Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Getting NWN to run in Raedon RX470 with win 7 x64

So NWn (GoG) version doesnt run in my win 7 x64 machine with RX470. I tried installing old drivers/ extracting the old driver dlls and stuff; but still it doesn't work.

Any way to run NWN on a 64 bit windows machine with raedon rx470? Virtual machine?

here is the Error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: nwmain.exe
Application Version: 1.6.9.0
Application Timestamp: 486cfadc
Fault Module Name: atigktxx.dll
Fault Module Version: 21.19.519.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 589dc0e9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00012197
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: f239
Additional Information 2: f239b800942226fe03157817d515cf1d
Additional Information 3: e2fd
Additional Information 4: e2fdb7073e4eba50d88db756a8748660

Last edited:

Epsilon

Cipher
I have to be that guy and say. That gpu would work great with the open source drivers on Linux. Neverwinter nights works great on WINE, on Linux too.

hellbent

Augur
So NWn (GoG) version doesnt run in my win 7 x64 machine with RX470. I tried installing old drivers/ extracting the old driver dlls and stuff; but still it doesn't work.

Any way to run NWN on a 64 bit windows machine with raedon rx470? Virtual machine?

If you have CCC installed along with the drivers, you may want to try re-installing without CCC, as the recent versions of CCC has caused some problems on a few ATI systems I've worked with lately.

Does it just not run at all, or crash with an error message? NWN is one of the most stable old RPGs you'll find, typically. If it's not starting at all, there might be an issue or potential corruption with the installer package you downloaded from GOG.

McPlusle

Savant
Did you download the critical rebuild patch? I don't think it comes with the GOG installer.

If you have CCC installed along with the drivers, you may want to try re-installing without CCC, as the recent versions of CCC has caused some problems on a few ATI systems I've worked with lately.

Does it just not run at all, or crash with an error message? NWN is one of the most stable old RPGs you'll find, typically. If it's not starting at all, there might be an issue or potential corruption with the installer package you downloaded from GOG.
Doesn't run and an error message pops up. added the error in the opening post

Last edited:

hellbent

Augur
Hmmm, it sounds a lot like a CCC message I've seen where it says the driver version is incompatible with Catalyst Control Center. Likely an uninstall plus Driver Sweeper in safe mode, then reinstall without CCC should fix if so.

SOLVED

For those curious; tried some arbit shit.
End process for CCC and AMD external events handler
Disabled sound, enabled hardware cursor, disabled mouse trails. used 16 meg texture (compatibility) mode from the configure tool.
used atiglktxx.dll, atiglpxx.dll and atioglxx.dll of 11.9 driver version (just put in install folder)
started nwn; got some new error.
deleted the above three dlls and started nwn again... working!

So now i can play a game with shit RTwP combat with extremely low res textures, no sound and shit story (OC)

Still infinitely better than Mass Effect Andromeda.

:dealwithit:

Citizen

You have a gog version, so just stop playing OC and play kingmaker or hordes instead.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I was gonna give you my .ini I am using r9 290 and can run it max everything no comparability issue. Let me know if you need it anyway. +1 for checking the blog in the post above mine there are UI mods that make NWN 1 look like a brand new game made for UHD screens looks really good.

I was gonna give you my .ini I am using r9 290 and can run it max everything no comparability issue. Let me know if you need it anyway. +1 for checking the blog in the post above mine there are UI mods that make NWN 1 look like a brand new game made for UHD screens looks really good.
Your .ini would be much appreciated. As of now, NWN runs... but it is far from optimal.
PM (or upload in mediafire/google drive) your .ini please

racofer

Thread Incliner
You will never get NWN to run optimally with an AMD card, sorry. I've been there.

Throw any nvidia card from ~10 years ago up to today, and NWN will run perfectly.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Your .ini would be much appreciated. As of now, NWN runs... but it is far from optimal.
PM (or upload in mediafire/google drive) your .ini please

Here is the stuff and Ini in pastebin. Copy what you need, I prefer to skip intro films.
5qqfmz.jpg

6fQ3y4.jpg

(https://pastebin.com/MUxa1AJ1) NWN.ini
(https://pastebin.com/dCKhx5zC) nwnconfig.ini

Let me know how you go with this.

hell bovine

Arcane
I second Nerevar's advice. I couldn't get nwn to work until I did the following (on a fresh install): install critical rebuild patch from nwn vault, set the win compability mode and disabled both visual themes and desktop composition.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
It is not entirely clear, as some people have experienced issues with the GOG version that were fixed by applying the critical rebuild, while others have run an un-rebuilt version apparently without difficulties, but it would probably be best to apply the critical rebuild to be safe.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
You will never get NWN to run optimally with an AMD card, sorry. I've been there.

Throw any nvidia card from ~10 years ago up to today, and NWN will run perfectly.

The first time I played Neverwinter Nights with a framerate higher than 15 FPS many years ago was with an ATI 9800 Pro card. So this is the very essence of a shit post by a shitposting Nvidia fanboy richly deserving its 3 shit ratings. I think I was even getting 60 FPS back then.

I do have an Nvidia card now though, and have had Nvidia for my last three cards but that's nether here nor there.

I installed quite a few mods from Lilura 's blog. The blog is awesome by the way.

There is one PRC which adds TONS of base and prestige classes to nwn.

While it seems to work fine in the modules I have enabled it, why cannot i select some of the base classes (like psion for example) with no prerequisites while character creation.
Used the console and tested that lvl 2 onwards all of the added base classes can be selected.

Is something wrong with the way I installed the mod?

Is there a workaround or fix for it ?

Or is it limitation of the PRC mod ?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
GoG 1.69 seems to be incomplete. People have compared 1.69 GoG install with 1.69 CR GoG and listed the differences. For some people, applying 1.69 CR has also got a few mods going that didn't work with base GoG. YMMV, but, from my experience, applying 1.69 CR to GoG does no harm.

I didn't have any luck getting the latest version of PRC going glitch-free. I think you may need to tweak it after auto-installing, or do a manual install. There are instructions on how to do that floating around, but I didn't bother jumping through hoops because I'm not all that interested in its additions, which most modules aren't balanced for, anyway.

Glad you like my blog. I've given it a bit of a make-over to make navigation a lil' easier.

Apparently, you need a java based character creator to get the additional base classes in PRC at level 1.

Hope the psionics implemented works without any crippling bugs, eh. Hermaphrodite Illthid Psion is coming to wreck shit in the Underdark.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Years ago I infused the official modules with the original, standalone Psionics, just for shits n gigs. It was OP, but pretty fun for a while.

Can't get the java based Character Creator to work, damn it. Even after changing the settings as instructed, it gives an error potraits.2da not found. after placing potraits.2da into override folder, it gives error "your data files may be corrupted"

Guess I am stuck with a half-elf fighter 1 / psion x.

Also after installing the critical rebuild patch and the 1.71 community patch, disabling realtek audio manager, CCC, AMD external events; nwn runs very nicely at 1080p with sound :D
Add in some GUI mods and good to go (except no hermaphrodite illthid psion :( )

Being the OCD aspie i am, I figured out how to get PRC base classes from lv1 and the prc races

Create a regular race regular class (say half-elf fighter)
Add 1000 xp and take a level in your desired class and export the character. lets say Warlock.

Use Leto v1.69 for PRC and open the exported character file from the localvault folder in NWN. ( the .sav files in save folder cannot be saved with the latest prc version using Leto; always gives some -1 out of bounds error)

Change your Race, appearance, portrait etc. remove the initial 1 level (in our case fighter). Note: This also removes ALL the feats (racial feats, prc functionality feats, all proficiency feats etc.)
So if the PrC base class (Warlock) in our case give proficiency feats, you need to add them manually.
Add all the racial feats and PrC functionality feats along with whatever feat you want to select at lv1.
Adjust the skill levels.

Save using Leto in the localvault folder of nwn.

Import your character.

Profit.

In case you are starting some module with higher level ranges jsut import the character into some module like halls of advanced training deluxe edition to levelup/equip;/ add gold as appropriate; export this version and play.

So my Hermaphrodite Illthid Pure Psion is ready to rock the underdark.

Only thing is adding all the racial and PrC functionality feats one by one is a bitch.

The game is stupidly easy as a Psion though...

Last edited:
I just tried a Dragonfire Adept, and damn its more cheezy than a psion. A Psion is still constrained by PP pool. OTOH A dragon fire adept gets at will breath weapon. Depending on the breath mods you select, you can have a per turn AoE nuke with elements like acid, sonic and force to decimate the encounters lol.

Still since nwn combat is RTwP trash, i recommend a Rakshaysa Dragonfire adept to breeze through the horrible combat. Basically Eldritch blast on steroids.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom