Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Gifted my Indiegogo key to a GOG friend, and bought another one for myself. Yeah I missed the discount window, but I feel... cleansed somehow, knowing that somewhere out there, an entity is watching over me, acknowledging my deeds.

so_good.jpg

(also because Cleve was a true bro, admitting, acknowledging and rectifying his mistake of banning DavidBVal)

At least the bullet I took wasn't in vain then.

P.S.: I am still banned, Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Cleve could've been factoring in replayability. You can't play every class on one playthrough. You can't use every race on one playthrough. You probably can't even hit max level by the end of the game, so you have to factor in grinding into the max playtime as well. Also, you can't steal a quest item on one playthrough while simultaneously getting it legitimately, so there's even more replayability. You can't murder Little Rosy and also take her with you, etc etc.

Or it could be that there is a lot of backtracking during the endgame.

I'm sure the game has up to 600 hours on hardest setting with onslaught wandering monsters. The backtracking takes no time at all, by the way - there is autowalk and there are Moongate teleporters later.

That's true.

I'd also like to see the playtime for people who don't use any guides whatsoever, playing blind I'm sure adds a lot of playtime simply figuring out what to do.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Just bought a gun, learn firearm and accuracy in a secret part of the dungeon while killing Aliens and Robots. This games keeps getting better.

Since you're 70% or so into map completion, do we start seeing different tile sets later on? I've been seeing the same 3 tile sets so far. I'm not complaining, but would be cool if the
ayyy lmao
looked sci-fi.

Weasel
There are also the "non mandatory" areas to consider (eg: below). But people will have different playstyles and the "up to 600 hrs" has always implied an upper limit, rather than average imo. Even 100 hours is still a big game.

mRVefrq.png

Viata

Arcane
Just bought a gun, learn firearm and accuracy in a secret part of the dungeon while killing Aliens and Robots. This games keeps getting better.

Since you're 70% or so into map completion, do we start seeing different tile sets later on? I've been seeing the same 3 tile sets so far. I'm not complaining, but would be cool if the
ayyy lmao
looked sci-fi.
Same thing.

Viata

Arcane
There are also the "non mandatory" areas to consider (eg: below). But people will have different playstyles and the "up to 600 hrs" has always implied an upper limit, rather than average imo. Even 100 hours is still a big game.

mRVefrq.png
Yeah, I lost two areas already. That's why one shouldn't press switch before looking all over the map.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

ayyy lmao
looked sci-fi.

It would be awesome of him if he re-invested a small % of earnings into new tilesets and portraits. As long as they remained pure, of course.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  • It seems Fatal Blow doesn't proc on Metalsmiths. I have a party with a Berserker, Ranger and Metalsmith. At appr. 20 it started proccing reliably for the other two, but the Smith is shit outta luck. Could it be a bug or is there some interaction with other stats?
While Cleve claims that critical strikes can occur from either using a weapon with *lethal* tag OR having the Lethalblow skill, in my experience you need both on the same character to ever have it happen.

Pretty sure you are right on this one, but the Smith already has made the switch to a Sword. The Berserker has and the Ranger have an Axe and a Spear respectively. So if it is related to the weapon than maybe Swords don't work with the Skill. But I think it is more likely to be the class. I'll switch the weapons around and do some tests.

mondblut

Arcane
So you are saying we should be able to kill all bosses with 1 deep freeze level 7 spell?

If you worked your way to 1) learn one of the most advanced spells, 2) perfected your skill to cast it reliably on highest level, and 3) have enough mana to cast it on highest level, then yes, you earned the right to wreck anyone who isn't specifically immune to cold or magic for a good reason. Why else would it take such an effort to be able to cast deep freeze at level 7 in applications where magic missile at level 3 would suffice?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Anyone using the latest patch? 1.2.0.21.

People on Steam reporting CTDs from walking and the return of the Key crash. Anyone else experiencing this? Want to know if I should wait on updating.

Last edited:

Winslow

Novice
Patron
Pretty sure you are right on this one, but the Smith already has made the switch to a Sword. The Berserker has and the Ranger have an Axe and a Spear respectively. So if it is related to the weapon than maybe Swords don't work with the Skill. But I think it is more likely to be the class. I'll switch the weapons around and do some tests.
There are plenty of swords with *lethal* tag available later but they're rare in the beginning. Only the blunt weapons seem to be generally a poor choice for it.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  • It seems Fatal Blow doesn't proc on Metalsmiths. I have a party with a Berserker, Ranger and Metalsmith. At appr. 20 it started proccing reliably for the other two, but the Smith is shit outta luck. Could it be a bug or is there some interaction with other stats?
While Cleve claims that critical strikes can occur from either using a weapon with *lethal* tag OR having the Lethalblow skill, in my experience you need both on the same character to ever have it happen.

So, it turns out Swords (or at least the currently equipped Broadsword) do NOT carry the *lethal* tag. Apparently Thals Prefer Spears and Axes. Dunno whether this is a bug or intended.

Edit: Thanks, Winslow. Just realized it myself. I just assumed all none blunt weapons carried the *lethal* tag.

Danthar

Novice
Anyone using the laster patch? 1.2.0.21.

People on Steam reporting CTDs from walking and the return of the Key crash. Anyone else experiencing this? Want to know if I should wait on updating.

I decided 1.2.0.21 was the one I'd start with.

Then I noticed I couldn't place mapnotes anymore.

So now I'm deliberating whether to wait some more.
I want to place map notes and really take my time, revel in the experience.

Haven't had those issues you said, but I really didn't even leave that starting patch.

Winslow

Novice
Patron

The key crash never really left, and you can avoid it by making sure to never hold enter when you're about to finish a battle.

Weasel
Wonder if that CTD report is from someone who has saves from the dud .07 patch, autoupdate was off for a while.

Winslow

Novice
Patron
It's strange. I have seen some crashes, but never from keys. They were always about ?WORMS? and Dark Fairies.
It just means your playstyle isn't mondblutian enough. You can experience the crash yourself by grinding enough random encounters and making sure to hold enter to speed up as you're about to win, and it happens with all random loot, not just keys.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Could be people with pirate saves trying to merge them into the current build and running into issues.

If that is the case at least it means people are paying Cleve for his masterwork.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

The key crash never really left, and you can avoid it by making sure to never hold enter when you're about to finish a battle.

That's what it's associated with mostly because keys are the most common loot (especially early on), and the drop rate for the keys was much higher in early builds than it is now. Cleve said he fixed the issue with one of the patches but really it seemed like he just lowered the drop rate a good bit to the point where people weren't finding any. Now it seems they're dropping again and the issue is cropping up for more people.

Weasel
Could be people with pirate saves trying to merge them into the current build and running into issues.

If that is the case at least it means people are paying Cleve for his masterwork.

Have to chuckle when one looks at the bug report threads, at the requests for support from those who don't own the game but "playing at a friend's house" or "heard from others"... before reporting something in detail. Some report stuff that was fixed in earlier versions but I guess some at least contribute to polishing the gem in the long run.

H4Jtwbh.png

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Version 1.2.0.19
----------------------------------------

Upon returning from a savegame, a cascade of floor pointers I put into the 3rd coil of Bahomet about ten years ago anticipating a feature that never materialized are set to zero, effectively blocking further progress to the top of Bahomet altogether. Massive bug.

I had originally planned for these floors to have animated twinkling lights under them guiding you through the darkness from one pullchain to another to sort of show you what you would be doing next to progress. Never implemented, instead these floor pointers remained set to zero waiting on an animation graphic that never arrived.

I think these floor pointers were put in there back in 1999 and never touched again after that, just sitting there innocuously.

Anyway they are fixed now, my apologies, progress should be possible from any savegame or current game state, now the floors will be present instead of pits under these pullchains.

When you explore a dungeon in Grimoire you are actually exploring an ancient place created years ago and now full with deadly traps and dangers forgotten for many years by everyone, including the mad scientist Cleve that built them in a Golden Age now lost. It is more than a game, it is a real dungeon. It can collapse (CTD) at any time, and there's no telling if the monster you'll encounter will be horribly overpowered or not, or if a switch will be your doom.

The metagame is so strong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom