Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Recommend me some games for DS/3DS.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks for the recommendations, bros and gals, but in the end I've decided to sell the console in order to gather some potato to support the CRPG incline.
Anyway, I appreciate the effort. :salute:

Sell the console? How much could you expect for it? I wouldn't think it would be worth bothering. My 3DS cost me 70 bucks so I'm guessing you won't get much more than that. I bet you can find a lot more worthwhile gaming for it than what you'd get for it. If you really DO want to sell it, then you should get a r4 card for it anyway. Foo's will pay exponentially more for a Nintendo DS/3DS with a r4 card than without(often for a much higher value than if they bought them separately) and in the meantime you'd be able to see what the thing has to offer. Sure you can emulate it but it's not all that comfortable or fun squinting at a window and screwing around with a k/b.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sell the console? How much could you expect for it? I wouldn't think it would be worth bothering. My 3DS cost me 70 bucks so I'm guessing you won't get much more than that. I bet you can find a lot more worthwhile gaming for it than what you'd get for it. If you really DO want to sell it, then you should get a r4 card for it anyway. Foo's will pay exponentially more for a Nintendo DS/3DS with a r4 card than without(often for a much higher value than if they bought them separately) and in the meantime you'd be able to see what the thing has to offer. Sure you can emulate it but it's not all that comfortable or fun squinting at a window and screwing around with a k/b.
I paid around $95 for it and I think I can reasonably expect a similar amount when selling, but I'l be happy with around $75.
I won't have time to play it at home anyway (too many good pc games to play), and for mobile gaming I have my android phone with NES/SNES/GBA emulators, so I don't really need to carry an extra device around.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Hey, that Hoshigame thing is pretty cool tactics ogre clone and pretty challenging. Just restart the battle if a teammate dies because you'd have to train another from level 1. If i had a DS... and money... i 'd get it.

You have two hands....and legs.....you see where I'm going here?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I paid around $95 for it and I think I can reasonably expect a similar amount when selling, but I'l be happy with around $75.
I won't have time to play it at home anyway (too many good pc games to play), and for mobile gaming I have my android phone with NES/SNES/GBA emulators, so I don't really need to carry an extra device around.

Hmm, well I dunno, can't really get all that much potato value for it unless you use the money for steam sales; and android phone? Touchscreen gaming suxxors bro. I have a tablet myself but made sure to get it connected to a PS3 controller for such things. I do understand where you're coming from, since being in Romania for 6 years scratching out an existence means that any money saved is great. In the old country it's probably better but not much. I suppose that's why when I got back to Australia I went crazy on Ebay, buying up what I could to release all that frustration. Heh, now I now own every console in every iteration. The benefit of doing without for so many years is of course that now all these things are dirt cheap and hacked, with a slew of games for them even for a picky PC master race member as myself. Problem now is where to find the time to play all this.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Problem now is where to find the time to play all this.
Well, that about sums it all up. ;) I won't get enough game/$ from the NDS due to lack of time, so I may as well sell it to reclaim some potato, which I can then pour into Torment's Kickstarter (for example) to get a boxed copy instead of a digital download (for example).

That's why I now own every console in every iteration.
:eek:

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Someone translated ファイアーエムブレム新・紋章の謎 ~光と影の英雄~; I love that game. It's much superior to Fire Emblem: Awakening. You can find the translation by searching for New Mystery of Fire Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow. Highly recommended.

How is it superior?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The difficulty is much more balanced, there's a ton less of exploiting you can do, the missions are tightly designed and there's a whole lot less talking. It was clearly a game designed around one thing, and one thing only: cracking difficult missions one by one.

Awakening feels more like an introduction to the genre- complete with a giant slew of stuff to exploit to trivialize every aspect of the game.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
The difficulty is much more balanced, there's a ton less of exploiting you can do, the missions are tightly designed and there's a whole lot less talking. It was clearly a game designed around one thing, and one thing only: cracking difficult missions one by one.

Awakening feels more like an introduction to the genre- complete with a giant slew of stuff to exploit to trivialize every aspect of the game.

I want more talking though

The series is called Waifu wars for a reason

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
:necro:

Thanks for the recommendations, bros and gals, but in the end I've decided to sell the console in order to gather some potato to support the CRPG incline.
Anyway, I appreciate the effort. :salute:

You're gonna regret it.

In the end, I kind of do regret that decision, since I used the money to back Collector's Edition of Divinity:OS on kickstarter, and it was later sold in Poland for a fraction of the price (like $25 instead of $95).

Anyway, I am going on vacation next week and was thinking of picking up a New 2DS XL and a game or two to have something to play.
I have re-read all the recommendations already posted in the thread, but since they are four years old, maybe there are nowsome more games worth considering - I am mostly interested in JRPGs, but stuff like 3D Zeldas is also fine.

So, what is the current top 5 games for the 3DS line? I am interested only in the cream of the crop, since I will only be using the console for a limited time, so bloating my library would be pointless.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Fire Emblem Fates - Conquest is highly rated around here. Story seems to be the usual derp, however gameplay is sound and a return to classy FE.

Around September/October there will be the Metroid II 3DS remake and Etrian Odyssey V.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Fire Emblem Fates - Conquest is highly rated around here. Story seems to be the usual derp, however gameplay is sound and a return to classy FE.
How about Echoes? Is it better or worse?

Around September/October there will be the Metroid II 3DS remake and Etrian Odyssey V.
Is it better to play previous Etrian Odysseys first or is it like Final Fantasy, where every game has separate plot?

Vorark

Erudite
How about Echoes? Is it better or worse?

Echoes is a remake of FE Gaiden. I've heard good things about it, though some people mentioned map design is worse than Conquest. Keep in mind both are on my "to play list" so I'm going by what I've read around the internet.

Is it better to play previous Etrian Odysseys first or is it like Final Fantasy, where every game has separate plot?

Each game is standalone. It's a dungeon crawler series with good combat and usually a killer soundtrack. EO III (DS) and EO IV (3DS) have roguelike elements too, there's an overworld you fly around in order to gather resources or find new dungeons to explore. Meanwhile, in EO I, II and V it's one continuous labyrinth to explore. Note both I and II got 3DS remakes which added an optional story-mode, which means you can play it with set characters and a proper story.

I think there are demos available for all EO games on the Eshop.

Series goes like this:
DS - EO I, EO II and EO III
3DS- EO Untold (remake of I), EO II Untold (remake of II), EO IV and EO V.

Oh, other 3DS suggestions:

- Dragon Quest VII and VIII - Classic JRPGs, recommend both. VII is a remake of the PS1 game and VIII is a port of the PS2 version. If we get lucky, we might get the 3DS version of DQXI in 2018 too.

- Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse - It's a follow up to the story in SMT:IV but you can play it without prior knowledge of the previous title. According to what I've read, it does a good recap of the major events in IV.

- Pokemon Sun/Moon - Yeah, I know it's pokeyman. However, these entries are focused on story more than the previous ones. There are even cutscenes. I found it extremely boring but might be of interest.

Ventidius

Arbiter
As has been mentioned, the entire Etrian Odyssey and Fire Emblem rosters are worth it. Dark Spire and the superb FF4 remake have been mentioned too.

To that I might add the 7th Dragon series and Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. The latter was actually developed by Julian Gollop, and is a solid turn-based tactics game on its own right. The former are dungeon crawlers somewhat in the vein of Etrian Odyssey, but still distinct enough to warrant a playthrough, though the latest entry in the series, Code VFD, is more of what would happen if Final Fantasy and Etrian Odyssey had a baby, so try it if that sounds up your alley.

Also, Elminage Original recently got a NA 3DS release, and that one is a must as far as Japanese Crawlers go.

Also, Fire Emblem Awakening is not too bad, but the game outside of Lunatic mode plays more like a min-maxing-oriented Munchkin RPG than a tactics game proper, and it is a lot of fun when taken as such, considering the brilliant multiclassing system and possible builds. That said, the game in Lunatic + mode is up there in tacticool goodness and challenge with the best of the series, such as Thracia, Conquest Lunatic, and FF12 Lunatic Reverse.

Last edited:

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Also, Fire Emblem Awakening is not too bad, but the game outside of Lunatic mode plays more like a min-maxing-oriented Munchkin RPG than a tactics game proper, and it is a lot of fun when taken as such, considering the brilliant multiclassing system and possible builds. That said, the game in Lunatic + mode is up there in tacticool goodness and challenge with the best of the series, such as Thracia, Conquest Lunatic, and FF12 Lunatic Reverse.
Thank you for this, as any other person I've talked about FE:A to is presenting the game as some sort of a portable BioWare game, really emphasizing the marriage/kids angle of the game, and many people shitting on it vehemently because of how supposedly irrepresentative of the series it is. Now I can feel easier about renting it from a friend.

Right now I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked and it's absolutely godlike. It has a cool urban fantasy thing going on and one of the best companion-bros in video games (Atsuro). I've spent most of my playthrough (currently in Day 3, I'm taking my time) just browsing the Fusion system and playing around with all the mixes. I've spent a good amount of time farming, accumulating and XPing Tlalocs just to have a steady supply of Anti-Fire to brush up any monsters weak to Fire, and I normally am not into grinding at all; it just feels so satisfying to have a cool line-up that you've consciously chosen to improve in such-and-such way. It's like X-Com meets Pokemon and you don't even have to impose a challenge upon yourself to be challenged.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
4uHuBKx.jpg

Actually a surprisingly deep RPG with a great setting

Ventidius

Arbiter
Thank you for this, as any other person I've talked about FE:A to is presenting the game as some sort of a portable BioWare game, really emphasizing the marriage/kids angle of the game, and many people shitting on it vehemently because of how supposedly irrepresentative of the series it is. Now I can feel easier about renting it from a friend.

Right now I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked and it's absolutely godlike. It has a cool urban fantasy thing going on and one of the best companion-bros in video games (Atsuro). I've spent most of my playthrough (currently in Day 3, I'm taking my time) just browsing the Fusion system and playing around with all the mixes. I've spent a good amount of time farming, accumulating and XPing Tlalocs just to have a steady supply of Anti-Fire to brush up any monsters weak to Fire, and I normally am not into grinding at all; it just feels so satisfying to have a cool line-up that you've consciously chosen to improve in such-and-such way. It's like X-Com meets Pokemon and you don't even have to impose a challenge upon yourself to be challenged.

Word of warning though, the romances and anime tropes in FE:A are cringe-worthy, and it's not like that criticism can simply be brushed aside by saying it is optional, since one of the most fun min-maxing elements of the game(coming up with OP optimized children) is gated behind that aspect of the game.

But considering how much praise Conquest gets without being much better in that regard, I'd daresay people can look past that kind of thing and enjoy the game for the merits that I described so long as they understand it is not a conventional FE game outside of Lunatic mode. Whether it is a good introduction to newbies or not is debatable. If anything the game has the most complete all-in-one package of the series. You can start playing it in the easier modes where you can grind and min-max, get hooked and immersed, and then, once you understand the system, you can tackle Lunatic, which should put you up to speed with the hardcore tactical aspect of the series.

If you are able to stomach the game's presentation/writing, you are probably going to like it as much as any FE, and perhaps more since it is the most versatile experience in the series, successfully offering more than merely tactics, while also delivering that in spades (in Lunatic and +).

Also I haven't played SMT: DSO, but the min-maxing experience you described sounds a lot like what you'd get in FE:A, and so does the description X-Com meets Pokemon.

Last edited:

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Indeed, Overclocked has quite neat story and fantasy setting; unlike Record Breaker that is just over the top and sometimes moronic. Atsuro is a great bro, unlike Daichi (Desu 2), He doesn't need to go through the drama of character development to prove his worth.

Anyways, that's where mostly resides the charm of Desu games: in their streamlined Demon Fusion System and tactics gameplay-. A bit more simplistic than the traditional Megaten fusion system but It feels equally satisfying. I tend to optimize demon stats over elemental coverage by the way.

Although both stat enhancing and skill inheritance can be easily done through mitamas, summoning them via compendium is damn expensive without the max discounts bonuses, and generally you don't need to create OP demons for the first playthru. Thus right now the most efficient option is focusing over just skill inheritance by using cheap demons as fodder for chain fusion, like Tlaloc.

BTW If anyone's up for Pokémon games and don't want to wait up until Battle tower to actually face hard Poké battles, the challenge mode for Black and White 2 is worth playing.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Anyways, that's where mostly resides the charm of Desu games: in their streamlined Demon Fusion System and tactics gameplay-. A bit more simplistic than the traditional Megaten fusion system but It feels equally satisfying. I tend to optimize demon stats over elemental coverage by the way.

I've beaten Beldr (MC surrounded by healers with Ubelluris to give him constant Double Ups, about the only trouble is sometimes getting picked off by Basilisks Stone+/Evil Wave) and I'm curious about optimizing demon stats. Right now the queen seems to be my Yuki Jyorou with a whopping 26 Magic stat. I'm assuming she's getting outdated at this point, but I'd loathe to fuse her away yet, she's pretty crazy as it stands.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I've beaten Beldr (MC surrounded by healers with Ubelluris to give him constant Double Ups, about the only trouble is sometimes getting picked off by Basilisks Stone+/Evil Wave) and I'm curious about optimizing demon stats. Right now the queen seems to be my Yuki Jyorou with a whopping 26 Magic stat. I'm assuming she's getting outdated at this point, but I'd loathe to fuse her away yet, she's pretty crazy as it stands.

Beldr and the pesky Basilisks can be hard countered with curse immunities or resistances...

Stat optimization is pretty straightforward. For example, take a look at this demon:

hqdefault.jpg

The light blue bar shows how many bonus stat points the demon inherited after furion or earned after lvling up. The amount of bonus stat points a demon can inherit relies heavily on level, e. g. a lvl 40 demon inherits less points than a lvl 80 demon. Therefore, If your Yuki jyorou has 3 o 4 bonus points on her Ma stat, She is capable of pass some of them over to the outcome of her fusion with another demon. I don't know how to manipulate the process in order to guarantee the inheritance of desired points through regular fusion, but Mitama fusion allows it by relocating the bonus points inherited onto the desired stat. You can summon different types of Mitama by fusing two elementals, but you need to be above lvl 45 to have access to all Mitama fusion or to the Occult section of Auction system.

The damage dealt also relies on lvl difference, It means in the case of your Yuki Jyorou will inflict crappy damage to anything several levels above her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom