Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS recommendations?

deama

Prophet
Hmpfh, difficult tastes. Your base-buiding focus does not allow for stuff like Battlezone or Myth.

Sci-fi.

Total Annihilation (plus its Fantasy cousin, TA: Kingdoms and its modern heir, Supreme Commander). Weird in scale. Base-building is essential (in SP TA base-pushing is a legit strategy). Kingdoms has issues, but the campaign tries to be more varied and the factions distinctive. Fuck the Iron Plague though.

Z: Steel Soldiers. Old-style, C&C style. I don't think it's up your alley though.

Perimeter. YOU LIKE BASE BUILDING WE HAVE TERRAFORMING BASE BUILDING AND BAD PERFORMANCE ALL IN A RUSSIAN RTS PACKAGE

Fantasy

Warrior Kings (and its weird exp pack, Warrior Kings Battles). Should be good. Good base-building options. Interesting economy. Different factions. Baseline campaign is nice and varied.

Dragon Throne: The Battle of the Red Cliffs. It's not fantasy, but it's Chinese so it's as good as fantasy for me. Weird mixture of different map set-ups and play styles. Try the demo, methinks you'll like it.

Hmmm. Paraworld was a valiant attempt, but again not what you are searching for.
Right now I'm giving Cossacks 3 a go. The campaign is kinda annoying so I think I'll skip it and play some skirmish matches, after I'm done with those I'll give warrior kings a go, I remember playing that as a kid, though I also remember being annoyed by how slow it is; is there an in-built speed up option? If there isn't, I'll just speedhack it then.

I played total anihilation half a decade ago, I remember liking the concept, but I didn't play much of it, so I probably didn't like it (maybe I didn't like the controls? I don't remember).

I donno about that dragon throne game, I'll have to think about it. I played a demo to it when I was a kid, and I remember being very confused.

I love me some base building honestly, especially making a huge base full of walls and towers and whatever cool defenses one might make.
Ye, it's great, until you realise there's a defence tower cap, and now you can't finish your giant tower square of death...

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It's been a while since I played a decent strategy game, can anyone recommend me any good ones? I was thinking of something like warcraft 3 or stronghold.

Here are some I didn't like:
  • Apart from stronghold crusaders and the original, I didn't like any of the other ones.
  • Didn't like warcraft 2 much, felt clunky in controls.
  • I played dawn of war 40k dark crusade or whatever it was called, the one with the green robots; I didn't like it much, it felt clunky in it's controls and it didn't have any story whatsoever; and the base building was unsatisfactory
  • Majesty 2 -- I played this several years ago and didn't enjoy it, base building was weak, and I can't even remember the story.
Some I liked:
  • As mentioned, I like stronghold (the original and crusaders) a lot, but I can't seem to find anything close to it. The stuff I liked the most in stronghold was the 2D sprite based artwork, great base building and large-ish armies, as well as the touch of npcs just working or strolling around your base.
  • I liked warcraft because the story was good and the base building was decent, not as good as stronghold's, but I liked it nonetherless.
  • Another game I liked was heroes of annihilated empires, but the base building was a bit unsatisfactory and there wasn't much of base building; great army size though, and I liked the graphics.
  • I liked age of mythology, good-ish base building, story wasn't too bad, and the graphics I kinda liked.
Some I either don't remember, or my opnion is just neutral:
  • I played one of the command and conquer games(some 2D one), but didn't like it much(don't remember why), although I'm more open to trying them if it's good enough.
  • I kinda liked spellforce, but the story, and base building was not that good.
  • Battle Realms -- I played through the white wolf campaign a long time ago, but recently I can't finish it anymore, I think it's because the base building is so bare bones and some of the mechanics it had I didn't like (gathering up chi or the ying/yang symbols to spawn mythic characters or something).
  • I remember enjoying dungeon keeper, but I never finished it or even played it that much, I don't remember why; I played dungeon keeper 2 more, but I didn't like it as much.
  • Age of empires 1/2 -- I didn't play much of it, I don't remember why in particular, I recently tried revisiting it with the HD remake, but only played it for a couple of hours, I can't really explain why I don't like it, weak story maybe?

I'm looking for base building type RTSs, so no crusader kings or civilization type games please.

The ideal RTS for me would probably be stronghold, but with just 1 map in the size of europe (or bigger), with diplomacy, marriages, 2D graphics, etc... so, like crusader kings but with base building.
If you played Warcraft 3, you might want to check out the custom campaigns from the Hive Workshop. The story quality varies between authors, but I found decent campaign to sate the RTS itch. I also would recommend Starcraft Brood War. It is old, but I would call it a classic. If you like(d) Starcraft, Starcraft 2 may be another option due to the campaign mechanics (the story is not as good though).

Currently, I am playing Total Warhammer with the Steel Faith Overhaul mod, and it has fulfilled by RTS itch. It has the large Europe-sized map, diplomacy, and base building (well, for a Total War game that is). From what I have heard, it is less complex than prior Total War games, but it still offers a lot of different factions and campaign objectives. Some range from the typical uniting factions and/or destroying certain factions, whereas some offer specialized quests and objectives. If that interest you, I would wait for the next Steam sale to buy it, as it has a lot of DLC factions that adds up in price (I obviously waited for a sale before buying).

edit: I forgot to mention, have you tried Heroes of Might and Magic III, or Age of Wonders? Those series might also be to your liking.

deama

Prophet
I love me some base building honestly, especially making a huge base full of walls and towers and whatever cool defenses one might make.
It's been a while since I played a decent strategy game, can anyone recommend me any good ones? I was thinking of something like warcraft 3 or stronghold.

Here are some I didn't like:
  • Apart from stronghold crusaders and the original, I didn't like any of the other ones.
  • Didn't like warcraft 2 much, felt clunky in controls.
  • I played dawn of war 40k dark crusade or whatever it was called, the one with the green robots; I didn't like it much, it felt clunky in it's controls and it didn't have any story whatsoever; and the base building was unsatisfactory
  • Majesty 2 -- I played this several years ago and didn't enjoy it, base building was weak, and I can't even remember the story.
Some I liked:
  • As mentioned, I like stronghold (the original and crusaders) a lot, but I can't seem to find anything close to it. The stuff I liked the most in stronghold was the 2D sprite based artwork, great base building and large-ish armies, as well as the touch of npcs just working or strolling around your base.
  • I liked warcraft because the story was good and the base building was decent, not as good as stronghold's, but I liked it nonetherless.
  • Another game I liked was heroes of annihilated empires, but the base building was a bit unsatisfactory and there wasn't much of base building; great army size though, and I liked the graphics.
  • I liked age of mythology, good-ish base building, story wasn't too bad, and the graphics I kinda liked.
Some I either don't remember, or my opnion is just neutral:
  • I played one of the command and conquer games(some 2D one), but didn't like it much(don't remember why), although I'm more open to trying them if it's good enough.
  • I kinda liked spellforce, but the story, and base building was not that good.
  • Battle Realms -- I played through the white wolf campaign a long time ago, but recently I can't finish it anymore, I think it's because the base building is so bare bones and some of the mechanics it had I didn't like (gathering up chi or the ying/yang symbols to spawn mythic characters or something).
  • I remember enjoying dungeon keeper, but I never finished it or even played it that much, I don't remember why; I played dungeon keeper 2 more, but I didn't like it as much.
  • Age of empires 1/2 -- I didn't play much of it, I don't remember why in particular, I recently tried revisiting it with the HD remake, but only played it for a couple of hours, I can't really explain why I don't like it, weak story maybe?

I'm looking for base building type RTSs, so no crusader kings or civilization type games please.

The ideal RTS for me would probably be stronghold, but with just 1 map in the size of europe (or bigger), with diplomacy, marriages, 2D graphics, etc... so, like crusader kings but with base building.
If you played Warcraft 3, you might want to check out the custom campaigns from the Hive Workshop. The story quality varies between authors, but I found decent campaign to sate the RTS itch. I also would recommend Starcraft Brood War. It is old, but I would call it a classic. If you like(d) Starcraft, Starcraft 2 may be another option due to the campaign mechanics (the story is not as good though).

Currently, I am playing Total Warhammer with the Steel Faith Overhaul mod, and it has fulfilled by RTS itch. It has the large Europe-sized map, diplomacy, and base building (well, for a Total War game that is). From what I have heard, it is less complex than prior Total War games, but it still offers a lot of different factions and campaign objectives. Some range from the typical uniting factions and/or destroying certain factions, whereas some offer specialized quests and objectives. If that interest you, I would wait for the next Steam sale to buy it, as it has a lot of DLC factions that adds up in price (I obviously waited for a sale before buying).

edit: I forgot to mention, have you tried Heroes of Might and Magic III, or Age of Wonders? Those series might also be to your liking.
I've played starcraft 1/2, thought they were ok, I prefered warcraft 3.
I've played a bunch of warcraft 3 custom maps and campaigns.
I've also tried age of wonders, or at least a game similiar to it, I don't remember the name exactly, I didn't like them anyway.
I did kinda like heroes 3, but I've already played that one, but I wouldn't want to play another of a similiar style.

Severian Silk

Hmpfh, difficult tastes. Your base-buiding focus does not allow for stuff like Battlezone or Myth.
Or Homeworld.

Old Dark Reign might be good fit, though. It had a ton of advanced shit and complex mechanics in it, some of it pertaining to base building and management.
Homeworld Remastered has broken formations, so strike-craft are kinda useless right now.

But you get the original Homeworld for free too when you buy it.

DemonKing

Arcane
If you haven't tried Company of Heroes do yourself a favour and check it out. The base building is pretty minimalist but the combat is much more involved than most RTS games (facing, cover etc). Also despite being over 10 years old the gameplay, graphics and SFX still hold up well today.

The sequel is also pretty decent, although the original is probably the better of the two.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
HoMM3 is not an RTS and has no base building to speak of (you only upgrade your cities in fixed ways, there are no ways to arrange your infrastructure and defences spatially).
Right, but that kind of series still may appeal to someone who has exhausted most other classic RTS games. The only recent RTS game I can think of is Grey Goo, and that disappeared quickly. I do not see too many RTS games being made now.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
I heard about Grey goo, is it any good? With the base building, campaign and controls?

Dayyālu

Arcane
I heard about Grey goo, is it any good? With the base building, campaign and controls?

It's on the same boat as Universe at War or Act of War or Act of Aggression: an attempt to redo 90ies RTS games in a 2010 world.

It's competent and somewhat fun even, but it's kinda barebones on base building. Controls are adequate and the campaign is.... good for what it is, I guess. Nice cinematics, though.

It's very mediocre, though. Like, 6\10 or 7\10 at best. Still better than Deserts of Kharak.

Danthar

Novice
Has anyone tried Northguard?
It reminds me of an ancient viking RTS I very much loved!

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

I've played it.
Good graphics and an interesting explore, conquer and survive mechanic.
There are four factions, each with their own special abilities.
The game also has a couple of ways to win: religion, science, war and trade.
I played a couple games but eventually returned it.
There wasn't as much depth as I'd like, but it's good for the casual RTS player.

deama

Prophet
I heard Homeworld is considered very good, but I donno why, it doesn't even have base building. I think I might have heard something about units transfering over after each mission or something like that, but that can't be all it does well right?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I heard Homeworld is considered very good, but I donno why, it doesn't even have base building. I think I might have heard something about units transfering over after each mission or something like that, but that can't be all it does well right?

Homeworld is excellent.
There is no "base building," per se.
You control a mothership produce additional ships in your fleet by mining asteroids and wreckage.
The campaign does have you transferring ships from one mission to another.
That gives it more of a true "campaign" feel: You're working with what you have.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It reinforces the theme: you’re leaving your current home to take a huge trek across the galaxy in order to find your real homeworld. It makes sense your supplies won’t be magically refilled between each map and you will need to scavenge every bit of ressource you can, and also to make a pyrrhic victory unattractive.

Danthar

Novice

I've played it.
Good graphics and an interesting explore, conquer and survive mechanic.
There are four factions, each with their own special abilities.
The game also has a couple of ways to win: religion, science, war and trade.
I played a couple games but eventually returned it.
There wasn't as much depth as I'd like, but it's good for the casual RTS player.

Good for the price. I think it's more focused toward multiplayer, though.

Thanks!

Not for me then, much obliged!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Kohan series is definitely worth checking. And I have just discovered that our resident MRY wrote the story of Kohan 2 (or part of it?). It has an unusual focus on macro, and lots of unique features (composing your companies with frontline, flank and support units, logistics, unit upkeep that makes sense). It has virtually no base building, though, but it would be a shame not to try it because of that. Kohan 1 really plays like a Real Time Age of Wonders.

You could also go back even earlier in time and try Lords of the Realm 1 or 2:
The 1st has a very detailed castle building mode (but I don't remember what influence it really has on gameplay). The 2nd does not, but you can choose your layout among quite a few of them (eightish iirc), and the sieges are really cool.
They are ancestors to Total War, with management and strategy being turn based, while battles are played in real time.
The micromanagement is a bit too oldschool, with manual allocation of laborers from one season to the next which is a bit too much (because your fields need more people for harvest than during all other seasons).

In a similar vein, Castles 1 & 2 let you build your castle as you see fit. I think C2 has several Crusader Kings like events, but maybe it is C1. The combat was a bit more gamey than in Lords of the Realm iirc, but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Edit: assaults are a lot dumber in Castles: Infantry just destroys walls, while LOTR 1 lets you decide which engine to
build and who to allocate on skirmish/perimterer/engine construction/foraging.
LOTR2 is simpler on the strategic side, but the assaults are glorious with boiling water, battering ram, siege towers, peasants filling moats under fire...

I second Castle Strike. It had awesome castle assaults, and very good base building. The allied AI was pretty stupid though.
The same goes more or less for Besieger iirc.

Also, in the quasi RTS genre, you could give MAX a try:
It is turn based, but uses a lot of RTS conventions when it comes to resources and base building.
MAX 2 even has a RTS mode, but I think MAX is superior.
You had to connect your building and defenses to your grid to make them work, so base building was more involved than in most RTS.
I had great fun when I played it, but it was 20 years ago, so I have no idea whether it holds up today.

You could also try Supreme Commander.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I wrote all the story, subject to a crazy editing pass that simply deleted a third of the words. The setting was mosty established by Kohan I, though, and I tend to think it is better than 2, including in terms of story.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You could also go back even earlier in time and try Lords of the Realm 1 or 2:
The 1st has a very detailed castle building mode (but I don't remember what influence it really has on gameplay). The 2nd does not, but you can choose your layout among quite a few of them (eightish iirc), and the sieges are really cool.
They are ancestors to Total War, with management and strategy being turn based, while battles are played in real time.
The micromanagement is a bit too oldschool, with manual allocation of laborers from one season to the next which is a bit too much (because your fields need more people for harvest than during all other seasons).

In a similar vein, Castles 1 & 2 let you build your castle as you see fit. I think C2 has several Crusader Kings like events, but maybe it is C1. The combat was a bit more gamey than in Lords of the Realm iirc, but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Edit: assaults are a lot dumber in Castles: Infantry just destroys walls, while LOTR 1 lets you decide which engine to
build and who to allocate on skirmish/perimterer/engine construction/foraging.
LOTR2 is simpler on the strategic side, but the assaults are glorious with boiling water, battering ram, siege towers, peasants filling moats under fire...

I have just replayed LOTR1, and it either takes forever for the AI to play its turn, or it becomes unplayable during tactical battles. But enabling 100% speed in the options makes it a lot better (it is at 50% by default).
I still recommend it as an unique take on castle construction and sieges. LOTR2 is more addictive, though (but it can be
cheesed with massed longbowmen as many medieval games).

I wrote all the story, subject to a crazy editing pass that simply deleted a third of the words. The setting was mosty established by Kohan I, though, and I tend to think it is better than 2, including in terms of story.
I think 1 was definitely better in terms of gameplay. 2 had a more varied viable unit compositions, though (you could field infantry and not get steamrolled by dragoons), and some prefer the focus on a few large battles over the skirmishes all over the map that decided a game of KAG in MP.
I liked them both because they allowed "older" people to still play RTS well, but I prefer the 1st. :)

Regarding campaigns, I think I still have to play the one in K2:KOW and KIS. :|

Last edited:
iu

This is one of the most criminally underrated games of all time. It was literally thrown under the bus by EA while it shilled its big-game for the season, the vastly inferior LotR: Battle for Middle Earth. It died a quick and uneventful death as it was not promoted at all and was subject to shitty Gamespy matchmaking. Plus a demo that was too generous (it had all 3 fully functioning races and 2 multiplayer maps) - no one bought it.

It's an awesome game and at least some of the developers were former pro Starcraft players, if I remember correctly. There was an underworld layer of the map that I haven't seen implemented in any other RTS (it's similar to underworld in turn-based strategy games like HoMM or AoW). It looked and sounded great.

I really feel sorry for the company that made it - Black Hole Entertainment. They got shafted here, got shafted later in their Warhammer Mark of Chaos game that was underpromoted despite being pretty good, and got finally shafted by Ubishit with Heroes 6. That was the final nail in the coffin. Talented developers for sure.

deama

Prophet
iu

This is one of the most criminally underrated games of all time. It was literally thrown under the bus by EA while it shilled its big-game for the season, the vastly inferior LotR: Battle for Middle Earth. It died a quick and uneventful death as it was not promoted at all and was subject to shitty Gamespy matchmaking. Plus a demo that was too generous (it had all 3 fully functioning races and 2 multiplayer maps) - no one bought it.

It's an awesome game and at least some of the developers were former pro Starcraft players, if I remember correctly. There was an underworld layer of the map that I haven't seen implemented in any other RTS (it's similar to underworld in turn-based strategy games like HoMM or AoW). It looked and sounded great.

I really feel sorry for the company that made it - Black Hole Entertainment. They got shafted here, got shafted later in their Warhammer Mark of Chaos game that was underpromoted despite being pretty good, and got finally shafted by Ubishit with Heroes 6. That was the final nail in the coffin. Talented developers for sure.
I remember playing it a long time ago (about 7-8 years I think), and I just can't think of anything good about it, it just seemed like some warcraft 3 clone that was ok but not nearly as good.
Regardless, I'll give it a go.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
It's competent and somewhat fun even, but it's kinda barebones on base building. Controls are adequate and the campaign is.... good for what it is, I guess. Nice cinematics, though.

The base building isn't bare-bones, it is more important and thoughtful than in 99% of RTSs (except if you play as the goo). it's the armies that are bare bones and boring as hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom