Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Bohr

Arcane
Better yet: I bought your game on steam but with every patch you release I reinstall, copy the Grimoire folder to somewhere else and start the game from there. That way the steam clock is frozen at my 26 minutes and I still get to profit from your upcoming week's update efforts before I hit the refund button.
very consumer-friendly <3

Interesting, archived. Just for a laugh of course.
http://archive.is/lJwt2

Viata

Arcane
I guess he cheesed his way through combat with the numerous exploits like I did. My estimate is that even with that I'll probably need 150-200 hours to finish the game - I like being thorough on every map. If I had to grind more, that number would easily double.
Yeah, as I said, if the game was balanced and whatnot, no way I would be able to defeat some bosses easily(fucking Critical killing a boss on first attack).

Viata

Arcane
As for maps, I have 100% almost all of them and 5 side-quest done(that shows up on your journal). It's not like I just went running from stairs to stairs to finish a dungeon fast.

As for maps, I have 100% almost all of them and 5 side-quest done(that shows up on your journal). It's not like I just went running from stairs to stairs to finish a dungeon fast.
You can't 100% the game on one playthrough anyhow. There are claimed multiple endings and multiple starts. I'm not sure how much content they represent on their own though.

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
What will never be fixable: There is a huge gap in quality and style of the writing in Grimoire between the original Sirtech writers' work and what cleve added to the game. So if you value writing and immersion a great deal, stay away... but then you shouldn't play blobbers anyway.

Edgy. Now something I know about you is that you are desperate to be liked and you will not hesitate to slur a complete stranger on the internet without any risk to you and zero evidence if it presents the potential of gaining you some attention.

So, according to you ... Max Phipps, a man who needed a prompter in his last ten years in the theatre because he couldn't remember his lines, a nobody dinner theatre never-was actor who died without ever having a box office hit to his name ... this Z-Grade movie actor camp follower was secretly a superior writer to Cleve Blakemore. Realistic. It is amazing Max was starving without a decent role in over ten years when I met him and yet he refused to write with this amazing gift of his for the craft. I guess like you, he chose not to run.
Great to see you find the time to throw some serious kitchen psychology at me.
That means you're finished with the manual, I assume?

Are you a registered Steam user of Grimoire? I have a feeling you're not. I also have a feeling you're somebody trying to justify your piracy of Grimoire with a little series of character assaults against the author.

[IGNORE]
Better yet: I bought your game on steam but with every patch you release I reinstall, copy the Grimoire folder to somewhere else and start the game from there. That way the steam clock is frozen at my 26 minutes and I still get to profit from your upcoming week's update efforts before I hit the refund button.
very consumer-friendly <3

Steam refunds have a two week window, regardless of playtime according to http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/
Second paragraph:
...if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours...
Or what passage are you referring to?

Learn the difference between OR and AND :)

Biggus

Scholar
If there is such a massive split about the complexity of the UI then why doesn't someone simply make a video tutorial on how to use it in the different contexts?
Problem solved!

It isn't the complexity of it, it is the moronic, inconsistent, mouse focussed, contextual, lack of planning patheticness of it. Count the number of clicks it takes to do even the simplest of tasks, (compare two weapons, compare stats, change from melee to spell et al) mutiply that by a bazillion.
Is that Mr Dunning speaking, or Mr Kruger?

I agree it's not the complexity, but I also think a small number of changes would go a long way to remedying its deficiencies. I was going to say it's a matter of dogfooding but Cleve has been eating that stuff for 20 years and instead of making him fix it, maybe it warped him instead.

I agree totally. I doubt that a redesign can or would ever happen, but just a few minor tweaks would make all the difference in the world. Why would you purposely make such an excellent game less, umm, desirable to those who want to play it. I guess the bottom line is that if you don't know it's broken, you don't see a need to fix it, and if you don't actually listen to people...

oh well, onward and upward :)

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Learn the difference between OR and AND
What is wrong with you guys? Dyslexia?
...That way the steam clock is frozen at my 26 minutes...
...still get to profit from your upcoming week's updates...
..if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours...
Bought the game sunday, have another 6 days time before the refund timer runs out. Both fucking conditions met. Your point was...?

Last edited:

Biggus

Scholar
Holy shit, how many hours have you clocked?
62 hours on steam. But I have played some more on earlier version without steam counting the hours, so I'd say 80~90 hours.

So the game ain't 600 hours long?

:hmmm:
It depends if Cleve is going to take 600 hours after release to fix all the bugs to claim the first person to finish this game took more than 600 hours. Although, if the game was balanced, no broken spells, weapons, skills, it would take a lot more to finish it.

It depends I guess I what you define as 'finish'. If it means get to the end, well, clearly there won't be 600, but if it means take your time, do stuff, have fun, explore, and generally just revel, then the 600 will easily be eclipsed.
I don't think the crackerjack coder ever implied that it couldn't be finished in less time, I think the figure is probably a realistic number for many people.

Viata

Arcane
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] Just now
notification_icon_flag_dark.png
forum_topicicon_reply.png

This bug is driving me nuts. I am going to solve it tomorrow, if I have to burn it with fire.
The key bug has 100% save against Thals.

mondblut

Arcane
Cleveland Mark Blakemore You should really tone down Deep Freeze a bit. Killing bosses on stregth 1 or 2 kind of breaks the combat, even though some of the later ones are resistant to it.

Well, that's the whole point of a high-level "deal lots of dmg to ONE target" spell, is it not? The worst trap an RPG could (and usually does) fall into is making all kinds of anti-boss spells (high-level, expensive, single target, very effective as in super high damage/instakill/super crippling effect) and then flip you and make bosses immune to them because muh challenge. Like AD&D games where nobody will ever memorize the likes of death spell, disintegrate and shit, because everyone worth casting these at is guaranteed to shrug them off. What's the fucking point, to cast it on ?WORMS? ?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Cleveland Mark Blakemore You should really tone down Deep Freeze a bit. Killing bosses on stregth 1 or 2 kind of breaks the combat, even though some of the later ones are resistant to it.

Well, that's the whole point of a high-level "deal lots of dmg to ONE target" spell, is it not? The worst trap an RPG could (and usually does) fall into is making all kinds of anti-boss spells (high-level, expensive, single target, very effective as in super high damage/instakill/super crippling effect) and then flip you and make bosses immune to them because muh challenge. Like AD&D games where nobody will ever memorize the likes of death spell, disintegrate and shit, because everyone worth casting these at is guaranteed to shrug them off. What's the fucking point, to cast it on ?WORMS? ?

So you are saying we should be able to kill all bosses with 1 deep freeze level 7 spell?

Cyler Rubin

Educated
Its an amazing day when you can get a brand new authentic 90s dungeon crawler 17 years after the decade ended. It's even more amazing it landed in an Era where it can be openly supported and I don't have to wait 5 years for a fan based patch to fix a few of the bugs and not alot of the rest while unbalancing the rest of the game and possibly breaking every version released after 1.0, admittedly there was a bit of this, but it was fixed in hours rather than decades. Feels almost like I found a small time portal and got to relive it again both the good and the bad, with the worst aspects of the bad being more of a sideways nod to what things used to be like than the perpetual annoyance that was normally an expected staple of the genre.

TLDR: if you unearth a perfectly preserved bronze age lamp, you don't complain that it isn't a Coleman lantern

Last edited:
Absolutely. Knowing the precise results of every action before you choose it in a combat simulation is stupid, IMO.

So you prefer combat that is random to combat that is strategic?

If knew I was going to hit 100% of the time, and I was going to do exactly X damage based on the damage resistance of the enemy, then there would be no tough calls to make anymore. What makes it exciting would simply be reduced to boring puzzle.

That is an opinion, not an argument.

Phoenix Point uses a damage % reduction system to account for armor, cover, and other factors. Without the boring RNG.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
What difficulty are you all playing on?

On master right now. I would have gone for superhero but somehow i think this may be a troll difficulty level.

what does the difficulty setting do? Give enemies more hps? Anything else? Anybody knows?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Absolutely. Knowing the precise results of every action before you choose it in a combat simulation is stupid, IMO.

So you prefer combat that is random to combat that is strategic?

If knew I was going to hit 100% of the time, and I was going to do exactly X damage based on the damage resistance of the enemy, then there would be no tough calls to make anymore. What makes it exciting would simply be reduced to boring puzzle.

That is an opinion, not an argument.

Phoenix Point uses a damage % reduction system to account for armor, cover, and other factors. Without the boring RNG.
It should be both.

Too much 'random' is as bad as none.

I think its a fine line but there should always be some uncertainty about an outcome- But still easily discerned probability and logic.

Thats my opinion- Even in tabletop wargaming a Jet making a bombing run against uncovered infantry should never be a total certainty- Actually recently had this discussion lol- Because things like mechanical failure or the pilot having a medical issue could happen- It might get down into having to roll 00 on D100 3 times in a row but it should be a factor and makes for those "OH SHIT!" moments that everyone remembers.

Thats my opinion for whatever its worth-

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

I think there is a lot of room between "immune" and "one-shot-kill".

Winslow

Novice
Patron
what does the difficulty setting do? Give enemies more hps? Anything else? Anybody knows?
The only really noticeable difference seems to be in the possible numbers of enemies per encounter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom