Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Paul_cz

Arcane
New story trailer

Paul_cz

Arcane
If Warhorse had 250 people like CDP I am sure they would love to model every head individually, but sadly they don't so they had to scan real people and real people look like potatos.

Starwars

Arcane
They are not doing a good job showing the game off in a good light in these trailers I think. The cinematic story stuff looks pretty bad.

Give me the pretty forests and hitchhiking simulation.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Vávra has a great gift in coming up with many good design ideas based in reality. However, he doesn't know when to stop. Recall 20 laps race with real-like physics of 30s cars or his recent "tough" decision to cut off the blacksmithing and dog companion from KC:D, because it would take too much time to fulfil Vávra's vision. Btw. here is Vávra saying how it's sad that Bethesda came with the dog in F4 first, when they had had it planned for a long time. He also mentions that the F4 dog can do all the stuff that their dog should be able to do. I have the feeling that he was a bit jealous of F4 and so extended the scope of their dog's abilities and than ran out of time on it. We'll see whether the dog comes as DLC at least.

And a second problem with Vávra is his unique ability to "shit in his own mouth" as Czechs say. It means criticizing somebody for something and then doing the same. For example here Vávra rants about Fargo having enough money and not needing to go to Kickstarter. Well we know what happened a year later...

Nonetheless, I'm excited that KC:D is being done and I keep my fingers crossed that it ends up being awesome.

He is a perfectionist. Oh no such terrible property to have as a developer.
It is actually not a good thing to be truly perfectionist. You won't ship anything if you want it to be perfect, or you will go overbudget or have to delay a game a lot (which causes going overbudget). There must be a point where you say no to things, and say "alright, this is not that important, better spend my time on other thing".

And in the end, he was right. Both Broken Age from Schaffer and Wasteland 2 from Fargo...sucked :D
They didn't suck.
Plus they did not need Kickstarter to survive as companies. Warhorse did, if they could avoid crowdfunding, they would.
Are you working at Warhorse? If not, you don't know their financial state.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Vávra has a great gift in coming up with many good design ideas based in reality. However, he doesn't know when to stop. Recall 20 laps race with real-like physics of 30s cars or his recent "tough" decision to cut off the blacksmithing and dog companion from KC:D, because it would take too much time to fulfil Vávra's vision. Btw. here is Vávra saying how it's sad that Bethesda came with the dog in F4 first, when they had had it planned for a long time. He also mentions that the F4 dog can do all the stuff that their dog should be able to do. I have the feeling that he was a bit jealous of F4 and so extended the scope of their dog's abilities and than ran out of time on it. We'll see whether the dog comes as DLC at least.

And a second problem with Vávra is his unique ability to "shit in his own mouth" as Czechs say. It means criticizing somebody for something and then doing the same. For example here Vávra rants about Fargo having enough money and not needing to go to Kickstarter. Well we know what happened a year later...

Nonetheless, I'm excited that KC:D is being done and I keep my fingers crossed that it ends up being awesome.

He is a perfectionist. Oh no such terrible property to have as a developer.
It is actually not a good thing to be truly perfectionist. You won't ship anything if you want it to be perfect, or you will go overbudget or have to delay a game a lot (which causes going overbudget). There must be a point where you say no to things, and say "alright, this is not that important, better spend my time on other thing".

And in the end, he was right. Both Broken Age from Schaffer and Wasteland 2 from Fargo...sucked :D
They didn't suck.
Plus they did not need Kickstarter to survive as companies. Warhorse did, if they could avoid crowdfunding, they would.
Are you working at Warhorse? If not, you don't know their financial state.

1. Yes, which is why they are in content lock already for a while, 6 months before release, focusing on polishing, bugfixing and shipping.
2. I played both. Second act of Broken Age sucked and Wasteland 2's LA was terrible.
3. No, but I follow the development closely and they are very open. When no publisher decided to pick up the game, the only available funding was from the investor who funded the prototype. But in order to fund it, they had to prove market was interested, hence crowdfunding. if KS failed, project would be dead and company most likely disbanded (unless they would manage to get hired for some other project of someone else).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Meh there's nothing new, I've seen everything many times over.

Meanwhile Vavra gave several detailed talks about the game in the last few months at various developer conferences but there's never any video. All those super-IT types somehow find it difficult to set up a Sony handheld for a 100 bucks in the room and then upload that shit on Youtube.

Wasteland 2's LA was terrible.

You must be the only person in the world to think Wasteland's 2 problem was the California part. Even the detractors admit it was the game's strong suit.
For me personally Wasteland 2 - the Director's Cut version - is one of the best RPGs ever made, easily on par with Fallout 2.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Meh there's nothing new, I've seen everything many times over.

Meanwhile Vavra gave several detailed talks about the game in the last few months at various developer conferences but there's never any video. All those super-IT types somehow find it difficult to set up a Sony handheld for a 100 bucks in the room and then upload that shit on Youtube.

Wasteland 2's LA was terrible.

You must be the only person in the world to think Wasteland's 2 problem was the California part. Even the detractors admit it was the game's strong suit.
For me personally Wasteland 2 - the Director's Cut version - is one of the best RPGs ever made, easily on par with Fallout 2.

I played the release version, not director's cut. It felt kinda empty and in fact I dropped the game there.
I just watched the ending on youtube, which I also found quite bad. And I am one of those motherfuckers who kickstarted this to the tune of 60 bucks.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Btw, is the version of KCD showcased at gamescom patched to include the facial anims that were missing from E3 build ? I wonder if they are continuing to damage their own marketing or not.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw, is the version of KCD showcased at gamescom patched to include the facial anims that were missing from E3 build ? I wonder if they are continuing to damage their own marketing or not.

There's a Toby interview in German, from what I understood with my rudimentary krautspeak he said facial animation and lipsync is the main focus of the studio right now (and prolly will be until the launch).

Paul_cz

Arcane

There's a Toby interview in German, from what I understood with my rudimentary krautspeak he said facial animation and lipsync is the main focus of the studio right now (and prolly will be until the launch).
I know that, but iirc smejki here said maybe in gamescom build it could be implemented for showcase already.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

The game will be released in less than a year, why bother as most people prefer pretty videos from talking?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
There's a peaceful path - you don't have to fight / kill any person but one in the whole game, and Vavra is considering to eliminate the need to kill that 1 person too. The guy in the interview I saw today was adamant that it's not a fighting game, but a roleplaying game.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
There's a peaceful path - you don't have to fight / kill any person but one in the whole game, and Vavra is considering to eliminate the need to kill that 1 person too. The guy in the interview I saw today was adamant that it's not a fighting game, but a roleplaying game.

Yes, but will it be satisfying or just added to tick the box on the feature checklist?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom