Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Looking at the recent positive reviews, seems like it's mostly normies who aren't used to reading a lot and are easily impressed by big words.

Like what? "Make America Great Again"?

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I still hink that it could have been really good, if they had just cut out, the second act with the tombs and expanded the Bloom as the second half of the game. There were so many possibilities with this location and with more gameplay, it could have been very good. I think there were too much storythreads, that didn't got as deep, as they wanted. I guess, they just wanted too much and couldn't handle the budget properly.

Prime Junta

I still hink that it could have been really good, if they had just cut out, the second act with the tombs and expanded the Bloom as the second half of the game. There were so many possibilities with this location and with more gameplay, it could have been very good. I think there were too much storythreads, that didn't got as deep, as they wanted. I guess, they just wanted too much and couldn't handle the budget properly.

This game could never have been good.

Some other game built on the same premise could have been. The Bloom had promise. I sometimes lay awake at nights, wondering what would have happened if George Ziets had had full, dictatorial creative control over this instead of the crew of nice, well-meaning, dull people who actually made it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Nice" Have you seen McCuck's twitter feed lately? Or his snarky response to that one guy here who was right about ToN? :M

Prime Junta

"Nice" Have you seen McCuck's twitter feed lately? Or his snarky response to that one guy here who was right about ToN? :M

I haven't paid attention.

In any case the poor man is broken and bitter now. It's what happens to nice people when niceness isn't enough.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
This game could never have been good.

Some other game built on the same premise could have been. The Bloom had promise. I sometimes lay awake at nights, wondering what would have happened if George Ziets had had full, dictatorial creative control over this instead of the crew of nice, well-meaning, dull people who actually made it.

Not, it could not, because a gameplay built around skill/stat checks are not rewarding or active enough even when the story is good. Even PS:T had tons of combat, etc. The game is not good because of the combat, but it was needed. That is one of the main lessons that we should learn from T:ToN fuck ups and that proved everybody wrong. They need to develop a new dialogue system that is complex enough or take combat seriously.

Prime Junta

It's never enough.

This is true. If you're sufficiently sheltered though you might go a long time before realising it.

If you're nice, people will eventually take advantage of you.

This isn't the problem. The problem is that niceness is a conflict avoidance tactic. Some conflicts just need to be fought. Avoid them, and things will go sour in any of a number of ways, being taken advantage of is one of the less bad ones.

(The difficulty is being able to tell which ones are the ones that need fighting. Continuously fighting over trivialities won't work either, it'll just give you an ulcer and also girls won't like you.)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now that all the hype, controversy, anger, and most importantly, patching, has died down, I finally sat down last night to start playing this game. Not determined to hate it, hoping to enjoy it, but will listen to the little red troll sitting on my shoulder if he has comments throughout.

I liked the opening sequence with all the flashbacks. It set an interesting stage for the protagonist. Less enjoyable was the initial meeting with Aligern and Callistege, not because the characters are a bit bland - I don't hate them - but because of the huge unironic infodump about who and what the Last Castoff and Changing God are. This would have been a great mystery to drip feed. Oh well, I'll roll with it.

Also, I'm finding that the dialogue system is a bit coercive. There are a lot of questions I didn't really want to ask, but so far I feel like I've been forced to seek out a lot of background information I'd be happy to skip. Where's the option for "Yo strangers, where's the recuperation tank?"

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the opening is the worst part of the game imo, too many exposition drops, too much "hey look at how WACKY this place is!!"

thankfully it gets better as you progress and once you make it to the bloom it is pretty good.. if only the whole game could be as good as the bloom was (I liked the area, it was cool.. the quests are better designed/less straightforward and the crisis system is actually put to good use)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now that all the hype, controversy, anger, and most importantly, patching, has died down, I finally sat down last night to start playing this game. Not determined to hate it, hoping to enjoy it, but will listen to the little red troll sitting on my shoulder if he has comments throughout.

I liked the opening sequence with all the flashbacks. It set an interesting stage for the protagonist. Less enjoyable was the initial meeting with Aligern and Callistege, not because the characters are a bit bland - I don't hate them - but because of the huge unironic infodump about who and what the Last Castoff and Changing God are. This would have been a great mystery to drip feed. Oh well, I'll roll with it.

Also, I'm finding that the dialogue system is a bit coercive. There are a lot of questions I didn't really want to ask, but so far I feel like I've been forced to seek out a lot of background information I'd be happy to skip. Where's the option for "Yo strangers, where's the recuperation tank?"
I was actually thinking of playing Torment too, maybe hopefully all the patching and balancing at least made gameplay side of things enjoyable but guess I will wait out a bit more for the EE version for the "definitive" Torment since I rarely have time to replay games (other than Souls and Staker series of course)

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will wait out a bit more for the EE version for the "definitive" Torment since I rarely have time to replay games
Is there going to be an Enhanced Edition?
It's been three months since the big patch that added Oom and the Voluminous Codex and fixed a bunch of stuff, with zero word from inXile on further development. Now they are busting ass on Bard's Tale and Wasteland 3. I see no reason to believe that a 2.0 version of TTON is on the whiteboard.

Starwars

Arcane
Let's hope that you don't run into the gamebreaking questbug that has been there since day 1 and has still not been fixed with the Oom patch (you should be fine if you keep a few saves though).

Zombra

Patron
Let's hope that you don't run into the gamebreaking questbug that has been there since day 1 and has still not been fixed with the Oom patch (you should be fine if you keep a few saves though).
Is there a particular place where I should take special care to keep a saved game? Like "make sure you have a hard save from before you enter the bakery"?

Starwars

Arcane
Before you enter the "something something Lanzaret", can't remember the exact name. It's the place you can't get into at first in the Reef of the Fallen Worlds.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there a particular place where I should take special care to keep a saved game? Like "make sure you have a hard save from before you enter the bakery"?

Despite that quest bug already mentioned (which I didn't encounter) the game was pretty much bugfree the moment it came out.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Despite that quest bug already mentioned (which I didn't encounter) the game was pretty much bugfree the moment it came out.

That's because every time they found a bug , they just removed the bugged content.

Zombra

Patron
Still enjoying the game. The first Crisis with 400 robots, waiting for their turns was annoying, but easy enough to get over with quickly by following the convenient on-screen instructions ... which in this case at least I have no problem with. I wouldn't even really think about it if I wasn't trying to be a conscientious critic. After that I bought my guy a sword 'cause I figured maybe I should have one. Would be great to end up never using it throughout the game. Time will tell. I liked meeting Rhin; I hope she'll stick around. I helped Tybir with his problem and now he's following me everywhere for no evident reason, which I hate in RPGs. I will definitely let him go if a companion with a reason to exist comes along.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The first Crisis with 400 robots, waiting for their turns was annoying, but easy enough to get over with quickly by following the convenient on-screen instructions ... which in this case at least I have no problem with.

I think there's much more of this kind of stuff, if what I've heard is correct.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom