Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
He banned me for saying that the game is unbalanced:

0fCixxb.jpg

Cleveland Mark Blakemore :

yBZAmDb.jpg

Free key my fucking ass. Give me back the money if that's "free" for you.

Also, grow the fuck up and learn to take criticism - you'll need it because I'm writing the RPG Codex review. And I'm going to mention what you just did and how Grimoire is a broken game that should be sold in Early Access. And you won't be able to ban me here.

Where in the IndieGoGo campaign were you assured a Steam key when you donated? If you believed this game was Early Access why did you play for over 100 hours? Something is not quite right there.

I didn't even know you were a backer when I asked my wife to send you a Steam key. Sorry, what happened to the Steam key you got through IndieGoGo? Did you get two and just give one away? That means you defrauded me.

I am also terminating that Steam key shortly you were issued. I don't need your money or your business. You're an idiot, that isn't criticism, that's telling my forum what I said about my own game. I never said any such thing. You're not welcome on that forum and I don't want you playing my game. Only a complete asshole plays a game for over a 100 hours then tells people on the forum that the author said it is totally broken and totally unbalanced. You got banned for being a pushy loudmouthed dickhead creating fake press releases for the game like you knew better what I said than I did. You don't work at Golden Era Games, shitbird. You're just a guy playing it. You misquoted me three times and made up your own narrative for my game. You are the only person so far suggesting this game is Early Access out of 4000+ players.

You should have asked for a refund earlier before your order was locked. People like you I don't need as customers. Be sure to mention you were spamming for a free key that got canceled in your review. As it is I am going to personally assure you are refunded. You are not getting that hardback manual and accompanying perks. You don't deserve nice things.

You had some trust issued to you. Looks like you could not be trusted even a little bit.

By the time your review comes out, Grimoire will have the finishing polish added to it. Keep winning snowflake.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

I'd say without the release and all the feedback coming in Cleve would never fix and polish the game the way he imagines. He'd be stuck in the microissues stage forever. In a game this vast feedback from dozens or hundreds of players is indispensable. Look at all the giants like EA or Ubisoft with armies of QA desk jockeys, even them keep patching and rebalancing their games after release as soon as customer feedback starts rolling in.

He should've released the game way sooner, in a beta regime or some such.

Thing is, he did, but he never listened. Now he is listening, so that is a good thing all around. Whether or not he can implement the things that are needed, well, time will tell.

It almost sounds sometimes like you know what you are talking about. You don't.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Where in the IndieGoGo campaign were you assured a Steam key when you donated? If you believed this game was Early Access why did you play for over 100 hours? Something is not quite right there.

I didn't even know you were a backer when I asked my wife to send you a Steam key. Sorry, what happened to the Steam key you got through IndieGoGo? Did you get two and just give one away? That means you defrauded me.

I am also terminating that Steam key shortly you were issued. I don't need your money or your business. You're an idiot, that isn't criticism, that's telling my forum what I said about my own game. I never said any such thing. You're not welcome on that forum and I don't want you playing my game. Only a complete asshole plays a game for over a 100 hours then tells people on the forum that the author said it is totally broken and totally unbalanced. You got banned for being a pushy loudmouthed dickhead creating fake press releases for the game like you knew better what I said than I did. You don't work at Golden Era Games, shitbird. You're just a guy playing it. You misquoted me three times and made up your own narrative for my game. You are the only person so far suggesting this game is Early Access out of 4000+ players.

You should have asked for a refund earlier before your order was locked. People like you I don't need as customers. Be sure to mention you were spamming for a free key that got canceled in your review. As it is I am going to personally assure you are refunded. You are not getting that hardback manual and accompanying perks. You don't deserve nice things.

You had some trust issued to you. Looks like you could not be trusted even a little bit.

By the time your review comes out, Grimoire will have the finishing polish added to it. Keep winning snowflake.
Your wife didn't send me a key, she just told me that the backer keys were sent. My key came from Indiegogo.

And I didn't "misquote" you:

DHkMzKmU0AEwWax.jpg:large

You KNOW the game is unbalanced.

Anyway, I look forward to that $100 refund.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Not sure what that means or if that was a light-hearted, possibly sarcastic response, but how do you "git gud" when you're level 1, still using sticks and pencils as weapons, and combat options are rather limited?

You "git gud" when you're level 1 and using saurian claws as weapons, duh.

This is why half the players coast through all these early regions without shedding a single mascara tear. Brainpower. They don't just punch buttons. They take the weapons out of the hands of the players sometimes and fight HTH and with breath weapons and discover some of their party have better natural weapons than what they were issued. Just punching buttons on Progress quest works on other games. Not Grimoire.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Your wife didn't send me a key, she just told me that the backer keys were sent. My key came from Indiegogo.

And I didn't "misquote" you:

DHkMzKmU0AEwWax.jpg:large

You KNOW the game is unbalanced.

Anyway, I look forward to that $100 refund.

You didn't get banned for saying the game was totally broken and totally unbalanced. You got banned for telling others on the forum I said that and correcting me when I posted to correct you. You could say what YOU want. Telling people what I said is full blown retard. You went full autism spectrum on me and you got ejected.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Speaking of magic regeneration, just noticed my aeorb now takes less than a second to regenerate 100+ mp while sleeping. Is it the patch, or did I equip something nice while shuffling loot?

Have you equipped Golden Armor? I equipped that particular item and my Templar's HP / MP regenerate incredibly fast while sleeping and during combat.

The golden armour is the best armour in the game, hands down. Not even Elite Vanguard Armor comes close. There are three ways to get it in the game.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Golden Armor?
Just checked. Mana regen works. Exactly what I needed. I have two Golden Armors. NOW I can make my Bard a dedicated MagicScreener, without removing Cap'o'Rushes, I can make my Metalsmith a dedicated Armorplater, AND I can keep Mollusk Master helmet on my drow Cleric, so that she can still regen mana at a decent fuckhueg rate (instead of her "normal" one).

Problem solved.

Thank you.

This is one of the biggest exploits in the game. Get two hardened warriors on the front row both with golden armour the monsters are done, they will blow away like chaff if you also have powerful spell casters in back of them.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleve, you've got to learn to take constructive criticism man. I'm sure raging, unmitigated narcissistic personality disorder is a real bear to live with, but deleting threads just because they aren't full of fanboy bullshit isn't going to do much for your reputation, let alone the reputation of your game.

-----------

"What happened to the guys thread who completed the game recently?
I was just in the middle of asking a question and it seemed to have disappered/been deleted? I'm honestly not sure why since everything being discussed was fairly civil?"

Best person to give advice on this subject is the pirate who already got permabanned and came over to the Codex because it's the last place on Earth that hasn't banned him.

Interesting though.

[IGNORE]

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But seriously, how do you keep playing a game for 80 hours and then say it's Early Access? Doesn't make sense. I also think it's wrong to tell people it's "broken" beyond the first areas. There is a lot of great content beyond that. And did you really get a free key in addition to your backer key? That's not very ethical, is it?
I never got a free key, nor I never asked for one.

And I never said the ENTIRE GAME is broken, but the combat is. And I enjoyed the game DESPITE the broken combat - but people should know what they're buying. Cleve sets up a store page saying it's done and offers 600 hours, then go on the forums to talk about how it's still unbalanced and all that.

You didn't get banned for saying the game was totally broken and totally unbalanced. You got banned for telling others on the forum I said that and correcting me when I posted to correct you. You could say what YOU want. Telling people what I said is full blown retard. You went full autism spectrum on me and you got ejected.
Bullshit, you wrote it yourself that it was because I was "aggressively trashing the game"

2psWbQB.jpg

Now where's my refund Cleve?

Lord Andre

Arcane
Accusing a released game of being 'early access' is a shit move in my opinion. As a dev I would also be super pissed off about it. You pour your soul into the game and here comes RPGConnoisseur McCoolguy and tells you "terribly sorry ol' chap but this interactive media of yours, charming as it may be, belongs on the early access heap. Checkmate."

If I was a developer I'd get super pissed. " Fuck you, fuck your sister, fuck the horse that spawned the horse that you rode in on. Yeah, it's not perfect, the game has some issues, it's not an A+ it's a B- go fuck yourself ! "

That's what I'd be thinking.

And the second thing that would annoy me is this "wait for v2" bullshit. You can't fucking gorge yourself on the game for close to 100 hours in a short time segment, come out the other end with blisters on your fingers and say "everyone else should wait". That's like the misses asking you "Hey John, come have a taste and tell me if this stew is ready." and you go over, eat half the pot right there on the spot and then tell her "It's not ready honey. You shouldn't serve it to anyone else until it boils for another 3 hours.". Are you shitting me ?

He goes on to say that after the 30 hour mark he cheesed all encounters. Really? For 60 hours straight? All of them? Every single one? At that point you might want to consider that you're just shit at playing the game. Just a theory.

Now of course, each player has the right to their opinion and what Cleve did was a super shit move. Going full Gestapo as soon as you rule your own little forum is a total shit move. A total shit move. Bethesda level shit move. Real bad, m'kay.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that while I fully disagree with what Cleve did I also understand how he feels to an extent.

And also Felipepe is a super cool bro but that feedback was a mix of game journalism lingo and blank statements. That's what it read like to me. I'm just telling it like I see it, don't want to flame any one, it was his opinion, it should never have been deleted, I don't care, sorry not sorry but it kind of sucked.

Tarrant

Educated
But seriously, how do you keep playing a game for 80 hours and then say it's Early Access? Doesn't make sense. I also think it's wrong to tell people it's "broken" beyond the first areas. There is a lot of great content beyond that. And did you really get a free key in addition to your backer key? That's not very ethical, is it?
I never got a free key, nor I never asked for one.

And I never said the ENTIRE GAME is broken, but the combat is. And I enjoyed the game DESPITE the broken combat - but people should know what they're buying. Cleve sets up a store page saying it's done and offers 600 hours, then go on the forums to talk about how it's still unbalanced and all that.

Bullshit, you wrote it yourself that it was because I was "aggressively trashing the game"

2psWbQB.jpg

Now where's my refund Cleve?

FWIW, I had read the thread prior to deletion and I don't recall seeing felipepepe make a claim that Cleve said that. The only question in my mind is whether Cleve is lying or conflating, the latter being something people do who share his fascinating constellation of personality disorders. Conflaters don't actually realize they're lying because their reality gets warped.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Combat is not broken, it just has a few exploits that you could use. Some of those exploits have already been closed. You still played it for 80 hours and you enjoyed it, so why suggest to people that they should not play beyond the first region? It's simply not true that "people would get frustrated and quit" after the first region.

Tarrant

Educated

No offense, but you've got Cleve's cock so far down your throat that I'm academically fascinated you can type at all.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The only reason I can say "wait for V2" is because there is one planned.

Because the game is so unbalanced right now you can kill any boss in the first turn with a Critical Hit,
Because you can win almost every battle by casting overpowered spells in the first turn,
Because XP rewards make no sense - I needed 200,000xp for the next level, enemies gave 500xp,
Because 99% of treasure chests use the exact same loot tablet,
Because some areas have Lv 1 encounters next to end-game mobs,
Because features like Metallurgy and Hunger are still missing from the game,
Because some areas still have unfinished objects you can't interact with,
Because it sill crashes from time to time,
Because some NPCs have quest lines that can't be completed,
Because it still has serious issues like key NPCs vanishing, items that can't be picked up, recruitable character stats reseting when you dismiss them, etc
Because it doesn't even have a goddamn manual, FFS.

That's why it's an Early Access game.

Last edited:

Klysandral

Barely Literate

Combat is not broken, it just has a few exploits that you could use. Some of those exploits have already been closed. You still played it for 80 hours and you enjoyed it, so why suggest to people that they should not play beyond the first region? It's simply not true that "people would get frustrated and quit" after the first region.

I agree with felipepepe that combat is broken. Hence I stop playing after 50 hours. I remember reading on the steam forum that you have also stopped playing and are waiting for V2 before resuming the game? I believe most people who play far enough into the game recognize the unbalances; it is just that felipepepe and some others are more straightforward is voicing their opinions while people who seems to be more attached to the game are more reserved.

Latro

Arcane
The game's combat being a tad unbalanced is nothing similar to "broken". Broken has HUGE NEGATIVE connotations, and I'm surprised pepe really is taken aback that Cleve is shutting him down over it. Pepe, your review was the first thing people saw, and "Combat is broken lul" is not very positive, or true at all. When I hear something is BROKEN, I imagine that the entire thing is a buggy joke that ruins the game, and Grimoire's combat is very fun. Are we truly in the age of Sawyer where being able to cheese through combat situations is enough to qualify it as a failure?

Going into the pyramid after the megalith is kinda hilarious. After crawling through all these floors of Naga murderers these Rhattu feel like tiny chumps. I hope there's more to this dungeon because although I didn't quite like the design of the Megalith these fights with bros who had low level Lethal Blows felt really good in comparison to the rest of the fights. I wish some of the creatures that had insta-kill mechanics had levels of Lethal Blow instead.

I actually had to heal in a combat encounter for the first time in that dungeon so that their lethal blows didn't proc, and now it's just attack-spam dorky rats.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The game's combat being a tad unbalanced is nothing similar to "broken". Broken has HUGE NEGATIVE connotations, and I'm surprised pepe really is taken aback that Cleve is shutting him down over it. Pepe, your review was the first thing people saw, and "Combat is broken lul" is not very positive, or true at all. When I hear something is BROKEN, I imagine that the entire thing is a buggy joke that ruins the game, and Grimoire's combat is very fun. Are we truly in the age of Sawyer where being able to cheese through combat situations is enough to qualify it as a failure?
It has enemies, like the Dark Fairies or those fucking ninjas, that can kill your entire party before you can even act.
Most bosses can be stunlocked forever with Charm, Paralysis, Flesh to Stone, etc
The ones that are immune to these will die with a single Critical Strike or by using items like the Vorpal Sword.
Enemies attack your character on the upper right more than anyone else.
Spells like Freezing Sphere deal over 1000 in AoE damage, which kills any enemy in the game.
Because XP rewards make no sense, you can't level up your party properly. Viata and I never got anyone to Lv 10 to do the class change.

I don't know about your standards, but if I have to choose carefully my weapons & spells to AVOID killing bosses in the first turn, then I'd say the combat is damn fucking broken.

Not to mention more nuanced things, like how the game is filled with enemies that will kill you in one blow, but resurrecting characters reduce their CON, meaning that some characters in my party grew weaker instead of stronger in the mid/end-game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom