Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pony Island

v1rus

Arcane
Is it possible there is no thread? Tried looking but didnt find one. Craziest game I've played recently, a heartfelt recommendation, truly. Its an indie game that can be beat in 2-3 hours, but its crazily fun, if a bit easy.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You gave the reason yourself why there is no thread for this game: It's a crazy ride while it lasts, but at the end of the day it's just too short and too linear.

Also, a dedicated thread would spoil the surprise of the game. That's why I haven't started a thread about Eversion, a game that's very similar to Pony Island in many ways... but better. Eversion still sits with me, many years after I've played it. Pony Island does not and I played it last year.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Also, a dedicated thread would spoil the surprise of the game.
There is no surprise. 'Pony Island is a suspense puzzle game in disguise' are the very first words in the description. The steam page immediately lets the cat out of the bag. Games like Pony Island and Spec Ops: The Line are at their best when played without any knowledge of the swerve, but if the most interesting aspect of the game isn't advertised, why would anyone buy it in the first place? Conundrum!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's called "subtlety in advertising". You hint at something when marketing it, but don't reveal exactly what it is.

That tagline you mentioned is doing its job quite well: It shows a game that has a few tricks up its sleeve, but doesn't tell you what the tricks are. Interested? Come on in and have a look. Even when you know a surprise is coming it may still get you.

In these cases it's better to let the standard marketing forces take the reins, instead of having a dedicated thread for games like this. It would end up being just one gigantic spoiler, so any impact they might get from the game is lost.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Soo... it's worth the one dorra it costs after all? I might get it during the weekend then.

v1rus

Arcane
You gave the reason yourself why there is no thread for this game: It's a crazy ride while it lasts, but at the end of the day it's just too short and too linear.

Also, a dedicated thread would spoil the surprise of the game. That's why I haven't started a thread about Eversion, a game that's very similar to Pony Island in many ways... but better. Eversion still sits with me, many years after I've played it. Pony Island does not and I played it last year.

Ooh, I've actually also played (and beat) Eversion, around 2009. While I was quite impressed with the game, I somehow just forgot it by now. Then again, I was but 15 back then, and as such, probably couldnt grasp the insanity of Eversion in its entirety. Ty for reminding me, gonna give it a second spin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom