Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Ezekiel

Arcane
I don't get it, what's so great about Artorias? I fought him a couple of days ago for the first time and was really excited for the fight because every discussion about DaS ever hyped him to Heaven and back. :cry: He isn't particularly hard or interesting and from Demon's Souls alone, the Penetrator would wipe the floor with him. I suppose it's because I didn't play this when it came out though, so I can't appreciate the context.
you're also a retard that thinks Demons Souls is one of the best games of this series
What can I say, I have good tastes. :smug:
I was never blown away like everybody else by Artorias either. He's a good boss, but I don't get why people revere him so. I honestly think the Artorias DLC is too long. It's a very good DLC, but it hurts the structure of the story somewhat. The character is away from the main quest so long that it begins to seem a bit trivial. When they get back to it, they're overpowered.

You're right, Demon's Souls was the best one. The most creative and atmospheric of them all, with more unique bosses. It helped that the games weren't popular yet and the developers didn't have to tailor it so much for the fans. I also preferred the hub over the open world of Dark Souls. When I started playing Dark Souls, I got annoyed with it and went back to Demon's. My problem was going to certain areas to soon, like Blighttown with the Master Key. It did go on to become one of my favorite games, but it never replaced Demon's Souls for me. Also, I wouldn't have dropped the carry limit. I don't like having an infinite number of weapons and items on hand. Makes the exploration feel slightly trivial, and it's kind of cheap.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Artorias is so beloved by the comunity not only because of the lore aspect of him but the fact he was a very different and challenging boss; his moveset, speed and mid fight powerup made him stand out from a very good lineup of bosses in Dark Souls. As I have stated before even if you played Demons Souls Flamelurker was a much different experience and that is why it was so resonant. The DLC area felt just about right for me, it added what 8 hours pf gameplay and arguably the best group of bosses in the series (a case could be made for Old Hunters)
I remember my first run of Dark Souls where I didnt know how to make a build so I had a "balanced" pyro build that wasnt built for melee so the bosses were too fast and aggresive to use my usual fire orb and dodge routine... plus I wanted to go all macho and fight them with a sub optimal build and a longsword
Oh but the absolute feeling of acompliment when I managed to defeat them...

mogwaimon

Magister
Artorias is cool because you were Artorias all along, woooooooo....Frankly the fight itself was fun, memorable, but it didn't exactly blow me away either. Then again, it IS the only fight that's really stuck in my mind long after playing Dark Souls. That and Ornstein/Smough, I still have nightmares about those guys.

On the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls argument....I've played both. Got the plat in Demon Souls. Both games are pretty great but I still prefer Dark Souls. Even with the often liberal placement of bonfires, the open world made the game flow a bit better, IMO. Felt more like a journey than checking bosses off of a list in 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, so on and so forth. Plus I would argue that the NPCs are a bit more memorable. I still remember and feel bad for Sun Bro, I still remember Oscar's tubby ass, and Lautrec is a fucking prick. (Though I never summoned any NPCs during my Dark Souls run, or any players either). On the other hand, I barely remember the lady in black from DeS, nevermind anyone else. I think there was a giant blacksmith in 2-1? Maybe?

sullynathan

Arcane
with more unique bosses
2h714ir.jpg

10 different poo poo monsters is not unique

polo

Magister
Fighting artorias after playing BB, Ds3, Ds3, is like watching Casablanca for the first time nowadays. You've seen all that stuff in every fucking movie already.
Also when i found out about the lore, Sif and all that shit i was blown, its pretty cool.

Arnust

Savant
Fighting artorias after playing BB, Ds3, Ds3, is like watching Casablanca for the first time nowadays. You've seen all that stuff in every fucking movie already.
Also when i found out about the lore, Sif and all that shit i was blown, its pretty cool.
Yet, you have The Penetrator and False King. More like having watched Casablanca 2 :D

polo

Magister
Yet, you have The Penetrator and False King. More like having watched Casablanca 2 :D
Never played Demon Souls, too poor to own consoles.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Citation needed indeed. In Dark Souls, almost every boss basically has you dodging and hitting.
with more unique bosses
2h714ir.jpg

Citation needed indeed. I don't feel like typing out a long response for this. I think this video does a good job of explaining what sets Demon's Souls apart from the series.

He begins with the bosses.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
THat fucking matthewmathosis... he makes some very good points and the he fucks it all up with his "combat is not remarkable in Souls"
You can say combat IS simple; blocking, dodging, swinging your sword yeah are pretty much set from the start but the combat system is oh so very elegantly deep and rewarding.
His argument about the combat fits right in with the "what's so special about Artorias?" comment; nowadays it's commonplace to see games that have slow deliberate combat, where you manage stamina and punish you for swinging your sword like an idiot so now it is ok to say "hey nothing special there" when the mere fact that it has caused so much impact and widespread acclaim that it has been done in more games so it is no longer seen as revolutionary

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The stuff around 20 minutes in seems spot on, regarding how stuff 'improved' in one entry was usually lost in the next one. I agree for example that the fact that you can unhollow at any moment (like before the boss gate) makes the invasion, uh, 'system' in DS3 kinda pointless.

And I agree about Micolash :)

Arnust

Savant

Quite redundant by now, but good video regardless. Sure as hell better than Matt going "I ALWAYS PREFERRED THE FIRST ONE, I ONLY SAID IT JUST NOW TO NOT LOSE RENOWN"

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I also enjoyed the fact that there are some additional things to discover in the 'arena', which somehow makes it count double when you're in the middle of a frantic fight. Really memorable!

Black Angel

Arcane
I also love how you can actually break the sequence of his fight if you can keep him from entering that last room. I don't know if it has been patched, and I don't know if he will ever use Call if you fight him like this:

Fight starts at 06.30 minute mark.

sullynathan

Arcane
Citation needed indeed. In Dark Souls, almost every boss basically has you dodging and hitting.
with more unique bosses
2h714ir.jpg

Citation needed indeed. I don't feel like typing out a long response for this. I think this video does a good job of explaining what sets Demon's Souls apart from the series.

He begins with the bosses.

I actually watched this video when it released and I responded on the codex in the demons souls thread before you joined Ezekial. Go back to MAL and never point me to this fag ever again

Ezekiel

Arcane
I actually watched this video when it released and I responded on the codex in the demons souls thread before you joined Ezekial. Go back to MAL and never point me to this fag ever again
I don't know what you're acting so special for. You still post on MAL and have a bigger post count than me, accumulated in a far shorter period, and haven't even been here that long.

I've not watched any of his other videos, so I don't know how much of a "fag" he is. But I largely agree with him on this.

sullynathan

Arcane
I don't know what you're acting so special for. You still post on MAL and have a bigger post count than me, accumulated in a far shorter period, and haven't even been here that long.
I was shitposting that time

Ezekiel

Arcane
I was shitposting that time
Whatever you need to tell yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom