Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Razzoriel

Genos Studios
Developer
I'm taking notes of how the development of this game followed, and been watching closely. Not only because I'm making the same genre (somewhat), but because they did a lot of mistakes during development that could be easily fixed. And the amount of missed opportunities they had with a ton of game concepts is just mind-boggling. Maybe its because an indie company getting their money in their first title to rent an office in Germany out of all places and use the funds to get the next title going (or even pay the debts they acquired from the possible loans to make the first one) is poor management. Hope you guys enjoy the game, because from what it is worth, it delivers (somewhat), but simply gets almost glaring the issue that they could put just more work to make this game stellar, and didn't.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They did have a ton of missed opportunities and wasted potential. But which other fucking game in the last decade managed to do better what they attempted? I'm willing to hear that. I want that game.
We keep complaining but they are a team of ONE programmer and two more dudes doing other stuff. Let's not forget that. The game is feature complete and completely bug free.

Lios

Cipher
There should also be an additional endgame crisis where all the bandit/raider poachers and marksmen team up to take over the land.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I have been away from this thread for awhile but now I see it is finally on GOG. The last version I played was 1.05 I think the first patched version after release... so any cool developments is the world a bit more reactive as it was during some of the EA prototypes?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
They did have a ton of missed opportunities and wasted potential. But which other fucking game in the last decade managed to do better what they attempted? I'm willing to hear that. I want that game.
We keep complaining but they are a team of ONE programmer and two more dudes doing other stuff. Let's not forget that. The game is feature complete and completely bug free.

Any game with content is better in my opinion. Hell, Godfall (a very similar game in mechanics) was 100x better because it had a little content and dungeons with multiple fights. The go one place and get in one fight model is subpar and this game only did so well because of hipsterism and the simplicity of it leading people to believe they are good or that the combat in this game offered a challenge.

AoD and Underrail had tons of content and small teams. Antharion, the Eschalons, Templar Battleforce, Voidspire Tactics, and I could go on and on and on are all games by small teams that managed to release an rpg with content worth playing that were not hipster bait for idiots and retards.

Is it fair for me to compare this game, which isn't an rpg, to actual rpgs? Since it is still in the rpg forums for no explicable reason other than some mod is a fucking hipster retard yes, it is. If you don't want it compared to real rpgs move it to tacticular cancer or the strategy gaming forum.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
So I have been away from this thread for awhile but now I see it is finally on GOG. The last version I played was 1.05 I think the first patched version after release... so any cool developments is the world a bit more reactive as it was during some of the EA prototypes?

No.
They keep spawn/script model from global map update(0.6) just polished it a little. For example enemy parties still spawn from thin air for some contracts(like wandering orc party rampaging nearby settlements) but for other(like raid on settlement) are spawned(still from thin air) on nearest enemy camp9so they can march a little). The same goes for enemy camps targeted in contracts - they do not spawn new one but replace garrison of existing one according to danger level of contract(so necro coven with local version of vampires turn into skeleton den with auxiliaries - for example).
City status tend to be caused by local enemy intrusions but settlements lack any other(than player) long term defense against it. Other mercenary parties do not take contracts and noble or militia units do not attack enemy camps. So patrols fight each other but that is all.
Enemy factions also lack way to take over/destroy other enemy camps or settlements(outside of crisis). What they can do is to kill caravans, patrols and burn attached locations(either in failed defense contracts or - not exactly sure- but it looks like attached locations serve as sort of settlement HP/resource bar that can be destroyed indirectly - as I often seen it burning with no enemy units on it - so probably loss of caravans/patrols also hurt it).
Enemy factions(orcs, goblins, bandits and undead) still are one big family - which mean different orc clans do not fight each other. They fight other factions patrols but that its all.

Also you miss that development end and there will be no DLC, expansions or mods.
Game is finished. Files still locked.

That is main reason of people reactions. They see that devs have skill but still abandon game. If it was failure from the start and low quality nobody would really care.
Also its almost completely bug free - but I still occasionally get some rare crashes. And I have enough of talking about lacking features. Its technically features complete(and that is still disputable) but it not feel like complete game. Lack of content is one but lack of game mechanics is another thing.

There should also be an additional endgame crisis where all the bandit/raider poachers and marksmen team up to take over the land.

Hell, NO.
Imagine armies full of Marksmen and Master Archers.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

No.
They keep spawn/script model from global map update(0.6) just polished it a little. For example enemy parties still spawn from thin air for some contracts(like wandering orc party rampaging nearby settlements) but for other(like raid on settlement) are spawned(still from thin air) on nearest enemy camp9so they can march a little). The same goes for enemy camps targeted in contracts - they do not spawn new one but replace garrison of existing one according to danger level of contract(so necro coven with local version of vampires turn into skeleton den with auxiliaries - for example).
City status tend to be caused by local enemy intrusions but settlements lack any other(than player) long term defense against it. Other mercenary parties do not take contracts and noble or militia units do not attack enemy camps. So patrols fight each other but that is all.
Enemy factions also lack way to take over/destroy other enemy camps or settlements(outside of crisis). What they can do is to kill caravans, patrols and burn attached locations(either in failed defense contracts or - not exactly sure- but it looks like attached locations serve as sort of settlement HP/resource bar that can be destroyed indirectly - as I often seen it burning with no enemy units on it - so probably loss of caravans/patrols also hurt it).
Enemy factions(orcs, goblins, bandits and undead) still are one big family - which mean different orc clans do not fight each other. They fight other factions patrols but that its all.

Also you miss that development end and there will be no DLC, expansions or mods.

That is main reason of people reactions. They see that devs have skill but still abandon game. If it was failure from the start and low quality nobody would really care.
Also its almost completely bug free - but I still occasionally get some rare crashes. And I have enough of talking about lacking features. Its technically features complete(and that is still disputable) but it not feel like complete game. Lack of content is one but lack of game mechanics is another thing.

Hell, NO.
Imagine armies full of Marksmen and Master Archers.
Very disappointing
I figured they would try to make the game more reactive with competitive mercenary companies, a more balanced economy and an actual mid game with multi tiered quests...
So no more DLC or expansions either
This game is a solid 8 from me but could have so much more

PanteraNera

Arcane
Very disappointing
I figured they would try to make the game more reactive with competitive mercenary companies, a more balanced economy and an actual mid game with multi tiered quests...
So no more DLC or expansions either
This game is a solid 8 from me but could have so much more
Yeah a lot of us hoped for that as well, its just another sad story.
When indie's became the new thing, I really hoped for some of them compassionate enough to create something really awesome. Don't care for graphics, but for content. From all the indie's they are still one of the better developers, as they have released a pretty bug-free, polished and playable game. But just not what a lot of people have hoped for.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Any game with content is better in my opinion. Hell, Godfall (a very similar game in mechanics) was 100x better because it had a little content and dungeons with multiple fights. The go one place and get in one fight model is subpar and this game only did so well because of hipsterism and the simplicity of it leading people to believe they are good or that the combat in this game offered a challenge.

AoD and Underrail had tons of content and small teams. Antharion, the Eschalons, Templar Battleforce, Voidspire Tactics, and I could go on and on and on are all games by small teams that managed to release an rpg with content worth playing that were not hipster bait for idiots and retards.

Is it fair for me to compare this game, which isn't an rpg, to actual rpgs? Since it is still in the rpg forums for no explicable reason other than some mod is a fucking hipster retard yes, it is. If you don't want it compared to real rpgs move it to tacticular cancer or the strategy gaming forum.

lol fuck off

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

lol fuck off

lol fuck off

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

I like this version of Roqua . Can we keep him?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Some confuse desire as objective measure, righteous wrath as criticism, complaint as argument.

There's a proverb that says 'the dogs will bark, but the caravan moves on'. Good to see Overhype moving on.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Some confuse desire as objective measure, righteous wrath as criticism, complaint as argument.

There's a proverb that says 'the dogs will bark, but the caravan moves on'. Good to see Overhype moving on.
I dont see it as a good thing, the game is fun as it is but with a bit more work it could have been something really special. As it is its a combat heavy game with some quests no reactivity and nice graphics... still love it to bits and that is why I wanted it to be better

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
No shut up hipster and/or idiot and retard, you like a game without content, Godfall and Antharion are better

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

I dont see it as a good thing, the game is fun as it is but with a bit more work it could have been something really special. As it is its a combat heavy game with some quests no reactivity and nice graphics... still love it to bits and that is why I wanted it to be better

We don't know what their challenges are or what limitations exist. Their game did relatively well and I imagine you hey are pleased with sales. Without that success they may well have spent more time on BB out of necessity. As it is they can move on to improved implementations with lessons and experience to reach for heightened aspirations without worrying about food.

I would rather see what they do next than more of BB, particularly if their moving on now means they have a better shot financially at reaching the next level. It's the pragmatic view.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
You fucking faggots can't see this is the game of the decade

What's a good tactical game to the Codex now? Do you even have a notion of it?

If JA2 came out today we'd get someone telling us about how much it lacks content and is repetitive. I don't know man, I don't think I can take this place anymore

PanteraNera

Arcane

If JA2 came out today we'd get someone telling us about how much it lacks content and is repetitive. I don't know man, I don't think I can take this place anymore

Wow, just wow, mentioning JA2 in the same post saying Battle Brothers is the game of the decade, that's really something else.

Compared to Battle Brothers JA2 wins in pretty much every aspect, even without 1.13.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Battle Brothers is a very good and interesting game for 40 hours. It has little replay value. Think of it as Mount&Blade without further refinement and mods.

The popular demand (quite clear from this thread) was to have a far more open game, and 2d graphics could have been easily moddable. I from the first day would have liked more variety ( check this very thread, I remember to have asked for "something less standard than central european-inspired middle ages"). Not that the low-fantasy world of BB is disappointing, but there was a chance for so much more.

This has already been discussed to death, we can merely move on and watch other projects. For how a game inferior to BB has been well-managed, check Templar Battleforce: the engine is less charming and the setting is derivative, but ohh boy, the devs are trying to give all they can.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter

Imagine JA2 with no voice acting, randomly generated mercenaries with zero personality, no story, only one team(but with 4 bonus character in reserve) and global map where you can not take enemy settlements but rebel forces could take them randomly and you can only fight enemy patrols in the same setup on randomly generated maps that have zero buildings and little variety.
Yeah sounds like a game of the decade.
Really depressing decade.

Also forget about mods and fan made patches. 1.13? Nope.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

This is the number one most massively disappointing aspect of Battle Brothers. It could have been GLORIOUS with mods. Instead it's just a solid game that becomes repetitive and predictable after your 5th playthrough, yet there is so much unrealized potential for something greater... which will never be because that's it. No mods. No DLCs. Just the game in its current state.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom