Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

L5R Living card game

At last, after much teasing during last autumn and winter, Fantasy Flight Games have put something specific in their website:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/19/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

TL; DR for people who have already played the CCG: The system is a rework of the original (you still get two decks and four provinces). Instead of strength & chi, you have military and political skills, and you can use either of those to initiate a battle (battles can be initiated in several ways, one for each of the elemental rings, apparently) and the cost of characters has been reworked so that you can put some extra points into their staying power (fate points - characters lose one per turn and when they are out of fate, they are discarded). There are military, rings and honour victory conditions as before, and you get to play around with the card draw and honour (basically, you pay 1 honour per card drawn and the difference between each player goes to the one who drew less). Fans of the CCG are divided between those that say that rebooting to Imperial is heresy (pre-Scorpion Clan Coup; for those of you who do not know or care, the starting point of L5R's storyline) because it ignores player influence in the storyline and those (like yours truly) that think it's fucking awesome because we miss those good old days a lot (the writers had ample time to prove they weren't that great, even before the Rich Wulf era).

Part of the design team comes from the Warhammer 40k LCG, so I have high hopes for this one. It's coming out in the last quarter of this year, or so they say.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Wait so AEG sold one of their best known products to FFG,how did I miss that?

I wonder if FFG will make some board games or a new rpg in the L5R world

Wait so AEG sold one of their best known products to FFG,how did I miss that?

Yes, L5R is now owned lock, stock and barrel by FFG. Which means that there'll be no licensing shenanigans to deal with this time. On the other hand, there's FFG's tendency to nickel-and-diming when it comes to RPGs, but since L5R already has a humongous set of sourcebooks and a metaplot to go with it, I doubt anything will change there.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I see they went really back to the beginning,Toturi isn't the head of the Lion Clan bat Aramasu and why is Kamoko called Utaku and not Otaku,the War Against Shadow hasn't happened yet:rpgcodex:

And Hoturi is now a woman and called Hotaru?:baka:

BTW City of Lies is the best rpg city supplement I have ever played and one of the best rpg supplements in general

spectre

Arcane
My first impression is that it looks like a blend of L5R and Game of Thrones LCG with a few interesting twists.
Bidding honor for the number of cards you draw as well as deciding for how many turns to keep your characters with fate both look like interesting mechanics to work with.

All in all, I think L5R is going to be served well by such a reboot, cause the CCG was starting to feel overgrown with rules and backstory.

Only thing that bugs me is card layout, it's as though they were forbidden to use any sort of sharp contours and it sorta blends together.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I don't really like FFG's card design philosophies (Android Netrunner doesn't count since it's basically just the original Netrunner).

I read the rules for the new card game, seems just like a Rokugan flavored Game of Thrones/ Cthulhu ccg, I think I'll pass.

Why did they make Hoturi a girl:( but she's kind of hot I guess.

They should have made Kisada a woman.

I don't really like FFG's card design philosophies (Android Netrunner doesn't count since it's basically just the original Netrunner).

I read the rules for the new card game, seems just like a Rokugan flavored Game of Thrones/ Cthulhu ccg, I think I'll pass.

Why did they make Hoturi a girl:( but she's kind of hot I guess.

They should have made Kisada a woman.

No, thanks. "Girly" is a theme that fits the Crane. Making Kisada a girl would have been a... travesty.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't played the CCG, but as a former L5R RPG gamemaster, I am glad they are rebooting the setting. Many metaplot events did not make much sense to me, and I felt it was a bit lame to have the story evolves depending on who won the last tournament.

That said, they do not seem very interested in doing anything with the RPG, or did they anounce anything?
And I am not sure I'll be happy with them replacing Roll and Keep with one of their custom dice systems.

I haven't played the CCG, but as a former L5R RPG gamemaster, I am glad they are rebooting the setting. Many metaplot events did not make much sense to me, and I felt it was a bit lame to have the story evolves depending on who won the last tournament.

That said, they do not seem very interested in doing anything with the RPG, or did they anounce anything?
And I am not sure I'll be happy with them replacing Roll and Keep with one of their custom dice systems.
Not only who won, but who played what! So if in order to stay competitive a certain clan had to use the corrupted mines back in the day, bang! Corrupted clan storyline. Things got more nonsensical over time, especially with Rich Wulf.

Regarding the RPG, I'm haven't heard anything about a 5th edition, but I agree, the system is very elegant and I'd prefer it if they kept their in-house systems out of this one.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom