Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight 2 is a MASSIVE incline

Well, you did make it seem like you're addressing me in particular.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
But beta was only the first act. Yes it might seem too easy on Veteran, except that around halfway through second act difficulty rockets up and you start getting one-shot killed more and more. Which is why I don't really see how playing hardcore would be that rewarding, but eh, I'll give it a go if you insist.

Again, oblivious as to the nature of the game past a few hours in. Already started a softcore (?) character after losing a few hardcore ones because I actually want to see the game past that point this time.

I'm in GMT-3, but I work non-established shifts which makes my play times kind of erratic. For instance, I'm going to be able to play until about 1pm today, then again at around 9pm, but tomorrow it'll be different and I'll know about it later today. Such is life. :oops:

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
:necro:

Been playing this lately.

First started as a Cannon Engineer on Veteran. Was a drag until I got a good cannon and was smart enough to invest into Fusillade + Fire and Spark + a few hundred points in Focus. He now stun locks whole groups of enemies and crits every hit for some good damage. Still, he sometimes dies because no shield. Yeah I know there's the Force Field skill and I use it, but it's only 30 seconds of some extra hp boost, might as well just use Riechliu skulls.

My second character is a Frost Embermage, I took her all the way to level 100 and Elite NG+++. She just frost phases into groups of enemies and stuff explodes. When there is a boss she casts Frost Wave 2-3 times and it dies. She has 75% DR, 75% Block and 15k hit points so she barely takes any damage, crits for up to 2 mln damage. lolwut, this is broken.

Any good builds for Berserker? Outlander is p much fucked, from what I can see. His gear requires Dexterity, yet his damage is determined by Strength, not to mention that his best skill, Glaive Throw, requires Focus. Bleh, what a shitty class.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I recall playing the mage and just exploding everything. I found it quite boring. Had to struggle to get myself to finish it. Rather play Path of Exile now.
PoE is pretty horrible tbh. Shit production values, tons of meaningless grind and filler. Might as well just play Diablo 3 if you're already fine with all the MMO features.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, I predict this conversation is going to get real interesting if seen by certain parties.

I've played PoE through to about level 90 with the Codex guild... and argued with them at great length, too, about things in PoE I didn't like. However, there was also a lot to enjoy. I find it peculiar you think the production values were lacking, because I thought they were excellent. Perhaps they've improved since closed beta, which I was also a part of for a few months before drifting away. Also, PoE's art direction and style are as close to D2 as any Diablo clone's ever been, by a wide margin. So's its atmosphere, as far as that goes.

Anyway, I think I've had enough of Diablo clones to last a lifetime. I've pretty much played them all and got tired of them about 2-3 clones ago, but didn't fully accept this fact until recently.

Last edited:

Humppaleka

Cipher
PoE was just... Boring. Might get back at it someday as it had promise. The artstyle for one was just forgettable for me.

Aothan

Magister
I've recently done a circuit of a number of games listed in this thread:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-the-best-hack-n-slash-on-the-market.114695/

overall it is a close tie between Path of Exile and Grim Dawn, the former for online purposes, the latter for single player design and ambience. But the genre as a whole has gone into a long-term stasis with many games regressing after the standards set by Diablo for inspired atmosphere and Diablo II for action rpg gameplay. Wolcen could be of interest, time will tell

RuySan

Augur
Grim dawn combat has a much better feel, but poe has much more depth and I prefer its character and skill system

bloodlover

Arcane
I think that as far as berserkers go you need lifesteal. There is a passive skill that gives you that and it helps a lot early but late game 1 level is enough with the crazy atk speed you get. There was some cool build with wolfpack main skill but I think the rest of the skills are more or less standard for the class. Battlestandard, Red Wolf, Shred Armor, Cold Steel (maybe?), some skills that reduces (reflects?) missile dmg and some mobility skill to jump around. Oh and some passive skill that makes your rage bar fill faster.

I never played much with berserkers but I had fun with 2h melee eng.

Aildrik

Savant
I always thought Torchlight 2 just totally manhandled Diablo 3. Could not force myself to play through D3 more than twice. What a sad showing by Blizzard. I finished Reaper of Souls but never bothered with it again. Hob looks interesting so I will probably check it out.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm playing it right now. It's addictive and dumb, but in a good way. Reminds me of Diablo 2.

*enters another quest-related dungeon, hoping to finally find a better twohanded weapon or another piece from one of these armor sets*
:kingcomrade:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Vanilla. First time, don't wanna spoil it.
Why? Is Synergies more fun?
I believe so. More uniques and named monsters. In Vanilla mooks are trivial and only special and named monsters pose any difficulty. Same applies for items.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I just couldn't get into this, not sure why, could be aesthetics and art style that soured me but I just didn't get hooked like with say Diablo 1&2 or lately Grim Dawn. I can admire a lot of the stuff it does right technically, but I still don't want to play it.

Okagron

Prophet
I enjoyed this game for the most part, but didn't got addicted to it like other ARPGs i played. I think my biggest issue with this game is the skill respec. You only get to respec the last four points or so you used. Makes it kind of hard to try out skills and see which ones you will like.

Citizen

Played through most of the game with ma boys few years ago, and 4 man party playthrough was a blast

Artstyle is wow-tier cancerous, but the mechanics are gud. I liked the amount of jumping/teleporting skills that make it more dynamic than other diabloclones

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I've played through the game looong time ago, then I bougt it very cheaply and couldn't get very far. Got boring for some reason, maybe I'm just too fucking smart nowadays adn the fact that the char building in this system revolves around stacking skillpoints into that 1 or 2 skills that are decent and everything else is useless which pisses me off.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
S'kay. The post-game content is where the meat's at, the main game is still ez af

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom