Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

FWIW I got a taste of the consequences of failure in my dip into the game.

I did not want to savescum. It really was that satisfying. (Also laugh-out-loud funny.)

Lexxx20

Learned
Kasparov, Marat Sar Thank both of you guys!

Also! Dude, Lexxx20, a massive thank you for doing this!

It was a pleasure :) Will you do more blog posts about Attributes like you did for Intellect? I'd translate them as well, they're fun to read :)

PS Robert, I'd like to say that I 300% agree with you about "betraying" your character and their choices. Not a lot of people agree or understand this concept but I want to thank you for working on the game with such respect and cherishing this aspect of roleplaying.

Last edited:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Kasparov, Marat Sar Thank both of you guys!

Also! Dude, Lexxx20, a massive thank you for doing this!
Will you do more blog posts about Attributes like you did for Intellect? I'd translate them as well, they're fun to read :)
Lately it seems we´re pressed for time all of the time - so no promises. But whenever we get a moment - we´ll write one up. Gamescom is just around the corner and we´re giving the playable build a once-over and the team is split between that and continuing on developing the game.

Wok

Literate
I have just signed up to ask this one question:

The game is advertised as being "procedural". This keyword usually corresponds to "procedural generation" of the world (Spelunky) or quests (Krater).
However, this does not seem to be compatible with dialogue-heavy games. What exactly is procedural about your game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer

TBeholder

Novice
Good: generally it sounds as another break out of the used up, rusty mold, so good luck.
Bad: the warning sign here is that whoever wrote this was unable or unwilling to express thoughts clearly.
Funny:
  • A realistic skill system lets you develop original ideas using Conceptual Thinking,
"Original"?
  • tune your nervous system with Electrochemistry,
Chromium-plated nerves? :D
The choice of terminology is a bit weird. Does the team include Richard Baker?

Also...
Thought Cabinet, an inventory for thoughts, where you process the ideas you’ve stumbled on. Ideas become fixtures, permanent beliefs you can’t get rid of, even if you want to.
I can only guess, but… is this a freeform "alignment" system much like e.g. in Spellbound Kingdoms - arbitrary beliefs and motivations, like "greed", "chivalry", "showing off", "clan loyalty" or "for the King!" can be picked and then affect the character's actions, with possible advancement down the branch?
Only in CRPG this would of course mainly affect the subset of dialogue choices?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good: generally it sounds as another break out of the used up, rusty mold, so good luck.
Bad: the warning sign here is that whoever wrote this was unable or unwilling to express thoughts clearly.
Funny:
  • A realistic skill system lets you develop original ideas using Conceptual Thinking,
"Original"?

Also...
Thought Cabinet, an inventory for thoughts, where you process the ideas you’ve stumbled on. Ideas become fixtures, permanent beliefs you can’t get rid of, even if you want to.
I can only guess, but… is this a freeform "alignment" system much like e.g. in Spellbound Kingdoms - arbitrary beliefs and motivations, like "greed", "chivalry", "showing off", "clan loyalty" or "for the King!" can be picked and then affect the character's actions, with possible advancement down the branch?

Go to their website or read any of the interviews--there are tons of great explanations of the thought cabinet.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Funny:
"Original"?

Also...
I wouldn't waste too much time dissecting the blurb.

Electrochemistry and Though Cabinet are names of game-world concepts and systems. They should make sense in context. Thought Cabinet could indeed be compared to a reputation system that opens or closes whole branches of dialogue, but it is different in that it gives bonuses and penalties to your skills. Think of Fallout Perks that are more closely tied to player behaviour in-game than the meta of leveling up a character.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
rkoz53os9ahz.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom