Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

West of Loathing - humourous B&W turn-based RPG

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Kingdom of Loathing was boss. Any game that is built on its setting and humour automatically piques my interest.

da_rays

Augur
Thank guys for putting this up on my radar! Bought it up since it wasnt that pricy . And i gotta say , its a very enjoyable ride. It remind me ( like someone else said earlier ) of South Park SoT . Im just 1hour in and having great fun. Its an open world RPGlite ( simple/easy mechanic ) with decent character building : 3 classes , 3 primary stats active ,combat skill , passive skills and a bunch of exploration/dialogue skills . all upgradable to your liking with your gained experience. Encountered a few C&C also , so all and all this little game is a very nice and solid RPGlite. The humour and flavor is kinda hit n miss sometime , but always enjoyable. Wish we had a few other little gem like that. A :obviously: :salute: For the OP

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Maybe a Codexer can help me a bit
Where the hell can i find some needles? founded 3 in the first little town but now nada
They are sold by various merchants, but to truly get a good supply you have to find the silversmith's house. It's located close to dirtwater

Urbanolo

Augur
Best RPG 2017, I hope you nerds are playing this. A lot of cool reactivity like becoming a necromancer and building a bridge out of bones instead of doing stupid fetch quests in Act 2 and many many others.
Commenting just to bump this thread and to see if there are any new opionions.

da_rays

Augur
Finally finished my 1st playthrough has a snake oiler , teamed up with Doc' . did a bunch of stuff affecting , but ho man did I miss a lot , there is so much to do / miss / fuck up / or plain dont see the dot correctly connected. A few things that was fun along the ride :

So yeah spoiler tag , clik at your own risk
the setting , tone and even graphic for the game. Refreshing. The reactivity of all the peoples , places , events and things across the game. While a bunch of them only have instant consequences , other affect things in the long term , even in a way you havent thought before. Had a few situation that came fucking me up the ass afterward. The El vibrato quest line was very nice to explore and do. I did a bunch of stuff from undersstanding that curious langage , changing the weather , killing all civilization 420 years laters and im sure i could have exploited that quest vein a lot more. Since i was with doc i didnt sat on the necromancer throne , she was pretty convincing with her pep talk before entering the tower. From what i saw from the final cut scene , I did an overall good job ''helping'' the poeple all over , but I did get a few winks at a few things i could have taken care of. All and all WoL is a great open world RPG with a wild west theme and a funny tone that can be a hit and miss depending on your style of humour. the biggest flaw tho is combat. pretty lite and easy , but its a hard thing to balanced in a open world rpg big on possibility like this. Sooner or later your gonna hit that GODLIKE status and pretty much kill everythinh you want , the way you want. Still very good game in my book. 8/10 , would ride on top of a stolen train , throwing shaving cream pie again.

gonna go start a new playthrough loaded wtih meta knowledge weapon. Its gonna be a sweet ride.

lightbane

Arcane
So, after having finished my first playthrough, I recommend this. As mentioned, this has more to do with hardcore rpgs the Codex is accustomed to, with tons of choices and consequences, boss battles that can be skipped (every one of them if I'm not mistaken), the chances of fucking up and permanently blocking yourself of something important/breaking a quest, powerful "evil" abilities that come with an increasing cost to pay as a sacrifice for such quick power, cursed items, skill checks in dialogues, Fallout 1-2 style endings, class-exclusive choices, puzzles, obscure bonuses that can be obtained by doing seemingly pointless things...

The only flaw IMO is that the humor might not be good for everyone, and that there are minor bugs that clearly deserve polish. For example: I was unable to access a location I knew it was somewhere because the world map refused to spawn the place, but whether that's due a bug or because it is not available to the character class I took is unknown.

About the low difficulty, luckily the games has a hidden "Hard Mode" that I myself haven't tested yet, but seems promising and is not merely about artificially bloating the enemies' hit points.

Truly a Game of the Year candidate. :incline::incline:

I wonder if the original MMORPG which this comes from is any good.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Hard mode does bloat some enemy stats but mainly it makes everything in shops more expensive while removing one of your inventory slots. Also forbids you from using a certain horse and pardner.

I recommend it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kingdom of Loathing is an excellent free-to-play, time-limited* browser RPG. (*You get a certain number of actions every hour day.) I don't think you can even buy extra actions with real money, but I don't remember. It's perfect if you have a distracted office job with web access. Give it a try.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Kingdom of Loathing is an excellent free-to-play, time-limited* browser RPG. (*You get a certain number of actions every hour.) I don't think you can even buy extra actions with real money, but I don't remember. It's perfect if you have a distracted office job with web access. Give it a try.
The actions are reset once per day, not every hour. You can get more actions from food/drinks/etc. and sometimes the monthly item (changes every month, costs 10$ but also can be bought from players) can provide good consumables. Even with the monthly items it's far from modern web browser P2W cancer. And it really isn't a MMORPG, the interaction between players is p. limited.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Kingdom of Loathing is an excellent free-to-play, time-limited* browser RPG. (*You get a certain number of actions every hour.) I don't think you can even buy extra actions with real money, but I don't remember. It's perfect if you have a distracted office job with web access. Give it a try.
The actions are reset once per day, not every hour. You can get more actions from food/drinks/etc. and sometimes the monthly item (changes every month, costs 10$ but also can be bought from players) can provide good consumables. Even with the monthly items it's far from modern web browser P2W cancer. And it really isn't a MMORPG, the interaction between players is p. limited.
It is pretty grindy though, you'll have seen everything in an area 3 times over (except the super rare stuff) and still need to visit it more to get enough xp to allow you to make any progress in the next area. At least that was my experience when I played it, many years ago.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
All right, I finished it! Had a good time.

It's a very easy game, of course, but hey, a fun diversion that scratches the basic RPG itch better than a lot of games these days. I liked the Fallout ending slides.

I played without a pardner, in Hard mode and finished the game at Day 1 for the "The Very Hard Way" achievement. If you are trying to do that as well I recommend the Cowpuncher. Talk your way out of any combat at the start, prioritize Speed and make a lot of lassos. Use dynamite on everything that looks at you funny. And don't use consumables until you find the best ones. (I used 3 Ghost Pickles, 3 Schmaltz Blue Ribbon, 1 Liquid Fudge (+22 all stats) and the rest were various coffees (perfect cup of coffee, third eye serum, elegant coffee). I finished the game with 100 in each modified stat and every skill/ability maxed. The first stat I would invest in is Grit until you have 5 Pain Tolerance, and then later, when you have a lot of XP, more Grit so you can drink the fudge (i., e., get a 4th food slot, requires 12 or 11 Grit.) Used the standard horse.

I actually read someone thought Cowpuncher was the worst class but it can't be that bad if it can beat the hardest variant of the game with ease in the lategame...

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I actually read someone thought Cowpuncher was the worst class but it can't be that bad if it can beat the hardest variant of the game with ease in the lategame...
I think I agree though, cowpunchers are the worst class(this does not mean it is bad though!). Their crafting options are terrible (except for the lasso), and their only standout skill is the stun punch. I think beanslinger is best, beanwall is crazy, their blizzard is the only good AoE skill (aside from necromancy!) not to mention the hp regen and beanshield.

Snake oiler has a lot of combat items, and makes very good potions/alcohol, basically like cowpuncher but more versatile.

As you say though, this is not a very hard game, speed + dynamite/stuns let you beat anything at any level.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think I value it a bit more because of the lassos, which saved me in the necromancer's tower, and the spammable AoE stun. That muscle debuff stuns all at rank 5.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Finished it a while ago and now I'm playing Kingdom of Loathing daily again.

The game got ridiculously easy ~mid-game, should have played with the hard hat. The WoL content in KoL certainly had deeper combat mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom