Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tale of Wuxia - Prequel released on Steam too

Jinn

Arcane
234 reviews, 40% positive. WTF happened.

One of the top chinese language reviews starts off with "Recently Steam keeps giving me Error 103, so for XiaQian to get me to go out of my way to post this negative review is quite an accomplishment."

Apparently the Chinese version has been suffering from a ton of glaring bugs, which is unacceptable because the game has already been out for a year there before the steam release. Western reviews have been pretty forgiving for the most part, but the translation is just fucking atrocious. I don't know how they expect to break into the western market with this kind of half-assed job.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
As before, the translation is shoddy as fuck but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. I have 10 hours in so far. Probably my biggest concern is that I have no understanding of how much the game mechanics have changed from the first game, so I'm really wary about spending finite resources on my characters. I don't know if it's possible for them to leave or whether it's a good idea to save your stuff until you get better fighters later in the game ***. I haven't really run into any glaring bugs ever since they fixed the inability to right click people in battle, since now I know what buffs/debuffs they have. Probably the only thing I REALLY want right now is an option to speed up animations because there's some 20+ character battles that I want to be able to replay but they just take so long, especially since you can't just forfeit or reload once you know a tactic didn't work.

*** I don't want anyone spoiling it tho, thank you.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope they can support the game. It seems it isn't the content that is the problem.

Having beaten the first game yesterday (two parallel playthroughs), I think these guys know how to make good games ut:

1. Try to contact people who can translate your games properly.
2. If you say that you will support the game after release, then support the game after release.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Free story DLC for the prequel is coming:

JOURNEY TO THE NETHER WORLD
In the story of "The Way to Nether", the player can witness the history of how the Martial Artist Yan Dansheng built the “notorious ” Fengdu with a group of dissimilar companions .

New Plots
In The Way to Nether, players will control the main character Yan Dansheng to practice the legendary Internal Style - Infernal Art and dabble into Fengdu's secret history. Fengdu's "future" is now on you. Whether Fengdu will be doomed to have gone in a flash like a comet or otherwise, it all depends on you heroes!

New modes, new gameplay
Yama will lead the people of Fengdu fight in the Central China, player will be able to choose their own adventure,but note that some levels have time limit, they will not appear again once missed!

"The Way to Nether" will take a different upgrade system from Prequel's four-dimentional system. After the combat you can acquire martial points to improve your abilities, or learn new talents!

The Troops
Master of Fengdu does not fight alone. In campaign mode, players can recruit xiake who would be 'willing' to do the fighting for them. Rope will be your loyal recruiting officer.

When you get the extra troops, you can freely choose the upgrade route for them. High defense? High damage? You can choose all kinds of collocations.

In addition to combat forces, the troops have other functions. You can order troops to watch the village to increase the unique "Reputation" values of The Way to Nether, or sell them directly to the market for money.

Sarathiour

Cipher
:necro:

Profiting from the book of dragon release to exhume this thread.

I would have liked to follow the advices given before the title screen, but the steam version crash just after the character creation, whereas the one I found on some USB key in the trashcan of the subway work right off the bat. :baka:

Anything else I should know ?

notpl

Arbiter
:necro:

Profiting from the book of dragon release to exhume this thread.

I would have liked to follow the advices given before the title screen, but the steam version crash just after the character creation, whereas the one I found on some USB key in the trashcan of the subway work right off the bat. :baka:

Anything else I should know ?
A few of the story combats are really, outrageously difficult. You can make your playthrough unwinnable if you waste your limited martial arts slots on duds. Make sure to only learn inner styles that give huge per-level boosts to make your main characters as strong as possible, and be sure to learn a couple moves that grant invincibility. Walk around a lot and switch people around in your party, there's a ton of hidden content that only unlocks when you examine a certain thing at a certain point with a particular character in your party.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is 3/4 difficulty fine as long as I'm not completely retarded ?
It isn't impossible, but you will need to know what you're doing with training your characters.

Also, if you get a certain stone, and an NPC offers to buy it, don't sell it no matter what you do.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
- Win the prologue battle with Feng Du.

- Play main game with dlc installed, it adds some new stuff. IIRC a crazy blade skill that allows one to reflect 300% damage, suffice to say the final boss lasted one turn.

- Add the party member who increases the number of attribute points you get asap.

- Steal whenever you can. You can get gud stuff even from monkeys. There are two thieves, each can acquire stuff the other can't. There's a repeatable event with the female thief that gives free attribute points.

- Pay attention to rumours. Certain rumours trigger events.

As an aside, it pissed me off that Heluo was too lazy to design an older version of Ziling for the epilogue.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I don't know if the working version that I got include the DLC, and I suffer from a terminal case of not being able to decipher Qina moonrune.

Sarathiour

Cipher
This one is for the other Tales of Wuxia game, aka the pre-sequel, or zero. DLC for the first one is allegedly included with the base game, trough it conflicted with the English translation at some point, dunno if this has been fixed. Also not the only one for which the "legal" version got issue, it's apparently because of some update around 2020-21.

notpl

Arbiter
I still have no idea what the DLC to the prequel (the game sold as Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel on steam, to be absolutely clear) adds to the base game, if anything. There's all sorts of conflicting info online about new recruitable characters and stuff and these games are so inscrutable that there's no knowing whether your game is bugged, the rumors online are fake, or such things really are in the game and you just haven't figured out how to trigger them.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Some of the stuff added isn't available in the Steam/English version.

I thought you were playing pre-sequel. If you're playing Tale of Wuxia, I will double down on my advice to play on difficulty 2/4.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Prequel dlc makes Shen Lan and that flower chick recruitable, and changes outcome of Mu Ping quest. It also changes some events somewhat with added dialogue.

Sarathiour

Cipher
According to the guide online, difficulty mainly change the AI, and only impact damage done on noob and grand master, ie in noob you only take a fraction of damage whereas in grand master you only deal half damage.

Might be the reason why I got enemies that just stop attacking after a couple of round, for reason beyond my understanding.
The poison internal style did not make me immune to poison reeeeeee , unless I'm a tard and this only work once you maxed it.
I think some event broke, never got anything in finger despite raising it to 40+, and I still don't have alchemy despite being in Y3.
The game don't take kindly to reloading, it fucks up non-playable Chinese selling list a few time, and also outright broke few minigames like the painting puzzle one.
Going fully blind might is probably going to fuck the first playthrough, I'm using fist and some of the art unlock are pretty obscure, it's probably even worse if you're going for something more convoluted like fan. I apparently fucked up the acquisition of one because I give the beggar food, but told him to fuck off when he ask to come freeloading to the valley. Also pretty easy to miss step for some wifu.
So far budha nine style palm carried me trough year 2, and I narrowly missed it on the first village, because the monk only ask you for money if you already got enough of it. Big problem of fist is that it's highly reliant on combo early on, so lot of rng going on, especially given that counter can fuck up a combo.

Nice game, but it's pretty clear that dumb laowai are not the target of this, not being fluent in qina moonrune and moonspeak breaks up a lot thing, and I don't think that I will ever see a better translation than the current one.

notpl

Arbiter
A few of the martial arts are very obscure in their unlock requirements, yes, and many of them are references to things that you would know from reading chinese literature. Any chinese schoolchild knows that all beggars are secretly martial arts masters and that by offering food to them you will eventually learn the strongest palm and staff arts in the world, for example.

If you don't want to use a guide, just remember that most things are tied to characters. If you want to learn beggar martial arts, seek out events where you befriend the beggar disciple. If you want to learn medicine, date the healer girl. Music all comes from Celestial Melody, and she teaches you different things based on your mood that day. And so on. Most of them are fairly obvious, only a few hilariously OP martial arts require a guide.

You're also supposed to roll with the punches somewhat - it isn't hard to raise your skill in specific weapons, so if you find an unbelievably strong saber art it's feasible to just switch over to it.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Yeah, my snip about laowai was mostly about that, it's pretty obvious that there is a ton of stuff that are flying over my head because I know jack shit about Chinese literature or even culture, and the rough translation does not help, and give up altogether when it comes to wordplay or calligraphy technics.
For the event, I found out that you also had to keep in mind the conversation, a few of them are hinting their next location, the most obvious example that come to my mind is a few of them asking you to come drink with them later on, ie meet them at the tavern.
I tried to avoid using guide too much, but upon glancing on the romance timetable, it's obvious that a few things heavily depend on meta-knowledge.

notpl

Arbiter
Yeah, my snip about laowai was mostly about that, it's pretty obvious that there is a ton of stuff that are flying over my head because I know jack shit about Chinese literature or even culture, and the rough translation does not help, and give up altogether when it comes to wordplay or calligraphy technics.
For the event, I found out that you also had to keep in mind the conversation, a few of them are hinting their next location, the most obvious example that come to my mind is a few of them asking you to come drink with them later on, ie meet them at the tavern.
I tried to avoid using guide too much, but upon glancing on the romance timetable, it's obvious that a few things heavily depend on meta-knowledge.
If you want to avoid a guide it's really not THAT bad. If you really care about a specific romance or other relationship, you just have to reload to make sure you're not missing any unique events. You should be strolling rather than training almost 100% of the time past the first year. All you really need to know is that for the "true"/golden ending you need to pursue your relationship with the red-haired ninja-looking guy who you meet in the tavern alongside the blue-haired child prodigy character and pay close attention to subplots/objectives, to pursue the evil ending you need to max out your friendship with jing ji and keep yourself antagonistic with master zi. If you enjoy the game you'll end up playing it multiple times, though, don't be afraid of this. It's a really wonderful time and even the default good guy ending you get railroaded to is fine and enjoyable.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
I reached Y4 august without too much hassle, and got good enough fist and finger style, I should be fine for the normal ending. Got 4 wifu in the end: chun li, the thief, the tsundere and the medicine girl.
I started the the chain of event with the red-haired ninja looking """guy""", but it abruptly stop, probably because I lacked some other requirement.
I think I know realize that the "optimal" style selection would probably to pick a weapon and to eventually complete your move set by taking some unarmed form as a secondary style. Fist "weapons" run out of good item extremely quickly compared to some sword or staff that I got, and I've never saw a shingle one for leg.

Will probably does another playthrough later on this year, once I manage to beat the game for the first time.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Finished the uh, "dongchang" (the beggar sect member with blue hair) path. I'm pretty sure this is a later addition, because the translation quality took a nosedive, and lot of dialog become gibberish. It also feel disconnected from the plot and quite abrupt, you are indeed on the world map, but no one can be recruited and there is no quest nor new event.
You're also fighting a ton of beggar, and they often got annoying formation with a lot of fodder boosting evasion of allies, whereas the elder deal around 1k damage and prevent dodging and rispote. As you don't get to choose your allies, you got no healer and most of your friend won't get to last more than two turns in any fight. The tactics that launch mass poison is probably the thing that carried me trough this.
On the list of minor complain, the impossibility to bulk buy is pretty annoying in late game, I launch around 200 arrow per hunting session with a good bow, which means I also have to left 200 time on a + button beforehand.
Apparently, some fan are planning to finish translating the last update of the Chinese version, ie dual wielding, NG+, minor event and the most borked part of the current translation. Might be out in a year or two, I will probably reload my game and do the "alliance" ending, and then try waiting for it before necroing the thread again.

Overall, quite a good time, would recommend despite the lack of polish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom