Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleve is indeed a celebrity far beyond the codex. He has his own dedicated page on the batshit 'rationalwiki' :

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Vault-Co

Yeah, it's totally "rational." They cherry picked 17 years on the internet, took half my satirical posts and presented them as the most important cuts from the blog.

It's another smear site and if you don't see that maybe it's all you deserve. Maybe their low opinion of you is accurate. That site is nothing but backing all orthodoxy 100%. If it's on TV they say then ITZ TRUE.

Since I started Vault-Co (a simple blog never promoted anywhere and never advertised or craving hits or aspiring to be anything but a simple blog) the wealthiest people on the planet have purchased shelters for themselves and their families at a rate never seen before in human history. Anybody with money is buying a shelter. They are still telling the common man that people like me are crazy and the future is a bright happy place of rainbows and unicorn ponies. Their feet and wallets are telling a completely different story.

Shelter building since I started Vault-Co is now one of the largest and most profitable businesses ON EARTH.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Seems like Cleve broke the random encounters again.
Yeah, it's a bit weird that it's so fiddly. I assumed that it was as simple as setting a threshold for a random number.

He admitted using memory blobs for passing parameters... Who knows what kind of shit code he wrote for random encounters. Another thing - as i recall JIT compiler for AngelScript kinda buggy - so if he using JIT game will be broken.

Oh dear, I thought we'd moved on from Fortran-77 style common blocks by now...
What is bad about memory blobs for passing parameters?

I understood it to mean use of something akin to globals to pass information around, which in that case means a lack of locality, lack of a well-specified interface to the function, completely defeats code reuse.

I like a guy who thinks it is called "A MEMORY BLOB" critiquing my approach. It's a POINTER or a REFERENCE. Standard C++ variable passing. There is no such as a MEMORY BLOB. Bet you this guy is a master of everything.

Vrab

Learned
It's another smear site and if you don't see that maybe it's all you deserve. Maybe their low opinion of you is accurate. That site is nothing but backing all orthodoxy 100%. If it's on TV they say then ITZ TRUE.

To be honest, I tend to feel sympathy for people with articles about them on rationalwiki almost as a knee jerk reaction. I'm not into blobbers and honestly don't care much for Grimoire as a game but when I read the rw article on you I knew you must be a really nice fellow. No sarcasm or anything. And while I'm not playing the game, I'm greatly enjoying the whole surrounding drama (in the literal, positive sense). So as you see, at least something good comes out of rw.

I wish you best of luck with everything. Except you won't see my money because I'm a poor south-east European sapiens who isn't about to give 37 euros for a game he won't play! :dealwithit:But other than that.

PEACH

Arbiter
Cleve, you may have responded to this before but what's going on with this:

When switching classes to Assassin, Pirate, Jester the specialized skills dont seem to be getting the proper flags turned on to make the respective class skills useable.

Is that accurate?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
BOIuTqz.png

Druids in Grimoire are properly evil. :salute:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
The patch notes for 1.2.0.22 include "Wandering encounter adjustments", was this a fix to the issue of the always-onsalught encounter rates or was this a result of the adjustment? The reason I ask is because I noticed a very high encounter rate in 21 (haven't updated yet).

People complained too few. Even with an adjustable setting nobody is happy.

It's because the range between rare and onslaught is too small. That's why we keep see-sawing between too few and too many. You need to stretch the range so that rare = V1.2.0.21 rare, and onslaught = v1.2.0.22 onslaught.

You might want to consider cutting off the distribution as well, not rolling for random encounters until x turns have passed since the last one.

The distribution mod is the one I was thinking of might make all these people happy.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't know Cleve Blakemore was that important! :obviously:

If you find any 60 page threads by me on the internet on a secret forum or email list where I am plotting to destroy the careers of journalists and working with other journalists to get then fired from their jobs and harass them with phone calls, please tell me because I will definitely have myself committed. That's INSANE. Forty and fifty page threads where we discuss somebody else and how we are going to ruin them THAT'S CRAZY STUFF.

I cannot believe the people at PC GAMER were still employed by that magazine after it all came out. It is disgusting the owners of that rag do not realise such things are a firing offense. Once the email list was exposed every single one of those top editors should have been sacked. Mainstream media is evil and the people who own it are evil.

Nobody mentally healthy goes on and on like this about some person on the internet who said they think abortion is wrong or that Stephen Hawking was replaced by a double. It's mad dog foaming at the mouth crazy. The GameJournoPros mailing list is cause for all those people to lose their jobs, every single one of them.

P.S. Been laughing behind their backs at all of them for 7 years reading their ugly exchanges and twee little rage fits behind the backs of people WHO JUST DON'T CARE MUCH ABOUT THEM IN RETURN AT ALL. These rocket scientists apparently never figured out what the "FORWARD" button does on the top of their emails. OUR SOOPER SEKRET EMAIL LIST WILL NEVER BE COMPROMISED BY TEH KLEEVE BROS. NOT EVVEN THE NEANDERTHAL CAN KRACK OUR SOOPER TEKNOLOGEE. Laughed and laughed. It would take two dozen of these guys to make a man. You get a powerful urge to slap their mom for this travesty.

I can't believe that any gaming sites survived gamergate. With all the leaks, the gamejurnos pro stuff, the gamer are dead stuff and all the other shenanigans, I can't believe anyone continues to read them at all.... AT least it gave me a new apreciation for the character of Ellsworth Toohey in the Fountainhead. I always found him over the top in his scheming and the fact that he was solely motivated by his need to destroy everything great. I guess if you fled the Soviet Union you have a good understanding how fucked in the head those Marxists truly are...

And given the greatness of Grimoire they are drawn to it like moths to the flame (and they are about as successful in affecting the flame of INCLINE). What I find more disapointing is that there are so many Devs out there that are so incredibly petty and jealous.
Take IndieDerekD from the Qt3 Forums for example who can't fathom that one of the best games of all time sells better, than his shovelware. His righteous indignation that you can be successful while obviously having the wrong politics. I'd really thought there would be at least a modicum of respect for someone working 20 years on his passion project. But of course it is Gamers who are entitled and lack respect for Devs...

Sorry for the rant. What I am tryin to say is enjoy your Victory and drink their tears :positive:As a wise Thal once said: crush your enemies, to see them fall at your feet -- take their horses and goods and hear the lamentation of their women. That is best in life. :obviously:
:ibelieveincleve::excellent:

ukdouble1

Educated
The longer I play, the more suspicious it seems to me game mechanics and the less the game reminds me wiz7. On the musical instruments in my party are those who turn first (and not those who have useless, it seems for me, the skill "music"). My thief has the skill 65 in daggers and 0 in swords, but with a dagger he hits 2 times out of 5, and with sword he hits nine times out of ten. For any value of the "Sorcerers / Alchemy / ..." skill, its owner can learn and successfully cast any spell that the class and level allow. In the process of experimenting with different parties, I had a bad suspicion that most of the combat and magic skills do not affect anything.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Seems like Cleve broke the random encounters again.
Yeah, it's a bit weird that it's so fiddly. I assumed that it was as simple as setting a threshold for a random number.

He admitted using memory blobs for passing parameters... Who knows what kind of shit code he wrote for random encounters. Another thing - as i recall JIT compiler for AngelScript kinda buggy - so if he using JIT game will be broken.

Oh dear, I thought we'd moved on from Fortran-77 style common blocks by now...
What is bad about memory blobs for passing parameters?

I understood it to mean use of something akin to globals to pass information around, which in that case means a lack of locality, lack of a well-specified interface to the function, completely defeats code reuse.

I like a guy who thinks it is called "A MEMORY BLOB" critiquing my approach. It's a POINTER or a REFERENCE. Standard C++ variable passing. There is no such as a MEMORY BLOB. Bet you this guy is a master of everything.

I have a master's degree in computer science ... what the fuck is a memory blob? The only term I can think of even vaguely like that a database thing. Where do people get this shit?

Mech

Cipher
Anyone who uses pointers should have known better. They were never a good idea and thank god they have since fell out of common use by people with common sense.

Viata

Arcane
In the two weeks Grimoire was released, Cleve is doing a better job as a game dev than most devs that release games on Steam. He is a bug fix maniac, doing everything to fix his game so people can enjoy this amazing game.
Even though he announced Grimoire II: The Wrath of the Entity at Grimoire's ending.

jungl

Augur
I'm surprised this game so well received here. Expedition vikings got me to put it down with the bugs grimoire with the game design. The games balance mechanics are worse then arcanums. The stats don't do anything besides hp. No crafting implemented or manual. arrows. etc etc.

I do enjoy the games exploration aspects as that is honestly all it has going for itself. Blobbers like Elminage Gothic and wizardry 8 blow it out the water. Maybe in 20 years time when all the micro issues are weeded out I'll give it another go.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
In the two weeks Grimoire was released, Cleve is doing a better job as a game dev than most devs that release games on Steam. He is a bug fix maniac, doing everything to fix his game so people can enjoy this amazing game.
Even though he announced Grimoire II: The Wrath of the Entity at Grimoire's ending.

Kind of a gag on "The Wrath of Khan." I doubt if that will actually be the title.

The patch notes for 1.2.0.22 include "Wandering encounter adjustments", was this a fix to the issue of the always-onsalught encounter rates or was this a result of the adjustment? The reason I ask is because I noticed a very high encounter rate in 21 (haven't updated yet).

People complained too few. Even with an adjustable setting nobody is happy.

Encounter rate is WAY too high. Lower the bottom end, increase the top end. Hope you are taking notes off this thread. Tons of great suggestions, once you are done squashing insects.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Cleve is indeed a celebrity far beyond the codex. He has his own dedicated page on the batshit 'rationalwiki' :

Yeah, it's totally "rational." They cherry picked 17 years on the internet, took half my satirical posts and presented them as the most important cuts from the blog.

Since I started Vault-Co (a simple blog never promoted anywhere and never advertised or craving hits or aspiring to be anything but a simple blog) the wealthiest people on the planet have purchased shelters for themselves and their families at a rate never seen before in human history. Anybody with money is buying a shelter. They are still telling the common man that people like me are crazy and the future is a bright happy place of rainbows and unicorn ponies. Their feet and wallets are telling a completely different story.

Shelter building since I started Vault-Co is now one of the largest and most profitable businesses ON EARTH.
It's well known Rationalwiki is just an extreme and insane SJW version of an already far left, Marxist Wikipedia.

Most of the stuff that you posted seems to be true. You called MGTOW 10 years ago. Mainstream media and feminists have been turning women against men for the past 40-50 years. It's why you have an audience of women laughing their asses off as a crazy woman on Oprah recounts her tale of cutting her bf's penis off. You'd never catch a bunch of guys (at least in the West) laughing about a guy mutilating his ex gf for cheating on him.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I'm surprised this game so well received here. Expedition vikings got me to put it down with the bugs grimoire with the game design. The games balance mechanics are worse then arcanums. The stats don't do anything besides hp. No crafting implemented or manual. arrows. etc etc.

I do enjoy the games exploration aspects as that is honestly all it has going for itself. Blobbers like Elminage Gothic and wizardry 8 blow it out the water. Maybe in 20 years time when all the micro issues are weeded out I'll give it another go.

Except for the fact that regardless of all that, the game is fun, the world is immersive, the combats are better than most anything out there and Wizardry 8 required 10 patches from its team of 30 people before it was playable after release. Anything I guess to get in a cheap shot in favour of shovelware Wizardry 8. I heard a longtime player of Wizardry once describe W8 as inducive of suicide it was so mediocre and depressing. The colors were so washed out you have to wonder if they only had grayscale monitors at Sir-Tech Canada. Dude, conquer your anhedonia and try turning up red to 255 so there is something to look at besides what looks like a palette designed against turds. Wizardry 8 was so flat, so soulless and so autistic it made people crave the real world instead of a fantasy.

Try suggesting I am making it up - then listen to Brenda's interview with Matt Barton - CHRIST, LOOK AT THE ROOM BEHIND HER AND THE ENTIRE COLOR PALETTE AROUND HER. PUCE GRAY, VOMIT BEIGE AND SHADES OF BLACK. WHAT IS THIS, GOTH HELL?!? Did the last Sir-Tech employees have any color receptors in the back wall of their eyeballs that could even recognise anything but contrast black & white? GET YOUR EYES CHECKED BEFORE my brain MELTS FROM THE MEDIOCRE TWEE DISMAL WORLD OF FAIL.

Check out the color scheme in Brenda's interview - it is as if she has a quantum field effect around her that makes the world drab! Look at every photo ever taken of her! She's leeching the life out of matter around her like the Langoliers! Combine that with Robert Sirotek saying "PRODUCT" 5 million times and tell me it's my imagination.

P.S. Here's something to expect during my interview with Matt Barton ... FULL SPECTRUM LIGHTING and MORE THAN TWO COLORS.

Check it out, watch Matt's fairly colourful intro and then watch what happens to Matt the instant the energy vampire appears and begins sucking Matt's soul out through his eyes. Her VOICE! The cosmos is dying all around her. Judge them by their fruits. God's kids put ENERGY BACK, they don't SUCK IT OUT. Jesus said YOU KNOW THEM BY THEIR FRUITS.

EDIT : We're going to need to construct an N-Space grid to prevent her entropy effect from leaking outside the containment field!!!

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

It's well known Rationalwiki is just an extreme and insane SJW version of an already far left, Marxist Wikipedia.

Most of the stuff that you posted seems to be true. You called MGTOW 10 years ago. Mainstream media and feminists have been turning women against men for the past 40-50 years. It's why you have an audience of women laughing their asses off as a crazy woman on Oprah recounts her tale of cutting her bf's penis off. You'd never catch a bunch of guys (at least in the West) laughing about a guy mutilating his ex gf for cheating on him.

I know, whenever you present the reverse situation, instantly people recognize it as totally insane.

You're sitting with your bro and he starts laughing, "So like this bitch is telling me I need to make more money if I want her to love me, then I cut off her breasts and clitoris! I showed her! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" (Every man in the room goes pale and begins shaking with horror at this psychopath)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom