Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft: Remastered

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
True, while the cinematics of todays games themselves are amazing from a technical standpoint, they are lacking in the "feel" and atmosphere and storytelling of the older games.

Imagine having cinematic tech back in 1998 era. Hnnnnnnng

Luka-boy

Arcane
My favourite were the cutscenes that had both some comedy and Terrans getting slaughtered.

While having them remade could be neat, I'm happy if they only upscale and clean them up a bit as long as they don't fuck it up.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Posted by Pete Stilwell
Greetings,

To manage expectation: the maintenance starts at 10 - there will be no downtime - but based on current progress of migration into the Blizzard App the actual live moment will be around 1 PM PDT.

Cheers,
Classic Games

So this should be out in ~80 min or so.

80s Stallone

Arcane
So it's like 4+GB???

EDIT: Was disappointed that the original German voices had seemingly disappeared, but you can activate them in the options. Das könnte gut werden.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can someone who plays this confirm that
a) they haven't changed the cinematics
b) they haven't changed the music apart from re-recording it in higher quality.

Graphics wise this looks amazing, but for me sound, music and atmosphere mean much more.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Can confirm cinematics are not changed, not even that much upscaled as it looks, abit less pixaleted, but pretty much the same. They are in widescreen now tho.

Music is entirely the same, it's remastered and sounds much better. And sounds in general are better also. Really pack a bunch. Terrific.

Destroid

Arcane
Can confirm cinematics are not changed, not even that much upscaled as it looks, abit less pixaleted, but pretty much the same. They are in widescreen now tho.

Music is entirely the same, it's remastered and sounds much better. And sounds in general are better also. Really pack a bunch. Terrific.

So... they cut the top and bottom off the scene and fucked up all the cinematography?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can someone who plays this confirm that
a) they haven't changed the cinematics
b) they haven't changed the music apart from re-recording it in higher quality.

Graphics wise this looks amazing, but for me sound, music and atmosphere mean much more.

It's ok. Music is the same, cutscenes are the original ones but in better quality (less pixilated). Mission briefings are the same except for the changed hero portraits obviously.

The parts where you had green text on black background explaining things are now accompliced by illustrations. No biggy, although I preferred it the old way. All in all it's very faithful except as I mentioned they could not resist to taint the menu artworks and some of the character portraits with their shitty SCII artstyle. Biggest offenders are the Protoss, who all got the "long snoot" make-over. Zerg and Terran have some portraits that are off too, it's especially jarring since other portraits are well done, perfect reproductions of the originals down to the last pixel.

All in all it's a good meal with a bit of shit on top.

Gameplay wise it seems faithful to a fault, you can't even use waypoints to auto-assign new workers to gather resources, just like in the original. That's how hardcore it is. I guess Blizzard knew the Koreans would rip them a new one if they tried any shit.

Ingame graphics are fine and completely faithful, although it takes a while to get used to the crispyness.

I'd say it's worth a buy if you can look over some of the fuckups in the art department. All in all it's probably the best remaster around and miles above shit like Age of Empires 2 HD.

Edit: You can switch between the original game and the remaster on the fly by toggling the HD Graphic option in the menu. So it's indeed just a reskin with the original game itself untouched, this is actually incline compared to all the remasters where they recreate the game in a new engine with all the bugs and fuck ups that inevitably result from that (Homeworld, Besmdogs IE remasters).

Last edited:
I'm wondering if Multiplayer will attract significant numbers of old time players who haven't touched the game in ages or if it's gonna be only Korean hardcore freaks all over again.

Im actually tempted to give MP a try...

Quatlo

Arcane
I'm wondering if Multiplayer will attract significant numbers of old time players who haven't touched the game in ages or if it's gonna be only Korean hardcore freaks all over again.

did they add any new fancy features like ranksand matchmaking?

ciox

Liturgist

did they add any new fancy features like ranksand matchmaking?

It has Auto-Matchmaking (for ranked games), I think that one is new. I think I'll be better of joining some custom games for noobs though.

By the way, you can switch back and forth between the original game and the remastered version at anytime using the F5 key - no matter if it's while being on a menu screen, during gameplay, mission briefings or even during the cutscenes! That's pretty cool actually.

Meh, that probably means the original version with high res mod is still better. But seriously, you can't even queue up more orders with Shift?

ciox

Liturgist
If you mean stuff like making tanks siege up as a queued action (after move orders etc) or the same thing with the defiler's consume then that's something you could enable with a game data editor since 1998, since making orders queueable is just a checkbox, but it hasn't been changed for Remastered because they didn't change anything that could affect multiplayer balance, and didn't bother making a distinction for singleplayer.

The inability to zoom out and other shitty aspects definitely let the old resolution expander hacks remain as a potential viable way to play Starcraft, are they any good these days?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom