Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Observer - first person cyberpunk horror game starring Rutger Hauer

PrettyDeadman

That store thing on the GoG version?
I bought steam version because I am an achievment addict.
But I think it would be on GOG version as well.

Further impressions:

* there were 1 section with rudimentary stealth;
* the game also reminds me a lot about Silent Hills demo (and Layers of Fear, which was heavily influenced by that);
* you play as a guy who can enter other people's heads? memories? not much of a gameplay element, but you do enter 2 people heads (don't have much of a choice). those sections play out like Layers of Fear, kinda spooky and disjointed with changing geometry of levels and some memories mumbled. I liked that Nu-Paris (Remember me) version of memory entering better, it actually felt like puzzle and had some gameplay, here its just walking simulator.

The gameplay is kinda rudimentary, too bad since they have very talented artists, good premise, good voice acting and etc. I wish it wouldn't be as linear... Not quite the walking simulator, but not a big step up compared to Layers of fears in terms of gameplay complexity.

STill, good atmospheric game. Want to see what will be next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just launched the game.
Can someone please tell me wtf am I looking at?
Why instead of the game it launches some kind of a ?shop? thing

That's what you get for buying from Steam.

r_BHwk_X2.jpg

That store thing on the GoG version?

Nope, no launcher in my gog version.:)

Someone from the gog staff also confirmed that this launcher is not present in their version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starwars

Arcane
The horror elements feel very "Layers of fear-like", which is a bit of a shame I think. Similar "we're fucking with your mind, a door just opened up behind you when you turned around!" type of thing. I mean, I kinda like that stuff sometimes... but... meh.

PrettyDeadman

The horror elements feel very "Layers of fear-like", which is a bit of a shame I think. Similar "we're fucking with your mind, a door just opened up behind you when you turned around!" type of thing. I mean, I kinda like that stuff sometimes... but... meh.
Didn't like those parts either...
So far it feels like Soma a lot. Good atmosphere, good story (not as good as Soma in my opinion, but still very enjoyable), nice interactions with tenants in real-life, but dreamscape parts don't inspire me and don't add much to the game. Fells like the game would've been better without them, especially if they added more puzzles/quests & investigations.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah I got a little disappointed by the dream-like sequences as they're too on-rails and kinda silly with the cheap "The door shutted behind me while I was looking away! How scary!" moments. SOMA is the better game so far because it provokes more effective reflection on its themes instead of relying on cheap scares, besides offering more open segments to explore. The first meaningful dilemma I've found in Observer which made me reflect in a good sci-fi way was
Pieta and Paulina
and it seems to be almost by endgame.

6/10 so far. Depending on the mandatory plot-twist that will happen it may increase to 8/10, but I don't see it going further than this. While SOMA is a big 9/10 for me.

zeitgeist

Magister
Great atmosphere (in the "main world", the brain implant sections are so-so), terrible gameplay where you might as well watch a Youtube playthrough.

The art assets, world-building, writing, and visual style are completely wasted, this could've been an Eastern European cyberpunk detective adventure where you conduct proper investigations, not just walk and look at highlighted items. It's a shame because many conversations with the tenants are interesting, the architecture looks neat, and this is the first game in a very long time that actually did the generic cyberpunk world that's not based on current year setting right (it's very retro compared to most post-2001 cyberpunk, the technology and how it affects the people is similar to Blade Runner or Strange Days).

I want to play a real game in this universe, but I know it will never happen.

Silva

Arcane
Finished it. Missed a couple things (like the supposed "bodies farm") but I'm not excited to do it again since the game is 90% linear. The ending plot twist is based on a really cliched sci-fi theme. And for all the amazing art and atmosphere, the game uses some pretty lame horror cliches.

7/10

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-17-observer-review

Observer review
Hauer of reckoning.

jpg

recommended-large-net.png

A splendid hybrid of CSI, cyberpunk and Silent Hill woven around a potent central performance, spoiled a bit by unconvincing scare tactics.

Bloober Team's Layers of Fear gave you a 19th century mansion in a state of continual, terrible reassembly, its furnishings switching places behind your back, its rooms expanding and contracting like the chambers of a heart. Observer gives you an entire apartment block, lifted from contemporary Krakow and teleported into a cyberpunk dystopia unabashedly pilfered from Blade Runner. It, too, delights in how the familiar might be rendered horrible, with certain objects and layouts reappearing in ever more nightmarish guises as you progress through its seven hour plot, but it also casts its net a little wider, to encompass a world in which the digital has displaced and eroded the physical - a world that isn't so much the grim future as present-day neglect, alienation and torment fed through an amplifier. In Observer, surfaces don't merely shapeshift when out of view but fester visibly with computational ephemera, lines of green code crawling across doorframes and wallpaper, asserting the geometry of rooms, corridors and tunnels even where the brickwork beneath has rotted away.

We've seen these kinds of ambient AR flourishes many times before, of course - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Tom Clancy's The Division are two parallels that occur off the top of my head - and you could argue that Observer's portrayal is laboured, stagey: there's an overabundance of cathode-ray TVs displaying fizzy close-ups of twitching mouths and eyes, for example. But few games set in the overlap between digital and architectural space entwine their motifs as brilliantly, and if the surgery is messy, that's to the purpose. Observer is a game that makes what is essentially a building-wide wifi network feel profoundly unclean, like something you want to scrub off, hack out even as you make use of various invasive technologies to further the story.

jpg

There's a strong whiff of Condemned: Criminal Origins and the F.E.A.R. series to Observer's blend of waking daydream and grimy reality, but no combat.
As Bertie discovered earlier this year, one of the great surprises with Observer is that it's secretly a detective game. As Daniel Lazarski, an ageing snoop with a headful of forensic gadgetry, you travel to an apartment block to investigate a mysterious message from your estranged son. Shortly after you arrive, certain events trigger a lockdown, leaving Daniel to explore the cramped, winding structure, knocking on doors and picking over grisly crime scenes using two vision modes - one for analysis of mechanisms, the other for organic evidence such as blood spatter.

The building's initial big attraction is its courtyard, a mass of puddled concrete swarming with pigeons, where you'll peer up at stunning cyberpunk megastructures swathed in holographic mist and linked by intestinal ropes of circuitry. As with much else, that gorgeous vista alters subtly and not-so-subtly in the course of the game; it harbours details that become relevant down the line. The location's greatest asset, however, proves to be its mostly unseen civilian population - a collection of lost souls you'll chat to through intercoms, experimenting with aggressive or diplomatic dialogue options as you try to work out what your wayward son is up to.

The people in question are a diverse, sympathetic and, give or take the odd dose of schlock or sentimentality, engagingly written bunch, each naturally doubling as a window on the universe beyond the building's crumbling facades. You'll speak to widows about loved ones quarantined by the state during an outbreak of cyborg brain disease, and ask ogreish fathers about their misbehaving kids. You'll talk (well, providing you're feeling kind) a reclusive young man through a fit of claustrophobia, and press the neighbourhood pervert for his thoughts on a female neighbour. Many of these interactions are optional, and some pay into a small clutch of well-wrought side cases with several possible outcomes. The over-arching plot isn't boundary-breaking for a cyberpunk tale, but it's competently woven and, in any case, plays second fiddle to the grubby nuances of the dialogue and set-dressing.

jpg

As with Deus Ex under Eidos Montreal, the game's art direction is very fond of renaissance art and portraiture.

While gossiping with the residents you'll also get to know Lazarksi himself, played by Rutger Hauer in one of the few examples of a celebrity tie-in that actually adds to the experience. Part of the thrill, of course, is essentially playing Roy from Blade Runner in the role of his nemesis, Deckard, but Hauer also lends a distinctive texture to the part - by turns detached, baleful, kindly and bemused. Among the script's virtues is its terseness: Lazarksi talks to himself while piecing together evidence, but this is always atmospheric rather than intrusive.

Where conversation and old-fashioned detective work aren't enough, you'll fall back on Lazarski's signature trick as one of the eponymous Observers - the ability to jack somebody's brain and relive their memories as a series of vivid hallucinations. It in these hallucinations that the game skews most towards straight-up horror and alas, loses its way a little. There are some great unifying themes, admittedly. One stand-out is a memory inspired by werewolf movies where you must choose repeatedly between the luminous silhouette of a deer and a garish red door. Another is a room that harkens back to the sumptuous, gentrified decor of Layers of Fear, where you must twiddle a radio dial to set a ghastly animation in motion.

The scares themselves, however, are largely hackneyed - think distant screaming and grating sounds, faces that warp obscenely as you approach, being teleported without warning and entities that judder in place before flying into fast-forward - a nod to the psychedelic imagery of Jacob's Ladder. The visual metaphors may be eye-catching but there's much less of the precision and restraint you find in Frictional's Amnesia games (the latter's Soma, a game I can't seem to stop recommending in reviews of other games, is also a more convincing meditation on many of Observer's core philosophical quandaries). Least enticing of all are the episodes where you must avoid a roving foe, ducking behind objects and scurrying for the exit while your adversary is at the other end of its patrol path - fortunately, the checkpointing is generous.

jpg

Forensic investigation aside, there are a few somewhat generic keycode puzzles to wrangle with - these never feel forced, however.

It's just as well, then, that you've always got that apartment block to return to, with its bodiless voices and creeping decrepitude, its cavernous, neon-slicked skyline and spectral ebb and flow of projections. As a vehicle for terror, Observer isn't quite up there with the best the genre has to offer, but as an excavation of an environment that is writhing with the internet's effluence, a space that manages to feel at once suffocating and vast, ornate and putrid, it has few equals.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/18/observer-review/

Wot I Think: Observer
Adam Smith on August 18th, 2017 at 5:00 pm.

observeheader-620x304.jpg

In Observer [official site], AKA David Cronenberg’s Bladerunner, Rutger Hauer is having a very bad day. It begins with a phone call, some family problems, and ends in blood and regret. Hauer lends his voice to the player character, who is the titular Observer, a special kind of cop who can jack into suspects’ memories, hopes and fears as a means of interrogation. To do so, he inserts a cable into a chip lodged in their brain and connects it to his own gray matter.

Around a quarter of the way through this particular grim night, he dives into the mind of a person who has just died, an act of necro-hacking that is totally against protocol. That’s when things get really weird.

For most of its slender running time, Observer is a masterclass in cyberpunk horror. You’re in the dirt and the grime and the grease, elbows deep in the detritus of a society that discards its poor and sickly. The apartment block in the Stacks where you spend the majority of your time is a finely crafted slice of life (and death), brilliantly gesturing toward an entire world beyond itself, while at the same time acting as a perfect claustrophobic warren of inescapable nightmares.

observe2-620x348.jpg

Within that warren, you set up crime scenes, using methods vaguely reminiscent of the Batman Arkham games. Instead of a magical detective cowl you rely on implants that allow you to scan for tech or biological matter. There are key items to find at each important scene but there’s a wealth of detail to explore – the apartments are so convincing as recreations of lived-in places that you can almost smell them.

Everything plays out from a first-person perspective, and as you’re looking for clues, the UI of your implant’s visual filters will tag and then discard items in the beautifully filthy environments. Maybe it considers drawing your attention to a microwave or a puddle of grease, and it’ll draw a fuzzy box around them before passing over, marking them to be ‘ignored’. It’s this kind of detail that makes the game such a pleasure and it carries through to every carton and keyboard. There’s so much repurposed and recognisable technology, and so many relics of the early twenty-first century still in use.

observe6-620x312.jpg

Every single piece of body-mod tech in the game feels like a compromise, whether it’s the sagging and flaking prosthetics of a war veteran with a broken mind and body, or the flickers and distortions that interfere with your own vision. Observer doesn’t need heavy doses of exposition because it trusts its players to read the world and characters rather than relying on dumps of data. Only a few conversations are necessary to complete the game and the majority take place through intercoms because a lockdown has trapped all of the tenants in their apartments. Through these short conversations you can learn about the police, the megacorp on much of the marketing, politics, the role of robots in the world, VR, drugs, and personal stories as well.

I’d gone in expecting a “mind-hack insane criminals and experience their terrifying delusions” sort of game, but this is a far sadder and stranger story. Sometimes its notes of empathy don’t quite ring true – a ‘sexbot’ admonishes Hauer when he tells it (her?) that he won’t bother saying goodbye, “Because that would humanise me?” But there is heart and as ugly as the violence gets, it’s never meaningless. Cruel, yes, but coloured by regret and desperation rather than glee or titillation. The actual act of mind-jacking is seen by many of the people you speak to as a violation not just of their rights but of their entire character. The Observer is not a pleasant protagonist.

The main difference between our world and the future version of Krakow ties into augmentations, but they’ve changed the world through perception rather than through practical changes to the body. That’s the case in the Stacks, at least, where the lowest class of citizens live (they’re actually categorised into a class). Public spaces are a glow of adverts that are often indistinguishable from propaganda – the implants allow targeted marketing to become part of the scenery on every wall and street corner, and even in the corridors of the apartment block.

observe5-620x323.jpg

You’re never sure if the things you’re seeing are real or superimposed onto reality by an implant, but because Observer just provides this way of seeing the world without explaining it, you’ll quickly stop worrying about that distinction. Just as in life, miraculous and/or terrifying technology quickly becomes a normal part of the human experience. If you can see it, it’s real, even if you can’t touch it.

As you might expect, this being a horror game, you can’t trust the evidence of your eyes (and implants) for the entire duration. So much of the game is about perception and it’s during the first mind-jack, when you enter a dying man’s mind, that the developers really start to play with the visuals. You replay the key moments of this man’s life, building up to the moment he died, and scenes collapse, reconstruct, deconstruct and loop around you. It’s spectacular and even if there’s sometimes a sense that these sections are primarily a lightshow rather than an interactive narrative, when the lightshow is this good, I’m OK with that.

And outside of the mindjack segments there are puzzles to solve, and there are horrors to outrun and evade within them. The moments when the monsters become more explicit are few and far between – and the reality-shifting means their exact nature is unclear – but the very occasional stealth sections are when the game hits its lowest points. They’re brief, thankfully, but as in Frictional Games’ SOMA, Observer is much more interesting when it engages with its world and has you study and recoil from it, rather than when it’s putting on a gory Halloween mask and chasing you down a corridor.

observe1-620x352.jpg

It’s a shame that some of the more blatant and tired horror aspects detract from the actual horror of the science fiction. The most frightening scene in the entire game involves a memory of a job interview. It’s like a Voight-Kampff test that is trying to distinguish social worth rather than humanity, but the results might be just as damning. A credit check for the soul.

There are more grisly terrors though, including some extreme body horror that made me flinch (in a good way) and some stock infernal imagery that made me frown (in a bad way). Mostly it’s strong work.

observe3-620x348.jpg

Observer is a gem, but a gem with very obvious flaws. These range from fiddly things that bother me just enough to mention them, like the dialogue options being off-centre and the pixel-sized targeting reticule used to select them often blending into the scenery. Then there’s the time I confused the game and myself by completing two objectives in an unexpected order, leading to a bit of backtracking as I made sure every prompt had been triggered.

Feedback is occasionally a problem. Tasked with investigating the apartment of a “noisy neighbour” by one of the tenants, I entered the place to find buckets of blood and décor that Leatherface and family would deem “a little bit distasteful and OTT”. Rutger didn’t monologue about it though, as if he’d seen nothing out of the ordinary. To tick the investigation off my list of tasks, and to have Rutger respond at all, I had to find a specific switch that opened up a safe with more specific evidence of wrongdoing.

observe4-620x325.jpg

I can take occasionally clumsy design when it’s backed by such fantastic imagery and world-building, all in the service of a story worth playing through to the grisly end.

While I was playing, I kept thinking back to my conversation with Cyberpunk 2020 creator Mike Pondsmith. This, I think, is a cyberpunk game that captures the social and political aspects of the genre, as well as the body horror and the credibility of the tech. What it doesn’t have is the cool factor, and that’s because we’re only shown one part of the world – a part where everything has gone to hell and where nobody wants to draw attention to themselves. It’s the Cronenbergian cyberpunk game I never knew I wanted, and it’s shot right into my top ten of the year so far.

Observer is out now for Windows, via gog and Steam, for £22.99.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
I'm still only a short way in but it's sort of disappointing that it doesn't live up to its potential. Some of the mindfuckery is pretty well made and is genuinely clever at times. It's just that the game relies too much on it so that it feels very gimmicky a lot of the time. Meanwhile, the "real world" investigations have great atmosphere and stuff but is just... clicking things, there is no real investigation there.

If they had cut down some of the horror mindfuck stuff (keep some of it because it's pretty cool at times) and had made the investigation part into some actual gameplay then it could've been a pretty awesome game. Now it's just... pretty cool and well made but still a disappointment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
oof: http://www.pcgamer.com/observer-review/

OBSERVER REVIEW

Observer is set in Poland in the year 2084, which isn't an exact century after 1984 by coincidence. Poland in 2084 is an Orwellian dystopia, especially the city of Krakow which at least in this game seems more fun to say than to visit. Krakow. Rubbish squats in corners. Propaganda posters and ads for products made by the all-powerful Chiron corporation are everywhere and interchangeable (they're also in Polish, though English appears when you mouse over). When you step outside a curfew announcement plays as a flying car disturbs a flock of pigeons and animated billboards flicker. It's cyberpunk as all get-out.

Specifically it's Blade Runner, even down to having Rutger Hauer voice the protagonist. He's Dan Lazarski, a neural cop or 'Observer' able to hack into people's brainchips and relive their memories in a way that's super invasive and also kind of inefficient. When you dive into someone's skull you experience their subconscious as a jumble of cut-up memories and visual metaphors for their emotional state. It's part Snatcher, part Psychonauts, part spooky hallway walking. But its surrealness is only effective to a point, one I reached quickly.

Minimum headroom
In the mind of a dying murder victim I relive entering his apartment like I did in reality moments before. The instant I step in something smashes through the window—then time rewinds and that object flies back through suddenly repaired glass. Past the entrance I loop, finding myself outside the apartment, and re-enter. The layout's different this time, with nonsensical touches like a tap pouring water onto a chair and a door opening onto a blank cement wall covered in tally marks, like a jail cell. That's how I learn this man spent time in prison, and still feels trapped in his daily life.

Observer is made by the same team as horror game Layers of Fear, and if its spooky hallways worked on you so will these. When your movement speed is increased to a run so that you feel pursued through looping rooms, when you walk across a platform over an abyss and swarming birds squawk upwards around you, in those moments the surrealness of Observer is effective.

Outside people's heads it's a combat-free adventure game minus inventory puzzles. You scan crime scenes for clues with cybernetic eyes, interrogate apartment dwellers through vidscreen doors, and solve basic puzzles. It's very atmospheric, focused on one small location, a run-down tenement and a couple of nearby buildings which Dan comes to looking for his estranged son before stumbling across multiple murders.

Spotlighting this small area for its six-to-eleven hours means Observer evokes a strong sense of place. There are exposed pipes everywhere, cascades of broken AR data curtaining off walls, a janitor with busted prosthetics, all details that work to make the setting feel mundane and broken. It's a deliberate contrast to the fanciful dreamscapes. When the two bleed together, like when Dan's own memories intrude on the minds of others, or reality (filtered through his cyber eyes and brain implants) starts to glitch in ways familiar from those dreams it's genuinely shocking.

Ghost in the hell

That's Observer at its best, a grimy cyberpunk detective story that veers into extended flights of fancy, Blade Runner if the unicorn bits made up half the runtime. But Observer isn't always at its best. Those flights of fancy drag on and don't always have much to say. Straight after the prison wall moment there's a laundry room where piles of computer equipment and clothes glitch into different positions. It's not telling you anything interesting about the character, it's just a visual effect that looks kind of cool. After seeing a bunch of those in a row I stopped being able to process the novelty.

It doesn't help that they're structured so much like every first-person horror game about walking down halls towards spooky doors. In Observer you open doors by clicking on them then pushing or pulling just like in Amnesia, a cute technique for emphasising the dread of finding out what's on the other side, but so much of Observer is opening doors to look into another weird room that it's numbing. Eventually it stops being able to disguise how much you're just holding down W to walk past weird stuff.

Livening up the dreams are cat-and-mouse sequences in which you have to sneak past something that kills you if you're seen, pushing you back to the last checkpoint. The first couple of these work fine, but like so much of Observer they're overused, and autofail stealth shoehorned into non-stealth games isn't something I had much patience for to begin with. The entire climax of Observer is one of these, and it detracts so much from the story's final twists.

Observer has a few other flaws as well—it uses 'jump scares', obscures its visuals with chromatic aberration, sometimes judders even on high-end graphics cards, only allows for one savegame—and while those might be dealbreakers for some they didn't particularly bug me. What really undid Observer for me, beyond pulling the same tricks out of its bag over and over, is that it boils down to a familiar family story. We never get to see Dan's job when he's out there being a corporate-sponsored cybercop who hacks brains, because minutes into Observer he gets a call from a son he hasn't seen in years and races off to find him. It engages with potentially rich themes about surveillance and privacy only superficially, because Dan's motivation is a relatable one. He's not a tool of the state today, he's a concerned father. He's not Deckard in Blade Runner, he's Liam Neeson in Taken, and that's less interesting. Observer makes me feel like a parent myself, in that I'm not mad at it—just disappointed.

THE VERDICT

OBSERVER
Brainhacking will blow your mind, but you'll want to get the cop out of your head by the end.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished the game and wrote a Steam review.

Recommended
7.9 hrs last two weeks / 7.9 hrs on record
Posted: Dec 9 @ 12:37am

"Yes, with a but." I'm glad I played this, but man, there is a lot to complain about. This is like watching a pretty good cyberpunk movie with solid script, great performances and good direction, but overlong with criminally bad editing and a crappy ending.

----

The good:

• Atmosphere. Bloober Team had a very strong vision and it was realized perfectly. This IS cyberpunk. It's got that great darkness to it that only Eastern Europe can really nail.

• Art. This is part of why the atmosphere is so convincing. I feel like this looks exactly how they wanted it to.

• Acting. It may be obvious to state, but Rutger Hauer is great in this role. Even though he is in his 70s now, he delivers hard. I really liked the character. Other actors are also convincing, funny, weird, scary, etc. and direction is excellent.

• Writing. I was interested in watching things unfold, discovering the reasons behind everything that happened, learning the stories of the various characters. Towards the end everything is explained pretty well and there are some good twists.

• Investigations. You have different "bionic eye" forensic vision modes, for scanning technology (e.g. bionic implants, tools and devices) or biological matter (e.g. bloodstains). The crime scene sequences are fairly linear, but there are a lot of little things to scan and you might miss some of them, so when you find them it feels good.

The bad:

• Trippy. This game is WAY too trippy for way too long. Through the Observer's neural interface, our hero is able to explore the subconscious minds of those he connects with. There are many of these "dream" sequences throughout the game and they all drag on for what feels like hours.

For example, your first "Observation": I get it, this guy went to prison and it was unpleasant, I don't need a 20 minute sequence of walking through a prison-themed maze with lots of monitors showing giant eyeballs looking at me.

Some of these sections have solid, interesting story info, but it is buried deep under endless running through halls of weird meaningless stuff. I get it, computer screens filled with static are cyberpunky, electronic items jumping around like they're alive is disturbing, it's ugly when the walls are made of human intestines, but none of this actually says anything and I get the point after 5 minutes.

On top of that, your character seems to be getting on in years and his implants are old and buggy, so ... sometimes he seems to be hallucinating, or his vision glitches out. Basically things look really weird a lot of the time, and once it's clear that you can't trust what you see, nothing matters any more and it's no longer disturbing when something really weird happens.

• Length. Goes with what I said about being too trippy. The artists did great work and I think the team wanted to show it ALL off. The game should be half this length; it feels like it never occurred to them to edit anything out and every idea was thrown in, regardless of relevance or coherence. "How about a flying TV that cries like a baby and follows you around for half an hour?" "Perfect, let's do it!"

• Super linear. Despite having an entire apartment building to explore, the sense of exploration is minimal. There is a lot of nosing around, but it's all about either finding the next story point or finding dead ends. Some dead ends lead to entertaining conversations with apartment residents, and these are fun because the acting and writing are good, but they don't detract from the sense of watching a movie instead of playing a game. In a game, you can develop a playstyle and figure out how you want to approach things. Aside from one or two optional missions, you really have no choice how to play this.

• Weak tension. Firstly, a good horror game makes the player feel isolated, but this takes place in a crowded apartment building. You never see the residents wandering the halls, but ring a doorbell and you can have a nice long conversation any time.

Secondly, and even more damningly, since there are no conflict mechanics in the game (i.e. you can pretty much only be hurt in cutscenes), it's hard to feel scared no matter how dark it is, or how loud a sudden sound is, or if a monster appears for a moment in a flash of light. Bloober loves putting these jump scares in, but after the first one or two, I just didn't care because what could happen?

• The ending. Just after the last reveal where the story gets really interesting and a fascinating conflict is introduced, the game simply ends, with the weak resolution completely scripted (there is a decision point which determines which one of two endings you'll see, but they are effectively the same and neither is satisfying).

----

So that's it. There's plenty worth seeing here, mired in filler and without player agency. Again, I'm glad I experienced this game, for the performances and the writing (except the end). If you want to check out the story and don't mind trudging through the repetitive parts, go for it. If you like to take drugs and play through trippy shit you'll love this. If you're the kind of person who watches games on YouTube instead of buying them, you're a bad person but this game is ideally suited for that.

I received this as a gift so price wasn't an issue. I would NOT recommend this at $30, no way. Wait for a sale or bundle, $10 max.

P.S. If you do play it, make sure to look up how to edit the .ini files to fix the field of view. I increased mine to 95.
TLDR: This is like watching a pretty good cyberpunk movie with solid script, great performances and good direction, but overlong with criminally bad editing and a crappy ending.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
I've played about half of the game and I'm done. The game is poorly designed, and Zombra's review above covers most of it, so there's not much else to say. I wish the game had chapter select to skip all the guff, or even a re-release that removes all the bad parts. Right now the game is probably better experienced on Youtube.
Sadly there's also no polish voice acting, although the game is clearly in Poland. I get they have to appeal to the global market but it's a shame nonetheless.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Get a first look at some of the new features in Observer: System Redux! One of the scariest cyberpunk stories has been rebuilt and augmented for the next generation.

Veteran Observers can dive deeper into this dystopian reality thanks to expanded gameplay and brand-new story content, while newcomers will get the chance to experience this cyberpunk thriller in all its chilling next-gen glory.

Considered one of the scariest games currently available, and one the best cyberpunk games coming to next-generation consoles, System Redux is the definitive vision of this thriller tale, coming for the 2020 holiday season.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hmmm: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...berpunk-rpg-set-in-xxii-century/posts/2813715

Introducing Observer System Redux - Game we're co-developing with Bloober Team

ff836f75a7be0c4e7caab7f8469025fa_original.png

Hi there, everyone!

As an Indie company with a track record of doing third-party work for top-studios, we want to add another game to our portfolio.

Yesterday's announcement of Observer: System Redux had significant meaning for our Studio. We're proud to inform you that we're co-developing Observer: System Redux for Next-Gen consoles, and together with Bloober Team, we will be amongst the first studios to set a flag on the uncharted seas of the new generation consoles.

For those who never had the chance to try the Observer, we want to quickly introduce you to the plot.

The future has turned out much darker than anyone could imagine. First, there was the Nanophage - a digital plague that killed thousands upon thousands of those who chose to augment their minds and bodies.

Then came the War, leaving both the West and the East decimated and shattered. With no one left to seize power, corporations took over and forged their own crooked empires.

You are a tool of corporate oppression. Feared and despised, you hack into the darkest corners of your suspects’ minds. You creep into their dreams, expose their fears, and extract whatever your investigation may require.

You are an Observer.

4e81a4d1eb85b02af1470713d52a0644_original.png

Observer: System Redux is the Definitive Edition rebuilt and upgraded for the Next-Gens; it will take augmented visuals, gameplay, and story to the next level, which our team is also responsible for.

Observer and Gamedec have a lot in common when it comes to engaging history, cyberpunk climates, and above all - the detective protagonist – this is why we’re excited to work on yet another project touching our beloved genre. The team collaborating with the Next-Gen version of the Observer is independent of the team working on Gamedec, which means that the quality of our game will not be affected by this team-up in any way.

We are happy that our knowledge and skills have been appreciated in the form of co-development of the Observer: System Redux and that we can help introduce this project into the world of Next-Gens. Each circumstance of developing games in the cyberpunk genre allows us to improve. So, if you know any fans interested in playing Observer on upcoming platforms or ones who like to solve cases in the cyberpunk world - we invite them to also support our Gamedec campaign and follow us on our social media channels.

Watch our Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube channel for more. If you’d like to talk with our team or want to ask a question to the Author of the Gamedecverse (Marcin S. Przybyłek) and chat with enthusiasts like you - join our Discord channel.

As always, a big Thank You,

from #TeamGamedec

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom