Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Looks like a fun build, satisfying skill to use.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I never understood the appeal of mining when traps do the same at longer range.

Jason Liang

Arcane
gfs_57390_2_9.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
Mines do more damage and you don't depend on enemies triggering them or using combinations of unique items to have instant trigger. Traps are better for low AoE or self cast range spells like Vortex or Ice Nova, Mines are better for things that hit things to screen edge like Arc, bow skills or GC.

RuySan

Augur
This expansion made me return to the game after so many years. Either this had a graphical makeover or the game looks better than I remembered.

Anyway, act 3 is sucking the life out of me. The game is also to easy for too long, which is in general a problem with the genre. Are the new 6 acts worth it or are just reskins?

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
This expansion made me return to the game after so many years. Either this had a graphical makeover or the game looks better than I remembered.

Anyway, act 3 is sucking the life out of me. The game is also to easy for too long, which is in general a problem with the genre. Are the new 6 acts worth it or are just reskins?

Once you get to Kitava I bet your opinion will change.

Overall I think Acts 6-10 are nice and makes the leveling process much more tolerable.

Grif

Learned
Trying to spec out my fire trapper to a miner. Anyone got any suggestions on a fun spell to use with this? Is Arc viable?

There's a lot of reskinning and reuse of assets, but they sprinkle in enough new monsters, boss mechanics etc. to make it more interesting than playing the exact same thing 3 times. Only a few will be challenging depending on your build, but it's an improvement.

I'm enjoying my Xirgil's Crank firestorm witch, but I'm also a filthy casual playing SC. Might try out a miner build based on recs here

T. Reich

Arcane
Trying to spec out my fire trapper to a miner. Anyone got any suggestions on a fun spell to use with this? Is Arc viable?

Fire nova mine is a solid choice, as always.
Current miner streamer meta is glacial cascade - the skil lwas significantly reworked in 3.0.0 and now has excellent damage scaling potential.

T. Reich

Arcane
Are the new 6 acts worth it or are just reskins?

Acts 6-10 are semi-reskins of acts 1-5.
You will revisit many of the same locations - with changed ambience and mobs, plus some extra things. Mobs may or may not be the same.
There is also a good deal of new locations in the same acts, and those feature mostly new tilesets and monster types.
If you played maps after Atlas of Worlds at all, you'll recognise some of those new tilesets as the new map tilesets introduced back then. If not - those will be completely fresh.

miles teg

Scholar
Forgive my noobish questions but I'm picking up the game today after trying it years ago: when a gem is marked as both spell and projectile (e.g. frostbolt), is dextery used to compute the chance to hit? Just wondering if i need dex. Nodes with for witch...

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I need to report that my current character is kicking ass. I found an interesting combinations called Chin Sol bow + Empire Grasp gloves + Point Blank support. Yea it has been done before but seems nobody wrote about it since 2.4 or without using a Knockback gem. I went to maximise damage and not only focus on Knockback.
It is a RAT Berserker that uses Tornado shot for general mapping and switches Barrage gem into the slot for boss fights. The build is not done yet as I still need to level up a bit and upgrade my gear but I got hold of all uniques I wanted by now.

How does it work: Chin Sol bow does 100% more bow damage at close range (20 aoe) and also does 100% knockback at close range. Point Blank gives 50% more damage within 10 range and it gets reduced to 0% more damage and 35 range and then after that it goes down. Since Chin Sol by default pushes everyone outside its range of max damage I also put on Empire's Grasp gloves that reverse the direction of knockback. So now any enemy within 20 range is being knocked towards the totem and within the range of max damage.
For general mapping this does not matter much since two RATs with Tornado shot murder everything in one or two shots anyways. An occasional rare lives long enough to see it being pulled towards the RAT.
Where this build really shines is when it is most important, vs map bosses. I put down two Barrage RATs, each fires 6 arrows 2 times per second. Map bosses get stuck and glued to them and then die within seconds. If they are melee kind without a fast getaway ability they are a complete walkover.
Only problems are map bosses with lots of adds (as Barrage RATs don't deal well with adds) but so far I was able to kill those slower with Tornado shot RATs.

It is pretty hilarious to watch.
Here is the PoB of it at lvl 84: https://pastebin.com/jq4hqCEq

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've been trying to think of a way to abuse the new herald based chestpiece for a build, https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Coming_Calamity

I feel like with the recent dot changes, getting a 5 link herald of ash (or maybe two heralds, like ash and frost?) on that thing could be really brutal. Lots of potential 'ailment' damage to add to it.

But I'm not sure how to make it work against bosses without adds, aside from some janky shit like worm blasting. Maybe make it a stunlocking build? High single damage hits would fit well into both aspects, and lone bosses tend to be the most vulnerable to stunlocking. Or maybe a dot/viper strike build, using the herald for trash clearing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've been trying to think of a way to abuse the new herald based chestpiece for a build, https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Coming_Calamity

I feel like with the recent dot changes, getting a 5 link herald of ash (or maybe two heralds, like ash and frost?) on that thing could be really brutal. Lots of potential 'ailment' damage to add to it.

But I'm not sure how to make it work against bosses without adds, aside from some janky shit like worm blasting. Maybe make it a stunlocking build? High single damage hits would fit well into both aspects, and lone bosses tend to be the most vulnerable to stunlocking. Or maybe a dot/viper strike build, using the herald for trash clearing.
Google autobomber builds, I know RaizQT played his own on stream on multiple occasions. You can take ideas how to make it work from his version.
I know he focused on critical hits, a bit harder now with assassin a bit nerfed but it could still work. He also used that breach unique amulet that gives lots of critical hit chance. You would need to be rich before doing this.
I can see 6L version of that armor having: Herald of Ice+Herald of Thunder+Inc Crit Strikes+Added Lightning+Added Cold+Inc AoE (or replace that with something else if you can get enough inc AoE from the tree).
You fight bosses by using some appropriate Vaal Skill. No idea how you fight Izaro :D

It is also a build where you need to go fast so you can go fight boss before your Herald of Thunder runs out of duration.
Also seems with that armor using Essence Worm for a free aura is also good as it will not affect your Herald mana reservation.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's a shame they killed the old multi-vaal lightning strike cheese for bosses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom