Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm playing Discipline, the ridiculous, masochistic eroge, for the first time in seven or eight years. I hope to get a better ending this time.

grimwah8mst2.jpg

Game of the year (tied with Nex Machina). :kwafuckyeah:

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I'm replaying Age of Decadence as a non-fighter and dear God, this game is insufferable to play for more than once with a character that has basically to be built after reading all skillchecks in quests throughout the whole game, or else you will get most probably stuck. The game's railroaded nature is coming out as it all boils down to following a specific path of accomplishing certain quests for sp so you can advance your streetwise/trading/persuade skills just to fit them into skillchecks that await you in the next quest. Also dialogues are so fucking poor, since they can railroad you into a specific decision 4 nodes earlier than you would think, just to hit a wall where you lack 1 point in a certain skill(s' sum) to pass a check. Reload, explore other options (if there are any), do other quests (one or two available) to get sp, go back and pass the check. Rinse and repeat.
Playing as a fighter is fun, since there is gameplay, playing as a pacifist is a fucking drag where you plan your playthrough with all skillchecks listed prior to creating your character. It's extremely annoying.

Edit.
Holy shit it's going worse than I could imagine.
I dropped merchant's guild quest in Maadoran mid-through (lacked 1 point in trading to persuade Lorenza to share the power with Strabos after getting rid of Gaelius) because I said fuck it, I've nothing else to do and all the content is blocked off, so I went to the third city. The game stated that I was kicked off from the guild. I returned immediately, without any rank, but Strabos still had the quest nodes available and I managed to finish the quest. Strabos send me with the guild's quest to the third city, but I remain guildless and even have the quest to find a new guild. I'm starting to think that trying anything else than swinging a sword in this game is a mistake. The title's position as my second best game of 2015 (after Underrail) is dwindling fast.

Last edited:

Freddie

Savant
So I finished all campaigns of Resident Evil 6 on amateur and normal. Doing veteran run now I might abandon.

I found Chris campaigns QTE easy after beating Ada's QTE in her campaigns first chapter, which I accidentally beated on normal difficulty. So too much turn based stuff and my reflexes were crap.

Overall though my opinion hasn't changed. This is irritating mess of a film and a game, where game unfortunately loses.

- No alternative outcomes. This is of course explained that it's RE game after all. Characters go through the most ridiculous of things, NPC's almost always die, but it gets irritating after a while, even if you know what to expect.
+ there is one exception in Leon's campaign where how well you fight has influence if there are any other survivors than you and your partner.

- Cut scenes interruptions come on the way. So there appears to be a grenade on that desk, let's grab it. No, cut scene and after cut scene you are in the middle of floor again, not near the grenade. So I'm low on ammo, let's get that ammo box from that shelf before enemies charge in, no cut scene, and again I'm not near the ammo box but where the fucking director wanted me to be in his fucking film. Last but not least, so let's run and drop kick that enemy front of me. So here I run and just when I click... cut scene. After cut scene I'm standing still next to enemy, because this time director didn't wanted to place me in any particular place. Fuck this shit.

+ / - Combat system, martial arts, weapons, and enemy variety is strong point of game. Yet, controls are sometimes fucked. (I haven't tested though if it's because I have variable fps setting on). Some controls are very straight forward, some require bit of tricks, some are contextual, idea is pretty good. Anyway, controls aren't sometimes snappy enough, I like that characters have inertia, but there are weird fuck ups. Then contextual moves sometimes aren't triggered like they should, something simple, hold space bar to dash, keep it pressed to climb on platform, stop and kick the crate to see what's in it. Try to dash forward again only having your character do 180 degree turn and drop down from platform.

+ Audio. Effects, dialogue, ambient, soundtrack, one of the best works I think I have ever heard.

It's very ambitious product, perhaps too ambitious. I bet those cut scene riddled scenes looked great to investors when someone who knew the levels from earlier was playing them. Online stuff, story intersections and agent hunt are great ideas, overall however, if it has been less ambitions for being action film and more ambitious being action game, it were likely been a better game, and a better product.

Worth for € 5 - 7 for some fun.

Pushing myself through D:OS, PoE, TToN and FO4 to clear the backlog. Only managing to extract some enjoyment out of TToN and D:OS' coop.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Started Wiz6 for the first time, gonna do a 6-7-8 playthrough if I don't get tired of them. After 3 hours of rerolling/getting my ass beaten etc. the party is level 2 now, finally the melee are starting to do some damage and mages can cast more than 1 spell per rest.
Got this nice set-up with windowed + no borders + automap.

B9wxGjx.png

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I was going to play through Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri with all seven faction leaders, but I had some problems working up enough enthusiasm for my third game since the start of the game is rather boring.

So I decided to take a break from SMAC and play the Duke Nukem 3d TC Last Reaction & Water Bases instead.
The first level of Last Reaction is brutal, with a severe scarcity on health, ammo and light. And the secrets are easy to miss.
There is a hilarious You Tube LP where some dude is doing everything wrong. He wastes lots of ammo, misses the armory, misses all the secrets, doesn't use night goggles, and he basically brute forces his way through the first level kicking and screaming "Are you fucking shitting me?!?", and running back to the urinal at the start of the level to replenish health.
And sometimes he screams like a little girl when surprised. :D

The mod is quite unfair. At one one place there is a 3 button code, but there are 6 buttons and the floor is toxic. Fortunately for me there was this LP with the solution.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Started Wiz6 for the first time, gonna do a 6-7-8 playthrough if I don't get tired of them. After 3 hours of rerolling/getting my ass beaten etc. the party is level 2 now, finally the melee are starting to do some damage and mages can cast more than 1 spell per rest.

B9wxGjx.png

Nice naming theme. I'm surprised there isn't a party member named "SCRAP".

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I've finished AoD with not-so-violent loremaster by destroying the temple and holy fucking shit this game breaks down shamelessly if you don't fight your way through the content. I got kicked from the merchant guild in Maadoran, but not really, managed to continue its quest chain. Received quests from Meru, but after I killed him in the ritual, his quest still remained in my log with ("yeah, return to Meru now). Some crucial quest items are scattered in random places, so I hit blockers a few times and went to the Internet to see what the dev's railroaded vision was, other times I had to save scum to see next skill checks that will be required and save load with spending sp to test following checks for different skills... and so on. It's literally impossible to play it through if you're not 100% combat oriented without a spreadsheet with all skill checks listed, because you need to micro manage your every sp. Dialogue chains are so fucking arbitrary save scumming is the main tactic to solve problems. It's not Fallout's reactivity and non-violent paths, it's a straightforward masochistic spreadsheet choose your story simulator. There are no such bullshit "walkthroughs" for the first Fallout games: https://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/282992646967494926/ You don't have any meaningful flavor or interactions, 99% of background is non-interactive. You can't even enquire innkeepers about anything (1. Leave), you can't talk with people, just miserable running from quest to quest to see if your skills are high enough to pass skill checks, so you can raise your skills to pass differently paired skill checks, ad nauseam.

Probably the last time I touched this pos. Combat is good, but everything else leads to a clusterfuck of save scumming due to insufferably arbritrary nature of skill checks. Basically, you need to be a guy who wrote the game or read his mind before even attempting to create a non-fighter.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

B9wxGjx.png

Nice naming theme. I'm surprised there isn't a party member named "SCRAP".
You know, during 8 years of using something-metal for character names I've somehow never thought of Scrapmetal :M Thanks.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
I've finished AoD with not-so-violent loremaster by destroying the temple and holy fucking shit this game breaks down shamelessly if you don't fight your way through the content. I got kicked from the merchant guild in Maadoran, but not really, managed to continue its quest chain. Received quests from Meru, but after I killed him in the ritual, his quest still remained in my log with ("yeah, return to Meru now). Some crucial quest items are scattered in random places, so I hit blockers a few times and went to the Internet to see what the dev's railroaded vision was, other times I had to save scum to see next skill checks that will be required and save load with spending sp to test following checks for different skills... and so on. It's literally impossible to play it through if you're not 100% combat oriented without a spreadsheet with all skill checks listed, because you need to micro manage your every sp. Dialogue chains are so fucking arbitrary save scumming is the main tactic to solve problems. It's not Fallout's reactivity and non-violent paths, it's a straightforward masochistic spreadsheet choose your story simulator. There are no such bullshit "walkthroughs" for the first Fallout games: https://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/282992646967494926/ You don't have any meaningful flavor or interactions, 99% of background is non-interactive. You can't even enquire innkeepers about anything (1. Leave), you can't talk with people, just miserable running from quest to quest to see if your skills are high enough to pass skill checks, so you can raise your skills to pass differently paired skill checks, ad nauseam.

Probably the last time I touched this pos. Combat is good, but everything else leads to a clusterfuck of save scumming due to insufferably arbritrary nature of skill checks. Basically, you need to be a guy who wrote the game or read his mind before even attempting to create a non-fighter.
while all this is hyperbaaawwling and true to a degree
aod distinguishes itself by the different paths that actually exist
merc
assassin
lorewoman
play different to a degree that a new playthrough is actually justified
i havent seen a game like this ever
that cyoa is not as fun as 'riding a horse and killing things' is not autistic vd's fault

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
And Oh My God is Mass Defect a Consolitis game through and through, like holy shit. I find it hilarious how I never actually understood what consolitis means - but now I do...

I also get the eXtreme! memes! A scientist is chimping out? KNOCK HIM TEH FUCK OUT!
His bosswoman says: "What hte fuck!?"
You say: "He is better of that way" :lol:
She says: "I guess you are right"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My god people actually like this garbage.................

Those shooting mechanics....
That loot and inventory...

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
You try too hard, young one.
:lol:
u havent seen me try yet newfaggot
also, u actually try far harder gaylord
and its not funny because we have seen casuals like u amass, countless
in fact degenerates like you, worthless, undeserving of life scum like you, are posting UNIRONICALLY around here nowadays

Mark Richard

Arcane
Dialogue chains are so fucking arbitrary save scumming is the main tactic to solve problems. It's not Fallout's reactivity and non-violent paths, it's a straightforward masochistic spreadsheet choose your story simulator. There are no such bullshit "walkthroughs" for the first Fallout games: https://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/282992646967494926/ You don't have any meaningful flavor or interactions, 99% of background is non-interactive. You can't even enquire innkeepers about anything (1. Leave), you can't talk with people, just miserable running from quest to quest to see if your skills are high enough to pass skill checks, so you can raise your skills to pass differently paired skill checks, ad nauseam.
It truly baffles me when Codexers hold AoD up as the gold standard for roleplaying games.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

you have to be a really special kind of snowflake to run into a wall (or, indeed, any kind of difficulty) when playing aod streamlined mode (aka full talker)

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
wow i dont think i can take mass defect... its so shit
the loot and number growing can usually keep garbage games afloat for me
but this is beyond trash, idiotic gameplay, comical writing, daymn how did this get popular?
its an oblivion level atrocity

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom