Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Agent of Mayhem, open world action game by Saints Row dev

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Looks like a flop of the year so far, sells 10x times worse than SR4 and 3x times worse than Gat out of Hell.
But,but it is progressive,this surely sells.

orcinator

Liturgist
Watched a stream and the only thing the dude did was to shoot on the same braindead worthless enemies for hours and grind for XP, on SR 3 there was some resemblance of challenge at least with tons of different enemy types that made you sweat a little. Seoul is a strangely inclusive city where only 1/10 of the population is made of south koreans and the arts style just sucks with non descript generic futuristic buildings everywhere that could fit on any futuristic game ever made.

Does the game even have Kpop?

Vorark

Erudite
Thought it was a Saints Row spin-off, like Gat out of Hell. Same style, color scheme.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never played SR 4 because the whole 'super powers' thing was a turn off. You take the fun out of GTA-clones when you render the player nigh invincible.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Never played SR 4 because the whole 'super powers' thing was a turn off. You take the fun out of GTA-clones when you render the player nigh invincible.
Yes, SR 2 and 3 were enjoyable because they were somewhat challenging, this gone out of the window with SR 4 and this game is just completely devoid of challenge and when I mean completely devoid of challenge is that enemies can't even hit you.

hellbent

Augur
Played SR2 and 3 for a long while, great time waster games. I did play SR4 for a bit but was not as fun as previous titles and I never finished it. Much more about grinding, unlocking and "achievements" than challenge. Super powers were fun at the beginning but quickly become OP. High point in my playtime of SR4 was the questline that was a homage to "They Live" complete with Roddy Piper and Keith David voice work.

Will prolly still play AoM for explosions and such but at a steep discount, which it appears will be coming sooner rather than later based upon the anemic sales figures.

hellbent

Augur
Played for 90 minutes, performance is garbage with a lot of freezes in open world and while driving. I'm digging the combat loop so far but framerate tanks so hard it's difficult to enjoy it atm.

Sounds like a typically lazy console port. SR2 on PC shipped with several huge performance bugs due to it being a direct port from the 360. Looks like I'll be waiting for discount and patches.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just finished the game, took 28 hours and it's pretty... fun. About my previous comment on performance, I turned off all reflections options and HBAO and the game runs fine (probably becuz I'm using AMD graphics card), not optimal but at least it's playable now.

Anyway, I think this game has the best overall gunplay in the entire Saints Row series. To be honest I'm not really fond of SR3's primitive and basic gunplay. Gameplay in AoM really shines when you mix up different agents and synergize them how you want. There are a lot of passive skills, gadgets and status effects that support this synergy playstyle, for example one agent called Oni has a silenced pistol and his skill is a single hit shot that apply Panic status on every kind of enemy even if they have shield or armor, so it's really effective if you're fighting 1v1 against some mini boss and you already have another agent that has more reliable dps as his pistol doesn't hold a lot of bullet each mag. Pierce Washington (Kingpin in this game) has an upgrade tree that allows him to deal more damage against debuffed enemies, Schahadzrzeare or whatever her name is has an alternative gadget (each agent has up to 3 gadgets that change how their ability work) that basically throw a blackhole ninja blade that suck every enemy nearby into it which is a really useful set up tool.

There are 4 upgrade trees for every agent, one is a team bonus (bonus XP/money, health/armor regen, mayhem ability duration or some shit like that), the other three does different things that varies through each agent, they give standard flat percentage bonus. Passive skills and gadget let you build agents a bit more flexible, for example with Daisy, you can build her gunner mode with skills that reduces minigun spread, increase maximum weapon heat, and a special gadget called slow burn also makes minigun accrues less heat when shooting, all of them will allow you to shoot much longer. However you can also build Daisy half-skater mode by getting the special gadget that gives fortify and haste status while skating and wildfire passive that gives enpower status as minigun gains full heat so your melee attack will deal more damage. Another agent called Braddock can specializes in either dealing area of effect damage or armor penetration with her vulnerability inflicting gadget, she can also sees and shoot through wall with the third gadget. Oleg can be devastating alone but he can also be a really good set up agent with the Q ability that can deal immobilize status (fancy name for temporary stun). I'm not smart enough to explore all possible ability combinations so I'm just sticking to Gat's shotgun (which is actually a mid range sniper that deals 8k crit damage) at the moment. The gunplay itself feels really crunchy and satisfying, a far cry from the plastic peashooters crap in Saints Row The Third, hitting headshots with Rama's bow beats every weapon in any other Saints Row game. There are GREMLIN tech aka consumables, ranging from dropping exploding doves to the ground, lightning strike, big metal ball rolling to where you're facing at (really useful against turrets) to turning nearby civilians into dynamite, I mean who gives a fuck about civilians in open world anyway.

The story is run in the mild, nothing to write about aside from one or two interesting villains (watching Doomfist getting married with a digitalized k-pop singer that has 5 persona or some shit is weird but whatever). The humor is really hit or miss, some fun banters here and there, ranging from Pierce asking fashion advice from Joule to Oleg having problem about intimation with women because of his frozen penis. The game itself looks good, Seoul has this interesting clean futuristic style with several notable landmarks but I'm disappointed that once again Volition turned their open world into standard driving sections and just stopped right there. Mission structure is pretty much go here, kill these dudes, hack this terminal, go to this room, go to that room, go to that guy's mom's vagina and kill even more dudes, I actually don't mind that since the combat loop is really fun. One thing that really pisses me off is there are a lot of missions that force you to go into procedural LEGION lair that has a really boring aethestic, and I feel like I can count the number of room's layouts on both my hands because they felt so damn repetitive and samey. It doesn't really help that there are a lot of missions (both in main campaign, on global map and in personal agent operations) that makes you go into these lairs. Sometimes you can find hidden room and they pack a lot of loot chests so at least it's not entirely terribad.

There are like fucking 15 difficulty levels that automatically scale based on the level of your set of 3, pretty cool feature IMO. The final difficulty is really hard even for maxed out super agents because the game would occasionally throw some fuckbots that delete your shield in one or two hits, some even can track invisible agents with their laser.

It's not the kind of game that I'd recommend instantly, but for anybody interesting in trying it, you should know that AoM is really combat centric, and I think the level of your enjoyment will be decided on how much you enjoy the combat system. I personally like it a lot so I got my money worth.

TL;DR: great combat, a lot of variety in agents combinations, shit open world that actually looks pretty, humor is 50/50, story is meh and repetitive mission structure. Only recommend if you're into the combat.

Watched a stream and the only thing the dude did was to shoot on the same braindead worthless enemies for hours and grind for XP, on SR 3 there was some resemblance of challenge at least with tons of different enemy types that made you sweat a little. Seoul is a strangely inclusive city where only 1/10 of the population is made of south koreans and the arts style just sucks with non descript generic futuristic buildings everywhere that could fit on any futuristic game ever made.

Does the game even have Kpop?
It does but you kinda have to concentrate enough to notice it. The soundtrack overall is really hard to notice which is a shame because I like Malcolm Kirby Jr.'s works on Saints Row The Third, IV and LawBreakers.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom