Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Good eyes and I am really proud of that entire level. Students of Alice in Wonderland and related trivia will notice all the references. I like the way the level plays out and ends in front of the mirror, since Knorlos Knossos lives in the mirrors and in dreams. Just out of curiosity, did you discover his origin story in the reservoir?
I will as soon as I figure out how to enter the reservoir from the Hedgemaze. :M I hope it doesn't require that damn fishing line, of which I'm still missing a part.

Edit: Never mind, just did it. Though I have to say,
some of the squares with interactable items have an extremely limited area in which they can be interacted. I just had this same problem with the hole leading from the Hive Labyrinth to the Empress Wasp Mound.

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
RRw96n8.png

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Who are some of the most powerful and/or useful RPCs discovered so far? Are all of the 64 NPCs also RPCs?

There is a thread for that:
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...grimoire-spoilers-discussion-and-poll.117761/

It overflows past some max number and it becomes negative on your character screen(forgot which one, but it's the one related to what your character wear). There are a lot of people complaining about it.

I'm not sure if it's more than just a display glitch though. In my game, those negative number guys still had full AC protection.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Cleve taking notes about balancing issues reported in the Steam forums.

3lETvV0.gif

You do realize that critical bugs >>> manual completion >>> balancing issues?

It hasn't been the biggest priority, though he did fix things like encounter rates, the Music skill increasing too fast or decreasing the spell level of the Halcyonic Lyre.

Last edited:

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
When looking at Grimoire's executable in IDA Pro to try to find some way to override the MIDI device (and failing), I saw a crap ton of assert-related strings. Some people previously in the old giant thread have hurr durred over Cleve "not evening using unit tests". But it's clear that he was definitely doing contract programming. "Asserts" are basically the contract programming version of "tests". It was a lot more fashionable in the '90s but many languages support it natively and most mainstream languages support it with third-party libraries. It's also still really popular in the defense industry. It would have been perfectly normal for a competent developer to take this approach when Grimoire's development started.

Last edited:

Danthar

Novice
Cleve, I know this is probably obvious, but bear in mind that Steam indicates who owns your game (the mouse symbol next to their name). Thought I'd mention it as you seem to get a lot of questions from people who don't own your game and are probably playing pirated versions, but with one guy who does own your game you asked him if he was pirating it.
Really?
Is that new? I never saw that.

EDIT: Whaaaaa I went and looked and there's a little mouse icon! Man I never knew that actually meant something!
I've seen it but never, really looked.
Nice to know :p

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
So is it worth playing Grimoire now, or would it be better to wait a few months (years?) for all the bug fixing and balancing? I would prefer to buy it through GOG anyway, I think Cleve mentioned its going up there eventually?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
So is it worth playing Grimoire now, or would it be better to wait a few months (years?) for all the bug fixing and balancing? I would prefer to buy it through GOG anyway, I think Cleve mentioned its going up there eventually?

It was worth it 2 weeks ago.

mondblut

Arcane

Migrated to .22 and shortly after instead of assert, had my first genuine crash to windows, completely with dmp file. Happened in Kublai Axis, during combat with rowdy guys and dark rangers (I think), near Bazaar entrance. The last thing I spotted is one of the enemies "retreating". Did not reproduce so far.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Post it in his critical bug thread. I think the Black Lich retreat crashes are still not solved and this may be related.

Tarrant

Educated
For the record, don't be active in the Steam forum if you haven't yet purchased the game (or refunded it to wait and see whether it actually gets unfucked), else Cleve will ban you and accuse you of piracy with a bunch of profanity. Just sayin'.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
For the record, don't be active in the Steam forum if you haven't yet purchased the game (or refunded it to wait and see whether it actually gets unfucked), else Cleve will ban you and accuse you of piracy with a bunch of profanity. Just sayin'.

And he is right. If you refund the game, but continue playing it, then you should get your ass banned.

Tarrant

Educated

And he is right. If you refund the game, but continue playing it, then you should get your ass banned.

What? Where did I say I was still playing it?

Edit: I just re-read my post and I'm just not seeing it. Did you mean to reply to somebody else, maybe? Because I haven't pirated a game since I was a teenager (just shy of 20 years ago).

mondblut

Arcane
Post it in his critical bug thread.

I'd have to enable steam guard to post comments on steam, and I hate this nagging piece of shit constantly demanding me to enter a stupid code sent to my throwaway mailbox. Turned it off a year ago and never looked back.

I think the Black Lich retreat crashes are still not solved and this may be related.

Probably the same. Haven't heard of that one before.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Edit: I just re-read my post and I'm just not seeing it. Did you mean to reply to somebody else, maybe? Because I haven't pirated a game since I was a teenager (just shy of 20 years ago).

The "you" wasn't necessarily referring to you, but to anyone else who does that. And why would you bring that up in the first place? Let the pirates be banned, no need to warn them.

Tarrant

Educated

The "you" wasn't necessarily referring to you, but to anyone else who does that. And why would you bring that up in the first place? Let the pirates be banned, no need to warn them.

Holy shit, maybe I'm just not being clear.

If you don't own the game but post on the Steam forum, you risk Cleve banning you and accusing you, falsely and out of nowhere, of piracy.

That's *literally* all I'm trying to communicate. :B

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The release version, without any updates, is easily playable through the entire first part of the game (i.e. up to the first Tablet), though you'll eventually run into problems after that. With updates, the entire game can be completed.

0T599B6.png

In Grimoire, the greatest treasure is that which allows you to carry around more treasure. +M

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

If you don't own the game but post on the Steam forum, you risk Cleve banning you and accusing you, falsely and out of nowhere, of piracy.

I hardly ever see Cleve swear- Only mildly (like in a rated PG way if that)

I take it you were banned? Why? Ive seen plenty of people in there who dont own the game and were not banned.

Grimlorn

Arcane

yeah someone posted a screenshot on here of you playing version 1.2.1 something, so seems likely you're pirating.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I just assumed 99% of them were pirates. I know about the symbol. Can you fake that symbol?

I don't think that's possible. This one doesn't own the game and I bet what he is playing right now is a pirate copy.

at893CR.png

I just assumed 99% of them were pirates. I know about the symbol. Can you fake that symbol?

I don't think that's possible. This one doesn't own the game and I bet what he is playing right now is a pirate copy.

at893CR.png

He's learned to block it out I see

L1PVUn.png

These two were the main points of contention.

Biggus

Scholar
I'm pretty sure that obscuring attributes formulas and what do they influence was intentional in those games

I don't think anyone (I'm not) is asking for a formula, we just want to know what stats affect which thing, and which stats affect nothing. Not that much to ask.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom