Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel Heroes

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So I guess I won't need to waste my time downloading the update.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, if you want to try it? characters play a bit more smoothly, and this was never a jewel of complex gameplay to begin with, so you may like it.

Gerrard

Arcane
Gameplay changed completely
get out of the red area and spam cooldowns until enemy drops.
So what has "changed completely" again? Because this is exactly what the game was before.

Actually, no. Before you didn't even need to avoid red zones, you just used a medkit with invulnerability on costume core.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
What are you comparing it to when complaining about having "only" 8 powers? Path of Exile where most builds only use 1 skill for attack and 1 for movement? Diablo 2?
Lol I can't believe someone rated you "retarded" on this statement. Yeah, Diablo 2 is what Marvel Heroes would be like if they took away the hotbar but kept the "F1, F2, etc." hotkeys that only affect the left and right mouse button. And then you got Zealot Paladins spamming Zeal, you got the Barbarian Whirlwind spam done in a triangle, you got skeleton army Necros that do jack shit, you used to have the Blood Golem + Iron Maiden combo which again lets the Necro do jack shit. Or you could be an idiot like me and keep trying to make a Meleemancer work.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well, if you want to try it? characters play a bit more smoothly, and this was never a jewel of complex gameplay to begin with, so you may like it.
The last thing I would call "smooth" is the travel power windup time.

Gameplay changed completely
get out of the red area and spam cooldowns until enemy drops.
So what has "changed completely" again? Because this is exactly what the game was before.
Given that they added a "cooldown" to dash powers, there is actually less mobility.

Still, I'm super surprised they actually went through with it, given the huuuuge backlash on the official forums, including the Test Center forum.

Lhynn

Arcane
well, travel powers need a windup time or people will just use them instead of dashes.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
well, travel powers need a windup time or people will just use them instead of dashes.
Travel power windup time is a bandaid to the shitty idea of putting cooldowns on Dashes. It was annoyingly shit in GW2 and I played that a lot.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
The game's lost a lot of charm with this patch. It plays slower and more awkwardly.

Maybe it will be interesting again after they introduce the itemization patch (or whatever the plan is).

eklektyk

Erudite
:necro:

so decided to do smth diffrent and installed this - went thru tutorial with iron man - it was nice but starting currency allowance did not covered his cost so went with black widow
after awhile decidet to roll dice with that random hero token thingy coz i got only one hero so what can go wrong ? right ? :)

as it stands i rollled black widow :) GG RNG GG :) kinda bummed but stil i may hang in as far as finishing story goes :)

Sykar

Arcane
I have a friend who has been playing this game for years causally and he dropped the game in less then 2 hours after trying the update.
Are the devs trying to win the "Best award for studio sabotaging itself"or something?

They hoped that they can ensare enough console users to play their dumbed down game. The retardation of this move cannot be fully appreciated if you do not know about the fact that for more than a year they were updating every hero to the so called "level 52" standard, only to throw it all overboard with this big "overhaul" again.
Essentially they wasted a crap ton of resources for a massive update only to completely invalidade it with an equally big update before the originally planned massive update was fully realized.

I would not be surprised of this game goes down the shitter in the next 5 years.

The game's lost a lot of charm with this patch. It plays slower and more awkwardly.

Maybe it will be interesting again after they introduce the itemization patch (or whatever the plan is).

The game is ruined for me no way will I ever touch it again. A crying shame since the original game had a lot of promise for years to come, but no, they have to dumb down the game for consoletards.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Sad! Because even if dumbed down, I still was willing to play the old fluid experience, just to have a bit of casual fun (with characters that don't need more than one bar lol).

But nope, I can't even do that.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Game is dead: https://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-marvel-heroes-1820475273

Today, Marvel (under Disney) said that it is ending its relationship with Gazillion Entertainment, who publishes Marvel Heroes. In an e-mail, a Marvel representative wrote:

“We regret to inform our Marvel Heroes fans that we have ended our relationship with Gazillion Entertainment, and that the Marvel Heroes games will be shut down. We would like to sincerely thank the players who joined the Marvel Heroes community, and will provide any further updates as they become available.”

Lhynn

Arcane
imagesTGG0P0BA.jpg

Even this guy saw it coming.

Sykar

Arcane
Game is dead: https://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-marvel-heroes-1820475273

Today, Marvel (under Disney) said that it is ending its relationship with Gazillion Entertainment, who publishes Marvel Heroes. In an e-mail, a Marvel representative wrote:

“We regret to inform our Marvel Heroes fans that we have ended our relationship with Gazillion Entertainment, and that the Marvel Heroes games will be shut down. We would like to sincerely thank the players who joined the Marvel Heroes community, and will provide any further updates as they become available.”

Richly deserved after all the BS Gazderplion was pulling.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I lost 1.5 years of my life to Marvel Avenger's Alliance (and I'm not ashamed to admit it anymore). I can still feel the steaming rancid bile rising for this. Fuck Disney, Fuck MCU, Fuck Thor 3, Fuck Star Wars VIII TLJ.

BOYCOTT

Lhynn

Arcane
This is for the best. Kill this thing and give the IP to someone that can do something about it, someone with a decent budget. Then let the die roll, and well see if the game ends up being decent, and if it isnt, nothing of value was lost.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I lost 1.5 years of my life to Marvel Avenger's Alliance (and I'm not ashamed to admit it anymore). I can still feel the steaming rancid bile rising for this. Fuck Disney, Fuck MCU, Fuck Thor 3, Fuck Star Wars VIII TLJ.

BOYCOTT

MAA was the stuff man :negative:
Balance was incredibly shit and PvP is p2w but it is really fun regardless. System wise it was better than 90% of other flash game, even today's mobile games.

Was on 1 month break and when I returned the dev announced closing the game down.

Sykar

Arcane
From the Marvel Heroes forum a timeline:

"I have been following Gazillion since they got the Marvel license in 2009 and was in touch with them because of the site and domain I got before I stopped playing the game since 2014 because of various reasons.
So, I'm probably the very first fan. I'll try to write a quick history down from top of my mind.
2005 - Gazillion was found by a venture capitalist Rob Hutter along with his investor friends and John Romero aka the designer of Doom.
2005-2009 - Gazillion bought out various studios including the studio that's making Jumpgate Evolution, NetDevil. Romero's studio was Slipgate Ironworks.
2009 - Gazillion got the Marvel license for a decade.
Mid 2009 - Diablo series creator and founder and ex-president of Blizzard North David Brevik accepted Gazillion's offer to lead making a Marvel MMO. He started as a Studio Director. He quickly began creating a development team and hiring people. Mostly ex Blizzard-North people.
By this time Gazillion had 5 or 6 studios (Gazillion HQ, Brevik's Gargantuan, Netdevil, Slipgate Ironworks, Amazing Society and one more which I can't remember atm) over different places around the world and investors raised a lot of money. If I remember correct, investors raised around 60-150 million dollars around that time.
350+ people were working at Gazillion by the end of 2009.
End of 2009 - Slipgate Ironworks was shut down. Their MMO was cancelled. John Romero left Gazillion.
2010 - Brevik became SVP and Head of All Studios.
End of 2010 - Brevik became President and COO.
2011 - NetDevil was closed. Development of Jumpgate Evolution stopped.
Gargantuan Studios was renamed Secret Identity Studios.
Gazilion and Amazing Society's family-friendly game Marvel Super Hero Squad Online was released.
2012 - One more studio was shut down. Their game was cancelled.
Amazing Society transferred over to Gazillion HQ and stopped hiring people. Secret Identiy Studios was also there develoing Marvel Heroes. Gazillion has been shutting down studios and cutting expenses for the last couple of years and this relocation was just an another step.
End of 2012 - Investors expected a Marvel MMO to come out by then. They raised tremendous amount of money and one by one all studios save one failed to release a game. Amazing Society's SHSO was a a fairly small project and it was not doing good at all. The board started pressuring David Brevik to release the Marvel MMO by mid 2013 at latest.
Creative Director Peter Hu (Ex Blizz-North member) stated in the forums that Marvel Heroes was not an ARPG and they had to change it to one in the middle of the development.
2013 - David Brevik became the CEO and Marvel Heroes was released. It got mixed reactions and a metacritic score of 58 although the fan rating was a bit better (6.7). David Brevik's reasoning was the game had to come out too early and investors rightfully wanted some of their money back after 8 years of failure with other studios.
A couple months after the release - Marvel Heroes and Gazillion were on the brink of death. The board almost locked the doors of Gazillion but David Brevik assured investors he would change things around and the game only needed some time.
Brevik encouraged all developers to take part in the forums, interact with the community and implement changes to address their concerns.
2014 - Marvel Heroes got improved greatly by weekly updates and monthly hero releases.
The game started making money.
Marvel Heroes was rebranded as Marvel Heroes 2015 and it got a Metacritc score of 81. The fan rating was even better.
2015 - David Brevik said the game made 10-15M dollars of profit last year (I can't remember the exact number) and predicted it would make around $25M in 2015.
Throughout the year Marvel Heroes 2015 enjoyed high praises from ARPG communities and won several gaming awards. At one time it's Steam rating was almost 90%.
Monthly hero releases continued. David Brevik estimated the Marvel Heroes team to be around 150 people.
October of 2015 - David Brevik left the Gazillion. He eventually told the community that he was not happy being a CEO and he wanted to return to making games. He apperantly went very indie and started developing various games himself alone (he's all that's doing coding, art, animation, sound, music, design, testing etc.)
Investor David Von Dorman became the new CEO.
2016 - Marvel Heroes 2016 was released. It didn't meet the expectations of the community that hoped as much improvement as MH 2015 had over the original although the game was still very enjoyable.
Updates slowed down and little to none new content was added to the game.
2017 - Marvel Heroes 2016 received an update developers called Biggest Update Ever. The community was very vocal about the changes in the update and gave largely negative reactions. Developers insisted BUE was going to make things better eventually.
Marvel Heroes 2016 was renamed Marvel Heroes Omega and PS4 version of the game was announced. It cause concerns among the playerbase.
Marvel Heroes Omega's console version was released and it got mixed reviews.
A few months after the release of console version Gazillion went completley silent and various articles about the CEO Dorman appeared in MMO news sites.
November 2017 - Rumors about Marvel Heroes and Gazillion's closure proved to be true as Disney announced they removed their ties with Gazillion and Marvel Heroes games would be shut down.
December the 31st, 2017 - Marvel Heroes is going to be shut down."

It is such a fucking shame that one of the very few decent license games for a major comic/movie franchise was run into the ground after it showed so much promise after a botched start.

I hope I will never see any of the retards responsible for the mess near a game I will play in the near or far future again.
Fun fact, one of the rabid forum moderators had deleted the original post but luckily someone had saved it. Fucking yokels think they can do anything without someone noticing.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So it looks like gazillion fired everybody and the game servers are closing this Friday.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I had fun with it back in early 2016. My friends and I would gather at Stark Tower but would refer to it as Trump Tower. I think playing the game back then the way we did was one of the reasons Trump won.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom