Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deep Sky Derelicts - turn-based card strategy/RPG where you explore derelict ships

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.snowhoundgames.com/deep-sky-derelicts/

https://af.gog.com/game/deep_sky_derelicts?as=1649904300

With roguelike elements and card-based combat, developed by Finnish studio Snowhound Games and published by 1C Company.

ss_507a75668bc759024bc2a86e905074a0b8385f90.jpg

ss_43ef1709f351ea1429034bf3cf88dd11fbbf90ce.jpg

ss_80b069bfb47d522c441440c5513e9a458667a751.jpg

In a grim dystopian future, where mankind has scattered across the galaxy and the human society has split into two distinct classes, you are a poor stateless outcast forced to live off scraps from derelict alien stations and ships in the outer space, yet you dream of becoming a privileged citizen and living on the surface of a habitable planet, enjoying non-synthetic air, water and food. A fabled alien derelict ship somewhere within the Deep Sky sector of space is your voucher for a citizenship and a promise of cozy life on a hospitable planet.

Hire and control a squad of up to three mercenary characters and set on to explore derelict ships within your reach from the scavenger's base. Searching the derelicts for loot and clues, you come across many friendly inhabitants and traders, but more often – various enemies. Challenge and defeat them in tactical turn-based fights, where randomly-drawn cards form your changing arsenal of combat actions, gain experience for yourself and your crew, loot dead bodies, resupply and upgrade once back at your base. The scavenger's home ship gives you the opportunity to heal and level-up your mercenaries, recruit new ones, equip them, upgrade their gear or recharge energy for life support during missions.

Key Features:
  • Fresh take on turn-based combat with cards
  • Refined sci-fi comic book look & feel
  • Endless customization options for characters and scavenging teams
  • High replay value thanks to procedural generation of content
  • Story of the human society divided within a dystopian universe
  • Two game modes: story and arena

Last edited by a moderator:

ColCol

Arcane
Was excited upon reading...but it seems that the game is filled with shit that is killing my interest.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I'm NOT really a fan of computer card games, at all. But I like the Heavy Metal look of the art, I like Space and I can probably get past the in game writing even if it's as bad as what's in the promo blurb. It could be a fun and relaxing little space adventure.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm not sure why this thread moved to here The Gazebo. This seems like a roguelike-ish with cards being used in combat rather than a card game with RPG elements.

And Project 1v1 thread too? It may be even more far from a card or tabletop inspired game but essentially an FPS, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Completely forgot about this until it popped in my discovery queue today. Looks interesting.

Kalasanty11

Learned
Some compare this game to The Darkest Dungeon... I wonder how will it turn out to be in the end.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
This looks promising if you like the card game mechanics and the associated brutal randomness.

It was more expensive than 16 euro in NL btw, not sure why that is. Must be taxes or something.

Beastro

Arcane
I hate the art style.

Reminds me of the cheap ass computer cartoons people have been making that killed off hand drawn stuff. :(

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Picked this up on GoG today, it's actually fun, for now.
Unlike oasis789 above, I went with a Bruiser-Medic-Scrapper, so I haven't hit the easy zone yet. This card system keys the loot interesting at least.
I like the music too.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Another vaporware went back to live.
Wonder how they handle RNG, it was p.vile in Dorkest Dung.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The rng is fairly subdued here, I think. The abilities you use will tell you rather clearly what the outcome will be, and if you or your opponents can end, and what their evasion odds are. Abilities that have a range of damage will have it mentioned on their card. And any armor your opponents have is also visible.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Some more hours in and I'm yet to see a complete and total loss of crew, or a loss I could not revive later, and I've cleared about 5-6 ships so far.
Either I'm good, or the Medic is way too handy to have and the Bruiser is too much of a powerhouse git-krumpa.
Really love the music though.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It's out?
No idea why but it stuck to me as another vapourware that never leave early access. Sitting in my wishlist for months.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The art style is nice but the combat is lame. It feels like a mobile game (which it might be).

Healing and resurrections have a high cost. Exploration is not free (you cannot move freely without losing some resources).

The game tries to be difficult and edgy ... which it is for the wrong reasons: most fights are completely without any challenge but then it likes to throw some unfair fights just to pretend that it difficult and well-thought. It's not.

Hint: it's critical to recognize these kind of battles and flee when it's the case. This is basically the most important thing in the game.

Not much longer after starting the game I reached the point where I had to abandon missions without loot just because there was not other option. Bad design.

The game replayability is low and the story is uninteresting which means that frustration or boredom will set quite fast (as in my case).

I usually don't like to badmouth indie games but this one is not worth 20 potatoes. Wait for a discount.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
The art style is nice but the combat is lame. It feels like a mobile game (which it might be).

Healing and resurrections have a high cost. Exploration is not free (you cannot move freely without losing some resources).

The game tries to be difficult and edgy ... which it is for the wrong reasons: most fights are completely without any challenge but then it likes to throw some unfair fights just to pretend that it difficult and well-thought. It's not.

Hint: it's critical to recognize these kind of battles and flee when it's the case. This is basically the most important thing in the game.

Not much longer after starting the game I reached the point where I had to abandon missions without loot just because there was not other option. Bad design.

The game replayability is low and the story is uninteresting which means that frustration or boredom will set quite fast (as in my case).

I usually don't like to badmouth indie games but this one is not worth 20 potatoes. Wait for a discount.
What team you using?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

What team you using?

Something like Technician - Tracker - Bruiser.

I think I've switched one of them to Medic before I abandoned the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom