Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

West of Loathing - humourous B&W turn-based RPG

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
http://westofloathing.com

https://af.gog.com/game/west_of_loathing?as=1649904300

This looks fun and just popped up on Steam :

Say howdy to West of Loathing -- a single-player slapstick comedy adventure role-playing game set in the wild west of the Kingdom of Loathing universe. Traverse snake-infested gulches, punch skeletons wearing cowboy hats, grapple with demon cows, and investigate a wide variety of disgusting spittoons.

Talk your way out of trouble as a silver-tongued Snake Oiler, plumb the refried mysteries of the cosmos as a wise and subtle Beanslinger, or let your fists do the talking as a fierce Cow Puncher. Explore a vast open world and encounter a colorful cast of characters, some of whom are good, many of whom are bad, and a few of whom are ugly.

Features:
  • a sprawling open world, chock full of danger, quests, puzzles, and mysteries
  • lush hand-drawn black and white graphics
  • full stick-figure customization
  • thousands of jokes, gags, and goofs
  • crunchy turn-based combat (but only if you want it)
  • liberal use of the Oxford comma
  • over 50 hats
  • disreputable saloons
  • several gulches
  • a drunk horse
NOTE: characters are not literally colorful (the game is in black and white)
ss_a0a4391fc3d2a94a1433b7cf061ed4da0ce8f36e.600x338.jpg
ss_836774731de866d7cba5723248d92f7fa810c02f.600x338.jpg
ss_1fde3c7dd5844744651461ef15e7abd2aa6e6a10.600x338.jpg
Link : http://store.steampowered.com/app/597220/West_of_Loathing/

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I loved Kingdom of Loathing, was hoping for a similar new RPG, iffy on this one. Any insights out there?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I play KOL every so often, been playing since '04, so this is pretty cool.
I started in '09 with long breaks in between, at 46 ascensions right now :M Definitely going to pick this up. 1200 people playing right now, the game's a success already. The devs definitely deserve this. Hope this will rejuvenate KoL too with a fresh playerbase.

Ranarama

Learned
It has menu based combat, with an interesting (no seriously) cover mechanic that blocks ranged fire but not melee. You heal fully after combat, and spell style moves are limited, though like KoL there are a ton of items for use in combat. Seems neat. It also doesn't have the grinding (at least so far) that KoL does because encounters per area are limited. Writing is very good, but I could see the humour falling flat for some people (not me though, I'm having fun with it).

Leveling involves a bunch of skills and stats all purchasable via xp, some combat skills some out of combat skills that block certain encounters, like hornswaggling to trick people out of things, foraging skills to get items out of cacti, safecracking and lockpicking etc. Some of them are learnt based on your choices and there seems to be a bunch of quest branches.

Several encounters I've hade already had different approaches depending on your skills, including some non-violent alternatives to combat.

Oh and you can get XP for shoveling turds.

Best RPG of 2017 so far.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
I loved Kingdom of Loathing, was hoping for a similar new RPG, iffy on this one. Any insights out there?
I don't know if Id stick it out for the whole game, as it's a little jpgish mechanics-wise. But it's also very fast paced, there's always another joke or pun or wacky event just around the corner. Enemies are visible and not random. Playing a snake-oiler gave me some laughs this morning.

It would be the perfect rpg-lite to play with a 6-12 yr old kid, it would be fun to pick up and play for short sessions without needing heavy investment or memory of story details.

Hardy Har : It's a WJRPG in all the best ways.

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I love how this game is way more popular on this site (and steam) than a true rpg classic remake Star Trail.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I love how this game is way more popular on this site (and steam) than a true rpg classic remake Star Trail.
We've never played West of Loathing before. So surprising there is more to talk about. :roll:

Are you saying most of the people in this thread played Star Trail? And are not playing this game because it is video-bate childs game like minecraft with no depth and kid combat? Its the same reason undertail is more popular than underrail, even on a site supposedly for rpg fans.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Are you saying most of the people in this thread played Star Trail?
I'm saying you're an idiot for trying to make this thread about some other game. Go post in the appropriate thread.

I'm saying everyone posting in this thread is a fucking retard who is part of the problem and should all be permabanned from this site. You go post in the kid's game forums with this shit.

Lurker47

Savant
I'm saying you're an idiot for trying to make this thread about some other game. Go post in the appropriate thread.

I'm saying everyone posting in this thread is a fucking retard who is part of the problem and should all be permabanned from this site. You go post in the kid's game forums with this shit.
Why are you so upset, friend?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

I'm not upset - I'm disappointed in the lack of support and the hate real rpgs get on this site and the love kids games with super lite rpg elements and no challenge get on this site. It makes my sad.

Lurker47

Savant

I'm not upset - I'm disappointed in the lack of support and the hate real rpgs get on this site and the love kids games with super lite rpg elements and no challenge get on this site. It makes my sad.
Well, feel better soon. I'll be sure to stop by the Star Trail thread now. Thank you for the recommendation.

Liked KoL way back in the day, so bought this right away.

So far, so good. Plays a lot like that South Park game, party-based (with turn-based combat) RPG lite.

lightbane

Arcane
Tried this and I liked the humor, as well as the quests having multiple ways of being solved and such, which it should be Codex-worthy. Bought it without regrets.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This game is a surprisingly solid rpg, with CnC, multiple quest solutions at all.

Fairly hardcore too, what with forced ironman (but no game overs) and no quest compass (even the quest log is optional contains almost no information). Combat is a bit easy though, I recommend hard mode (which you have to unlock in the tutorial).

Tons of puzzles and hidden questlines to try and solve too.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is anyone else playing this? There's a puzzle I can't figure out that's bothering me:
In the learning room there is a device that spits out numbers with numerical inputs. I have figured out which number in vibratese (vibrato-o?) corresponds to which english number(I think anyway), but it seems I don't understand what the device wants from me. Or it's just a red herring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom