Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Lord Andre

Arcane
Has anyone successfully crafted something ?

Is there a point to hold off some points for metallurgy ?

Is there a point to hold off some points for nature lore ?

Is there a point to hold off some points for poison making skill (mephistics) ?

Any other craft skills I don't know about ?

Give me any kind of successful use of the workbench.

The only info I have is that for some powder/oil I got a journal item description that says mix with this other shit to create x. But I never had both ingredients.

ukdouble1

Educated
Alchemy works fine. I made abaut 20 cans, the cure of paralysis (cherry wine+cure light cond. if I remember it right), f.e. But the presence of a metalsmith in the team is very annoying. For this class I had to take the dwarf, he took the place of a berserk with a good race (dragon or two-legged crocodile), but can not craft anything. His only advantage is that he came with a good shield.

The game for the moment is hell for the perfectionist. If you want to have a better weapon, you take a metalsmith. You put 100 points into the craft. You find out that the blacksmith craft has not yet been delivered. You start with a new party. It turns out that the magicians do not need to invest their pounts in the skills of the magicians, the magic works without them. And at this moment it becomes uncomfortable. Perfectionist in horror.

Last edited:

Lord Andre

Arcane
Alchemy works fine. I made abaut 20 cans, the cure of paralysis (cherry wine+cure light cond. if I remember it right), f.e. But the presence of a metalsmith in the team is very annoying. For this class I had to take the dwarf, he took the place of a berserk with a good race (dragon or two-legged crocodile), but can not craft anything. His only advantage is that he came with a good shield.

The game for the moment is hell for the perfectionist. If you want to have a better weapon, you take a metalsmith. You put 100 points into the craft. You find out that the blacksmith craft has not yet been delivered. You start with a new party. It turns out that the magicians do not need to invest their pounts in the skills of the magicians, the magic works without them. And at this moment it becomes uncomfortable. Perfectionist in horror.

Thanks for the info.

I was under the impression though that Nature Lore makes pots and Alchemistry is the equivalent of Sorcery for Thaumaturges.

Regarding the magic skills (sorcery, necromancy, litany etc) - I was under the impression that it allows you to cast at higher power without fizzle. From my experience it 'kind of' seems to do that but only for offensive spells. The defensive ones no - I was able to cast armorplate at max reliably with low skill.

Anyone has any additional info on this ? Is investing points into magic skills a waste ?

Viata

Arcane
My metalsmith was useless. Had I change him to another Ranger or Berserker, it would be way better. Even the warrior had more utility in combat than him.

Lord Andre

Arcane
My metalsmith was useless. Had I change him to another Ranger or Berserker, it would be way better. Even the warrior had more utility in combat than him.

On my current playthrough I wanted a saurian berserker and a drake metalsmith but the latter was so hard to roll I just said fuck it and added a second saurian berserker... :smug:

ukdouble1

Educated
I was under the impression that it allows you to cast at higher power without fizzle. From my experience it 'kind of' seems to do that but only for offensive spells.
When my hybrid classes have begun to cast, I was surprised they had a very low magical skills, but casts always successful. Then I suggested that in magic skills there is a bug. In all normal mechanics, a skill is needed to learn the spell, its action is discrete, and there are no questions. Here is my alchemist (thaumaturge), and only he, sometimes fizzle spells, But it's his skill alchemy = 80. At the moment it seems to me that the failure of the spell occurs when an unsuccessful test of intelligence (but I do not have 100% confidence).
By the way, did anyone notice any changes in any prices when changing the "barter" skill? I changed it directly in front of the store, but the prices remained the same.
At the moment, I have a claim to the skills of all magical schools, the skill "music", "barter", "metalsmith" and "stealth" ("stealth" works, but for some reason does not grow, like "music"). In addition, I did not check the "nature lore", "ansient lore", "diplomaty" and "mephistics". Berserk under the skill "berserk" always beats party members (low skill, maybe). All other work OK.
In general, the game brings strange feelings. I have not been playing it for three days, because I understand that some of the mechanics do not work, but at the same time I feel like a drug addict who has been deprived of heroin.

Last edited:

osefmarcher

Literate
I made some tests, when casting high lvl spell or spell with high spell power, if you have a low skill in your casting skill (sorcery, thaumaturgy, etc), it will backfire at you.

ukdouble1

Educated
I made some tests
I have never seen a backfire (syperhero diff) when using a spellbook. Very rare - fizzle. Are you cast from spellbook, not from a scroll? How high was the intellect at the caster? Please tell us more about your tests. How did you get the caster with high lvl spells and low skill? Naturally or an editor-used? You tested a hybrid or pure magic class? What kind of spells at whtch school did you check? Its need to understand what works and what does not.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Some spells will backfire more often than others.

I have 75 INT spell caster with 55-60 in their casting skill that will 1/3 backfire a half-power fireball.

FULL POWER Acid Cloud as an example... never backfires.

iqzulk

Augur
Are there any other mana regen items, other than
Kraken controlling helmet (Mollusk Master)
?

Edit:
Received the answer in the general thread. Apparently, Golden Armor also has mana regen.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
So, uh, I picked up a Halcyonic Lyre.

I guess this is the true meaning of OP Bard

Cleve giveth, and Cleve taketh away

New patch reduced lyre damage from 1000 to 5, I guess it's now casting at power level 1 & he's jacked up resistances or something

Of course, now that it's useless, back to the paralysis lyre that still seems to work most of the time...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Soooo is there a way to
negate Shelach's regen
or should I just
keep hoping for a lucky fatal blow?
Git gud and defeat her with a critical blow in the first round,
followed by doing the same to the Pyschopomp.
:incline:

^ Halcyonic now casts Cone of Cold.

Doesn't change the fact that a thaumaturge still dishes 1000 damage out with Deep Freeze though.
If I refrain from patching, I can continue having my sage use the Halcyonic Lyre to cast as many as 3 Deep Freeze spells per round, without any mana cost. :M

Tigranes

Arcane
Shelach's Website, I has food, found the map, can't open gates to go down?

I've been surviving everything else but I sense this dude is going to fuck my party good

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Soooo is there a way to
negate Shelach's regen
or should I just
keep hoping for a lucky fatal blow?
Git gud and defeat her with a critical blow in the first round,
followed by doing the same to the Pyschopomp.
That's what I ended up doing to her,
to the psychopomp and to the kraken later on
. Feels cheesy, man :negative:

Lord Andre

Arcane
Lady Error

Hey, can you link again to that page photo that explains attributes from 20 years ago. I lost the link and your post in the other thread is lost among the latest drama.

In case it hasn't been mentioned here, I used a tube of evil-off on my back row and the Samhain horror whiffed every attack on the first round, letting me beat it with only 1 fatality (he still managed to get my sage second round somehow).

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
In case it hasn't been mentioned here, I used a tube of evil-off on my back row and the Samhain horror whiffed every attack on the first round, letting me beat it with only 1 fatality (he still managed to get my sage second round somehow).

My ranger critted him as the first action in the combat with Caliburnus :smug:

Although that was on the second try, the first ended in a TPK...

Lady Error or someone else who knows, I have a question. I just found in Caverns of Zandrithar a "Destroyer Vortex" spellbook, which is an arcana tome. I can scribe the spell if I try hard enough, but no new spell appears in my caster's spell list. What gives? Bug?

My ranger critted him as the first action in the combat with Caliburnus :smug:

Although that was on the second try, the first ended in a TPK...

Lady Error or someone else who knows, I have a question. I just found in Caverns of Zandrithar a "Destroyer Vortex" spellbook, which is an arcana tome. I can scribe the spell if I try hard enough, but no new spell appears in my caster's spell list. What gives? Bug?

Nice, I deep-freezed him on my second go. My first go I tried to use amulet astrixus and it did all of 18 damage to him before he fucked our shit up.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
How do you
get past the 3rd coil in Bahomet Megalith? I'm playing on an old version (muh saves)
. Also, is
the harp lady supposed to give you a tablet or summat after you kill the kraken?
I'm only missing Aurora and Gorgon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom