Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squad-Level Games With Complex Movement Rules?

Ebonsword

Arcane
There's a long out-of-print miniatures game I like called Nin-Gonost.

pic90840_lg.jpg

I haven't played in a while, and, while refreshing myself as to the rules, I was struck by how complex and cool the rules were for movement. It also surprised me that I couldn't really think of a computer game that did something similar, which was a bit odd, considering part of the great appeal of computer wargaming is that you get to let the computer keep track of lots of data instead of doing it all by hand.

What's so unusual about the movement in Nin-Gonost? Well, the main thing is that the units actually have momentum. So, you just can't be running at top speed and then make a 90-degree turn down a corridor. You have to slow down first, or you're likely to slam headfirst into the wall instead of making the turn. Here's the relevant section from the rules:

Characters are in one of three speeds: Stop, Walk or Run. A character cannot change from Stop to Run without
first moving at Walk speed. Maximum Walk speed is shown as the first movement number. Maximum Run
speed is the second movement number. You do not have to move the full speed shown. If your last action had
no movement, your speed is considered to be Stopped. If you moved any number up to your walk speed, your
speed is Walk. If your last action moved you a number of spaces over your Walk and up to your Run speed, you
are running. Each space moved counts as 1 towards your movement total. A speed of 4 allows you to move 4
spaces.
It costs one Action Point to Run or Walk. You may freely change speeds within those ranges, or from Run to
Walk, Walk to Run or Walk to Stop without penalty. Changing from Run to Stop (to perhaps avoid hitting a
wall) is a Perilous Movement (see Perilous Movement).
A character who ran as his last action last turn MUST move with his first AP this turn.

Are there any squad-level games that get into this kind of detail with their movement? I find that it adds some tactical complexity to Nin-Gonost in a nice, simulationist way.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Man, you guys are letting me down. :(

Or has there really never been a video game which uses more complex rules for movement than "move X number of squares in any direction for the same cost"?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are there any squad-level games that get into this kind of detail with their movement? I find that it adds some tactical complexity to Nin-Gonost in a nice, simulationist way.
It's contrary to the interface of most squad level games, where you decide where to place your dudes first, then have movement cost calculated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom