Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
1.2.0.21 R has random FATAL CRASH DUMPS. (Yes, in unedited files)

Several times already, just sitting on a square thinking about something...and get the fatal crash.

Zep--

I played it for about 3 hours tonight with zero issues.

I have a lot of tools running and low memory...could be related to that I guess. Thing is, it doesn't happen all the time and will usually happen within the first minute or so.

Zep--

donnus

Literate
Cleve my man, in case you haven't seen Baxander's video review:

Worth an un-ignore since he's now converted?

The guy spent months making up a story about backing the game and not getting a refund and trying to drive Cleve crazy. He's irredeemable.

hate to say it but his lets play actually was a major influence on me to spend hours of my time defending the game. it's a pretty good lets play all things considered too, actually pretty fun to watch. his anti-Cleve videos have <2000 views so I'd say that ultimately his influence has been positive, especially with him explicitly demonstrating to people that it's acceptable to admit you're wrong and change your opinion. the vast majority of people aren't even really cut out for such behavior. he might be dumb in some ways, however personally I would say he has been positive when you do a cost benefit analysis

donnus

Literate
I had a question about Wizardry 7 and figured this would be a decent place to ask it. I could take it to another thread but fuck it, I figured since this game was what influenced me strongly to give this old DOS game my full attention (thank God) I might as well ask it to real fans. I tried googling it a bit but honestly I really haven't been able to find easy answers to a lot of my questions but that's a terrible excuse. Just going to see if anyone will give me the answer for free:

1. the amulet of life: can I use this infinitely? I read somewhere you have to recharge it but that place also said it only has 5 uses, and I've used it more than that I think. come to think of it I could theoretically just test out the theory by experiment. that said, if it does take recharges how do you even do that? I went to a fountain and tried clicking on different stuff and it failed. I'll test my experiment but damn I want that cheap, free shortcut to the answer lol

actually that's all for now. I'm having trouble with curing poisoning which is the reason I ask this. every time I get mass poisoned, since I don't have the best potions for it like half my people die, which is why I usually use the amulet. after that I can just basically keep doing that until everyone is cured, for now at least. that's one strategy, since my guy with Cure Poison doesn't seem cut out for actually curing more than one person at a time. I'd be fine with backtracking for potions to cure it but I'd probably have to look that up too. I'm fine with that, but if there is another solution to the poison problem ... it's starting to piss me a bit. these fuckers keep poisoning my party and I have to waste amulet charges on them.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I had a question about Wizardry 7 and figured this would be a decent place to ask it. I could take it to another thread but fuck it, I figured since this game was what influenced me strongly to give this old DOS game my full attention (thank God) I might as well ask it to real fans. I tried googling it a bit but honestly I really haven't been able to find easy answers to a lot of my questions but that's a terrible excuse. Just going to see if anyone will give me the answer for free:

1. the amulet of life: can I use this infinitely? I read somewhere you have to recharge it but that place also said it only has 5 uses, and I've used it more than that I think. come to think of it I could theoretically just test out the theory by experiment. that said, if it does take recharges how do you even do that? I went to a fountain and tried clicking on different stuff and it failed. I'll test my experiment but damn I want that cheap, free shortcut to the answer lol

actually that's all for now. I'm having trouble with curing poisoning which is the reason I ask this. every time I get mass poisoned, since I don't have the best potions for it like half my people die, which is why I usually use the amulet. after that I can just basically keep doing that until everyone is cured, for now at least. that's one strategy, since my guy with Cure Poison doesn't seem cut out for actually curing more than one person at a time. I'd be fine with backtracking for potions to cure it but I'd probably have to look that up too. I'm fine with that, but if there is another solution to the poison problem ... it's starting to piss me a bit. these fuckers keep poisoning my party and I have to waste amulet charges on them.

I think you should post this here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-wizardry-series-thread.80585/page-211

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Thank you, Cleve. Really thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Wiz 7 (followed closely by Wiz6) was one of my most beloved games, and Grimoire really plays like Wizardry 8 if it was made in 90s instead of 2000. (Wiz8 was OKish, but I do not liked a lot of things in it).
Grimoire is not perfect, and some your interface decisions are questionable. but,fuck, it's absolutely awesome game.

I'm in the Samhain now.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Grimoire not "properly balanced", according to the triple A standards of today adds to its oldschool appeal at least for me. What others said, getting increasingly powerful and finally roflstomping (certain) enemies is part of the appeal, same goes for discovering potentially OP or even broken weapons or items (the latter to be patched out or toned down naturally).

Viata

Arcane
getting increasingly powerful and finally roflstomping (certain) enemies is part of the appeal
While I do agree with you, I also think that it shouldn't be that easy to get to this point. Cleve fixed, to some point, the Bard now. That makes it hard to get 100 on Music. But if you do get 100 on Music, then you could spam things left and right. You earn that right. Although it's not hard to get at 100 in any skill if you focus only on that.

Even though there is a lot of combat in Grimoire, I feel like it's not the main aspect of the game. Yes, it's easy to break, but what is really amazing are the maps themselves and the puzzles - it almost feels like a pure adventure game at times. Combat can of course be satisfying and it would be nice if it were eventually properly balanced and I'm sure it will get there (stuff like Sleep being more resistable which is something Cleve mentioned is happening, and also Deep Freeze being vastly OP), but it's really not the main focus of the game IMO.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Vdrp6ow.jpg

just killed the 3 suckers in the woods. with just 2 fairies. how exactly is this a hard game again? i'm thinking of dropping my self made fairy and running an all npc party.

Never tried it but playing the entire game with a party of female fairies might be awesome.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Gifted my Indiegogo key to a GOG friend, and bought another one for myself. Yeah I missed the discount window, but I feel... cleansed somehow, knowing that somewhere out there, an entity is watching over me, acknowledging my deeds.

(also because Cleve was a true bro, admitting, acknowledging and rectifying his mistake of banning DavidBVal)

At least the bullet I took wasn't in vain then.

P.S.: I am still banned, Cleveland Mark Blakemore

I unbanned you about 8 hours ago.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Oh, and two things I haven't seen mentioned earlier.
  • It seems Fatal Blow doesn't proc on Metalsmiths. I have a party with a Berserker, Ranger and Metalsmith. At appr. 20 it started proccing reliably for the other two, but the Smith is shit outta luck. Could it be a bug or is there some interaction with other stats?
  • Hide and Backstab are completely useless. Even with 100 Stealth my Thief can only hide if all enemies are CC'ed. If Backstab procs it also only does double damage, which seems pretty underwhelming. Maybe it will improve with levels (only around 20ish atm), but comparing it to the Serker it seems laughably bad.

... because I already had the complex code working and tested for casting an illusion, I sort of recycled it for stealth. Basically you have to fool every single monster in the opposing group when you go to hide. If a single one of them sees you then you can't hide. In review it is clearly way too grognard.

I think I am replacing this with another factor vs STEALTH skill with a more reasonable outcome very shortly. It's just too strict and no fun. I doubt if it would be that hard to hide in the middle of a battle and then backstab the opponents from hiding.

donnus

Literate

I think you should post this here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-wizardry-series-thread.80585/page-211
ok. thanks for the link. hope i can join y'all asap with grimoire.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, and two things I haven't seen mentioned earlier.
  • It seems Fatal Blow doesn't proc on Metalsmiths. I have a party with a Berserker, Ranger and Metalsmith. At appr. 20 it started proccing reliably for the other two, but the Smith is shit outta luck. Could it be a bug or is there some interaction with other stats?
  • Hide and Backstab are completely useless. Even with 100 Stealth my Thief can only hide if all enemies are CC'ed. If Backstab procs it also only does double damage, which seems pretty underwhelming. Maybe it will improve with levels (only around 20ish atm), but comparing it to the Serker it seems laughably bad.

... because I already had the complex code working and tested for casting an illusion, I sort of recycled it for stealth. Basically you have to fool every single monster in the opposing group when you go to hide. If a single one of them sees you then you can't hide. In review it is clearly way too grognard.

I think I am replacing this with another factor vs STEALTH skill with a more reasonable outcome very shortly. It's just too strict and no fun. I doubt if it would be that hard to hide in the middle of a battle and then backstab the opponents from hiding.

what is the point of leveling stealth and backstabbing if all you get is turn 1 hide turn 2 double damage - instead you could have just attacked 2 turns for the same potential damage...

Draxylon

Savant
The guy spent months making up a story about backing the game and not getting a refund and trying to drive Cleve crazy. He's irredeemable.

If I were him I would delete those videos that has been proved they are wrong. He´s having fun with the game and want to show his joy playing it. Should leave the LP so he will contribute to the incline...

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
My impression from the bard in my party is actually bad, first no race can be a "good" bard so no bonus points while everyone else in my party get a ton per level up and the fact that the music skill does not level up on its own at all makes it even worse. ( I started the game with the "fixed music skill )

And combat goes something like this:
PC 1 attacks
PC 2 attacks
Monster A attacks
Bard ( PC 3 ) sleeps monster A and monster B
PC 4 attacks - monster A wakes up
PC 5 attacks - monster B wakes up
Monster B attacks

I later switch to a paralyzing lyre and had the same results ( instead of sleep breaking the paralyze breaks... )
What am I missing here? how is this OP?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Will I miss actual content for having an 8 people party and not recruiting any NPCs?

Not really. There are a few NPC's that give one way to solve a puzzle when they join you, but you can solve everything without having NPC's joining you, as far as I know.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
My impression from the bard in my party is actually bad, first no race can be a "good" bard so no bonus points while everyone else in my party get a ton per level up and the fact that the music skill does not level up on its own at all makes it even worse. ( I started the game with the "fixed music skill )

And combat goes something like this:
PC 1 attacks
PC 2 attacks
Monster A attacks
Bard ( PC 3 ) sleeps monster A and monster B
PC 4 attacks - monster A wakes up
PC 5 attacks - monster B wakes up
Monster B attacks

I later switch to a paralyzing lyre and had the same results ( instead of sleep breaking the paralyze breaks... )
What am I missing here? how is this OP?

I think the Music skill still goes up with use, just not in every combat like before. As to the order of attack, well, have only spell casters attack after the Bard - spells don't wake up monsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom