Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Realms of Arkania: Star Trail HD - Part 71: Phex Temple 15 - WTF Ending

If a party member dies, we should:

• Total voters

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 11: Dwarven Pit Part 1: Dungeon Crawling

qg1kRpY.jpg

Everyone seems to get penalties from Claustrophobia. Well, they all have 4 in it, so I guess it makes sense.

1bqduVN.jpg

VvCYzsZ.jpg

7yWrds1.jpg

We say no for now, as we won't be able to leave until we finish the dungeon.

1OW3BpM.jpg

Oooh, a massive chest! Wonder what's inside? Jimmious picks the lock and-

VtoBK9W.jpg

:negative:

F7ZEGFI.jpg

8oeEeXX.jpg

zlY57zK.jpg

uQ9joWT.jpg

We explore each and every brazier, but never find anything.

slo6CgP.jpg

This is the only thing we get from this.

U1K2neG.jpg

Fine then, into the mine!

qmXNWSc.jpg

vydJVD4.jpg

0wunCQU.jpg

nNG4Mja.jpg

Yes, no way back, hope we won't starve to death as we cant hunt rats or pick mushrooms or something.

CeHc4Tv.jpg

:rpgcodex: "Examine the skeleton."

:obviously: "You find nothing but the bones and said leather bag"

:rpgcodex: "Inspect the bag."

:obviously: "Well, atleast the bag's in a better condition then its owner. You find a small, empty bottle and a scrap of vellum."

We examine the small bottle, but it's just an empty flask from a healing potion.

:rpgcodex: "Take a look at the vellum"

FzF5vqE.jpg

This gives us this Rune "Ddocument".

KRpKZtF.jpg

mIGJwIR.jpg

Unfortunately, none of us seem to be able to decipher it. Maybe it's actually in German.

bU9Kijm.jpg

We take some torches, a pickaxe, a "scale box" and another lockpick.

9P66K4T.jpg

We find another skeleton, but this one doesn't have anything.

Zt8VYd2.jpg

We continue on and Jimmious unlocks the door that bars our way forward.

h8fNjzl.jpg

We find a shaft we can use to move from level to level.

oMCnd0P.jpg

This used to be a tavern, I guess?

WLwlhf3.jpg

:x Fortunately, we have two lockpicks, so we can carry on!

v9KPAZL.jpg

We find a dormitory with two chests.

7Hw3h0f.jpg

Yes, potions and throwing weapons for Nevill- oh, wait.

OI1wO18.jpg

A fancy robe for Reinhardt!

n7WW6ML.jpg

There's some gibberish on one of the documents. "The orc scum is now besieging Lowangen..." and I can't fully Decipher the rest. I guess its something like "find the Salamander Stone and bring it to Lowangen"?

s4dy7YP.jpg

The othe three turn out to be recipes for a masterful healing potion, Hiylaian Fire and a poison called Vomicum.

OKSRh2r.jpg

Also, it seems we can teleport with Tranversalis, which is nice.

NslBan8.jpg

We find a dining hall.

90JnyG6.jpg

With two empty chests.

6yXhwGE.jpg

tH0aTXd.jpg

Also this lovely event.

aHOaOSB.jpg

Time to find out if this game has fall damage!

IIzG56G.jpg

Guess not.

Dp7AH1y.jpg

Almost fully explored floor 1.

734pnqS.jpg

Nope, let's try that shaft instead!

V6p6Tvf.jpg

Let's try going up!

afcLlh6.jpg

BOwrvtE.jpg

XsRYX1h.jpg

iqfYj6V.jpg

Great, now to find the lock, as it doesn't fit into the door we came through.

duOjehv.jpg

We climb down to floor 2!

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And if my DSA lore is correct, then the continent we are on is called Aventuria, so this is like if we were playing an RPG set in medieval France and we were attacked by some enemies named Europeans.

Good that you mentioned "medieval" France because getting attacked by Europeans in modern day France would be a very rare occurrence indeed! :troll:

also

n7WW6ML.jpg

There's some gibberish on on of the documents.

You call it gibberish, I call it Pillars of Eternity!

Last edited:

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 12: Dwarven Pit Part 2: Total Party Kill (almost)

mv4NAL5.jpg

Floor 2!

ED0VLGn.jpg

Putting a hand in only leads to Jimmious being bitten by a rat and he can't see anything in there, so I guess we need a torch.

R2dk2qQ.jpg

9aGog6O.jpg

ZPDzR5U.jpg

Ok, turns out you actually have to light it and equip it first.

We then choose the third option.

:obviously: "You can hear squealing."

XxO4FbH.jpg

We get a stack of jewels for this.

RZv2M9G.jpg

We find another hole, where this happens instead.

:obviously: "With no trouble at all, Jimmious pulls back the trap iron and he can pull the wounded hand free with a sigh of relief."

5Fuo2tr.jpg

We find another room with treasure.

wIsK7QU.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

YwwoICn.jpg

Unfortunately, Jimmious keeps failing at lockpicking, so Morkar has to use Foramen. This chest had a throwing axe, a battle axe and some belt called Skullbelt. I didn't check if it's magical because I forgot that spell exists.

RRbZP24.jpg

We continue on.

htOoRMo.jpg

We find another chest that Jimmious can't manage to open, so we use Foramen. We take the dishes (who needs to buy them?) to get everyone a set and also the waterskins so we don't die of thirst.

I6WjgiL.jpg

kG88h8V.jpg

AML7AK1.jpg

We can't interact with this door, so I guess it's just a dead end.

zKBA0ii.jpg

Well, this looks ominous!

HG26cDr.jpg

What's the worst that could happen?

xeH52QK.jpg

SA5eFk9.jpg

Well, you'll see.

JqnAAcG.jpg

Pretty sunny for an underground cavern.

saF61Nr.jpg

We are fighting undead dwarves who don't really look all that undead. Still, they are immune to almost all spells we use (Horriphobus, Mad Dance, Great Confusion, Lightning, Be my Friend, Evil Eye, basically the domination spells) and the only thing Reinhardt can do against them is to summon Nevill's ghost and then attack them with his dagger to waste their parry. I guess I should've taught him that Rust spell, but I'm not sure if it would've helped much.

czgckWb.jpg

5gl5BZd.jpg

MicoSelva gets pretty strong once he buffs himself with Falcon Vision.

hoxEf8X.jpg

I guess it makes sense, but still! :argh:

I didn't try Paralyse, which I should've I guess, but it seems kinda unreliable.

MYOHaVl.jpg

PTWNW0u.jpg

Morkar summons a Heshoth and a Skeleton once he finally stops being frozen in fear. In retrospect, this was a mistake, as they didn't help that much and only made some of our party members freeze in fear (oobviously they don't, since they are undead). Plus wasted AE.

jKDlLNX.jpg

H7atDBG.jpg

MicoSelva stops shooting and turns into an MMO healbot.

6hYRDs4.jpg

Undead Nevill proves to be the perfect tank. I switch everyone else to Defensive Mode.

9CwCh0P.jpg

Anyway... crap, he actually survived that!

xhSA9hb.jpg

:x

DijkTdI.jpg

Morkar finishes of one dwarf with Fulminictus, but now he is almost out of AE.

Vpx24pQ.jpg

:x:x

of6MbTe.jpg

Seems like Reinhardt can actually summon multiple ghosts. Wish I knew that earlier. I don't think you could do that in Blade of Destiny HD though. If I'm wrong then tell me.

LozmEB6.jpg

:x:x:x Reinhardt falls unconcious before he can deplete his AE on ghost spam. Boreale also falls in battle. It's only Morkar and MicoSelva now.

JCjHXh4.jpg

Unfortunately, those ghosts keep failing to hit the dwarves and MicoSelva's arrows keep doing 0 damage due to armour.

bItNaAD.jpg

Wow, you can actually flee from this battle, didn't expect that!

Zp9h7Ai.jpg

MicoSelva flees for his life, while Nevill's ghost stays behind to hold them off! :salute:

qr921kr.jpg

Hey, this was a victory in my book! :argh:

gaxGkM5.jpg

Ok, we are trapped at the bottom of a pit, everyone except MicoSelva is either unconcious or dying and those undead are still around. We're kinda screwed.

DTlMAZ5.jpg

Look at poor MicoSelva, sitting there all alone :(.

EQs5fTQ.jpg

Fortunately, MicoSelva is one of our three healers, so we manage to save Morkar.

OFNiDK0.jpg

:rage:

hXXGB3n.jpg

MicoSelva fails to revive him 5 times, but on the 6th try, he manages to save him too.

mxLTNOG.jpg

Of course... :negative:

YqHl4Lr.jpg

Fine, let's find a way out of this pit!

alCChmU.jpg

We find a ramp that should lead us out of this devious trap.

gjAsQ2F.jpg

:argh::argh::argh:

Ge75RDc.jpg

Fine, let's rest for a while.

sgdZ4Y0.jpg

You kiddin' me...

F1bFLSZ.jpg

And Jimmious too, what the hell, Nevill, why do you hate us so much! :argh:

JwOiYrn.jpg

We try to teleport out of the pit but even though Morkar succeeds at casting it, it doesn't teleport us. I think it's due to the fact we were split up and MicoSelva with ERYFKRAD couldn't move. I've tried that spell later on and it actually works.

dyNrZRx.jpg

7GtYDTn.jpg

yugMJSC.jpg

Fortunately, it turns out you can just go around the ramp, which doesn't trigger the event. An oversight, I guess. :D

DEAFDCk.jpg

8uzjltF.jpg

We reunite the party and continue on our way.

Hu1dFOW.jpg

Turns out Traumatic Fever isn't as deadly as I've though afterall, it's just annoying as hell.

m4avFCa.jpg

j1GGmUh.jpg

This game is killing me :negative:.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

Turns out Traumatic Fever isn't deadly afterall, it's just annoying as hell.
Getting 2D6 Damage per day and no regeneration isn't deadly?

Eriador

Arbiter
Getting 2D6 Damage per day and no regeneration isn't deadly?

Balm of Healing. :troll: Plus, we can Treat Wounds I think. And if it gets really serious, we still have some healing potions.

What I've meant is, they aren't gonna randomly drop dead just because they are sick, which is what I've feared. I thought we were gonna lose them for sure and was about to start rushing the dungeon to get some use out of them before they die.

Like this, it's annoying as hell, but manageable.

Serves me right for pulling random levers...

Last edited:

Eriador

Arbiter
Ok guys, I've just replayed one battle about 10 times and I can't manage to beat it. Undead dwarves again, they are also immune to Paralyse... And I think you actually have to win that battle.

Also, it's really buggy. When you retreat from that fight and camp, they attack you again once you exit and I was stuck in this neverending loop of battles until I finally gave up and let the last party member stand his ground and fall in battle. Then, the game over screen showed up, but they've attacked us AGAIN, even though we were dead :(

Then I've reloaded and tried to win that battle 10 times in a row, but could never manage to defeat more then 2 dwarves (there are 5, plus a zombie) even that one time I've summoned an army of heshoths, skeletons and ghosts.

We keep hitting them alright, but barely do much damage. Sometimes we manage to hit them for 11 damage, but they seem to have an ungodly amount of LE.

Also, I need 4 new volunteers... but that one is kinda my fault, if I wasn't stupid, we would only need 2 :D

I don't know if it's because I suck (maybe), our characters suck (so far, they did really well), we are supposed to go there at a lower level (I took a look at a walkthough to check and it said to go straight to the dwarven pit) or it's balanced for parties from Blade of Destiny.

It's only those undead dwarves btw. We've smashed a group of gargoyles no problem.

Last edited:

Eriador

Arbiter
Ok, I've managed to cheese that fight by temporarily retiring the two surviving Codexers and making a special squad of undead dwarf exterminators for that one fight. But even then, I had to replay it four times :negative:.

I'll post the updates soon, then I think I'll take week-long break from this game to get my sanity back :D

And also to allow 4 more people to join. But I guess I'll be lucky if I get 1 volunteer :D

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 13: Dwarven Pit Part 3 - Dwarven Theme Park

e2i57vu.jpg

I decide to explore the rest of floor 2 before continuing on to floor 3. We can heal Boreale and Jimmious with Treat Wounds, so they are in no danger of dying even though they take 2D6 damage every 24 hours.

PYt2bRe.jpg

In one chest, we find a crank and some cart grease.

HiEWPAT.jpg

d0tvmZr.jpg

We also come across several of these traps, but Jimmious has high Danger Sense and avoids them. It does have an animation of bolts shooting out of those holes, which is nice.

1Dmd13s.jpg

You can go right up to the edge here, but I didn't try what'll happen if you jump in.

okn1aUw.jpg

After passing by that waterfall, we enter this room and immediately get trapped inside.

:obviously: "There is just a thin crack between the wall and the stone block. It is set into the floor leaving no crack there. In my opinion, there's no way you'll ever get out through there again."

No one asked for your opinion, "voiceover"- I mean, "narrator" guy. :argh:

He's right, though.

yt2IxuB.jpg

Searching for a way out, we find this lever. Well, we've found a crank earlier, so maybe it fits.

:obviously: "The crank you found fits the bearing perfectly. Jimmious starts turning the crank, first in one direction, then in the other. Even though Jimmious can feel something moving along with the crank inside the wall, it turns much too easily... Also, apart from a metallic tingling noise, there is absolutely no observable effect."

:obviously: "Go on turning the crank,"

:obviously: or take a closer look at this whole shebang?

Take a closer look.

:obviously: "After thinking about it for a while, Jimmious pulls the crank from the bearing and pulls the cover from the wall with one skilled movement, uncovering the whole mechanism."

:obviously: "The crank apparently turns a number of cogged wheels. There is a piece of broken chain hanging down from above. Another piece of chain is visible between the wheels. The lever is a locking lever that seems to have the purpose of stopping the weight of the stone block from pulling the mechanism in the opposite direction. Obviously, the whole thing needs an intact chain to function as intended."

:obviously: "Using a rope, Jimmious tries to bridge the gap in the chain. It takes several hours of work until he has the mechanism gerrymandered in a way that it should be able to hold the weight for a short time."

:smug: "The room really seems to be completely sealed off. The air is already quite stuffy and it becomes unpleasantly warm."

:obviously: "Jimmious secures the crank with the lever and gets the heck past that block of stone hanging from the ceiling, followed by everybody else. Pheeow! Jimmious has barely crossed through, when there's a snapping sound from the mechanism. It's almost immediately drowned out by the tremendous rumbling of the massive stone block coming down and the ear-splitting crash of it hitting the floor."

U4kXsfm.jpg

As soon as that event ends, we are automatically moved to this place.

fqCd4pb.jpg

Across that wooden bridge, we find this room. We go to that wardrobe in the corner and step on another loose stone plate. Not sure what they are for.

:obviously: The wardrobe: "The wardrobe is only a pace and a half high. The doors are not locked. It contains several compartments, all stuffed full with clothing. There is a set of leathers on the bar next to a number of robes and cloaks in various colors. All quite interesting but of no use, as every single piece of clothing in there is several sizes too small for any of you."

AoeOo5F.jpg

Yes, of course, everything in here is free for the taking!

(we actually have to say yes, if we want to progress further)

O0YG9tp.jpg

Unfortunately, there's no picture of the gnome this time.

:obviously: "Ah well, you have to take your visitors as they come. Unfortunately, I can't pick and choose. And there haven't been many visitors lately anyway."

:obviously: "Let the gnome continue."

:obviously: "Interrupt him?"

:obviously: "Attack the gnome?"

We'll be polite and let him continue.

:obviously: "Well, I expect some presents for your host. That is the custom..."

:obviously: "wait?"

:obviously: "hand over a present?"

1ckmIzo.jpg

Maybe he'll like a nice shield!

:obviously: "With a loud puff, the Gnome suddenly disappears from the corner and appears right in front of Jimmious holding out his hand. Once he has received the present, he throws it into the open chest without giving it another glance. "Thank you! How very magnanimous!" the Gnome squeals dryly."

:obviously: "Now then, you boorish louts, if you don't want to introduce yourselves, I'll make a start. Mumpitz of Zappendust-Zwackenpurtz is my name. My friends call me Mumpsy - but don't any of your lot dare address me as Mumpsy!"

:obviously: "Introduce yourselves?"

:obviously: "Burst out laughing?"

:obviously: "Wait?"

Codexians are polite and introduce themselves, obviously. What do you think we are, barbarians or something? :obviously:

:obviously: "What strange names you have, but that's ok. You're the ones that have to live with them."
But he isn't very polite. We should teach him some manners but sadly, it seems it's too late for that now. :negative:

:obviously: "Enough small talk. I know two paths, one of which is unavoidable, the other of which is useful. The unavoidable one leads out of this room, for I want my peace and quiet. The useful one you will have to work for." Mumpsy digs through the chest for a bit and uncovers a large, richly decorated key. He holds it up to the light. "The things people carelessly leave lying around, tsk, tsk," the Gnome mumbles to himself.

:obviously: "Puzzle, puzzle!" the withered, old Gnome suddenly cries out and jumps through the room, waving the key about in front of your faces.

LdKffAv.jpg

I guess moose antlers look kinda like hands?

Also, it seems this gnome hasn't seen Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies. Thranduil totally rides them! Or atleast something that looks kinda like a moose.

:obviously: "Bravo! Even an Orc could have gotten that one."

:obviously: "Time to say goodbye," the Gnome says and starts to move his arms about in circles. You suddenly feel sleepy and unable to keep your eyes open.

RvRZZqD.jpg

NZGy1YL.jpg

We gain a key from this charming encounter, which we can use to leave the dungeon. However, I've only learned about that later on.

U53C7gB.jpg

But half of our party arrived somewhere else then the other half and we have to spend some time to reunite them and merge them. One half arrived in front of that room we were trapped in, the other half appeared in front of that door you can't interact with from the previous update.

After merging the party, we venture forth to floor 3.

sw3VYkx.jpg

At floor 3, I've decided to try out Tranversalis, so I've set camp and had Morkar cast it to transport us to Floor 1. I think I've wanted to pick up some torches there.

5dLT08N.jpg

The spell succeeded, as I could tell by the sound effect, yet when I exited the camping screen, I've found myself in this lovely place. And this time, our map couldn't get us out of this mess!

LArm4mm.jpg

Thanfully, Tranversalis got us out of the mess it caused, as it functioned perfectly when cast while not camping.

Note to self - don't cast Tranversalis while camping.

m607IMi.jpg

Nothing of interest here. Most of our characters are now Dirty and thus have -2 Charisma for 24 hours.

RxdjHro.jpg

There's a bunch of these here, but we don't have a shovel and as such can't remove them. :argh: Maybe we'll find one in the dungeon?

pSniGpC.jpg

We can repair that cart to go for a ride, but we leave it alone for now and check back later.

HYd0P2q.jpg

Z1e0K5F.jpg

ochL6i5.jpg

We also find this Forge area. Let's examine the utensils, hopefully we'll find something valuable!

:obviously: "The tools are tongs of varying sizes. They are, however, almost completely rusted through and thus totally worthless."

Damn, no moniez. Well, that morningstar sounds kinda sweet. Let's take it with us!

:obviously: "Sorry, folks! That sweeper is too big for your backpacks!"

:argh: Hey, if 10 battleaxes fit inside our backpacks, then surely we can fit that thing inside!

iNU4kc4.jpg

Also, Jimmous randomly decides to crawl into the chimney, most likely due to his high Curiosity.

:obviously: "Working as a team, you finally manage to pull Jimmious free again."

6xD27Fh.jpg

Now we have to get across this pit. Not sure what skill or attribute is actually used...

:obviously: "With a graceful leap, Jimmious clears the obstacle."

...but our dwarf passes with flying colors! Dwarves can jump, who knew?

:obviously: "While Jimmious ties the rope to the doorframe, you find a spot to tie it to on this side. Now, you can simply climb across the pit hand over hand along the rope."

QdvMmRC.jpg

ZhcFk7C.jpg

On the other side, we find a lever that closes that hole and allows us to move back and forth normally.

c9ib0kb.jpg

Sure, why not!

:obviously: "Jimmious keeps fingering the construction somewhat helplessly, then he suddenly grins and starts climbing up the frame. With a whooping laugh, he slides down the chute, arriving at the other end with a dull thud. You can still hear Jimmious laughing from the next room."

Ok, seems Jimmious went insane from that traumatic fever. Poor guy :(. Still, atleast he has fun on that slide!

vg2BmN9.jpg

8AFYGTu.jpg

You can't just climb back up the ore chute, as there's an invisible wall blocking you, so Jimmious has to take the long way around. And once he does, the even pops up again, I accidentaly click yes and have to do it all over again :negative:.

uuYfNPt.jpg

Next, we arrive at some kind of graveyard.

:obviously: An altar: "The altar contains a slab with words in a some sort of runic writing. Do you want to try to decipher the writing?"

Yes, that's why we're here!

:obviously: "Morkar cannot totally make out what the inscription says, but he is sure that it includes a dedication to one Tordol, who founded the Pit, and also a remembrance of the victims of some sort of mining disaster."

We can try to rob the graves, but the priest told us that it's a bad idea and we aren't stupid enough to disregard his advice! Plus it's not nice to steal from dead people. We have to draw a line somewhere. And our group has definitely NEVER done that! EVER!

(if you rob the graves, the ground shakes for a bit and then you are attacked by undead dwarves, so screw that).

pSniGpC.jpg

Let's return to that cart we saw here earlier.

:obviously: "The dump car is filled halfway with charcoal. The body of the car is rotted through, and the mechanical parts are covered in rust, but even so, with a bit of grease, you should be able to get the old thing back in working condition."

:obviously: "Do you want to grease the dram?"

Might as well. We send our dwarf to take care of it.

9TQblkc.jpg

:obviously: "Do you want to ride the dump car?"

After some hot dwarven cart-greasing action, Jimmious deserves to go on a ride!

aA6EaHt.jpg

:obviously: "...and the others start pushing. The dump car's wheels screech and grate on the tracks."

:obviously: "At first, the car is resisting..."

:obviously: "...but once you manage to give it enough momentum, it flies off like a rollercoaster!"

MDZ3kgO.jpg

Note that the cart doesn't actually "move" in game. You sort of just get teleported from place to place along the tracks and the game asks you if you want to jump off. Lame! I wanted to ride it ffs, not teleport! :argh:

m4nQGQy.jpg

:obviously: "The cart goes faster and faster. Does Jimmious jump off?"

Jimmious is no coward, he stays right where he is!

:obviously: "The dram slams into a bunch of bags on the tracks with a loud blast."

Uh oh.

bsdmUOY.jpg

dAd32V2.jpg

Jimmious is unconcious and can't move, weirdly I also can't bring up the radial menu no matter how hard I click, so I can't switch to the rest of the group or rest to get him concious again. Ican just stare at the screen and wait.

62eRpm5.jpg

I leave the game running for a few minutes, but he still doesn't wake up. It would probably take another five or so in-game hours, but I wasn't about to stare at this for another five minutes, so I just realoaded, had him ride the cart again and this time had him jump off.

:obviously: "That was pretty worthless! The leap turns into a series of quite painful tumbles."

:argh:

:obviously: "The dram slams into a bunch of bags on the tracks with a loud blast."

MzCqGbg.jpg

Ok, it seems there's no real point in this. Thankfully, this time Jimmious doesn't get unconcious.

YqGmTxx.jpg

QqJlHyl.jpg

Floor 4!

(Also known as hell)

Last edited:

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 14: Dwarven Pit Part 4 - Eternal Damnation

QqJlHyl.jpg

We get attacked as soon as we get to that fountain.

a5LEX3Z.jpg

A bunch of gargoyles! They count as undead, so they trigger our necrophobia and also are immune to spells like paralyse, but they are manageable.

mwdO5Sd.jpg

Anyway...

VMes37a.jpg

:argh: Reinhardt, stop tanking!

Co4a2kA.jpg

Nice work, ERYFKRAD! :salute:

QBTqlVr.jpg

Ok, now we just have to make sure we don't lose our emo druid.

IEYu0tO.jpg

:dance:

mGHX6wi.jpg

From that red light, you can see that we're now actually in Hell. Certainly feels like it.

zdGIQVY.jpg

:obviously: "Do you throw something down the hole, rappel down or walk away?"

I see no point in throwing things down random holes, so let's rappel down.

:obviously: "The further down Jimmious rappels, the hotter it gets. The walls of the shaft are made of volcanic ore. As the rope won't reach any further, he turns around and starts climbing up toward you again."

Well, that was pointless.

7K7UPbk.jpg

Oh boy, here we go! :negative:

89VQlKg.jpg

Our belowed dwarven friends are back and this time they have a zombie friend!

lX3p11H.jpg

Not that they actually need it, since it's worthless.

6R6vqFl.jpg

Sadly, even an army summoned from the darkest reaches of RPG Codex doesn't help us much.

t8vLEU5.jpg

We don't have a problem with hitting them, we hit more times then not eben though I put everyone in defensive mode, it's just that they have loads of Life Energy, high armor and we do pretty crappy damage. Most of the time, we do like 3 to 7, a few times Boreale and ERYFKARD hit for whooping 17 with Relentless Blow, but our summons keep failing at actually hitting them. And if they hit, they deal 1 damage.

Not to mention they are immune to 90% of the spells we use and Reinhardt can only summon ghosts or attack them with his crappy dagger, which displays the lovely message "armor absorbs all damage".

X878iy0.jpg

B4XU0OP.jpg

Although the hit chance seems pretty low, I think we've only missed one or two of these relentless blows.

The problem with these dwarves is that they are super strong and also immune to 90% of spells, so no debuffs, this pretty much comes down to having enough "DPS" to kill them. So if you don't have enough "DPS", you can't pass. No all-Juggler parties will get through here I guess. Unless they are gonna throw Hiylaian Fire or something.

Maybe Rust Iron would help, but only Reinhardt could cast that and everytime I've tried with him, he failed.

(And ffs, why are undead immune to Paralyse? The description says it turns them to stone and the spell effect is a spiderweb!)

we8Ggc2.jpg

I manage to escape with ERYFKRAD...

wgx1SEi.jpg

But Morkar gets trapped, as I didn't notice that "tool stand" and you can't move diagonaly when you are surrounded.

r5oKI55.jpg

Sigh...

EsETfrE.jpg

ERYFKRAD sucks at treat wounds and everyone else is unconcious, so he doesn't manage to save Jimmious or MicoSelva.

:smug: "ERYFKRAD feels weak and has a light fever."

:argh: Also that.

Whatever, let's rest now-

eMXvleU.jpg

You kiddin me...

t88D4fB.jpg

Let's try running again!

itpeVmT.jpg

:x

RNuOYzN.jpg

Run again-

2yxUIVX.jpg

dmPrVlt.jpg

IT2Q9cU.jpg

Also, these dwarves keep falling from the sky onto the battlefield at the start of each encounter. These were the only enemies so far that did this.

eXD3xD3.jpg

Morkar always starts near enough so that he can flee at the start of his round and repeat this infinitely.

tFWNGJh.jpg

However I turn on autocombat to put an end to this.

sZp3zwh.jpg

:fuuyeah:

pyx1oE9.jpg

:what:

I... see the light?

OabqWIj.jpg

Are we... in combat now? Did those dwarves follow us into the afterlife so that they can kick our asses for eternity? OMG, this really is hell!

:evilcodex:

wp8sNdo.jpg

Well, atleast there's autocombat in hell, so it's not all bad.

Last edited:

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 15: Dwarven Pit Part 5 - Git gud, scrub!

7jP7d6Q.jpg

I reload and refight the battle about a dozen times, but never manage to kill more then 2 dwarves. Eventually, I try to flee again.

5j7I8A2.jpg

This time, I leave the spot where the undead ambush is triggered and camp deep inside the room proper.

ljyLEUf.jpg

We need to push this wheel, but we also need to win that encounter to get the amulet they drop.

YdWn1pc.jpg

Also this thing.

7ID3R1Y.jpg

Let's not for now.

(no, we have to do that later, so that we can die in style!)

:obviously: "A thick layer of salt has developed where the two layers meet."

o5VY1tq.jpg

:obviously: "Part of the fur clings to his fingers, which are now gleaming in the same colors as the wall and quickly getting cold."

:argh:

bqOxyz8.jpg

Rubbing the hands and washing them does nothing, so I do the worst possible thing and select the third option.

gJigmLX.jpg

:rage::rage::rage:

Ok, I'm a moron.

1dNZKhz.jpg

Before we get from the room of death that slowly kills us, I have ERYFKRAD trun the wheel, since I didn't do that earlier.

EKzLWhD.jpg

MicoSelva manages to save Jimmious, but Nevill finally succeeds in his evil scheme and claims Reinhardt's life :(.

pmnVooq.jpg

DkSKdDG.jpg

:rage::rage:

imQKCqe.jpg

:rage::rage::rage:

rSVq4m1.jpg

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

EQXcooG.jpg

Boreale doesn't have Treat Wounds :rage:.

LxxCwST.jpg

And Jimmious is dea- Eh? Did the game take pity on us or something?

Great, the two guys with Traumatic Fever have survived. Jimmious can keep Boreale alive with treat wounds, but Boreale can't do the same with Jimmious.

This is the part where I look at the walkthrough for the original and notice that the key from the gnome allows us to leave the dungeon and return later.

NkLT0dT.jpg

I have Jimmious drink a healing potion, so that he doesn't drop dead on the way there and together with Boreale, they climb up to the first floor.

6unqR6m.jpg

Freedom at last!

OPF4hJO.jpg

Oh, so they only notice Reinhardt once he is dead. Figures...

Anyway, we can't leave the inner city without returning the key to that priest.

AapW11Y.jpg

We visit the local healer to get rid of the fever. We don't have enough money to cure both, so later on, we "handel abschließen" some of our loot at the nearby general store to heal him too.

vb2UVl4.jpg

:obviously: "Boreal stands blinded for a few seconds, then he steps into the mud with determination, where he sinks up to his knees."

He gets dirty, so he has -2 Charisma.

dFDOoXr.jpg

We have to return it to enter the temple. We can ask for it later and he will give it to us again.

ziyEED5.jpg

Unfortunately, gods still hate us.

aI4PXrx.jpg

I then save the game and replay that first battle a few more times and try different things, with no progress...

FTlyzBO.jpg

Ok game, if you are gonna be like this, well, I have some tricks of my own...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Holy shit :lol:

Boreale saves the day as always though so it's gud :troll:

Also:

Note that the cart doesn't actually "move" in game. You sort of just get teleported from place to place along the tracks and the game asks you if you want to jump off. Lame! I wanted to ride it ffs, not teleport!

Damn technological limitations making this possible in Lands of Lore in 1993 but not here in 2017 :argh:

Eriador

Arbiter
Boreale seems to be really lucky, he was never in a danger of dying so far, even in "hell" he was just unconcious. :D

If I finish this I want a damn medal...

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 16: Dwarven Pit Part 6 - FULMINICTUS!

FTlyzBO.jpg

Fine, we need to hire some help...

P0XkSp5.jpg

UxbOlg4.jpg

wFlgDx1.jpg

xkxmcVM.jpg

yciSDES.jpg

9PoBEMN.jpg

Yes, these guys will do just fine!

(I've later raised Gandalf's horrible abit Courage, but pretty much the only stats we care about are Strength, Agility, Cleverness and Necrophobia)

Yqve0s7.jpg

gL0DAzj.jpg

ALL OF THE ASTRAL ENERGY!

7ASN4qt.jpg

No Necrophobiacs allowed! We love the undead! Undead are the best! They are people too! WE WANNA ROMANCE THEM!

SOseqIf.jpg

Of course, you know just the thing we need...

FULMINICTUS!

zpaJDaO.jpg

BRING IT ON!

(Btw the room is still burning, that's why they've lost so much health)

I900VcB.jpg

OUR FULMINICTUS IS TOO STRONG!

:obviously: "Fury Blood of Asphodel! Help me in this hour!"

:obviously: "Skelettarius, rise from your grave and tomb!"

(Skeletons are better, because they don't require courage checks from everyone else each round. The dwaves are undead, so they are immune)

UOJXssq.jpg

:obviously: "FULMINICTUS THUNDER WEDGE! HIT AND KILL LIKE AN ARROW!"

ol1cshn.jpg

FULMINICTUS!

2dZP3d9.jpg

FULMINICTUS!

EZMm1l7.jpg

:necro:

VTPKd99.jpg

FULMINICTUS!

Dkrapbz.jpg

:obviously: "I'm gonna break every single bone in your body!"

kjnWuiJ.jpg

:obviously: "Welcome to Boron's Empire!"

42jkVxe.jpg

:obviously: "You are all going to die!"

jZKbG5p.jpg

:obviously: "FULMINICTUS THUNDER WEDGE! HIT AND KILL LIKE AN ARROW!"

:imperialscum:

FULMINICTUS!

:timetoburn:

IGNIFAXIUS!

:necro:

SKELETTARIUS!

Il1hSi9.jpg

DESERTION IS UNACCEPTABLE!

q1YOoSH.jpg

FULMINICTUS IS THE ONLY TRUE WAY!

VebwtFF.jpg

IF YOU CAN'T FULMINICTUS, YOU ARE WORTHLESS!

eA1BX2Y.jpg

GO! HOLD THE LINE! LAY DOWN YOUR LIFE FOR YOUR COUNTRY! FOR CODEXIA!

DakR6sE.jpg

FULMINICTUS IS LIFE, FULMINICTUS IS LOVE!

bfnUHc1.jpg

XhHEWMf.jpg

THOSE WHO FORSAKE THE HOLY FULMINICTUS SHALL BE USED AS MEATSHIELDS FOR THE FAITHFUL!

3bPxnbi.jpg

FULMINICTUS!

tnss2bb.jpg

FULMI- oh, we've won. Great. :hmmm:

Nm3fGjW.jpg

Here's the thing we need!

fb4x9w8.jpg

They all deserve some rest, don't you think?

UYLuGTY.jpg

Wait...

I've left the golden key on Boreale...

When I've returned the key with this party, I didn't have it and the game said so, yet it generated a new key and gave that to me... I thought it was there to prevent you from becoming stuck...

But it seems it also resets the door and removes the silver key on the other side...

So I couldn't pick it up...

So I can't leave now...

So I have to reaload and do it all again...

:hmmm: Know what, that's fine...

Hmu2s0b.jpg

BECAUSE WE NEED MORE FULMINICTUS!

1eus9Bt.jpg

NOOO! YOU CAN'T FULMINICTUS WHEN YOU'RE DEAD!

37BEiAi.jpg

FULMINICTUS THUNDER WEDGE! HIT AND KILL LIKE AN ARROW!

kztR1sR.jpg

WE HAVE ENOUGH FULMINICTUS FOR EVERYONE!

Nclng7O.jpg

FULMICTUS LED US TO VICTORY ONCE AGAIN!

ruCnlCz.jpg

WE'VE PREVAILED OVER THE DARK FORCES OF "HANDEL ABSCHLIEßEN"! ALL PRAISE THE HOLY FULMINICTUS!

DRO74qX.jpg

FULMINICTUS SAVES LIVES OF THE FAITHFUL, BUT CASTS THE UNBELIEVERS DOWN INTO THE ABYSS!

iQt9Ql5.jpg

YOUR TASK IS DONE! GO NOW AND SPREAD THE TEACHINGS OF HOLY FULMINICTUS! SHARE THEM WITH THE WORLD AND BATTLE THE FALSE WAY OF "HANDEL ABSCHLIEßEN" WHEREVER YOU GO!

18ufMiO.jpg

:hmmm: So...

Seems we need 4 new party members.

We've lost 4 people.

So, any brave volunteers who aren't afraid to join the cause of glorious Codexia? :troll:

Last edited:

Eriador

Arbiter
Well, if we won't get enough volunteers by the time I return from my "break", you can sign up as another character (so no Rogue for you!) Also, no more dwarves or Thorwalians, we need "diversity". Maybe even female characters :D

Btw. obviously we'll get a new magician, because FULMINICTUS THUNDER WEDGE! HIT AND KILL LIKE AN ARROW!

Last edited:

Eriador

Arbiter
Former emo, now a troll, great...

Well, if you make the cut, I foresee that your "handel abschließen" shall be strong indeed...

Morkar Left

Damn, since juggler is already occupied I would go with a fighter (Sword & Board, high Diplomacy)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You need a pansy-ass elf, don't you? Let's see how an Ice elf works in this game. I volounteer. I'll even be a tranny. :salute:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I volunteer as a Magician. But don't get your hopes up for FULMINICTUS, I'll specialize in mind/charm spells so I could finally use Seduce with reckless abandon!

Eriador

Arbiter
OMG, "Arobatics" is the best money making skill. Each successful performace gives around 17 silver.

Who knew, Jugglers are actually useful in this game :D

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 17: Dwarven Pit Part 7 - Jugglers Rock! (plus some stuff we've missed)

DvGIVe3.jpg

Meet Reinhardt the Jolly, the late Reinhardt's cousin!

hwUdwYN.jpg

He is an acrobat. Boreale and Jimmious decide to take him along, since they need some entertainment to lift their spirits after that horrible tragedy.

Ty8XC2N.jpg

And here's Azira, who identifies as a female Ice Elf. It was strange to meet a female Ice Elf inside a city that doesn't allow elves inside, but the group decided not to ask Azira and just continue onward, otherwise they might learn some things they'd rather not know.

It seems Ice Elves have higher throwing weapons skill then projectile, but I don't care. You will use bows and you'll like it! Instead of a bow or a rapier, she starts with a Spear and a Seal knife, she also has a flute instead of a harp. Ice elves also have more then 100 cold resistance, which I guess means they are immune to cold.

imJ9MFa.jpg

With our jolly Reinhardt taking the lead, the group dragged poor ERYFKRAD's corpse to the local dwarven mechant to sell all of our stuff and also all those axes those undead dwarves have dropped.

lrvKWVT.jpg

Reinhardt, you are the best! Your "handel abschließen" is off the charts! Who needs Nevill?

xtSkhx3.jpg

...drunkards.

AYkwlKQ.jpg

We go to the blacksmith to repair the masterly two hander. The blacksmith charges a whooping 10 Ducats for that, but Reinhardt gets us a 50% discount. Reinhardt, I love you!

bE9zznH.jpg

Reinhardt goes dancing in the tavern, but everyone there is a total cheapskate and thus they only give him 3 silver total for his excellent performance.

f5LN0xG.jpg

It seems Azira's beautiful singing voice earns us even less money then Reinhardts dancig skills. Maybe they just paid her to stop singing?

Well, let's try "Arobatics" and then we can go-

miVmST2.jpg

:what:

Ok, let's try that again...

17 silver!

13 silver!

15 silver!

17 silver!

15 silver!

Oh my God, who needs pickpocket when the great powers of "Arobatics" are the only true way to riches?

Thanks to "arobatics", we eventually earn something over 20 Ducats in total!

4Q7pQ0u.jpg

Reinhardt, where have you been all this time? When I told Nevill I'll replace him with a juggler I was just kidding, but it turns out I should've done that a long time ago!

I foresee a long and prosperous career ahead of you!

hpUW289.jpg

Oh and that creepy guy that suddenly started following us around is Nevill of Codexia (no relation to Nevill Codexer, the late rogue), a magician specialised in Domination. He just sort of started hanging around with us and everyone else is too polite to tell him to get lost. His Fulminictus and Ignifaxius is weak, so he is decidedly inferior to Morkar the Red.

h400xD2.jpg

x63F5mG.jpg

And this is our other new stalker. He's stolen the indentity of our dead magician and everyone else is too dumb to notice that it's not him in spite of all of those obvious differences, like the fact that he doesn't know any spells. He uses a shield and Artherions magical sword I've identified off-screen. That Skullbelt Jimmious has also decreases Necrophobia by 4.

0eLYhZn.jpg

With our new shovel bought in town, we return to the dwarven pit and find a chest I've missed. I'm not sure what this is for.

JS7Ozh4.jpg

With our shovel, Reinhardt can clear the collapsed passages. There's a whole bunch of them here and for each one cleared, the group gets 4 experience.

54kP5V8.jpg

Except this one.

:obviously: "Jimmious just barely avoided being hit by a large rock."

Phew!

z9ndL6Q.jpg

In one of the collapsed passages, we finds this lovely dagger and some other stuff.

FIREuwG.jpg

In this picture, I've discovered that Boreale actually has 13 treat wounds. But it might be for the best if he never tries it again. Seriously, first attempt and it's a critical failure...

npWpyxC.jpg

Back at the first floor, we find a room we've missed with this altar. We can either steal some of the offerings (bad idea!) or donate some of our own money.

Ftx8iAo.jpg

Let's be generous, our awesome juggler, who is gonna be with us till the end will get us enough money for a lifetime!

3MSKX7m.jpg

Also this door.

F23DWAQ.jpg

Examine the relief?

:obviously: "On closer examination even the parts of the picture that at first glance seemed smooth, are finely structured and almost appear not hewn, but spun from the rock."

Ok, how about those runes?

:obviously: "The runes remind you of the writing on the piece of vellum you found with the skeleton before. Awkwardly, Nevill searches for the vellum - yes, you were right. The runes on the vellum and those on the wall are identical."

Intriguing... light the torches?

:obviously: "When you light one of the torches, all the others abruptly flare as well. Also, you notice a low, red-orange shimmering in the eyes of the relief Ingerimm. The light very gradually grows in intensity, until the god of smiths is looking at you from eyes of glittering lava. From somewhere below, there is a soft rumbling noise accompanied by some clanking."

0xqrsak.jpg

Ok, I guess that opened something.

vflGtVs.jpg

We also find this thing, but there doesn't seem to be anything particularly interesting about it.

QYylp4j.jpg

We also find this chest, that costs us a lockpick to open, as it gets stuck inside the lock, which promptly falls off. I'm not sure why anyone would leave an armed wolf trap inside their storage container. Dwarves...

Inside, we find some Fire Powder!

eEa5B7S.jpg

And also another document written in some cipher.

lwTu8jQ.jpg

After some time, this shows up. An hour later, it continues with this:

:obviously: "Again, the sound of a hammer blow echoes through the corridors."

Nothing else relating to that. I guess it's from that giant anvil near the altar.

FkVQrpo.jpg

Let's try throwing the Fire Powder into the Lava Pit. Sounds like fun!

:obviously: "You hear a gurgling and hissing from the hole. The room's heating up as well. Red-hot lava is moving up the shaft."

Well, we can stand around and wait, I think it'd make sense toget ut while we still can.

g0gWuxu.jpg

This game loves providing you with elaborate ways to screw yourself over, doesn't it?

ZaORE5S.jpg

What will our heroes find on the dreaded 5th floor? Will they all perish horribly? Possibly, except for Reinhardt, he's gonna make it all the way to the end. I'm sure of that!

Eriador

Arbiter
I love Azira's portrait :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom