Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

eXalted

Arcane
Ah, thanks. Enemies drop so much junk (Pool of Radiance), I'm leaving almost everithing behind me. I have the feeling that I will be swimming in gold anyway.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ah, thanks. Enemies drop so much junk (Pool of Radiance), I'm leaving almost everithing behind me. I have the feeling that I will be swimming in gold anyway.

You have no idea. Pool of Radiance has a bug when it comes to calculating loot at the end of the game, and I ended up with 10648064 Gold Pieces and 61000 Jewelry. Sadly none of that carried over to Curse of the Azore Bonds. :argh:

I am playing Pools of Darkness (PoD) for the first time (thanks to GoG). I have a few questions for the experts here.

1. I completed Treasures of the Savage Frontier and would like to transfer some of the items over to my newly created PoD party. How do I do this? Which file(s) do I have to copy over and where do I put it? Instructions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I get the part of how to strip the characters of the items once they are addable. I don't get how I load or copy the characters over.

2. I read a lot about how hard this game can be and how the final battle can be a real bitch so I made sure to consult a walkthrough before creating my party from scratch. Here's what I did (followed the walkthough completely):

- human paladin
- human cleric who I immediately dual classed to fighter
- human magic user who I immediately dual classed to ranger
- human cleric
- human magic user
- human fighter who I immediately dual classed to thief

Would this party be able to win the game or do I need to do some more dual classing?

I am considering dual classing the cleric to MU after he reaches 16th level. This would give him access to the highest cleric spell level. Is there a need for a super high level cleric? I figure the paladin can handle the turning of high level undead if I never dual class him. Is this a good idea? Is there any other dual classing I should do?

3. Just wanted to recount a really weird bug I ran into. I was in the Hill Giant Steading area and all of a sudden a random encounter was taking a long time to load. It seemed like the game was frozen and I thought I would have to close the program. Eventually it said something about not being to find a certain file (think it was referring to a graphic) and then the battle started. I thought I was in the clear (bugs wise) until I saw I was faced with 30+ Gothmenes, who I recognized as one of the 4 bosses. I tried one spell (didn't work), one of my guys got insta-beheaded when the vorpal sword went snicker-snack and then I just set all of the characters to "quick" to get it over with so I could reload. Luckily this did not occur again and I have had no further problems.

Just thought of another question. I was reading CRPG Addict's articles on PoD and a commenter mentioned that there is a way to keep Vala in your party for the entire game. He said it was a trick that amounted to an exploit. Does anyone know how to do this? I'll take her everywhere if it will make torturous random encounters easier to bear.

eXalted

Arcane
I haven't played this game specifically but concerning Valla I found this on the FRUA forums:

Go to the Silver Blades cave and see Vala, but decline to have her join you. Then get the 4 items and go to the cave where the Vaasans are breaking in; Vala will join you. Decline to fight them, then go back to where they are trying to break in and decline again. You now have 2 Valas in the party. Leave the cave and one will leave, but you can have Vala all over the rest of the game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
2:
You need at least two mages to cast Delayed Blast Fireball. Also make sure they have Haste spells.
You don't need a thief for the final battle. In general there aren't many enemies to backstab in PoD.
Most effective characters are Ranger/Mages. They can use armour and cast spells. Also protective spells like Mirror Image and Fire Shield make a difference in the really hard fights. Fighter/Mages are also good if you can get some good Bracers (AC 4 or better) for them.

The final fights are hard, and the most important stat is Dex. You need high Dex to get initiative. Other stats are relatively irrelevant (except Int and Wis for Mages and Clerics respectively). Use the Enlarge spell to give your Fighter types 22-23 STR.

I haven't played this game specifically but concerning Valla I found this on the FRUA forums:

Go to the Silver Blades cave and see Vala, but decline to have her join you. Then get the 4 items and go to the cave where the Vaasans are breaking in; Vala will join you. Decline to fight them, then go back to where they are trying to break in and decline again. You now have 2 Valas in the party. Leave the cave and one will leave, but you can have Vala all over the rest of the game.

Wow, that's way too gamey even for me. I guess I'll have to slug it out without her.

Thanks for digging that up.

2:
You need at least two mages to cast Delayed Blast Fireball. Also make sure they have Haste spells.
You don't need a thief for the final battle. In general there aren't many enemies to backstab in PoD.
Most effective characters are Ranger/Mages. They can use armour and cast spells. Also protective spells like Mirror Image and Fire Shield make a difference in the really hard fights. Fighter/Mages are also good if you can get some good Bracers (AC 4 or better) for them.

The final fights are hard, and the most important stat is Dex. You need high Dex to get initiative. Other stats are relatively irrelevant (except Int and Wis for Mages and Clerics respectively). Use the Enlarge spell to give your Fighter types 22-23 STR.

Thanks for the reply.

What got me to worrying is that I read about the magical immunities of many of your enemies. My Mage/Ranger will be able to do all of those buffs and also cast DBFball (he started 14 level Mage, I dual classed him right away) but he won't be able to overcome the immunities. So now I feel like I will need 2 high level mages (27+). Is that about right or is one ultra high level, magical immunity ignoring mage enough?

The walkthrough I read said to go with a Mage 14/Ranger X but now I also think it may have been better to do it the opposite way (start him as a Ranger and then dual to Mage). Reading what you wrote, I can definitely see why the melee mages are so useful though. I was just thinking I needed them for the fireballs and didn't realize until now how effective it will be when they are wading in with Fire Shield and all of those other buffs.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
High level Mages to overcome MAR is useful mainly against Drow. In the final battles enemies either have no MAR or they are immune to magic.
So mages dualed from lvl 14 Rangers should be high enough level to be useful in the final battles. I had one single class Mage and one Ranger/Mage myself. I think one single class and one or more dual class is the right balance. Then you have ome mage which operates at full effect, and Fighter types that can buff themselves, and also cast support spells (Haste and spells not affected by level like Hold Monster) and damage spells in particularly hard fights.

I definitely recommend dualing from Fighter 13 or Ranger 14 15, both for the extra Hit Points, and also because the fighter types don't get much benefits after that, while every level a Mage gets bonuses.

Last edited:
High level Mages to overcome MAR is useful mainly against Drow. In the final battles enemies either have no MAR or they are immune to magic.
So mages dualed from lvl 14 Rangers should be high enough level to be useful in the final battles. I had one single class Mage and one Ranger/Mage myself. I think one single class and one or more dual class is the right balance. Then you have ome mage which operates at full effect, and Fighter types that can buff themselves, and also cast support spells (Haste and spells not affected by level like Hold Monster) and damage spells in particularly hard fights.

I definitely recommend dualing from Fighter 13 or Ranger 14, both for the extra Hit Points, and also because the fighter types don't get much benefits after that, while every level a Mage gets bonuses.

Yeah, I think I definitely should have made this one guy a Ranger 15/Mage 16+ instead of a Mage/Ranger. He's kind of low on HPs now and now he'll never get the higher mage levels to overcome magic resistance. I think overall the party will be fine though. I may dual class the cleric to mage once all of these other guys finally get their original abilities back.

BTW, I checked the manual and it says rangers get 2 attacks per round starting at level 15 so I'm sure you meant Rangers should be dualed after 15 levels. Paladins and fighters get 2 per round at level 13 so you're right on there.

kmonster

Augur

There's no need to decline Vala's joining offer and her presents. Simply leave the cave afterwards to let her disappear and reenter to get the same status.

If you both want to fight the final battle in this cave and still keep a Vala you have to remove one of your party members temporarily (you can add/remove party members when you load a save), so 3 Valas can join, one will leave at the battle, one when you exit the cave and one will stay with you.

kmonster

Augur
Yeah, I think I definitely should have made this one guy a Ranger 15/Mage 16+ instead of a Mage/Ranger. He's kind of low on HPs now and now he'll never get the higher mage levels to overcome magic resistance. I think overall the party will be fine though. I may dual class the cleric to mage once all of these other guys finally get their original abilities back.
Don't wait that long, definitely don't take more than 19 cleric levels else you might still in the dualing period at the final battle and even if you grind a lot a single mage level will still make a noteworthy difference while additional cleric levels won't.

Don't wait that long, definitely don't take more than 19 cleric levels else you might still in the dualing period at the final battle and even if you grind a lot a single mage level will still make a noteworthy difference while additional cleric levels won't.

He's 19th level now. I've been waiting for the other dual class guys to finally get their old abilities back. They still haven't. I didn't want to have to go with 0 clerics but I'll have to bite the bullet. Looks like I can just mess around in Zhentil Keep for a while until he's a high enough level mage and/or the Cleric/Fighter finally gets his Cleric powers back.

Is there a way to transfer my Treasures of Savage Frontier (TSF) characters to PoD directly or would I have to first transfer them to CotaB and/or SoSB?

I hate SoSB, never finished that one.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think there is. Try searching messages by Null Null.

You could try transfering the party from CoaB to PoD for the extra challenge...

Null Null

Arbiter
I am playing Pools of Darkness (PoD) for the first time (thanks to GoG). I have a few questions for the experts here.

1. I completed Treasures of the Savage Frontier and would like to transfer some of the items over to my newly created PoD party. How do I do this? Which file(s) do I have to copy over and where do I put it? Instructions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I get the part of how to strip the characters of the items once they are addable. I don't get how I load or copy the characters over.

2. I read a lot about how hard this game can be and how the final battle can be a real bitch so I made sure to consult a walkthrough before creating my party from scratch. Here's what I did (followed the walkthough completely):

- human paladin
- human cleric who I immediately dual classed to fighter
- human magic user who I immediately dual classed to ranger
- human cleric
- human magic user
- human fighter who I immediately dual classed to thief

Would this party be able to win the game or do I need to do some more dual classing?

I am considering dual classing the cleric to MU after he reaches 16th level. This would give him access to the highest cleric spell level. Is there a need for a super high level cleric? I figure the paladin can handle the turning of high level undead if I never dual class him. Is this a good idea? Is there any other dual classing I should do?

3. Just wanted to recount a really weird bug I ran into. I was in the Hill Giant Steading area and all of a sudden a random encounter was taking a long time to load. It seemed like the game was frozen and I thought I would have to close the program. Eventually it said something about not being to find a certain file (think it was referring to a graphic) and then the battle started. I thought I was in the clear (bugs wise) until I saw I was faced with 30+ Gothmenes, who I recognized as one of the 4 bosses. I tried one spell (didn't work), one of my guys got insta-beheaded when the vorpal sword went snicker-snack and then I just set all of the characters to "quick" to get it over with so I could reload. Luckily this did not occur again and I have had no further problems.

Speak of the devil...
1. Ah, my favorite easter egg/bug. This wasn't mine, BTW, got it from Ruhfuss.
Don't bother stripping the items, you'll get to keep some of them (though others will get weird text strings, dump those or wait and see if they work for you--the Farrberjik Boots give you Mirror Image). You remove the TSF characters from party and stick the files in the POD save directory. Then, because of the similarity in character format, you can add them as if they were characters from POD. This is totally unapproved and save your game often.

2. As other people have said, I'd dual someone to mage. To be honest this would be not my first choice of dual classing. The first rule of dual classing is you dual-class from a higher-HP to a lower-HP class, because (a) you keep your old HP when you change classes and (b) spellcasting classes, in particular the low-HP magic-user, keep improving at higher levels than non-spellcasting classes (fighters don't do anything new after level 17 when THAC0 maxes out but mages and clerics add spells until 29 and mages improve damage until 40). (the second rule of dual classing is YOU DO NOT TALK about dual classing...)
So I would go from fighter to cleric and ranger to mage.

3. I have heard of this bug but have not found a way to repeat or exploit it. So I'd just laugh and move on.

Luzur

Good Sir
logo.gif

box.png

"Pool of Radiance. Curse of the Azure Bonds. For some - mere titles of obsolete games. For others, sacred words, hallowed words, words never spoken without that tell-tale sigh of longing brought by years of insatiable, incurable nostalgia."

Matt Barton, Dungeons & Desktops

Introduction - A battle begins...
SSI's AD&D "Gold Box" games were released in 1988-1992 and set in the fantasy worlds of Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance. They were among the best of turn-based CRPGs and are still being played today.

games2.jpg

games1.jpg

Features
Gold Box Companion is a tool for all the Gold Box games plus Unlimited Adventures and the two SSI's Buck Rogers games. It offers automapping, easy-to-use journal entries and helps with some of the interface issues to make playing a little less tedious.

• HUD above DOSBox window with hit points, character icons, XP meters and effects. Shows good effects in green, bad in red. Also shows if a character is level drained.
  • Fix-command for Pool of Radiance. Works with the other games as well. Instantly heals the characters. Optionally also fixes level drained characters. Can not be used while in combat.
  • Temporarily change demihuman race to human to avoid experience level limits.
  • Optional level up without visiting training halls and without race-/game-related level limits.
  • Store the list of memorized spells and restore the spells with a single click. Can not be used while in combat.
  • Automap with party location. Notes can be added to the map.
  • World map view. Shows party location in some games.
  • Combat view. Shows character / monster locations. Shows if character/monster is held or helpless.
  • Journal entries.
  • Optional auto-identify of items.
  • Autodisable quickfight after combat. Some of the older games didn't disable quickfight between fights so you could enter a dangerous fight with quickfight on.
  • Character editor. Reads/modifies memory so it's instant compared to save file editors. Can not be used while in combat.
  • Teleporting. You can teleport to a chosen location on the map. You can also teleport on the world map in some of the games.
  • Save Game Editor also included. You can edit party composition (swap members in/out), edit inventories and effects. You can also copy full inventories from one save slot to another so you can use this to keep your items in Pools of Darkness where most magical items get destroyed when moving through the Limbo.
  • Some modding tools for changing the font and editing game data.
  • Lists saved games chronologically with a description of the location (map name).
  • Able to backup to latest save game with a description.
  • Playing paladin or ranger in Pool of Radiance. Can be exported to Curse of the Azure Bonds.
  • Very experimental monk class for Pool of Radiance. Can be exported to Curse of the Azure Bonds.

What's new in v2.32 (15-February-2017)
  • SETUP GOG button for quickly setting the game folders for GOG-installed Gold Box games.
  • When the GBC level up is used, character names are no longer colored as to able to level up in game. Note that you have to somehow refresh the DOSBox screen (going into a menu etc.) for the color to return to normal.
  • Party location arrow was previously drawn with the Wingdings font. On some Windows country/region settings the glyph could be wrong. The arrow is now drawn as a polygon.
  • Hopefully better indoors / world map identification.
What's new in v2.31 (30-January-2017)
  • Hopefully fixed a bug where the HUD and map windows were not shown on multi-monitor setups.
  • Setting for the HUD window to stay on top. Off by default.
  • Added a hack for paladins and rangers in Pool of Radiance to get fighter-levels during combat so that they get the sweep-ability. These levels are removed after combat.
What's new in v2.30 (18-December-2016)
  • Optional level up from the HUD. Also adds some modding options for the classes.
  • Encamp-fix optionally fixes level drain.
  • Optional auto-identify of items. Identified when put in a character's inventory. You still need to cast "detect magic" to detect magical items in loot.
  • Paladins and rangers in Pool of Radiance.
  • Monk in Pool of Radiance / Curse of the Azure Bonds. Very experimental...
  • XP tables as text files (can be opened from the search wizard and editor windows).

Requirements
  • Windows XP or newer. This might help if you use Linux (it's in german, Google translated).
  • DOSBox DOS-emulator to run old software on modern computers. If you use the GOG-versions, you don't need to install DOSBox.
  • Any fantasy-themed Gold Box game, Unlimited Adventures (with or without UAShell), Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday or Matrix Cubed. If you don't already have these, check out GOG.com for the Forgotten Realms and Krynn -games.

Downloads
Gold Box Companion
  • gbc.zip
    Gold Box Companion v2.32 (15-February-2017). This is meant to be used with the GOG-versions of the game but might work with others too but then you have to use vanilla/plain DOSBox 0.74. Unarchive the zip-archive into some folder and read GBC.txt inside. GBC.exe is the main Gold Box Companion program, double click on it to start. SGE.exe is the Save Game Editor. There are also some experimental modding tools included.
  • gbc201.zip
    Gold Box Companion v2.01 (16-October-2015). Older version that is not so picky about DOSBox version / game versions but lacks the effect display, combat view and world map view.
Saved games (You can download and use these even if no plan to use GBC.)
  • realms.zip
    Saves near ending and before key moments for Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness. Includes a save just before the Mulmaster Beholder Corps fight in CotAB and Gothmenes / Dave's challenge battles in PoD.
  • krynn.zip
    Saves near ending for all the Krynn-games.
  • krynn2.zip
    Big package of saves for all the Krynn-games.
  • frontier.zip
    Saves near ending for the two Savage Frontier-games.
  • gods.zip
    Hacked saves for Pools of Darkness. Party of 8 dual-classed characters with hacked equipment. Saves near Gothmenes and Dave's challenge.
Mods
Resources
  • formats.zip ... Description of character save file formats. List of all effects and items in the games.
Other
  • oystein_por.pdf ... Pool of Radiance walktrough by Oystein.
  • pools.pdf ... Pools of Darkness walktrough by Matt Haag.
  • dqkitems.zip ... Some hacked items for The Dark Queen of Krynn, by Redeye.
  • passwords.zip ... Excel-sheet of passwords for the games.
  • goldboxfont.zip ... Gold Box styled font.
  • phlan.png ... Maps of all Pool of Radiance's Phlan-locations fit together.
  • wilderness.png ... Maps of all Pool of Radiance's wilderness locations.
  • daxdump.zip ... DAXDump and ECLDump by Simeon Pilgrim. Can be used to decode the run-length encoding of the DAX files.
  • tlbutil2.zip ... TLButil2 by Itamar / Dan Autery. For extracting TLB-files (The Dark Queen of Krynn and FRUA).
  • unp411.zip ... If you want to hack old DOS game executables, you probably need to unpack them first with this utiliity.
  • hackdocs.zip ... File formats of many FRUA related files.

Screenshots
Some additional screenshots from modded games here and here. The modding tools are included in the GBC package.

GBC starts with a wizard to search for game/character data in the memory. You select a game, set the game folder, select the save slot then search. Saved games are listed chronologically and the map name is also shown.

screen01.jpg

HUD with combat icons and effects displayed. The bars are for Hit Points and XP. Map with autoexplore.

screen02.jpg

World map view in Pool of Radiance.

screen03.jpg

World map view in Dark Queen of Krynn.

screen04.jpg

Combat view. Stats and effects can be viewed by targeting a monster with the mouse.

screen05.jpg

A menu opens by moving the mouse over the HUD.

screen06.jpg

Level up dialog. Usable anywhere so you don't have to visit training halls. Ignores demihuman/game level limits.

screen14.jpg

Journal entries can be viewed through the menu.

screen07.jpg

Character editor. When in combat, monsters can also be edited.

screen08.jpg

Save game editor. You can backup saves, replace/add characters and edit inventory/effects. You can also copy full inventories from one save slot to another so you can use this to keep your items in Pools of Darkness where most magical items get destroyed when moving through the Limbo. You can even add monsters to your party (the combat icons do not show in the older games).

screen09.jpg

With the Monster Modder you can browse and edit monsters.

screen12.jpg

GBC supports Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed.

screen10.jpg

Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (and UAShell) is also supported.

screen11.jpg

Pool of Radiance modded with the font from Pools of Darkness. Paladins, rangers and monks can be played as hacked classes. In the character editor, level 1 fighters can be converted to paladins or rangers and level 1 thieves to monks. GBC needs to be used for level ups. Imported paladins and rangers can be trained in training halls in Curse but monks always have to use GBC to level up and can not be further exported to Secret.

screen13.jpg

Links
Buy the games
  • GOG.com ... The Forgotten Realms - games can be bought legally from Good Old Games (GOG.com).
  • GOG.com ... The Krynn - games can be bought legally from Good Old Games (GOG.com).
Abandonware downloads
Basic information
Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)
GameBanshee's Walkthroughs & FAQs
The-Spoiler's Walkthroughs & FAQs
Other Walkthroughs & FAQs
GameFAQs
Tools
Forum threads at FRUA & Dungeon Craft Community
Other forums
Blogs
Gold Box related blog posts at The Digital Antiquarian
YouTube videos
Longplays / Let's plays
Speedruns
Miscellaneous

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

Last edited by a moderator:
Speak of the devil...
1. Ah, my favorite easter egg/bug. This wasn't mine, BTW, got it from Ruhfuss.
Don't bother stripping the items, you'll get to keep some of them (though others will get weird text strings, dump those or wait and see if they work for you--the Farrberjik Boots give you Mirror Image). You remove the TSF characters from party and stick the files in the POD save directory. Then, because of the similarity in character format, you can add them as if they were characters from POD. This is totally unapproved and save your game often.

2. As other people have said, I'd dual someone to mage. To be honest this would be not my first choice of dual classing. The first rule of dual classing is you dual-class from a higher-HP to a lower-HP class, because (a) you keep your old HP when you change classes and (b) spellcasting classes, in particular the low-HP magic-user, keep improving at higher levels than non-spellcasting classes (fighters don't do anything new after level 17 when THAC0 maxes out but mages and clerics add spells until 29 and mages improve damage until 40). (the second rule of dual classing is YOU DO NOT TALK about dual classing...)
So I would go from fighter to cleric and ranger to mage.

3. I have heard of this bug but have not found a way to repeat or exploit it. So I'd just laugh and move on.

1. Thanks for this. I was able to bring my characters over from ToSF. I had already created characters in PoD so I just wanted the equipment from ToSF. I threw away all of the stuff where the names were gibberish, but it's nice to have the Belts and Helms. I've also got a bunch of wands which I carried all over the Savage Frontier and never used so now I can lug them around and never use them in PoD.

2. Yeah, it's too bad it's too late to start over on that guy. Would definitely do it the other way around if I could do it over again.

3. This bug happened to me again. I actually thought I was going to have to go back to an earlier save game and that it could even be a game breaking bug but it worked out. It happens for a random encounter in the Hill Giant Steading. The game takes a long time to load while saying "pic not available". Then a pic for an ogre encounter appears and you think you are in the clear. Then the combat starts and you are facing like 30 super powerful demons (Gothmenes).

I had saved the game and taken a couple steps down a hallway (only way to the exit) and it happened. I tried to see if I could use the terrain to get a cheap win and possibly even benefit. I had read that if a combat goes something like 25 rounds that you are automatically declared the winner. I ran down the hall and into another room but it didn't work. The AI is smart enough to ignore stinking cloud and the demons just ran me down. So I went back to the save game and hasted all of my players before moving. The bug happened again, in the same hallway I was forced to walk down. I ran one of my guys to the edge of the screen and it gave me that bullshit message that I was blocked from fleeing or whatever. You know, that totally random one that happens sometimes but not others when you try and step off the map. And I got mowed down again. Now I was worried I would never get out of that hallway but the next time I reloaded the bug didn't happen and it hasn't happened since.

Null Null

Arbiter
One thing vastly underappreciated by most people is the use of Animate Dead in Pool of Radiance.

In addition to working as a semi-resurrection spell (animated characters will fight but not cast spells, and can 'trade' items away so it may be preferable to kill NPCs and animate them), the spell will reanimate large numbers of dead humanoid enemies and set them to working for you. It's really kind of fun.

GreyfeatherTX

Barely Literate
I'm using the latest version of "Gold Box Companion" with the GOG versions of the games and I've noticed from watching YouTube let's plays (Blueakylo) that older versions of the GBC would not only show your map notes but also show a legend that went along with the numbers on the map....now it only shows the notes when you mouse over the number, which is terrible because I'm constantly having to alt-tab to uncapture the mouse....
Any suggestions or where I can get the older version that supported map notes AND the legend feature? (the v201 that is on the site doesn't have map note functionality)

btbgfel

Scholar
I'm using the latest version of "Gold Box Companion" with the GOG versions of the games and I've noticed from watching YouTube let's plays (Blueakylo) that older versions of the GBC would not only show your map notes but also show a legend that went along with the numbers on the map....now it only shows the notes when you mouse over the number, which is terrible because I'm constantly having to alt-tab to uncapture the mouse....
Any suggestions or where I can get the older version that supported map notes AND the legend feature? (the v201 that is on the site doesn't have map note functionality)
Try to right click on the map?
Gold Box Companion map fuction not very reliable in modules of FRUA though. It often failed to open geo??.dat (map files?) upon changing to new maps.

I'm afraid I can't help you with legacy versions of GBC, but I can drop you a helpful hint on the ALT-TABing. Go to the game directory and locate the dosbox_whateverthegametitleis_.conf file (not the dosbox_blahblahblah_single.conf) and change "autolock=true" to "autolock=false" to disable that pesky thing. It's useful when running GBC or just taking notes in Notepad/Wordpad/whatever in older titles.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Has anyone worked out a way of running the GBC in Linux? I managed to get it to recognize Champions of Krynn when both it and the game were ran in Wine, but the behaviour was so inconsistent (sometimes I couldn't get back in the game) I stopped trying. Anyone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom