Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

E-sports anyone?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I used to watch Starcraft 2 when it was new, but came back to it now after a couple of years and it's interesting to see all the new strats and units. Bit confusing but fun. Have tried watching other stuff like Dota 2 and Counter-Strike, but they haven't really grabbed my attention for long. CS feels hectic as hell, and the Dota type of games - I'm not sure what is going on in those to be honest.

Men of War: Assault Squad used to have a small scene. Not sure if it's alive anymore, but that game was fun to watch too. Unfortunately some units really cheezed up the games constantly - like the 20 mm flak-canons if I remember correctly. It could wreck most light to medium vehicles with ease and infantry didn't stand much of a chance either.

One game that has some potential is the new PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS if its e-sport scene ever takes off. I mean it's nothing super special but I find the concept intriguing. It feels a bit like Battle Royal/The Running Man. I imagine in my head that the dudes parachuting in are convicts fighting for a chance of freedom. It adds a bit of larping when watching the actual games :) And the new forced first-person mode makes it much more tense.

So does anyone here enjoy watching or partaking in any e-sport? Maybe you got some tips or vids of matches that have been really awesome.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Forgot to mention one game: Combat Mission (All the modern ones).

A guy named Josey Wales on Youtube make some really nice battle movies of matches he played. He is fairly new, so he hasn't uploaded too many missions but his editing is really good.

If you like to nerd out on World War 2 stuff this is for you.

Edit:

Link to ladder:
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/ladder/

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Forgot to mention one game: Combat Mission (All the modern ones).

A guy named Josey Wales on Youtube make some really nice battle movies of matches he played. He is fairly new, so he hasn't uploaded too many missions but his editing is really good.

If you like to nerd out on World War 2 stuff this is for you.

Edit:

Link to ladder:
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/ladder/

What the fuck, this is really well made. He even has a good sense of direction on the action shots.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Yup. Just wish it had a bigger "scene". It's a rather slow game and probably takes hours making those videos since you have to record them while you play. If only the games had some kind of replay function! :argh:

Explorerbc

Arcane
Natural Selection 2 was amazing as an e-sport, 5 vs 5 assymetrical FPS with different units, commander, resource gathering, base building. It combined pure player skill on the battlefield with team strategies about research trees, map expansion and coordination, countering enemies' tactics etc. Too bad the game had a really high learning curve and was optimised like shit, which killed the online community. I played on ENSL for a while but waiting 15 minutes to load a map in some 200 ping server with 20 fps made me quit.

Random video:

Company of Heroes 2 I wanted to play competitively but the balance was shit and every pro would confirm it. The leagues were still interesting to watch but after I dropped the game I lost interest. 95% of the players in queue were some faggots with nazi avatars and names who only picked OP Germans and stacked teams against random soviet players.

The last game I watched as an e-sport was Hearthstone. Yeah :negative:

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well there is League of Legends, which can be pretty variable because the Korean games are at a bad timezone, but at least the commentary won't give you cancer most of the time.

TheRedSnifit

Educated
CSGO is fun to watch. Brood Wars was awesome, too bad SCII sucked. And it'll always kill me that TF2 never took off as one and freaking Overwatch might, goddammit Valve.

PUBG will never be a proper esport. Organizing LANs with that many people is basically impossible, and few will be willing to put money on tournaments otherwise.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Used to watch GomTV SC2 games.

Nowadays just watching a few games of the International once a year.

Steve

Augur
I only watch CS:GO matches, sometimes bet on them. Shame Valve got rid of skin betting because some kids lost all their weekly allowance on them, was a fun and a good way make some GabeN bucks to buy video games with.

I doubt PUBG will ever make it as an e-sport, way too slow and random for it. The winning strategy is to avoid other players so it doesn't make for very interesting viewing experience to watch people hide for 30 minutes.

Men of war is pretty much dead and buried, haven't they re-released it about three times now expecting people to buy the same fucking game over and over again?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The problem with e-sports games today is that the games themselves are kind of shit. Even as a withered man of almost 40 i'd have no qualms trying my hand on, say, a competitive shooter if stuff like Quake and Unreal were still in vogue, but CS:GO can suck my dick and i wouldn't be caught dead playing Faggotwatch.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Loved UT1999 and Q3A back in the day. Right now Dota 2 is the top e-sport. The International just ended, prize fund was around $20 Mil.

Sjukob

Arcane
3 years ago I found out that I enjoy watching fighting games , I started with SF4 and really liked it , was looking forwards to SF5 , but it turned being boring so now I stick with Tekken .

Last edited:
Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
3 years ago I found out that I enjoy watching fighting games , I started with SF4 and really liked it , was looking forwards to SF5 , but it turned to be boring so now I stick with Tekken .

jeezuus
watching fighting games without understanding whats going on is probably the dumbest thing of all
like, how can you understand daigos moment if you dont know what a red parry is and how chunlis super is irregular...? not to mention the basics of overheads, standup mechanics, chip dmg
its fucking retardo
do you at least play tekken?

Sjukob

Arcane
3 years ago I found out that I enjoy watching fighting games , I started with SF4 and really liked it , was looking forwards to SF5 , but it turned to be boring so now I stick with Tekken .

jeezuus
watching fighting games without understanding whats going on is probably the dumbest thing of all
like, how can you understand daigos moment if you dont know what a red parry is and how chunlis super is irregular...? not to mention the basics of overheads, standup mechanics, chip dmg
its fucking retardo
do you at least play tekken?

I don't understand your concern , nuances become clear after you watched enough matches and interest in what's happening on the screen is more a matter of person anyway , also the mechanics you mentioned are just basics for a viewer even for a viewer it doesn't take a lot of time to get at least some idea about them . And no I don't play Tekken 7 or multiplayer games at all , sine I live in one of the worst places in the world for online gaming and I'm not going to play fighting games for single player only .

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It ought to be the job of the commentator to point those things out. That's how it works with "real" sports, like boxing.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
nuances become clear after you watched enough matches
no way, maybe if someone picks it apart for you
youll see sf3 chun lis super parried from time to time, youll never know that its irregular
i knew that it was irregular, i could parry it 1 out of 10 times, i knew what a red parry is
and still i didnt get the nuances of the comeback moment when it happened

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I only watch CS:GO matches, sometimes bet on them. Shame Valve got rid of skin betting because some kids lost all their weekly allowance on them, was a fun and a good way make some GabeN bucks to buy video games with.

I doubt PUBG will ever make it as an e-sport, way too slow and random for it. The winning strategy is to avoid other players so it doesn't make for very interesting viewing experience to watch people hide for 30 minutes.

Men of war is pretty much dead and buried, haven't they re-released it about three times now expecting people to buy the same fucking game over and over again?

It was re-released once as Men of War 2. Shit load of spin-offs though.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Explorerbc I played a lot of Natural Selection 1 but for some reason I couldn't get into NS 2 :(
I don't remember if the first game had a scene though. Will check out some matches though, the asymmetric style of gameplay could lead to fun matches.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
The SC2 casters seem to be really professional though. But then again they have been in the game for a long time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom