Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry 7, DOS version vs GOLD?

So newfag here, going to start Wizardry 7. Which version should I play... DOS vs GOLD and why (art/ number of bugs etc)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
DOS all the way, the Gold version has some nasty bugs and the anime inspired portraits look simply terrible

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DOS version only. The Windows version has a huge bug that all the text scrolls by instantly, so you can never read anything.
I am unaware of any other bugs with the Windows version though.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
DOS version only. The Windows version has a huge bug that all the text scrolls by instantly, so you can never read anything.
As someone mentioned, "Gold" version of Wizardry 7 had the diplomacy bug (afaik, diplomacy skill simply doesn't work there).

Possibly the Gold version on GOG has non of the mentioned bugs but it still has diifferent portraits than the original DOS version. The portraits are in different resolution (i think) and different style, they simply look out of place. For that reason alone windows version is better avoided. DOS version works perfectly in dosbox iirc so there is really no reason to play Gold.

shadow9d9

Learned
As someone mentioned, "Gold" version of Wizardry 7 had the diplomacy bug (afaik, diplomacy skill simply doesn't work there).

Possibly the Gold version on GOG has non of the mentioned bugs but it still has diifferent portraits than the original DOS version. The portraits are in different resolution (i think) and different style, they simply look out of place. For that reason alone windows version is better avoided. DOS version works perfectly in dosbox iirc so there is really no reason to play Gold.

Wouldn't the reason be the automapping mentioned?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Honestly - i only played Gold for a very short time but automapping was integral part of the gameplay in the original game. "Mapping" (or whatever it was called) was one of the character skills. At higher level of the skill the automap in the game showed more details (at start only walls, at higher levels also doors, ladder, etc...). Brilliant if you ask me, i wish more games had it. If the Gold version messed with this part of original design, there is another reason to avoid it. Someone who actually played Gold for more than 30 minutes should give more details.

Zetor

Arcane
I remember playing W7 fully with the keyboard because I didn't have a mouse (lol), but later I found that choosing options via cursor was actually much faster / more convenient than clicking in most cases, especially in battles against lots of weak enemy groups. Is that an option in Gold? If not, pffft.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Portraits? Scrolling text? Pffff.
Wizardry Gold had a sort of game-breaking bug. You can't exit skill screen until distribute all points, so if you have all 100 in some subgroup (Lizardman Fighter and all his three physical skills, for example) you can't do anything short of hitting Alt-Ctrl-Del.

Take that, oh ye that don't change classes!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Possibly the Gold version on GOG has non of the mentioned bugs but it still has diifferent portraits than the original DOS version.

GOG gives you both the DOS version and the Gold version. I don't why they chose to display only screenshots of the Gold version on their site - those look just damn horrible.

http://af.gog.com/game/wizardry_6_7?as=1649904300

My guess is that it's because the Gold version is supposed to be the official release, with the DOS version as bonus.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Should be the other way round, if GOG wants to appeal to the :obviously: crowd.

Electryon

Savant
This isn't even a question, DOS all day and twice on Sunday. Suggesting otherwise would be like suggesting Vince Vaughn was a better Norman Bates than Anthony Perkins.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think there is also a showstopper bug in the Gold version as well. I recall being unable to get to Old City/not get the key from ... not to spoiler, but the guy who gives out the key.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DOS version pleases my eyes and ears, Windows version with that tiny window, the crappy artwork and the useless narrator voice does the opposite.

The Gold version you can't read any of the dialogue. It instantly scrolls across the screen. You will miss all dialogue in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom