Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Notice where they get their "inspirations" from. No comment.

In before Awakened souls change your sexuality. Aloth becoming less gay as time goes on because Iselmyr was a lesbian? You decide.

Also, in before "conversion therapy" performed by animancers trying to Awaken souls with the desired sexuality.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So Iren was spot on about the gayness.

These idle animations in and out of the inventory view seem to be seriously intended for characterization of the party member. Do sidekicks also have them, or they have a smaller variety of them?

Lios

Cipher
Irenaeus Yes Aloth should be more feminine.
He had a horny female redneck inside him for decades.
Even his POE avatar shows him unamused by the aerial ball in his hand.

Lacrymas I enjoy your posts a lot but you should drink a bit of whiskey more.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I, on th other hand, think they're kind of nice, but ultimately a waste of time that could be used for better stuff.
go fuck yourself

jon_irenicus_by_cg_zander-d6sv9zb.jpg
the manliest gay wizard there ever was/is/will be

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
All those years I never realized it was this leather cap that is covering his head, I always thought he had a fake face attached like a mask or something like that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Uhm, yes, we have had good villains, much better than Irenicus. Kreia comes to mind, obviously. I don't think there's anything special about Irenicus, apart from his voice, I guess? The best villains are those you can understand. Tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner as they say. Just going after power and wealth at all costs is not enough because there is no ideology behind that. It's also for its own sake. Irenicus was kind of a remake of Sarevok, desiring to become a god in the elven pantheon, which, again, is vague in human terms because we can't imagine being such a thing. Kreia was right and wanted freedom and triumph over those who would chain us (in this context the Force), there is a real, worthy aspect to her desire. The "love" of Irenicus was an excuse, not a motive.

Bioware could never write a villain who is an ideological foil for anything, it's always something grand and silly, like becoming gods, destroying everything or it's nonsensical like Loghain's betrayal. Their best attempt was DA2, where there was no central villain and, even though the end shits itself with the fucking idol, Meredith is an exploration of how over-vigilance can turn into witch-hunts and paranoia. Not a good exploration, but it could've been and there was a good idea behind that. The more she cracked the whip the more the mages rebelled, causing her to squeeze even harder. The situation at Kirkwall was a vicious cycle that could've been handled very well, I also liked how Anders blew up the church (I know many people don't, but they don't understand drama), it was a very good writing move from Bioware that had the tension of worldviews behind it. It had the potential to change a lot of things and had they focused on that in DA3, rather than turning Corypheus into Bioware villain No 58349589340 (his character is absolutely wasted as well, his view point is as unique as the Architect's was and could've been great), they could've saved the franchise. Alas. Solas is an attempt for a sequel hook, not truly the villain of DA:I.

I don't know where I'm going with this lol. Let's hope PoE2 has a good villain? If it has a villain at all, a lot of stories don't need villains or antagonists.

polo

Magister
Irenicus was best villain, very original. Bad guy because of daddy issues, and stuff, looking for rightgeous vengeance. Shame his voice acting was shit. /s

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=451#updates

Update #39 - From the Feed of the Director Part III
POSTED: 08/15/2017

Greetings adventurers! We're back with another episode of 'From the Feed of the Director.' This time we have a few surprises for you, as we look into our internal Obsidian blogs and pull out only the juiciest insights. You'll also get some information on some of the things that Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Game Director, Josh Sawyer, has shared on social media as well, for the gadfly-types among you.

In this video:
  • "This ship's wheel is too darn big!"
  • Bombs of the Deadfire - to throw, or not to throw?
  • Guns Work Best When You Line Up and Everyone Shoots at Once, by Ulysses S. Magran
  • Dancin' and barfin'
  • Yes, Josh's cat is in the game again
In our next video, Josh is going to explain the multiclassing and subclassing systems while showing them off in the game. And yes, you will see multiclass names!

We also want to remind everyone that Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition is coming to consoles in just a couple of weeks! You can pre-order now for the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One and explore Eora from the comfort of your couch as of August 29th.

Thank you for joining us and we'll see you in a few of weeks for Update 40!

Be sure to join the conversation and our community over on our forums. In case you missed out on exploring Neketaka, check out our last update!

Lacrymas

Arcane
The models and animations look way better, they don't look as foreign an element anymore, but the whole partying scene looks like it came out of the Sims, kinda unnatural. Also, I think they should be toning down the SFX, not adding more crap on top. With all the bombs and smoke, and spells, and ability SFX, I imagine it's going to be worse than a JRPG. I do like the bombs, though. I want more gadgets in general, maybe give some to rogues and rangers?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The models and animations look way better, they don't look as foreign an element anymore, but the whole partying scene looks like it came out of the Sims, kinda unnatural. Also, I think they should be toning down the SFX, not adding more crap on top. With all the bombs and smoke, and spells, and ability SFX, I imagine it's going to be worse than a JRPG. I do like the bombs, though. I want more gadgets in general, maybe give some to rogues and rangers?

I think their change to clear out all the effect layers whenever you pause may have resulted in them feeling empowered to add even more effects. Not sure that's a great idea, but I guess we'll see how the better spacing and the fade-during-pause mechanic work in practice.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
That smoke FX on the arquebus looks pretty fucking good. If only they had a sound designer that could match that quality.

On the other hand, those dances are fucking retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom