Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Mazisky

Magister
Finally a night mission, i thought there were none of them

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Kinda weird they have to sell it with Baldur's Gate comparisons of all things. SpellForce always stood on its own for me in its particular form of genre mixer.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kinda weird they have to sell it with Baldur's Gate comparisons of all things. SpellForce always stood on its own for me in its particular form of genre mixer.
True, but on the other hand, who really played Spellforce 2?
Baldur's Gate will ring a lot of bells.

Kahr

Why do they go to Baldurs Gate? They just need to build an image around Warcraft 3 if they want to sell that game.
Or is the image of that to centered on e-gaming?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do they go to Baldurs Gate? They just need to build an image around Warcraft 3 if they want to sell that game.
Or is the image of that to centered on e-gaming?
Warcraft 3's "RPG" system is very, very, very basic. In WC3, the hero is really just a somewhat stronger unit with few abilities.
Indeed the RPG part of Spellforce 2 is closer to BG than WC3 (there were far more choices and playstyles, even if not well balanced), so I can understand that comparison.

It's really hard to find a good comparison for Spellforce, because it simply hasn't been done like that by anyone else. Maybe Warlords Battlecry would be closest, but it's still pretty far off.
So I'd more try and compare it to two games - one an RTS, the other an RPG.

Kahr

Yeah! In reality you would be right, but it's about marketing here and i guess they would sell much more if they would just go in the warcraft 3 direction.
RTS+RPG= "Hey guys: What about a new Warcraft 3?"
I'm sure much people would fall for it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I don't know. They can basically sell their game to any RPG player who isn't opposed to RTS and the other way around.
Maybe this is some kind of grand dual marketing strategy :lol:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"Old-school RPGs like Baldur's Gate" ....riiiiiight. Anyway, like I said somewhere around here, the problem with Spellforce has always been the "mix" of RTS and RPG, in that there's never been a mix, just doing the 2 things at the same time. When you sing while you paint, you aren't blending music and painting, just doing them simultaneously. I.e. I've never really liked SF that much, even though I maybe haven't given it a fair chance since I've always abandoned it after the 2nd or 3rd mission. "Generic" is also a word that is popping into my mind right now. We'll see what they do with this third installment, I didn't even know they had enough fans to justify and finance 2 sequels.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Anyway, like I said somewhere around here, the problem with Spellforce has always been the "mix" of RTS and RPG, in that there's never been a mix, just doing the 2 things at the same time. When you sing while you paint, you aren't blending music and painting, just doing them simultaneously.
Well, both parts were fairly detached from each other, that is true. But I don't see how that could not be called a mix. You're having both in the same game, usually even at the same time.
Of course, if the two parts were a bit more deeply connected (as they are in WBC, for example, even if just a bit), it would improve things IMO.

We'll see what they do with this third installment, I didn't even know they had enough fans to justify and finance 2 sequels.
That surprised me as well. Didn't even know the game was well known outside of Germany...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
:d1p:

No doubt.
Can't help it, I'm a total sucker for this specific genre mix. Which basically has no entries other than Spellforce and Warlords Battlecry :lol:
I just really hope it won't be total shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Why does everyone have dyed hair in that presentation lol. The dude probably shouldn't do it, his gay is showing. Or at least dye the beard, too. SF3 looks meh and it will probably be meh.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never got into the Spellforce series but this looks very Baldur's Gate-y to me, more so than Turds of Eternity.
I don't remember them ever letting you pause to issue orders. That would be a big difference compared to BG (or did I miss something that obvious?).

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't think an RTS should have a pause button in which you can issue orders, that goes against the spirit of "RT".

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I don't think an RTS should have a pause button in which you can issue orders, that goes against the spirit of "RT".
Have you heard of the mystical RTwP? ;)

That said, I also cannot remember many RTS games that let you pause the game. Usually these games feature multiplayer and obviously a pause feature wouldn't make sense there so usually they don't bother implementing it in SP.
I mean, pause for sure, but probably not giving orders during it.

I wouldn't mind either way, though, to be honest.
But if it is anything like the previous installments, it won't be that frantic (thankfully!) so a pause functionality wouldn't be required that much.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Total War and Knights of Honor did for sure.
It was also possible to issue orders in DoW SP while in pause, but it was not very responsive iirc.
I suppose Kohan too let that happen.
The problem with Spellforce is that you have 4 character to command, each with special abilities, and lots of troops, so RTwP would really help, as it degenerates into a clickfest qucikly.
It was the main reason why I tried to clean most of the maps with the heroes alone, but that also was fiddly.

deama

Prophet
Hopefully it'll have some warlords battlecry inspired features.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom