Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Disregard my latest post, I'm retarded. Found the chests.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I think thief is probably the best route. I don't care too much about spells on the thief, so if he turns out to be a low-hp lockpicker/stealther/crit guy that's fine with me. Thanks for the heads up, if Pirate is broken I'll just keep him a thief.

Edit: My biggest worry is that it seems like I can't beg borrow or steal HP over 8 with any thief I've rolled prior to my "real" party. I'm trying to avoid any spoilers other than what would be in the manual, so I don't know what's safe to look at in the community wikis.

Boom, and I rolled a 31 with the Naga thief. And he had 6hp. I guess that's good enough, though I'm expecting many deaths on the way.

Ranger does almost everything a theif does and I have rolled as high as 22 Hp with one and they can get up to 20 hp per level as well. They are also the same spells and get them earlier. The only reason to go thief is for robbery which you can get on a bard anyway.

I am not entirely sure if a Ranger can wear all the armor/weapons that a warrior can but just from starting equipment you can tell they get more options than theif there as well. Honestly thief is kind of pointless as currently constructed.

lorn

Educated
I always wonder how children are taught in the Grimoire world.

"Name the most dangerous predator in all of hyperborea." - "the common dragonfly."

Ridiculous how they oneshot everythnig, when they hit, as their onhit effect seems to simply 100% of a characters hp.

Also skilling berserk is a pain. My berserker hits my own party 75% of the time even at 50 skill, always does triple attacks against my own party and when he somehow decides to actually hit an enemy it's no penetration or miss.

Are there any more perk chests after samhain?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If I could re-do my party, I'd go with two berserkers in the front-line instead of a warrior and a berserker, and with two rangers in the second line instead of a ranger and a thief. I don't think warriors have any advantage over berserkers, who not only have berserk but more importantly the all-powerful lethal blow skill. And rangers similarly have the lethal blow skill and are much better fighters than thieves, with the only downside being a lack of lock-picking --- but I could have used my Sage for lock-picking anyway.

And I'd change the race of my Drow wizard(ess) to something that doesn't take an annoyingly long time to regain mana. :argh:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Where's that area you can only reach when you don't press a wall switch too early? Found a wall switch in the Vhampyr castle, but don't wanna push it yet because of that :M

gestalt11

Arbiter
If I could re-do my party, I'd go with two berserkers in the front-line instead of a warrior and a berserker, and with two rangers in the second line instead of a ranger and a thief. I don't think warriors have any advantage over berserkers, who not only have berserk but more importantly the all-powerful lethal blow skill. And rangers similarly have the lethal blow skill and are much better fighters than thieves, with the only downside being a lack of lock-picking --- but I could have used my Sage for lock-picking anyway.

And I'd change the race of my Drow wizard(ess) to something that doesn't take an annoyingly long time to regain mana. :argh:

Ranger gets lockpicking. I dunno if there are no differences in Equipment between ranger/berserk/warrior then I would almost prefer ranger over all of them. Saurian Berserk is quite good with its extra modifer but wolfin ranger is even better. Berserk do get a bit more HP but overall by level 20 they will be close (I rarely saw much more than and avg of 3-4 points HP difference between ranger and berserker while savescumming stuff).

Also Barrower Thaumaturge is a pretty solid caster. Although Bard's spell list is pretty crazy good.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Where's that area you can only reach when you don't press a wall switch too early? Found a wall switch in the Vhampyr castle, but don't wanna push it yet because of that :M
There might be more than one, but the one that I know of is located in
the Hold of Knossos, part of the set of levels that begins with the Hecatombs of the Sphinx. The pit you fall down is right next to the button, near the start of the level.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
the Hold of Knossos, part of the set of levels that begins with the Hecatombs of the Sphinx. The pit you fall down is right next to the button, near the start of the level.

Wasn't the one Viata talked about in Skulheim?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Could it be that there are stength-sapping enemies in the vampire castle? I just noticed my berserk was encumbered for some reason, and then looked at her strength stat... which was at 36, although it had been over 70 before!

Viata

Arcane

Wasn't the one Viata talked about in Skulheim?
Skulheim is the other, on first level. There is a switch right next to a pit you can fall in NE. IF you press the switch, that pit stays open forever. You need to close it to pass(even if you close it, press it the switch will open it again)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Updated the Professions section of the Grimoire Wiki:

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Professions

The thing is becoming almost a manual on its own. The only thing we don't know for sure is what the Attributes do exactly, except STR and AGI affecting penetration and SPD obviously affecting who acts first in combat.

mondblut

Arcane
1. Where do I find the answers to puzzles on a chest and a pedestal in Saltwyrm caves? (want direction, not solutions)

OK, I figured out the pedestal thanks to the rsf unpacker, but...

just how I am supposed to figure it out that Jaqque is interested in deep one totem? even mindread didn't bring it up! Viata ?
Even GlibGlob is not helpful, he just says "it's the same figures as in our ritual" and that's it - how am I supposed to know what happens in their ritual without getting Jaqque interested?

Last edited:

ukdouble1

Educated
After talking with the captain, the party received the key from armory. At the same time, the soldiers are hostile. Is this a bug or normal?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Updated the Professions section of the Grimoire Wiki:

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Professions

The thing is becoming almost a manual on its own. The only thing we don't know for sure is what the Attributes do exactly, except STR and AGI affecting penetration and SPD obviously affecting who acts first in combat.
Humans don't get a bonus for Berserker. It's Leonar.

You're right. Whoever originally created that list read their own table wrong.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
After talking with the captain, the party received the key from armory. At the same time, the soldiers are hostile. Is this a bug or normal?

Don't go into their barracks, the gear is downstairs.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Sounds like random encounters. If they are off, there are not attacks downstairs.

ukdouble1

Educated
Sounds like random encounters
Yes, its random encounters. Over the past 25 years, it has not been necessary to kill representatives of friendly factions at random encounters. Because of this, I stop believing in the created world. In other games, for example, a "traitor" was added to their names.

Viata

Arcane
1. Where do I find the answers to puzzles on a chest and a pedestal in Saltwyrm caves? (want direction, not solutions)

OK, I figured out the pedestal thanks to the rsf unpacker, but...

just how I am supposed to figure it out that Jaqque is interested in deep one totem? even mindread didn't bring it up! Viata ?
Even GlibGlob is not helpful, he just says "it's the same figures as in our ritual" and that's it - how am I supposed to know what happens in their ritual without getting Jaqque interested?
Well, I tried to show it to Neriad, given that she lives in the sea, but she was just scared of it. Nick just ignored it. Then, by elimination, the next person near that place was Jaqque, so I just showed it to him. Remember you said you stole a book from him? That book is Pierre's diary, which explains how to solve this puzzle. I was not able to join Pierre's group so I was unable to ask things to Pierre, but I do think that if you are able to join Pierre's group, mindreading him should show deep one totem, which would probably make Pierre tell you that Jaqque has the answer.

I'm stuck in an exploration conundrum...

in the Bowels of Samhain and the Samhain Underworld. I searched high and low and cannot for the life of me find the book for Eulogy Tribute to hand in to Dirge. Did I miss a secret square somewhere in the bowels or am I just ultra retarded? I've done just about everything that I can get my hands on here. Do I need to go up the mountainside to find the book or something? I've only gone up there for a bit and found that old knight that has something to do with the mausoleum but fuck if I'm gonna go grind through those monster cubbies right now...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Sounds like random encounters
Yes, its random encounters. Over the past 25 years, it has not been necessary to kill representatives of friendly factions at random encounters. Because of this, I stop believing in the created world. In other games, for example, a "traitor" was added to their names.

I think you've never played Wizardry 7 to claim bullshit like that. Though yeah, it has been more 25 years since that, but Grimoire is a spirirtual sequel to that game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm stuck in an exploration conundrum...

in the Bowels of Samhain and the Samhain Underworld. I searched high and low and cannot for the life of me find the book for Eulogy Tribute to hand in to Dirge. Did I miss a secret square somewhere in the bowels or am I just ultra retarded? I've done just about everything that I can get my hands on here. Do I need to go up the mountainside to find the book or something? I've only gone up there for a bit and found that old knight that has something to do with the mausoleum but fuck if I'm gonna go grind through those monster cubbies right now...

It's all on those two levels - most of it in the Bowels, except for I think one items that is hidden close to the talking head.

ukdouble1

Educated
I think you've never played Wizardry 7 to claim bullshit like that. Though yeah, it has been more 25 years since that, but Grimoire is a spirirtual sequel to that game.
I finished wiz7 3 times (with wiz6 party - for ring, new party and solo). Only dans (monks) was partially hostle and partially friendly, and, if my memory serves me, they either disappeared, or became neutral after meditation in monastery. Umpanies was friendly, T-rangs - was friendly after talking with queen (and became hostle after killing her). Rattkins was сompletely hostle, except two NPC. But their friendliness (as well as the king of the orcs) is explained by the situation.
And in principle, to hell with them, the main thing is that there are no factions and i cant screw anything here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom