Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
What new combat gameplay systems are in deadfire? I could have sworn there was penetration now, among other things... but I can't find it anywhere (maybe it was in a Q&A?)

It's not just Pillars 3.0 from what I remember, but new things as well.. anyone know?

Prime Junta

What new combat gameplay systems are in deadfire? I could have sworn there was penetration now, among other things... but I can't find it anywhere (maybe it was in a Q&A?)

It's not just Pillars 3.0 from what I remember, but new things as well.. anyone know?

I know.

It's also been asked and answered several times ITT and I don't feel like doing it again.

Quillon

Arcane
So can Prime Junta or someone summarize what we've learned since the Kickstarter began? I hear Vancian casting is out, mein gott. Next you'll be telling me cooldowns are in?

Off the top of my head --

* Most/all spells and abilities scale with character level: longer durations, more damage, more missiles etc.
* All spells and abilities are per-encounter, except Empower, of which you have a limited number of use per rest.
* Empower adds a few character levels' worth of oomph to any ability or spell.
* There's a keyword system which allows for counters and immunities. Water or Cold counters Fire, Strengthened counters Weakened, and so on and so forth. This is used with both spells and abilities.
* Health/Endurance has been replaced with Endurance/Wounds. Every time you get knocked out, you get a Wound, which is like a Knockout Injury in P1 but also lowers your max Endurance by 25%. Your fourth Wound will permakill you.
* Camping supplies is out. Instead, you use Food when resting. Food heals Wounds and applies buffs that last until the next rest. Rarer/more expensive Food grants bigger bonuses. I.e. if you rest frequently you'll have to be using lower-grade Food and will have weaker bonuses.
* There's a lot more skills than in P1. Pickpocketing is in, for example.
* Stealth system is much more elaborate, with vision cones and hearing radii.
* Pathfinding has been completely rewritten and is supposedly much better.
* Engagement is now tied to class abilities or item properties, it's no longer automatic.
* Fighters get Pull abilities that let them bail out squishies who are in trouble.
* Lots of QoL improvements, e.g. FX fade to translucency when pausing the game, so you ought to be able to see what's going on better.

Edit: a few more, some brought up in the thread -
* Party size is now 5
* Multiclassing is in -- class combo chosen at the start, but each class can level up independently; the effective character level which determines ability strength goes up for both when you level up, but less for the class you didn't level up, and you can only pick class abilities for the class you leveled
* Subclasses are in -- at least two per class; paladin orders and priest deities are considered subclasses
* Spell retargeting during casting time is in, but some spells have much longer casting times
* Items are now tiered. You can still enchant them, but only up to a limit, and usually in ways which won't change the "nature" of the item -- e.g. you might be able to add another fire effect to a flaming weapon, but you won't be able to turn it into an ice weapon

I prolly forgot some, but that's most of 'em I think. I'm butthurt about everything-per-encounter and mildly butthurt about them dropping health/endurance (less so now that we know the Wound penalty is 25% max endurance, 'cuz that is going to sting), but most of the rest sounds like incline.

Fucking Sawyer though, insists on fixing it even if it ain't broken.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
* Most/all spells and abilities scale with character level: longer durations, more damage, more missiles etc.

Shouldn't this say "scale with CLASS level" rather than character level?

Prime Junta

Shouldn't this say "scale with CLASS level" rather than character level?

"Character level" is more accurate unless you want to explain the complete mechanic.

For the record, here's the complete mechanic:

* Each class has its power source, e.g. Zeal for paladins, Arcane for wizards, Guile for rogues.
* Multiclass characters will progress in both of their classes' power sources every time they level up, e.g. a wizard-rogue would progress both in Guile and Arcane.
* However, when you level up, you must pick the class in which you level up: that power source will scale faster by a ratio of 3:1.

The upshot is that if you take just a single level in another class, your abilities in that class will scale up with your level, just at a slower rate than the abilities for your primary class. You also won't gain any new abilities for that class. I.e. if you've dipped 1 level into Wizard, your Minoletta's Minor Missiles will get more powerful, but you won't be able to cast a 2nd-level spell unless you level up in Wizard again.

I.e., abilities scale with character level, but abilities of your primary class will scale faster.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I did not know that the class you didn't level up in gets a power boost, too. So, yeah, character level is more appropriate if that's the case.

Prime Junta

I am not sure if he is completely correct, as far as I know, you only get that character level "increase" if you do actually pick the secondary class on level up.

No, once you've picked a class, it scales.

However it doesn't matter when you pick it. W1/R10 will have Guile at the same level regardless of if you picked the wizard class on level 1 or level 11.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

Very cool feature to have so we can maybe start up a Codex adventure repository of our final save games even if you can just fiddle with the settings and make your own or choose your own endgame state which is a shame because I think just having a place to share them instead would be a lot more fun and create a social network so if you did T,X,Z and learn such a combination for an ending is so very rare you can share your endgame with other people. Probably won't be sharing that much then if they offer the ability to pick and choose how you want a file endgame save to be from Pillars but it is understandable because not a lot of people have multiple choice endgame saves or would have the time to replay Pillars of Eternity again just to have a different result.

Still a smart feature to add for everyone to use. :salute:

Thanks,
Sherry

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
New face looks too manly compared to how I imagined Aloth (gay).

Getting a bit of an Elrond vibe from him, honestly.

Compare this very effete portrait to the square jaw of the 3D model.

265px-Aloth-portrait.jpg

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
New face looks too manly compared to how I imagined Aloth (gay).

Getting a bit of an Elrond vibe from him, honestly.

Compare this very effete portrait to the square jaw of the 3D model.

Absolutely... and I wasn't disputing that there's a marked difference at all. :) Just feels like whoever decided to reimagine Aloth for the POE2 avatar did so by throwing in some Elrond for good measure. :D

Prime Junta

Yes but I am fairly certain unless you pick W2 to acquire the cumulative "power source", your arcane will be at same level.

You're mistaken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom