.

I will personally purchase 50 copies of Grimoire and donate them to 50 random people who want a key if you will post a video of you lifting in the gym. A legit video, no cheating. Would love to see your technique.

Will you be willing to put the amount of 50 copies (2000 USD) into an escrow with DU or a codex mod?

There was a guy here jcd. He made bet after bet 100 to 1 with people that Grimoire would never see the light of day. He cleaned up after 12/31/2016 because Grimore was not out yet. Emboldened he made a whole new round of 100 to 1 bets Grimoire would not appear anywhere in any form.

Shockingly when Grimore went up on Steam Greenlight he disappeared from the site instead of paying up and started with the tired old "stolen code" tirade again. He is a bet welching piece of shit and now resides in a Warsaw ghetto with a needle in his arm and a dick up his ass.

You have already earned more Goodwill than you probably deserve by doing an about face on Grimore. Don't throw it away with a bet if you don't have the intention to honor it because as we saw with the release of Grimore, never say never.

If you are serious though, work out a date Cleve needs to post the video by and get with a mod to hold the amount until then.

I blocked Baxander so I didn't see this until I looked closely at DashDMV reply.

Baxander, there is only one reason you want need this video and that's to jack off until your nose bleeds watching it with a jar of vaseline. Nevertheless, your bet is on.

Now you have to understand after three months glued to my chair Baxander and only a week back, even a superhuman monster Neanderthal takes some time to get back in shape at 54 years old. So I am going to need at least 4 weeks of intense training to try to gain back what I had as recently as 9 months ago. Only two workouts this week and results were promising, with clear weakness relative to my previous marks I was hitting last year around this time. Some of the sets were definitely still in the "holy mother of god is that guy really lifting that weight by himself" range. Like 550 pound seated rows x8 reps and 270 pound seated press for x9 reps. 210 pound bent arm pullovers with x11 reps and that's only because the candy ass metrosexuals who run my gym won't front for the real Haney sh*t I am capable of training with ... due to it's being "too dangerous to stock dumbbells that big in our gym ... and besides, only a Neanderthal would need dumbbells that big to train with and they have been extinct for 40,000 years."

If you put the copies in escrow to be held by a third party I will promise to release this video shortly before I go on Matt Barton's show at which time you will have to make good on your bulls*t which I seriously don't see happening ever in this lifetime and you will end up in a Eurotrash ghetto with JCD hiding out the rest of your life as a professional manwhore working the potato farmer circuit.

You have to agree to put your reaction video up so I can see the M. Night Shymalayan moment on your face with the sound of loud explosive diarrhea as it hits you OMIGOD ITS ALL TRUE A LIVING FOSSIL EVERYTHING HE WAS TELLING THE TRUTH THIS ENTIRE TIME I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS SH*T IS ACTUALLY REAL THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE ITZ MUST BE CGI OR TRICK PHOTOGRAPHY ... alright? And you can't be naked in this one as you will be every time you view the video in private after that.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
OMG- I leave for a week and it all goes to hell.

Why must we hurt each other so?

Felip and Cleve need to shake hands and come to terms because you're both wrong in some ways and right in others. This shit is how the civil war started.

God Dammit! We have a future to think about. Think of the children.

Now make nice.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Wiz6 final dungeon, you run into a mob of priests of Ramm who start spamming death wish and lifesteal. You are dead.
You run into 5 chunins who start instakilling your dudes with kirijutsu because they move first with their turbo speed. You are dead.
Isle of the dead, you run into some banshees who start spamming death and lifesteal. You are dead.
Wiz7, you run into a mob of T'rang assassins who paralyze, kill and veggify all your dudes before they can act. You are dead.

Lifesteal is a single target spell bro and it in no way can kill "any monster in the game".

Lifesteal's damage scales exponentially and differently from other spells, to the point that it can indeed kill any monster in the game and hit something for 1k damage.

I missed the 'aoe' part tho on dat freezing sphere, I thought he only meant the 1000 damage that was dumb :M

:Flash:

Arcane
OMG- I leave for a week and it all goes to hell.

Why must we hurt each other so?

Felip and Cleve need to shake hands and come to terms because you're both wrong in some ways and right in others. This shit is how the civil war started.

God Dammit! We have a future to think about. Think of the children.

Now make nice.
We need Sherry as a peace negotiator.

bataille

Arcane

Wiz6 final dungeon, you run into a mob of priests of Ramm who start spamming death wish and lifesteal. You are dead.
You run into 5 chunins who start instakilling your dudes with kirijutsu because they move first with their turbo speed. You are dead.
Isle of the dead, you run into some banshees who start spamming death and lifesteal. You are dead.
Wiz7, you run into a mob of T'rang assassins who paralyze, kill and veggify all your dudes before they can act. You are dead.

Lifesteal's damage scales exponentially and differently from other spells, to the point that it can indeed kill any monster in the game and hit something for 1k damage.

I missed the 'aoe' part tho on dat freezing sphere, I thought he only meant the 1000 damage that was dumb :M

Dang, these encounters sound very cool. Something is missing, though.
What is this...
Oh yes!
Dragonflies from a nondescript wilderness that kill with one sting.
Not the encounter table is perfect!

Prime Junta

Oh for fuck's sake Cleve

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom