Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Falksi

Arcane
First REAL screenshot leaked.

It will finally be the game that BSN always wanted.

9ssfJIl.jpg

I'm usually on tapatalk and have no options to "Funny", "Brofist", "Agree" etc. but this deserves all 3 *tipshat*

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/alexis-kenne...ne-whos-played-fallen-london-and-sunless-sea/

Alexis Kennedy's part in next Dragon Age will 'immediately look familiar to anyone who's played Fallen London, Sunless Sea'
"There will definitely be that oddness visible there."

In February, we learned that Failbetter Games founder Alexis Kennedy is working on something within the Dragon Age franchise. "It's a bit of lore which has not been addressed much to date in Dragon Age," Kennedy told Eurogamerat the time. What exactly that is remains to be seen, but those familiar with the writer and game designer's back catalogue can expect something typically odd.

"Some months ago I did an interview with another publication [see EG link above] and that publication adduced from what I said that Dragon Age 4 is in the works—which isn't something I said, but isn't an insane deduction," Kennedy tells me. "Mike Laidlaw, the creative director of Dragon Age, did an interview a month or so after that and said, Mr Kennedy is correct, there is a project being worked on that's in the Dragon Age franchise, and that's where the detail train stops.

"I was given considerable creative freedom to work on a particular bit of the lore, which I think is a bit of the lore that people might guess that I would be drawn to. I suspect that when the project that was described reaches the light of day—which another writer has taken over and will do a lot more work to make it their own—people will probably look and say: yes, that's obviously the Kennedy bit."

Beyond that, Kennedy remains expectedly tight-lipped. Speaking directly to the so-called "Kennedy bit", though, he expects those well acquainted with the oddness of his past Failbetter works to feel at home.

He adds: "Unless it's ironed out by the challenges and vicissitudes of AAA production, a part of the game will immediately look familiar to anyone who's played Fallen London and Sunless Sea. There will definitely be that oddness visible in there."

Speculate away in the comments below, or read about what we want from a new Dragon Age game by following that link.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-11-bioware-already-has-plan-for-theoretical-dragon-age-5

BioWare has already plotted out "theoretical" Dragon Age 4 and 5

Mass Effect might have been put on ice and all recent attention diverted to Anthem, but BioWare still has a long plan for its Dragon Age franchise.

Dragon Age boss Mike Laidlaw told a fan on Twitter his team already had ideas for a "theoretical" Dragon Age 5.

"There is no planned ending for DA," Laidlaw said, in response to a question asking if the fantasy role-playing series once had a set conclusion.

"There is an evolving plan that tends to look two games ahead or so."

This long-planned focus is evident in the games themselves. Dragon Age Inquisition's Big Bad Corypheus was first featured in Dragon Age 2 DLC. Meanwhile, Inquisition's excellent epilogue DLC Trespasser amply set up the forthcoming Dragon Age 4.

"Thus, I could tell you what -could- be in a theoretical game five," Laidlaw continued, "if there were a theoretical game four happening."

BioWare and EA have yet to formally announce Dragon Age 4 (which will likely be named something different when finally revealed), though it is an open secret the core Dragon Age team within BioWare have been working on the series' next project for some time.

Eurogamer previously chatted about this next Dragon Age project with one of its writers, Alexis Kennedy, of Sunless Sea fame. He didn't say the words Dragon Age 4 - but then he didn't really need to.

It's reassuring to know BioWare has plans for the future of Dragon Age, after the rocky year the company has faced so far. Mass Effect Andromeda launched in March to underwhelming reviews. Last month, BioWare's Montreal studio was formerly closed and its staff transferred elsewhere within EA. And while another Dragon Age is widely anticipated, BioWare has its head down on big new IP Anthem. Anthem is not due until next year, so it's unlikely we'll see the next Dragon Age until 2019.

All of which means that story plans may well be changed, as new ideas surface. "I strongly believe that if you try to hold to a rigid plan that is a decade old by the time you reach the end, you are wasting ops," Laidlaw concluded.

Let's hope we see the next Dragon Age sooner rather than later.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"There is no planned ending for DA," Laidlaw said, in response to a question asking if the fantasy role-playing series once had a set conclusion.

Yeah I'm not certain where a bunch of folks got the idea that DA would ever end. This is Bioware's evergreen fantasy setting, like Elder Scrolls is Bethesda's. DA will only end if Bioware stops making fantasy games.

Vorark

Erudite
Remember Laidlaw talking about how DA2 would have "super hot" graphics. :roll:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If Dragon age Diversity fails like the Mass Effect andromeda,then it will be the last dragon age.I am curious if in this one we will able to fuck some dragons.

Falksi

Arcane
The Bioware/EA combo will at least ensure that this game will follow whatever trend is popular at the time.
After cramming in a totally pointless & boring"open world" to DA:I for no good reason, this is gunna be "Dragon Age:Witcher" imo. We'll likely see something similar to witcher senses, and I'm wondering if they'll go full on action-rpg now too.

Quillon

Arcane
and I'm wondering if they'll go full on action-rpg now too.

DAI was full on action.

Before they go anywhere they need to fire the art guy who's obsessed with hexagons. DAI was full of them and recently played some MEA, same thing wtf.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Because DA is the future after the Reapers came and some guy chose the red ending!

Everyone jokes about Bethesda creating some massive interlinked continuity, but I think BioWare would be more likely to do this.

Rev

Arcane
They claimed that ME:A was 'inspired by' TW3 and you see how that turned out.
But ME:A was in the works since 2013, way before TW3 was released and became a huge hit. They couldn't toss everything they worked on in the bin and start a new game, and they also had a lot of production problems as we all know.
On the other hand, they probably started working on DA 4 the last year, or two years ago at best, so they'll probably try to "witcherize" their next game. Problem is, BioWare is nowhere near CDP's quality in the writing department, and pretty much all their talented designer have already left the studio, so it will suck anyway.

Falksi

Arcane
Therein lies the problem - they should be making games which suit their strength and their vision. DA:I was wank, and a large part of that wank was because it was trying to be Skyrim. ME:A was wank, and a large part of that wank was because it was trying to be Skyrim/TW3 in space.

Bioware's first priority if they want to survive is to stop trying to copy others & follow trends, and start making games which makes the most of their talent.

Sadly they & the EA suits which order them about are fucktards, and will likely just try and meld DA:I with TW3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom