Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mad Max game from Avalanche Studios

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Might be so. Never played Just Cause games.
:shunthenonbeliever:

If this was anything like Just Cause (which it unfortunately doesn't seem to be), I would :d1p: it immediately.

Just Cause 2 had a shit, horrible storyline but each of its missions had fun and interesting level design and setpieces, is this thing just a poor's man Just Cause 2 with alot of sand as it look like?
well, just cause 2's plot was meant to have shit, horrible storyline.
come on, the main character fights tanks on top of skyscrapers and chases a bad guy jumping from missile to missile.
you can't think it was serious.

DeepOcean

Arcane
come on, the main character fights tanks on top of skyscrapers and chases a bad guy jumping from missile to missile.
No, I didn't take it seriously, I hate the game for it at the start but when I got what the game was about I just got okay with it. I loved Just Cause 2, I just wanted to know if they had enough stuff on this game for it to be different from Ubisoft The GameTM like Just Cause 2.

Notorious

Augur
People bought this game on here? I mean seriously open world game 0815.

If you conceive something being a piece of shit it's still shit. (And I played through jc2)

Deakul

Augur
This might be the worst open world game I've played since Mafia 2 or LA Noire.

It's literally nothing but tedious grinding and missed opportunities and horribly gated upgrades.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I must say I really like the game, the car customisation is surprisingly fun as well as the combat and while the game is kind of grindy it fits its setting very well. The melee is ok, maybe the fact that I dont play these open world kind of games often kept things fresh for me. It is the definition of a better thsn average game; it doesnt do anything particulary innovative or new but the game is better than the sum of its parts and the setting is simply one of my favorites so it gets a pass on most of its problems. One of my favorite things is that the wasteland doesnt feel static, the convoys and scrap trucks you can run into in the middle of the way to a mission are great fun and can really change my plans in a hurry. I really hope the game is selling well but coming against Metal Gear must be tough.

Renevent

Cipher
I must say I really like the game, the car customisation is surprisingly fun as well as the combat and while the game is kind of grindy it fits its setting very well. The melee is ok, maybe the fact that I dont play these open world kind of games often kept things fresh for me. It is the definition of a better thsn average game; it doesnt do anything particulary innovative or new but the game is better than the sum of its parts and the setting is simply one of my favorites so it gets a pass on most of its problems. One of my favorite things is that the wasteland doesnt feel static, the convoys and scrap trucks you can run into in the middle of the way to a mission are great fun and can really change my plans in a hurry. I really hope the game is selling well but coming against Metal Gear must be tough.

I think Metal Gear killed it in sales, unfortunately. I agree with you, I had a lot of fun with Mad Max much more so than most open world games including GTA. That being said, I've done all the camps, and reduced all the required areas to 0 that unlock upgrades and think I'm pretty much done with the game...I think it took me roughly 30 hours.

Baron

Arcane
I know where the land mines are.

2015-09-16_00001%20-%20Copy_zpsdhpxposi.jpg~original

The War Boys don't...

RuySan

Augur
Bought this for cheap and I echo most of the sentiments here.

Absolutely gorgeous game, and with such satisfying driving is already a winner for me.

The melee combat is absolutely shit tough. It's the same glorified qte that put me off sleeping dogs

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Excellent game. :salute:

...for the first 10 hours or so. Then the boredom sets in when you look at the map and think 'Fuck me I've got loads of the map left just doing the exact same shit I've been doing for the last 10 hours."

Avalanche peaked with Just Cause 3, (although I'm prepared to admit a lot would say JC2), but this game is a prime example of why open world games should not focus on amount of content, but amount of varied and interesting content.

RuySan

Augur
Don't understand the complain that the game is repetitive. Isn't doom or wizardry repetitive? Or even pac-man?

As long as the core gameplay is good what's the problem. Played this to the end and absolutely loved it. I agree the melee combat is kinda crap but tolerable. Everything else is absolutely glorious.

Ash

Arcane
Don't understand the complain that the game is repetitive. Isn't doom or wizardry repetitive? Or even pac-man?

Damn you cuckdex and your decline threads.

No. Doom has a good quality : content : variance ratio. Everything it presents you with is engaging and varied, be it slaying monsters, exploration and navigation of its levels, and solving of its occasional puzzles. Each level presents new challenges, new moment-to-moment gameplay, and sometimes new art direction, and most importantly no opportunity is wasted. It doesn't have "combat that is kinda crap but tolerable", for instance. The core gameplay truly is good. While it still can get repetitive with time as with any game it should be good enough to thoroughly hold your attention for your first playthrough at the very least.

Pacman on the other hand is repetitive as shit, but it is a very old arcade game and you don't exactly expect more from it.

Sad thing is, these open world AAA action-adventure games had a p.good formula down in the early-mid 2000s. GTA:San Andreas/Vice City, GUN, Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, Destroy All Humans 2 etc. They weren't perfect but they were a far cry from these Assassin's Creed, Batman, GTAV, Sleeping Dogs banal collectathons/working class simulators/bread crumb trailers/glorified QTE games. But of course it's just another genre steeped in decline.

Last edited:

RuySan

Augur
The only way someone can say that San Andreas is better than Mad Max is through a time context. For me, objectively it isn't. GTA games made an impression for it's size and sandbox mechanics which were somewhat new in the mainstream. The core gameplay was pretty shit, and both SA and Vice City were filled with boring quests.

There's no way you can compare mad max to the assassin's creed games, and this goes back to the core gameplay. In AC games nothing is particularly good, and plots are ridiculous. I really liked Mad Max unpretentious plot, and some of the locales in the game were just amazing to look and explore (e.g. the airport and the church in the dunes). Yes, the game isn't perfect because of the on foot combat, but the driving man....the driving is truly great.

As long as the core gameplay is good what's the problem. Played this to the end and absolutely loved it. I agree the melee combat is kinda crap but tolerable. Everything else is absolutely glorious.
yes, basically everything in the universe can be repetitive, but now let's introduce the concept of "outstaying your welcome": some game mechanics are more entertaining, deep, interesting than others. some last weeks, months, years, some outstay their welcome and become repetitive after a short while.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
They lost me at the trailer, when "Max" stepped on the lizard for spite.
[No sale]

Ezekiel

Arcane
Mad Max's biggest crime is not having thrilling chases. It doesn't feel like the movies. Your car can't even flip over, there are no motorcycles, no monster trucks, no big rigs (except in one mission, if I remeber correctly), cars only flip and get shredded after you've grinded down their health bars, the foot soldiers (as I remember) can only climb the hood if your car... It's never exciting.

The story was also pretty dull for a Mad Max, with such bland characters. So, it failed to do both of the things I want from Mad Max.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Yep the novelty wore off after a while. If there's one thing good to come out of the game though, it's the soundtrack. I use it for post-apoc PnP games that I run. Works very well with Atomic Highway.

Morkar Left

Mad Max's biggest crime is not having thrilling chases. It doesn't feel like the movies. Your car can't even flip over, there are no motorcycles, no monster trucks, no big rigs (except in one mission, if I remeber correctly), cars only flip and get shredded after you've grinded down their health bars, the foot soldiers (as I remember) can only climb the hood if your car... It's never exciting.

The story was also pretty dull for a Mad Max, with such bland characters. So, it failed to do both of the things I want from Mad Max.

You can flip over. A lot. Almost too much. It's in the options menu. And chases are enough there, too. But yes, a story driven chase I would have preferred. Maybe even in the opposite direction; defending a convoy would have been cool. Motorcycles would have been cool, too.

But the main problem is the weak difficulty and not being able to tweak some settings (health, water, gasoline isn't important, aggressiveness of enemies, leveling up to unimportant, upgrading strongholds too easy / too much impact by lessining the difficulty etc.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom