Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I finish wiz7 3 times (with wiz6 party - for ring, new party and solo). Only dans (monks) was partially hostle and partially friendly, and, if my memory serves me, they either disappeared, or became neutral after meditation in monastery. Umpuny was friendly, T-rang - was friendly after talking with queen (and became hostle after killing her). Rattkin was сompletely hostle, except two NPC. But their friendliness (as well as the king of the orcs) is explained by the situation.

There are more than enough random encounters where you fight Umpani and T'Rang, even if you are friendly with them. The same thing as in Grimoire.

And in principle, to hell with them, the main thing is that there are no factions and i cant screw anything here.

There are factions in Grimoire, but for that you need to get out of the first areas. Again, just like in Wizardry 7.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1. Where do I find the answers to puzzles on a chest and a pedestal in Saltwyrm caves? (want direction, not solutions)

OK, I figured out the pedestal thanks to the rsf unpacker, but...

just how I am supposed to figure it out that Jaqque is interested in deep one totem? even mindread didn't bring it up! Viata ?
Even GlibGlob is not helpful, he just says "it's the same figures as in our ritual" and that's it - how am I supposed to know what happens in their ritual without getting Jaqque interested?

I pretty much gave Jaqque everything in my inventory when I realized he was a good SuperIdentifyer.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So has anyone actually managed to close the Skulheim second pit?

The hint says N.S.E.W, so I am presuming the switches need to be set according to that (whatever it means)

But the button still gets stuck and nothing happens.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
So has anyone actually managed to close the Skulheim second pit?

The hint says N.S.E.W, so I am presuming the switches need to be set according to that (whatever it means)

But the button still gets stuck and nothing happens.

I managed to do it, the button didn't get stuck for me. Start with the switch on the door side.

mondblut

Arcane
If I could re-do my party, I'd go with two berserkers in the front-line instead of a warrior and a berserker, and with two rangers in the second line instead of a ranger and a thief. I don't think warriors have any advantage over berserkers, who not only have berserk but more importantly the all-powerful lethal blow skill. And rangers similarly have the lethal blow skill and are much better fighters than thieves, with the only downside being a lack of lock-picking --- but I could have used my Sage for lock-picking anyway.

And I'd change the race of my Drow wizard(ess) to something that doesn't take an annoyingly long time to regain mana. :argh:

If I replay, I'll go with 4 berserkers, 2 rangers, bard and sage. The only problem is it's fucking hard to savescum 4 levelups at once :despair:

mondblut

Arcane
1. Where do I find the answers to puzzles on a chest and a pedestal in Saltwyrm caves? (want direction, not solutions)

OK, I figured out the pedestal thanks to the rsf unpacker, but...

just how I am supposed to figure it out that Jaqque is interested in deep one totem? even mindread didn't bring it up! Viata ?
Even GlibGlob is not helpful, he just says "it's the same figures as in our ritual" and that's it - how am I supposed to know what happens in their ritual without getting Jaqque interested?
Well, I tried to show it to Neriad, given that she lives in the sea, but she was just scared of it. Nick just ignored it. Then, by elimination, the next person near that place was Jaqque, so I just showed it to him. Remember you said you stole a book from him? That book is Pierre's diary, which explains how to solve this puzzle. I was not able to join Pierre's group so I was unable to ask things to Pierre, but I do think that if you are able to join Pierre's group, mindreading him should show deep one totem, which would probably make Pierre tell you that Jaqque has the answer.

Ahh, so I still jumped ahead of myself then. All right, we'll see what Pierre has to say.

mondblut

Arcane
I'm stuck in an exploration conundrum...

in the Bowels of Samhain and the Samhain Underworld. I searched high and low and cannot for the life of me find the book for Eulogy Tribute to hand in to Dirge. Did I miss a secret square somewhere in the bowels or am I just ultra retarded? I've done just about everything that I can get my hands on here. Do I need to go up the mountainside to find the book or something? I've only gone up there for a bit and found that old knight that has something to do with the mausoleum but fuck if I'm gonna go grind through those monster cubbies right now...

Everything is in the Bowels, I am sure of it. Cast locate item.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Okay, fuck. Those nosferatu-like vampires can, apparently permanently, drain your strength when they hit you. Just confirmed this. :negative:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
How do I rescue the princess without dragging her along with my party? She says if her father would know that her prison is open, he'd send soldiers to fetch her. The king also said that I should ring the bell in the tower to make his soldiers come in and help me, but I haven't encountered them despite ringing the bell.

Do I have to take her along and kick out one of my own chars? Wtf?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Tastefully rape her...Then just kill her.

Honestly, I dont know :)

Zep--

ukdouble1

Educated
The skills in the game are increasing in an amazing way. In Wizardry 6-8 the probability of increasing the skill was inversely proportional to its magnitude. Here, the likelihood of increasing the skill does not depend on its size, but is tied to its successful implementation.
But the higher the skill, the more likely it will work . Thus, at low values, skills do not grow much, but then increase faster and faster. That is, every skill needs to be pushed, and it is accelerated itself. This seems somewhat unnatural.

Viata

Arcane
I had to do that. Also, thanks to bug the only time you are able to encounter her is when you meet her, eve after you take her to the palace, you don't encounter her anymore. That bug may be the reason you have to take her there.

Lord Andre

Arcane
What happens if I give a spell to someone and it's not on their spell list ?

For example, if I give armorplate to my sage will it be covered by his sorcery skill or will he have trouble casting it at higher power levels ?

Tigranes

Arcane
How do rings work?

Rings with spell charges, do you equip them and use them? Can you actually Use on equipped items in combat? Or do you use them from inventory like wands, which would be weird? Or is it a proc % to fire while worn? I've tried wearing them and they never seem to do much.

Ring pro Fire / Frost / Magic, I assume general power/resistance ups?

Lord Andre

Arcane
How do rings work?

Rings with spell charges, do you equip them and use them? Can you actually Use on equipped items in combat? Or do you use them from inventory like wands, which would be weird? Or is it a proc % to fire while worn? I've tried wearing them and they never seem to do much.

Ring pro Fire / Frost / Magic, I assume general power/resistance ups?

I have a stun rod with 25 charges, once equipped it procs a stun on a successful hit. At the end of the battle the number of procs is subtracted from the number of charges. Can't "use" it directly. Perhaps something similar happens with rings.

Magic ring gives flat bonus to AC, fire/frost gives resistance.

Edit: perhaps ring charges proc if doing hand to hand ? just spitballing here... would like to know the answer as well...

Dominae

Educated
If I could re-do my party, I'd go with two berserkers in the front-line instead of a warrior and a berserker, and with two rangers in the second line instead of a ranger and a thief. I don't think warriors have any advantage over berserkers, who not only have berserk but more importantly the all-powerful lethal blow skill. And rangers similarly have the lethal blow skill and are much better fighters than thieves, with the only downside being a lack of lock-picking --- but I could have used my Sage for lock-picking anyway.

And I'd change the race of my Drow wizard(ess) to something that doesn't take an annoyingly long time to regain mana. :argh:

If I replay, I'll go with 4 berserkers, 2 rangers, bard and sage. The only problem is it's fucking hard to savescum 4 levelups at once :despair:

Ha .. yeah, I actually considered dropping folks off at the Shrine for a few fights to distance the level-ups out for this very reason.

Dominae

Educated
Oh .. "hint"(?) .. the "vs Asian" weapons have an extra chance to 1-shot the Green Mandarin ninja-folk.

It "___ IS DECAPITATED"s them.

I'm stuck in an exploration conundrum...

in the Bowels of Samhain and the Samhain Underworld. I searched high and low and cannot for the life of me find the book for Eulogy Tribute to hand in to Dirge. Did I miss a secret square somewhere in the bowels or am I just ultra retarded? I've done just about everything that I can get my hands on here. Do I need to go up the mountainside to find the book or something? I've only gone up there for a bit and found that old knight that has something to do with the mausoleum but fuck if I'm gonna go grind through those monster cubbies right now...

Everything is in the Bowels, I am sure of it. Cast locate item.

Yep, I'm just an idiot. Must have missed this during my 1 AM crawl session :hug:

Now, one quick question... if I

Go back into Crowl from the Horror's abode, is this going to fuck me over in the long run? I ended up killing Argosyre and Gorlo, which made EVERYONE in the town hate me. I don't particularly care about either of them at the moment, but I have no idea if the remaining 80% of the game is going to punish me severely for this.

The Horror demolishes my entire party in the first round so I'm not sure if I can even kill it at the moment without extreme luck.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm at exactly the same stage, and my impression is that offing A is part of the expected sequence of events? No need to off G, since he stays put in his room and doesn't even attack straight away.

If you survive its first turn flurry of attacks - one of the few I've seen that target back ranks - then your Bard or spellcaster with power 7 disabling spell can ensure it's the last thing it ever does. And the fancy new sword you just would have got makes it faster.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
How do I rescue the princess without dragging her along with my party? She says if her father would know that her prison is open, he'd send soldiers to fetch her. The king also said that I should ring the bell in the tower to make his soldiers come in and help me, but I haven't encountered them despite ringing the bell.

I had to do that. Also, thanks to bug the only time you are able to encounter her is when you meet her, eve after you take her to the palace, you don't encounter her anymore. That bug may be the reason you have to take her there.
Is it absolutely necessary to rescue Dahlia in order to complete the game? I've been playing a "no NPC party members, no PC bards, no PC deaths" playthrough, and I'd hate to violate one of these restrictions even in a transient, minor fashion.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Ha .. yeah, I actually considered dropping folks off at the Shrine for a few fights to distance the level-ups out for this very reason.

Ditto. Still packed too close together, 50-100 xp wide. Probably need a few more passes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom