Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
In grimoire the combat is so broken later that you HAVE to exploit or die

If there is a game mechanic you have to use not to die, then it's not an exploit.

Weasel
Man, what a few pages to catch up on :lol:

In other news:
i8riqy0.png

Tarrant

Educated
felipepepe

broken combat = implies bugged and unplayable
unbalanced combat = lack of balance

But people already explained that to you, yet you still keep insisting it's broken.

No, people already explained to *you* how nonsensical your shitty semantic argument is. For the love of god, take Cleve's cock out of your mouth before you choke to death. You've already apparently gone blind.

"It's funny how suddenly only the dictionary definition of 'broken' applies when it comes to criticism of Grimoire, despite the fact that the colloquial definition among gamers has *long* been understood to be precisely what you claim it isn't: grossly imbalanced or otherwise not performing as intended, whether too powerful, too weak, too wonky, etc.

If mere semantics are the foundation of your argument, why even bother? Why waste everyone's time, including your own?"

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
And the second thing that would annoy me is this "wait for v2" bullshit. You can't fucking gorge yourself on the game for close to 100 hours in a short time segment, come out the other end with blisters on your fingers and say "everyone else should wait".

Pretty sure that's the definition of a review/fair criticism. Felipepe put time into the game, completed it, and offers criticism. By your logic the only fair criticism would be coming from people who never played the game or didn't complete the game.

If I was a developer I'd get super pissed. " Fuck you, fuck your sister, fuck the horse that spawned the horse that you rode in on. Yeah, it's not perfect, the game has some issues, it's not an A+ it's a B- go fuck yourself ! "

That's what I'd be thinking.

Then you're a fucking baby, like Cleve. You can't put something out for the public, expect them to pay for it, then expect them not to criticize it if they have problems with the product.

ukdouble1

Educated
If you recall the rechargeable eternal nuclear grenade, it is still unknown where the battle is balanced worse - in the grimoire or in wiz7.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

If there is a game mechanic you have to use not to die, then it's not an exploit.

Please explain. which mechanic are you referring to?

What? You said yourself you need to "exploit or die". The exploit you use is the mechanic, eg. powerful spells.

I am not talking about powerful spells though. I am talking about stuff like using instruments from your inventory or stacking up defensive spells that are not supposed to stack. ( at least I am pretty sure it is not intended )

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
It's funny how suddenly only the dictionary definition of 'broken' applies when it comes to criticism of Grimoire,
no, it applies in the definition of a game review. if pepe is saying this on the very front page of Grimoire, and telling people to NOT BUY THE GAME (telling a potential customer to not buy the game, even until V2, is still telling them to NOT BUY THE GAME) in the forums, why wouldn't Cleve slam his ass over it? Twisting Cleve's own words is another thing.

Tarrant

Educated
It's funny how suddenly only the dictionary definition of 'broken' applies when it comes to criticism of Grimoire,
no, it applies in the definition of a game review. if pepe is saying this on the very front page of Grimoire, and telling people to NOT BUY THE GAME (telling a potential customer to not buy the game, even until V2, is still telling them to NOT BUY THE GAME) in the forums, why wouldn't Cleve slam his ass over it? Twisting Cleve's own words is another thing.

I don't recall felipepepe ever twisting Cleve's words -- that's a claim Cleve made post facto, after conveniently deleting the thread.

And are you really asking me why Cleve *wouldn't* ban somebody for posting an honest, fairly even-handed but ultimately negative review after ~100 hours of gameplay? C'mon, guy.

It all comes down to the small clique here who insists the game "only needs a little bit of polish" when the balancing and gameplay issues are very obviously more severe than that. But for reasons I don't fully understand, fellating Cleve is more important to some people than being honest about the game.

Covenant

Savant
For my part, if I were reading discussion about an old game - say an Infinity Engine one I'd never played back in the day - and people are talking about how broken the Ghandi's Gummy Missile spell is, my first thought isn't going to be that the thing doesn't work, it's going to be that it's some severely overpowered shit.

That said, all this arguing over the semantics of the words we're using to bemoan our favourite RPGs seems one step away from putting our berets on and wankily asking each other 'But what IS an RPG?'.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Please explain. which mechanic are you referring to?

What? You said yourself you need to "exploit or die". The exploit you use is the mechanic, eg. powerful spells.

I am not talking about powerful spells though. I am talking about stuff like using instruments from your inventory or stacking up defensive spells that are not supposed to stack. ( at least I am pretty sure it is not intended )

Instruments or spells, what's the difference? It's still a game mechanic. And yeah, you don't know whether spells should or should not stack either. Right now it's a game mechanic you can use, so what is the problem really? That you think you're not supposed to use certain things even though those are the things you need to do not to die? You're not making any sense.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It has enemies, like the Dark Fairies or those fucking ninjas, that can kill your entire party before you can even act.
Most bosses can be stunlocked forever with Charm, Paralysis, Flesh to Stone, etc
The ones that are immune to these will die with a single Critical Strike or by using items like the Vorpal Sword.
Enemies attack your character on the upper right more than anyone else.
Spells like Freezing Sphere deal over 1000 in AoE damage, which kills any enemy in the game.
Because XP rewards make no sense, you can't level up your party properly. Viata and I never got anyone to Lv 10 to do the class change.

I don't know about your standards, but if I have to choose carefully my weapons & spells to AVOID killing bosses in the first turn, then I'd say the combat is damn fucking broken.

Not to mention more nuanced things, like how the game is filled with enemies that will kill you in one blow, but resurrecting characters reduce their CON, meaning that some characters in my party grew weaker instead of stronger in the mid/end-game.

No offence muh nigro but just about all of this, except for the XP rewards, is 100% true of wiz 6 and 7, just like Latro said.

Ninjas with instakills - check. The wiz6 final dungeon is full of them for example.
Bosses that can be stunlocked forever - check. Why not? If this is not a possibility, you end up with an abomination like MMX that has bosses immune to everything because fuck you lol that's why.
Instakill critical strike or items - check.
Enemies attack front row more - check. Actually, upper right dude being the main target seems to be 100% my current experience in wiz7.
Absurd 1000 damage spells - check. Lifesteal says hi.
Rezzing characters reduces vitality - check.

These are very silly things to complain about in something that's supposed to be a wizardry clone.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Also note that only two people here actually finished the damn game - and both me and Viata agreed it should've been an Early Access title.

Have you ever played an Early Access game for close to a 100 hours and finished it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom