Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Shams made an interesting find from over 20 years ago:

1OrScBCIju0Nd_bF4nFdFD4l1GWQrCDd73djjVTunNssFhm4XMtzkpNKeXUvY9d72mI-9eF1nTpIntfFXxolWRrC9SlQ7hSey3XwEK3-WOvSEMHerqJRu4vV3jk18oR5aAraC7ghBT-8lvEdfj3uQs6cRX85gCB-KoXbyymjp3jNFKMpRyuahvF3e9dUhYJoJV8MOT0n9AQhuYuRdfBMH6AwFabCwbum8Osff8VQ-JvYj9hQJtuZTp-J_0coaqBgAy8QpaL1b19p0jETPkWdSh0aMubApJKLBagjss-epKofN9F6YqfgmGqnMEWPEVuqwPBD6iJIeIeo2AporMhwr2IH4lOujrITepACnNzZvEzzvXvxpYvj4ZwSP-zaFdop-BjDVlghCf21ftuMq1itxgYuYuxCcKx6Idi2BEXeMAEbRGcnNr7h-POprWKiY7haBVwakpVAWshok6z8j2VILSq_xqVAFNzB4K4LF6ZIITnxBA-UnBPHWPM3Ij2A10RW4tjUWWuXTZF75pyLmEzOgkPq5_kg_Kw9UvBP_uLePiBuHxopNXfQTovqjVusePa778q7YSAySHVQkCoH3royliOMHbkccRgsXxVX2zO_n6JBEGCchXVBeb9kFAEw0Ce_oodHCSnbv30r2TqsVFnf1KDovW4Bf5ZAuefxfe5FqX7dS5M=w524-h698-no

owl.jpg

Shams
iconGames.png
14 minutes ago
Lost Tome of Grimoire - Found!

Check this out:
https : // goo.gl / photos / GJXdaCBsfZFqch9bA
(hope everyone can see the shared link - Steam keeps removing it)

140+ pages

Never read it, it probably includes everything that ever happens in Grimoire. Would also make for a great manual (well, parts of it).

Had it for ... maybe 15-20 years?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/2579854400738562930/

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES

[developer] 3 hours ago
Originally posted by cANe:
I'd wait if I were you. So much things seems to lack balance and polish and it just becomes even more apparent when you leave the first area ( samhain).

A lot of areas just feels super bland and unrewarding, like you just turn on auto-pilot since everything feels the same.

Originally posted by Lady Error:
The couple forest maps you go through after Samhain are indeed not as interesting, but then you get to A LOT of interesting locations.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES:
Even I knew the forest areas are just sort of there to transition to other regions.

Some of these regions are as complex or more complex than the Avian mountains. Some of them are extremely complex. Waterport alone has about fifty different things happening at once. I enjoy playing these areas because the narrative runs throughout these regions as well.

What do you mean "even I knew" - didn't you develop the game? :roll:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES

[developer] 3 hours ago
Originally posted by cANe:
I'd wait if I were you. So much things seems to lack balance and polish and it just becomes even more apparent when you leave the first area ( samhain).

A lot of areas just feels super bland and unrewarding, like you just turn on auto-pilot since everything feels the same.

Originally posted by Lady Error:
The couple forest maps you go through after Samhain are indeed not as interesting, but then you get to A LOT of interesting locations.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES:
Even I knew the forest areas are just sort of there to transition to other regions.

Some of these regions are as complex or more complex than the Avian mountains. Some of them are extremely complex. Waterport alone has about fifty different things happening at once. I enjoy playing these areas because the narrative runs throughout these regions as well.

What do you mean "even I knew" - didn't you develop the game? :roll:

Looks like somebody's going to have to ground their son now! How does it keep happening?

Weasel
Cleveland Mark Blakemore , now you're flush with Grimoire sales cash... only $15k
TrumpBestDeal.png

https://www.offgridbox.com/product-1/
The OffGridBox container can supply 16 kilowatt-hours of clean solar energy each day, plus 24,000 liters of filtered and sterilized drinking water, to remote locations, which is said to be enough to provide for a village of about 300 people. It’s fully self-contained in a 6-foot cube, and includes an inverter, a 5.5 kWh LiFePO battery bank, a 4 kW solar array, water collection and 1500 liter storage system, and a water filtration system that uses filters and UV sterilization to produce up to 1000 liters per hour. The units are designed for use as a rural electrification system, for disaster relief, for off-grid living, or as a backup or alternative system for grid-tied properties, and are said to be able to be “installed and maintained by untrained workers with a basic set of tools.”

The units are modular, so capacity can be ramped up by adding more units to the installation, and additional options are available, including a larger solar array, a bigger battery bank, WiFi capability, a desalination unit, a drip irrigation unit, a ‘pay as you go’ battery swap feature, a wind turbine, remote monitoring, and an integrated heat pump.

Version 1.2.0.25
----------------------------------------
*Improved Identify on Bone Dagger fixed (and all other similar items)
*Animation handle assert for validity removed (Crashing in Necropolix when turning statue)
*Adjustments to interval check on wandering monsters
*Chucker collection for items thrown in combat fixes
*Numerous NPCs set to AutoActive after first encounter to assure further meetings
*Q'Orl Fountain bug fix in Bestiary Underground, wrong CGX key was set
*Bookcase blocking access to some rooms on the lower berth of the Snark removed
*Gaol Key for Axis Gaol got one additional charge to open all gates in Axis Gaol
*Unnamed character crashes character library
*Halcyonic Lyre now casts "Cone of Cold" instead of "Deep Freeze"
*Retargeting of spells during combat when switching from party to monsters

Still trying to reproduce retreat bug reported by one user for Black Lich battle ...

Many other small fixes to items, monsters and NPCs requested by users

Most bugs are to address issues directly interfering with game play, not balance yet

Seems like a good batch of fixes. I'm going to fire it up to see how the encounter frequencies feel.

bataille

Arcane
So it's official. The Entity is Cooper is The Developer of Grimoire. Cleve is merely a father of a prodigious child that's been reviving the genre of dungeon crawlers since he was born.

mondblut

Arcane
... and one of the ones that does something (lethal blow), procs so often it trivialises everything :(

Why do you hate fun?

Now that I think of it, it's probably a good thing that the metalsmith is broken working as intended, almost never procs. Having 3 guys with 100 in lethal blow would be even sillier than having 2 guys with 100. :(

I have 6 guys with 100 in lethal blow. It was worth restarting after playing 40% of the game with just 3 of those. The sheer thrill of it!

mondblut

Arcane
Shams made an interesting find from over 20 years ago:

1OrScBCIju0Nd_bF4nFdFD4l1GWQrCDd73djjVTunNssFhm4XMtzkpNKeXUvY9d72mI-9eF1nTpIntfFXxolWRrC9SlQ7hSey3XwEK3-WOvSEMHerqJRu4vV3jk18oR5aAraC7ghBT-8lvEdfj3uQs6cRX85gCB-KoXbyymjp3jNFKMpRyuahvF3e9dUhYJoJV8MOT0n9AQhuYuRdfBMH6AwFabCwbum8Osff8VQ-JvYj9hQJtuZTp-J_0coaqBgAy8QpaL1b19p0jETPkWdSh0aMubApJKLBagjss-epKofN9F6YqfgmGqnMEWPEVuqwPBD6iJIeIeo2AporMhwr2IH4lOujrITepACnNzZvEzzvXvxpYvj4ZwSP-zaFdop-BjDVlghCf21ftuMq1itxgYuYuxCcKx6Idi2BEXeMAEbRGcnNr7h-POprWKiY7haBVwakpVAWshok6z8j2VILSq_xqVAFNzB4K4LF6ZIITnxBA-UnBPHWPM3Ij2A10RW4tjUWWuXTZF75pyLmEzOgkPq5_kg_Kw9UvBP_uLePiBuHxopNXfQTovqjVusePa778q7YSAySHVQkCoH3royliOMHbkccRgsXxVX2zO_n6JBEGCchXVBeb9kFAEw0Ce_oodHCSnbv30r2TqsVFnf1KDovW4Bf5ZAuefxfe5FqX7dS5M=w524-h698-no

owl.jpg

Shams
iconGames.png
14 minutes ago
Lost Tome of Grimoire - Found!

Check this out:
https : // goo.gl / photos / GJXdaCBsfZFqch9bA
(hope everyone can see the shared link - Steam keeps removing it)

140+ pages

Never read it, it probably includes everything that ever happens in Grimoire. Would also make for a great manual (well, parts of it).

Had it for ... maybe 15-20 years?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/2579854400738562930/

But... where are the other 138+ pages? :/

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I'd say without the release and all the feedback coming in Cleve would never fix and polish the game the way he imagines. He'd be stuck in the microissues stage forever. In a game this vast feedback from dozens or hundreds of players is indispensable. Look at all the giants like EA or Ubisoft with armies of QA desk jockeys, even them keep patching and rebalancing their games after release as soon as customer feedback starts rolling in.

He should've released the game way sooner, in a beta regime or some such.

Weasel
I'd say without the release and all the feedback coming in Cleve would never fix and polish the game the way he imagines. He'd be stuck in the microissues stage forever. In a game this vast feedback from dozens or hundreds of players is indispensable. Look at all the giants like EA or Ubisoft with armies of QA desk jockeys, even them keep patching and rebalancing their games after release as soon as customer feedback starts rolling in.

He should've released the game way sooner, in a beta regime or some such.

Agreed, most of us were calling for him to get the game out there for exactly that reason. Now he can tinker, balance, refine and polish it for years to come but at least it's out there, rather than being stuck on one person's machine while new versions of Windows come and go :salute:

Rick

Erudite
I anxiously await the combat balance fixes (and the manual).

Made a "mondblut" special; 6 Melee, Bard, Sage.

First few fights in prison (assumed to be "set" fights since I had random set on Never) ...

Several encounters against 3-6 Worms, no sweat at all. A few against one or two Rats. Once again, no sweat. Easy as pie. Too easy, really, as very few of these critters ever got a chance to do anything before death embraced them.

Then: 3 ?BUGS?; 1st warrior died in one hit, 2nd warrior died in one hit and no one - absolutely no one - was able to penetrate in 3 rounds. Not one. Only success was the Bard sleeping one per round.

Not saying combat is broken (easy enough to just reload), but a random (?) encounter against unbeatable foes isn't what I'd call balanced.

mondblut

Arcane
When I asked Junga Dinn "How did you get here," I got a proper explanation for why he was there along with information about a certain artifact in his possession.

Damn, missed that.

"where are you from" and "why are you here" also seem to produce results.

Funny, if you ask Qorl about Astral Plane or Royal Bestiary, he says he doesn't have a clue what are those :D

ed: Actually, "how you", "where you" and "why you" work just as fine.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Then: 3 ?BUGS?; 1st warrior died in one hit, 2nd warrior died in one hit and no one - absolutely no one - was able to penetrate in 3 rounds. Not one. Only success was the Bard sleeping one per round.

Not saying combat is broken (easy enough to just reload), but a random (?) encounter against unbeatable foes isn't what I'd call balanced.

Depends on where you wandered. In Wiz 7 you can go to some very tough places quite early in the game and you'd be squashed like a bug. This is my favourite design - open world with no/little level scaling. What should not happen though is for you to randomly meet super-tough monsters mixed in with the weak ones in the starter "green" zones. That's a recipe for save scumming and that's a practice any game design should avoid at all costs (something the likes of inXile still have to realize).

mondblut

Arcane

Bugs are bad news, even on level 3-4 with decent weapons. You need to be fully rested to have a chance to penetrate (and I sure hope most of those melee guys were unarmed saurian berserkers?)

Old Wizardry tradition. By old I mean pre-Bradley Wizardry even.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

First few fights in prison (assumed to be "set" fights since I had random set on Never) ...

Several encounters against 3-6 Worms, no sweat at all. A few against one or two Rats. Once again, no sweat. Easy as pie. Too easy, really, as very few of these critters ever got a chance to do anything before death embraced them.

git gud

Rick

Erudite

Depends on where you wandered. In Wiz 7 you can go to some very tough places quite early in the game and you'd be squashed like a bug. This is my favourite design - open world with no/little level scaling. What should not happen though is for you to randomly meet super-tough monsters mixed in with the weak ones in the starter "green" zones. That's a recipe for save scumming and that's a practice any game design should avoid at all costs (something the likes of inXile still have to realize).

I was entirely within the confines of the starter prison area. Probably didn't cover even half the map before meeting the Mighty ??BUGS??. Had I wandered somewhere notably different from there, then that's fine. Reload, return to the "safer" area and grind.

mondblut

Arcane
Version 1.2.0.25
----------------------------------------
*Improved Identify on Bone Dagger fixed (and all other similar items)
*Animation handle assert for validity removed (Crashing in Necropolix when turning statue)
*Adjustments to interval check on wandering monsters
*Chucker collection for items thrown in combat fixes
*Numerous NPCs set to AutoActive after first encounter to assure further meetings
*Q'Orl Fountain bug fix in Bestiary Underground, wrong CGX key was set
*Bookcase blocking access to some rooms on the lower berth of the Snark removed
*Gaol Key for Axis Gaol got one additional charge to open all gates in Axis Gaol
*Unnamed character crashes character library
*Halcyonic Lyre now casts "Cone of Cold" instead of "Deep Freeze"
*Retargeting of spells during combat when switching from party to monsters

Still trying to reproduce retreat bug reported by one user for Black Lich battle ...

Many other small fixes to items, monsters and NPCs requested by users

Most bugs are to address issues directly interfering with game play, not balance yet

Seems like a good batch of fixes. I'm going to fire it up to see how the encounter frequencies feel.

How am I supposed to one-shot Samhain Horror as a first combat action without deep freeze lyre? :negative:
Confirming, blank wall in Bestiary is now a fountain (if you cast divination there at the wall before, it did detect an invisible fountain indeed), and a key is inside.

How to make Qorl teach Astral Vision though? Had to give up, Temple of Hathor Sogg that will be.

Rick

Erudite

git gud

Not sure what that means or if that was a light-hearted, possibly sarcastic response, but how do you "git gud" when you're level 1, still using sticks and pencils as weapons, and combat options are rather limited?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom