Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where does Codex go for tabletop RPG news/reviews?

Varvarg

Educated
I know we have glorious Codex, but lets be honest: this is mostly about CRPGs and transsexuals. +M

So, any other place you can recommend me visit for this particular?

Varvarg

Educated
okey, so I found a few places:

https://www.rpg.net/
boardgamegeek.com (most famous i think)
http://www.therpgsite.com/

I also wanted to ask if anyone here wanted to review my game? It's a tabletop RPG. PM me, if you are interested. It's retro sci fi. I've made som previous threads about it, where I posted some early art.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't visit any one site regularly, but I have the following on my phone's RSS reader:
BoardGameGeek
RPGGeek
Tabletop Gaming News
EN World
Gnome Stew (they can be quite obnoxious with their inclooosive-ness though)

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
RPG.net is cancer.

Here's a newsflash - today's RPG community is infested with SJWs. You have to dig really deep through shit to get to any good parts, or just stick with the old stuff.

Varvarg

Educated
Thanks guys, sent inquiries to the above. The RPGsite responded, and seemed interested, but only if I would print it. It's gonna be digital at first. No money, I'm a poorfag.

Funnily, speaking of SJW:s, in my game, I made a habit of writing "he", when refering to someone. Today it's not uncommon to write "he or she". Some even make a point of doing just "she", or "xir", or some other retardedness. Why should I though? Just "he" is much faster to write, and makes sense since it's mostly a male hobby. Women are welcome to play my games, it's just rare I think. You gotta think about the demographic.

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Last edited:

Varvarg

Educated
everything has gotten so god damn political nowadays. everyone is butthurt about something.

think i made a point just because of that.

Old One

Arcane
I made a habit of writing "he", when refering to someone. Today it's not uncommon to write "he or she". Some even make a point of doing just "she", or "xir", or some other retardedness. Why should I though? Just "he" is much faster to write, and makes sense since it's mostly a male hobby. Women are welcome to play my games, it's just rare I think. You gotta think about the demographic.

Here's a quick lesson in the language, since you're not a native speaker and because even most native speakers have been mis-educated. English has no specifically male pronouns. It only has the generic "he" and the female-specific "she." Here are a few examples of correct usage.

When the player makes his attack roll, he should use a 20-sided die.

The player is a non-specific person, and is therefore referred to using the inclusive generic pronoun "he." In this case, "he" and "his" can refer to any human being, regardless of gender.
A couple more related examples to demonstrate the pattern that runs throughout the language:

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

In the first part, Neil Armstrong was referring to himself ("man"), while in the second part he was referring to the entire human race ("mankind"). Feminists would have you believe he was intentionally excluding females, which is patently absurd.

...to boldy go where no man has gone before.

"Man" in this sense means the entire human race...unless you think Captain Kirk meant to exclude females from space exploration.

On the other side of the equation, "he or she" is actually incorrect, because it's literal meaning is "any human being regardless of gender, or a female human being."

This pronoun mutilation is all based on a myth promulgated by people who either don't know what the truth is, or don't care. If I were you I'd do it the right way, but if you do it the right way, you'll face discrimination from people who have accepted the myth as orthodoxy. There are a lot of folks who've been mis-taught about this, and if you run into a true-believer, don't be surprised if he explodes into rage if you try to correct him. I've seen it happen.

If you're going to do it the wrong way, you should at least realize it's wrong.

sser

Arcane
Developer
You can use "they" as a singular pronoun and most people these days will understand.

"When the player makes their attack roll, they should use a 20-sided die."

I'm no stickler for hardcore grammar rules, though. English is already butchered with "follow this rule, except in this specific case" nonsense.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
You can use "they" as a singular pronoun and most people these days will understand.

"When the player makes their attack roll, they should use a 20-sided die."

I'm no stickler for hardcore grammar rules, though. English is already butchered with "follow this rule, except in this specific case" nonsense.

What about using "he or she" in this case?

"When a player makes his or her attack roll, he or she should use a 20-sided die."

sser

Arcane
Developer
That's grammatically correct, and completely ugly and unreadable when it's done every single time.

Old One

Arcane
"When a player makes his or her attack roll, he or she should use a 20-sided die."
"Or her" and "or she" are redundant, because the generic "his" and "he" already include all human beings regardless of gender.

If you want to see the right way to do it, read anything written before the late 1960s. You will never see "he or she" or "they" used in place of the generic "he."

TBeholder

Novice
News from RPGnow and ENWorld, catalogue on boardgamegeek.com, reviews mostly therpgsite (after RPG.net suffered the deluge of Solidarity™ and other diseased drool), for random fun stuff www.thefreerpgblog.com and 1km1kt.net

Iznaliu

Arbiter
If you want to see the right way to do it, read anything written before the late 1960s. You will never see "he or she" or "they" used in place of the generic "he."

Fun fact: Chaucer and Shakespeare were written after the 1960's. Wow; I didn't know.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ten Foot Pole is the place I go for reviews of (mostly old school) adventure modules. Guy's prolific, consistent, and has rather good taste.
TheRPGSite is probably still be the best general forum for TRPG discussion, although it declined pretty severely from its better days ten or even six years ago. :negative: Unfortunately, the rest of the large forums are dead and/or taken over by SJWs (with RPGNet being the worst offender).

Some of the Google Plus communities are not bad, but they also have the SJW thing to a less odious degree.

Sadly, these days to stay up to date with new stuff I am reduced to visiting RPG.net and reading the reviews between the lines to figure out if a bad review is due to a bad product or a politically incorrect one (btw, these days 90% of the reviews there are being done by a single guy, but at least they are well edited). There's also some youtubers that do RPG reviews (Runeslinger comes to mind), but the videos are rather lengthy and I very much prefer reading a review in about 5 minutes than sitting through a video that conveys as much information as the written review but takes an hour.

For news, there's drivethrurpg and rpgnow to see what's new and upcoming, or a specific publisher's website, and I occasionally check Kickstarter. PNP RPG projects tend to deliver, and you get very good value out of it (especially at the core print plus PDF sourcebooks tiers), with the caveat that unless it's a second edition or reprint of something, you'll be going in blind.

Varvarg

Educated
My game is coming to drivethrurpg soon, and a bunch of youtubers are reviewing them atm. Drivethru is a store though, so I would go by word of mouth or said youtubers. Some of them aren't bad, and can even be entertaining. So, you aren't going in completely blind.

Will repost the youtube reviews here, shortly.

Mojomancer

Novice
I usually just ask the nerds at my local game shops. But after reading this thread I think I'll check out some of these internet nerds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom