Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What new game should inXile Entertainment make if Wasteland 2 is very good?

What new game should inXile Entertainment work on next?

• Wasteland 3

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • PlaneScape: Torment sequel/spin-off/spiritual sequel.

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura sequel/spin-off/spiritual sequel.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer sequel/spin-off/spiritual

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • A new Dungeons & Dragons game. (RPG or otherwise)

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • A new IP. (RPG or otherwise)

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • My Little Pony RPG (kc)

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • Other (idea not listed here).

Votes: 15 10.2%

• Total voters

bminorkey

New IP obviously. I understand the industry fixation of making a dozen sequels to just about anything, but by god it is awful. If WL2 goes well inXile should be in a position to try something new.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
I say Wasteland 3, mostly because I think there'll be enough room for improvement left for Inxile to do more of the same. New IP after that.

GreyViper

Prophet
My Little Pony RPG, that shit would sell for thousands, if Pony Farms and other similar things are any indication. Mind you this wouldn't be aimed at us, tough certain people here would gladly embrace this game.

dragonbait

Augur
Dragon Wars 2 (My first choice.)
Phantasie IV (Wonder who owns the rights to this now?)
Might and Magic X
System Shock 3
Pools of even Darker Darkness (an expansion to Pools of Radiance, for the level 5 - 15 characters, with the original charm.)
Otherwise, not many on the poll list appeal to me.

Hi Daemongar,

Not sure who owns the rights to Phantasie now, but a Phantasie IV was apparently released in 1991 for MSX.
http://www.msxblue.com/?p=946&lang=en

FrancoTAU

Cipher
If you're going outside the traditional publishing model, why not do an original IP? Otherwise you start to get yourself into an SSI or Obsidian problem of having nothing if a license dries up on you.

Go with a Sci Fi that actually stresses some science, a western RPG or a modern criminal based one.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Dragon Wars 2 (My first choice.)
Phantasie IV (Wonder who owns the rights to this now?)
Might and Magic X
System Shock 3
Pools of even Darker Darkness (an expansion to Pools of Radiance, for the level 5 - 15 characters, with the original charm.)
Otherwise, not many on the poll list appeal to me.

Hi Daemongar,

Not sure who owns the rights to Phantasie now, but a Phantasie IV was apparently released in 1991 for MSX.
http://www.msxblue.com/?p=946&lang=en
Thanks. Someone else pointed it out, but that link was interesting to read. However, it wasn't exactly a broad based release. I mean, technically Fountain of Dreams was a psuedo-Wasteland 2, but here we are.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anything that isn't D&D. Could be Arcanum 2. They could also make a history-based RPG set in a realistic world.

Gregz

Arcane
I would like to see a modernized version of Steve Jackson's Car Wars.

Auto Assault tried, and almost succeeded, but the game was ahead of its time and there were some critical design missteps:

off_large.jpg

auto_large_1.jpg

rqq6v3yjs67tyyjzztu5jl6xi4oh3u2tlsygux1n48h27227uvaegfbyjzgluhff0ew5bxse60gbahh6csjs8vrru8dpps5z824iy-800.jpg

asper

Arcane
I would like to see a modernized version of Steve Jackson's Car Wars.

Ohhhh yes! It would be better suited for a strategy dev though. I'd love to see a Sir-Tech Car Wars game.

Haraldur

Augur
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri RPG. Imagine: a homo superior, an empath and guy with a singularity gun in psionic battle with a swarm of mindworms while the xenofungal landscape changes shape around them, with storyfagginess with Planet and factional intrigue going 14 ways...:bounce:

There is a GURPS 3rd edition source book as well.

asper

Arcane
Car Wars is a tabletop strategy game and in no way an RPG, if I recall correctly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
World of Darkness rpg(modern setting) would make a good game and we need a geniune vampire game to make amends for twilight.

I personally would rather see Obsidian do that. But I have not seen any of inXile's writing style to see if they could do such a game justice.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
From the wiki:

Fading Suns is a science fiction space opera role-playing game published by Holistic Design. The setting was also used for a PC game (Emperor of the Fading Suns), a live action role-playing game (Passion Play), and for a space combat miniature game (Noble Armada).

The action is set in a future medieval-analogue empire built on the remains of a previous, more sophisticated human galaxy-spanning civilization made possible by ancient "Jumpgates". The Jumpgates are relics left over from an ancient civilization or civilizations, the mysterious Anunnaki, who seems to have influenced the evolution of the lesser species (such as humans) for their own end, and waged a devastating war many millennia ago using the lesser species as tools of war.

The atmosphere is strongly reminiscent of Frank Herbert's Dune and of the Hyperion stories by Dan Simmons, but borrows from many other science fiction books and movies as well.

Power is administered by noble houses, guilds and by the monolithic Holy Church. Psionic powers exist but psionicists are often hunted down and killed by the Church (or led back to orthodoxy and enrolled in the Church's ranks). The Church is also capable of producing miracles through Theurgic rites, a kind of divine sorcery.

While most roleplaying situations arise from the strict codes regulating the everyday life of the empire's citizens, the imperial age is rife with opportunities for adventure: following the fall of the old regime and the following centuries of darkness and warfare, many worlds have slipped back to a pre-civilized state, and a number of alien threats lurk in the shadows.

Players take the roles of members of the aristocracy, of the various merchant guilds or of a number of religious sects, and alien characters are also available.

A large library of supplements provides description of locales (planets, space stations, whole sections of space), alien societies, minor houses, guilds and sects, monsters and secret conspiracies, thus expanding the thematic possibilities offered by the setting.

Of course, I only ever played the rather flawed but still entertaining 4x game Emperor of the Fading Suns, so I could not comment on what the pen and paper roleplaying is actually like. I did, however, collect and read the various rule books and manuals and I must confess to liking them quite a bit.

All in all, I find the setting to be very appealing, second only to Planescape.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This thread is a glimpse back into simpler, more naive times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom